Todd Gurley just got a motive to run wild

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Your assuming. You act as if his career is over. You have no way of knowing that. Players know there's a shot at injury. If you don't wanna get hurt, don't play. At all.

Or play only when you are fairly compensated. Like a reasonable person who has a limited amount of an in- demand product should.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Your assuming. You act as if his career is over. You have no way of knowing that. Players know there's a shot at injury. If you don't wanna get hurt, don't play. At all.

I know nerve injuries because I live it every day. There is no guarantee that you ever come back from them. Hell, you have doctors saying that it's career threatening at least. Even if he comes back, he'll never be the same. If I'm a player looking at the NFL, especially if I'm a running back at the talent level of Fournette/Chubb/Elliot, why would I risk it? Chubb had nothing left to prove. He could've easily gone in the first round, and now he never will. And for what? So that Georgia can win an ultimately meaningless bowl game since they have no shot at the National Championship? Some matter of personal pride?

I'd look out for money. Me. And my family. Chubb will likely never get a chance to provide for his family the way that he would have if not for the injury.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
They're already doing that because they got hurt. Myles Jack just suffered a season ending injury, and he's declaring. You don't think he'll be a first round pick this year? You don't think that Leonard Fournette wouldn't be a top pick even if he sat out? He'll go first round easily. Same with Elliot. Teams go after talent; look at DGB going with the second pick in the second round after all of his off-the-field issues. And he basically sat out an entire year. Robert Quinn was suspended an entire year, and he went top fifteen. Gurley was suspended and basically played only a few games his junior year before getting injured. He went top ten, and he's justifying the pick.

Leonard Fournette is already a top five pick in this year's class if he was eligible. Nick Chubb probably would've been top fifteen/twenty.

Did any of those guys screw their teams over blatantly and put themselves first? No. The ones that got hurt, got hurt fighting for their teams. So yeah, they may still go in the first. Being a defensive end stud, which is rare to find, is different than a back when backs don't even go in the first much anymore. Your comparing apples to oranges. Any of those guys sit out for being scared? Nope. So let's say you sit out. You think an NFL GM is taking you in the first, at RB, when they rarely go in the first, when you just said "fuck you" to your previous team, and told the entire world that all you care about is money? Teams want players with heart and passion. Now cowards that want money and fame. You take a huge risk sitting out. Cuz if I'm a GM, I'm not even considering you until the third or fourth round where you will make peanuts compared to what you could have earned have you played your heart out and went in the first.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So a bunch of you want the top players to sit out, because they're scared of getting hurt? You realize they play for a reason right? The NFL is the end goal, but they are playing to be the best in the country and win some bowl games. So screw your team over, and be a scared little bitch, for the sake of a nice payday. And you think any NFL team takes someone like that in the first round? Backs don't go in the first round much anymore, let a lone selfish ones that only care about money. Too bad football is a team sport. If your scared of getting hurt in college, who the hell wants you in the NFL when all the players are bigger and stronger? Brutal college injuries such as Chubbs doesn't happen often. Being a coward, doesn't pay off.

BTW - Assuming equal talent, I'll take the back with 100 college carries over the back with 400 college carries all day every day.

RBs are like high performance cars - there are only so many miles you can get out of em. Thats the upside of Gurley's suspension and injury for the Rams.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
As opposed to what happened to Chubb, who will now never see a dime from the NFL and will probably have a lot of problems walking - if he even can walk after this - at nineteen years old?

It's part of the sport. As sad is it is to say that, injuries are part of the sport. How many guys tear their ACL every year in the NFL? Most of these knee injuries are freak accidents. Even the one in the video is. He gets spun around and his knee buckles when it lands. You can't prepare for that, and I just don't see how sitting out helps. Sure, you won't get injured. But, your body won't be in football shape either.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Did any of those guys screw their teams over blatantly and put themselves first? No. The ones that got hurt, got hurt fighting for their teams. So yeah, they may still go in the first. Being a defensive end stud, which is rare to find, is different than a back when backs don't even go in the first much anymore. Your comparing apples to oranges. Any of those guys sit out for being scared? Nope. So let's say you sit out. You think an NFL GM is taking you in the first, at RB, when they rarely go in the first, when you just said "freak you" to your previous team, and told the entire world that all you care about is money? Teams want players with heart and passion. Now cowards that want money and fame. You take a huge risk sitting out. Cuz if I'm a GM, I'm not even considering you until the third or fourth round where you will make peanuts compared to what you could have earned have you played your heart out and went in the first.

Yes. Yes, they did. DGB absolutely screwed over Mizzou and Oklahoma. Robert Quinn - as good as he was - screwed over North Carolina when he took diamond earrings from an agent. Same with Marcell Dareus, A.J. Green, and Marvin Austin - who actually was the ringleader of the whole thing. Austin did enough to get himself a lifetime ban from the NCAA, but he still went in the second round. Dareus and Green went three and four overall.

If I'm a GM, I take talent when I see it unless there's huge character issues.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Did any of those guys screw their teams over blatantly and put themselves first? No. The ones that got hurt, got hurt fighting for their teams. So yeah, they may still go in the first. Being a defensive end stud, which is rare to find, is different than a back when backs don't even go in the first much anymore. Your comparing apples to oranges. Any of those guys sit out for being scared? Nope. So let's say you sit out. You think an NFL GM is taking you in the first, at RB, when they rarely go in the first, when you just said "freak you" to your previous team, and told the entire world that all you care about is money? Teams want players with heart and passion. Now cowards that want money and fame. You take a huge risk sitting out. Cuz if I'm a GM, I'm not even considering you until the third or fourth round where you will make peanuts compared to what you could have earned have you played your heart out and went in the first.

How many times do we hear coaches, front office execs, owners, etc telling us its a business?
Do pro teams put themselves first or their players first? As soon as a player isn't worth his contract, they are cut.

The rah rah stuff is great for message boards, but in real life, you look for out for yourself first. Every player does, every coach does, every GM does, every owner does.

Memento

Name
Jemma
It's part of the sport. As sad is it is to say that, injuries are part of the sport. How many guys tear their ACL every year in the NFL? Most of these knee injuries are freak accidents. Even the one in the video is. He gets spun around and his knee buckles when it lands. You can't prepare for that, and I just don't see how sitting out helps. Sure, you won't get injured. But, your body won't be in football shape either.

The difference is that these kids often don't have a backup plan. Chubb's number one goal was probably to get into the NFL. Now it'll never happen. If I'm Fournette, I see this, and I sit out the rest of my career and declare. Because he's going to be a first round pick anyway. He has the talent to go in the top five of this year's class. Why risk it at all?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

add to that, look at all the shit clowney took because people thought he was playing not to get injured. even though he was actually injured and playing through injury. imagine a player declaring he's sitting out games. he'll be tarnished forever.

having said that clowney still went #1 overall.

Athos

Legend
The difference is that these kids often don't have a backup plan. Chubb's number one goal was probably to get into the NFL. Now it'll never happen. If I'm Fournette, I see this, and I sit out the rest of my career and declare. Because he's going to be a first round pick anyway. He has the talent to go in the top five of this year's class. Why risk it at all?

Will he? Imo, he'd get no access to facilities. He may stay in shape, maybe not.

Want a backup plan? Use your fucking education. Like 99% of normal people have to. Sorry if that's harsh.

Shit happens. What about other kids? Soccer. It any other sport. Nothing is guaranteed.

If you're scared of getting hurt in college, why even play the game?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Will he? Imo, he'd get no access to facilities. He may stay in shape, maybe not.

Want a backup plan? Use your freaking education. Like 99% of normal people have to. Sorry if that's harsh.

crap happens. What about other kids? Soccer. It any other sport. Nothing is guaranteed.

If you're scared of getting hurt in college, why even play the game?

Because you can become a millionaire doing it - raising your entire family out of poverty in the process?

And once you have made the decision to sit out - you hire your agent - a pro trainer, a nutritionist, etc. Its not like college programs are the only weight rooms there are.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If I'm Fournette, I see this, and I sit out the rest of my career and declare. Because he's going to be a first round pick anyway. He has the talent to go in the top five of this year's class. Why risk it at all?

So what about the schools that spend recruiting money on the players that want to sit out? They aren't recruited to piss away a scholarship and not play. At least Chubb is still in school and can finish a degree.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So what about the schools that spend recruiting money on the players that want to sit out? They aren't recruited to pee pee away a scholarship and not play. At least Chubb is still in school and can finish a degree.

Are we really supposed to feel sorry for the schools for spending money? They are printing it thanks to these kids.

Athos

Legend
Because you can become a millionaire doing it - raising your entire family out of poverty in the process?

And once you have made the decision to sit out - you hire your agent - a pro trainer, a nutritionist, etc. Its not like college programs are the only weight rooms there are.

Sorry. If you plan on sitting out, don't even bother going to college.

You think teams will draft you on HS tape? Sorry. The NFL and NBA are different beasts.

You ain't getting millions when you aren't learning by playing against the best. And imagine how far behind this kids are gonna be when top recruits out there already struggle transitioning to th NFL. It'll be much worse.

Like I said. Developmental league. No problem with that. But one and done rules will ruin football to the point you may as well kill it.

Athos

Legend
Don't think anyway cares about the NCAA man. We all know it's corrupt. And it is BS about not making money off those EA games....

But sitting out is different.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If I was Leonard Fournette, I would stop playing right now.

Man What a bummer for a bright star.....I am a big fan of his. He was out of bounds too and it was his first run of the day.
It happens so fast and freaky in this sport, real sad. He and Leonard Fournette are both big time PRO prospects.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sad. Not going to watch it. I've seen enough Joe Thiesman moments in my life. Just sad for the kid. He was a real talent. Hopefully being young allows him to heal. As far as giving Gurley a reason to run angry - not sure I want that kind of motivation or the injury stuck in his head.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If a guy sits out, he has no heart for the game. Most players that have heart, are miserable when they aren't playing. And when a player doesn't have heart, chances are they're going to be a bust in the NFL. If you don't have heart, you don't last long in the NFL. No matter how much potential you have, if the game isn't the reason you play, your not going anywhere. I'm done with the subject.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
As opposed to what happened to Chubb, who will now never see a dime from the NFL and will probably have a lot of problems walking - if he even can walk after this - at nineteen years old?

I'd sit out as well. Call me a coward if you will, but I look at it more like protecting myself. Look what happened to Chubb, Josey, and Lattimore, after all. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

What is all this crap about Chubb not being able to walk again? There has been no confirmed diagnosis and Richt said he may not need surgery which means he didn't shred his knee. The picture looks terrible but he may just have a severe knee sprain. It wasn't as bad as either of Lattimore's injuries.