Todd Gurley just got a motive to run wild

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If players wanna do this they can give back their tuition money too.

Set bad precedent when players start doing this. And if I were a teammate, I'd be pissed.

I don't blame a guy for protecting himself from injury like that, and guaranteeing himself total financial security and a chance in the NFL. Chubb might have just had his football career ended. If I was a sure first rounder, I would not even take the risk of that happening. If teammates don't respect me protecting my future, so be it. If I have to give back tuition money, so be it. Fournette is guaranteed many millions and he will get those many millions if he sits out.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Set bad precedent when players start doing this. And if I were a teammate, I'd be pissed.

I'd understand. It's like holding out for a contract - everyone needs to protect themselves. Coaches do it, ADs do it, players should do it too - it's not like the school or the NCAA is looking out for them.

And sure, they could pull the scholarship. They are always quick to do that anyway when it suits them.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

But if I blew out my knee I'd be pissed too. I'm sure I wouldn't mind giving back my scholarship (or whats left of one or two years worth) because I'd know I'd be getting a big payday by being drafted in the first round of the NFL draft - as opposed to risking it and ending up like Marcus Lattimore.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I don't care if they do. Nick Chubb might never walk again, let alone play football. Nerve injuries are the worst because you don't know if they'll recover or not. Muscles will rebound, bones will heal, but nerves? You might never get those right again.

I wouldn't blame anyone for sitting out if they were a star player in college, especially a running back. Those guys take a beating, and Chubb would've been a top fifteen pick had he entered.

I'm just praying that he recovers and that Ezekiel Elliot and Leonard Fournette sit out immediately. Clarett might've been an idiot, but he was right on the fact that talented freshmen - if vetted by the NCAA - should be allowed to leave early.

This looked worse than Henry Josey's and Marcus Lattimore's injuries.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I wish I hadn't clicked on the link! That just looked awful. I hope he's going to be ok

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Lost in all of this - what a crazy game of football! Tennessee coming back and they lead for the first time! What you got now Schotty?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Fournette is not gonna be able to be drafted by a rule the NFL set. Their are always folks that have situations that challenge the rules and I think adjustments are finally made. Just like Freshman were not eligible for the Heisman till two rookies won it back to back after the rule changed. Rules were made to be adjusted. Fournette is another special talent at his size and speed and his High School tapes are ALL WORLD. Even Herschel Walker said Fournette was better coming out of HS. Walker thinks he can still play in the NFL as he said on Rich Eisen 2 weeks ago. Of course in a duo of RB's.

Clowney did not sit out the final year before being eligible to play in NFL. He threatened to sit out and was cursed all season by folks saying he phoned in the season and Coach Spurrier kinda leaned that way as he knows Clowney was not giving close to his all. Teams just ran away from his side all season. Dude has been hurt since he got to the NFL. Its the same reason OUR OL that did not get drafted signed with the cowboys over sitting out a year. (WE messed up not taking him with Mannion pick (IMPO) late 3RD RND. It will be interesting to see how an athlete like Fournette is treated IF he sits out next season because NFL won'T let him play. The young man is a FREAK just like TODD GURLEY IS!!! NO INJURIES!!!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Fournette is not gonna be able to be drafted by a rule the NFL set. Their are always folks that have situations that challenge the rules and I think adjustments are finally made. Just like Freshman were not eligible for the Heisman till two rookies won it back to back after the rule changed. Rules were made to be adjusted. Fournette is another special talent at his size and speed and his High School tapes are ALL WORLD. Even Herschel Walker said Fournette was better coming out of HS. Walker thinks he can still play in the NFL as he said on Rich Eisen 2 weeks ago. Of course in a duo of RB's.

Clowney did not sit out the final year before being eligible to play in NFL. He threatened to sit out and was cursed all season by folks saying he phoned in the season and Coach Spurrier kinda leaned that way as he knows Clowney was not giving close to his all. Teams just ran away from his side all season. Dude has been hurt since he got to the NFL. Its the same reason OUR OL that did not get drafted signed with the cowboys over sitting out a year. (WE messed up not taking him with Mannion pick (IMPO) late 3RD RND. It will be interesting to see how an athlete like Fournette is treated IF he sits out next season because NFL won'T let him play. The young man is a FREAK just like TODD GURLEY IS!!! NO INJURIES!!!

And its not just the injuries - its the wear and tear of a position like RB. And if you're tape is All-world as you say - what have you got to prove anymore? You can show nothing more that will impress anyone. Its probable you won't match up to your previous numbers (because of added tape on you etc) so you'll get "production dropped a bit in senior year" knock on you, as well as "racked up carries" knock on you, and even if you do get the same numbers it'll be "couldn't surpass numbers" - even though you'd be like "duh...of course! They were ridiculous numbers that's why!?".

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't care if they do. Nick Chubb might never walk again, let alone play football. Nerve injuries are the worst because you don't know if they'll recover or not. Muscles will rebound, bones will heal, but nerves? You might never get those right again.

I wouldn't blame anyone for sitting out if they were a star player in college, especially a running back. Those guys take a beating, and Chubb would've been a top fifteen pick had he entered.

I'm just praying that he recovers and that Ezekiel Elliot and Leonard Fournette sit out immediately. Clarett might've been an idiot, but he was right on the fact that talented freshmen - if vetted by the NCAA - should be allowed to leave early.

This looked worse than Henry Josey's and Marcus Lattimore's injuries.

These guys didn't get where they are by sitting out. You're supposed to have a warrior's mentality when you play the game. I agree that there needs to be some critera added for allowing guys to leave after their freshman year, but allowing guys to sit would just hinder their development. I don't agree with that, at all.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
So a bunch of you want the top players to sit out, because they're scared of getting hurt? You realize they play for a reason right? The NFL is the end goal, but they are playing to be the best in the country and win some bowl games. So screw your team over, and be a scared little bitch, for the sake of a nice payday. And you think any NFL team takes someone like that in the first round? Backs don't go in the first round much anymore, let a lone selfish ones that only care about money. Too bad football is a team sport. If your scared of getting hurt in college, who the hell wants you in the NFL when all the players are bigger and stronger? Brutal college injuries such as Chubbs doesn't happen often. Being a coward, doesn't pay off.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Right, cause nobody ever goes bankrupt when they retire from the NFL.

Only if you're stupid with your money, but if you are smart financially and aren't like an UDFA, you will never have to work another day in your life.

Athos

Legend
I'd understand. It's like holding out for a contract - everyone needs to protect themselves. Coaches do it, ADs do it, players should do it too - it's not like the school or the NCAA is looking out for them.

And sure, they could pull the scholarship. They are always quick to do that anyway when it suits them.

Well, it's a contract. If you don't play, go home. No use of the facilities or the education. Not that many of these guys give a shit about the education anyway.

If we wanna go to the BS rules of NCAA BB, we may as way kill all collegiate sports. Don't pretend these kids are student athletes and just create developmental leagues coming out of HS and give them medical and insurance.

I don't have issue with protecting yourself. But if you want to do that, you shouldn't get any protections from the school by doing nothing. Just like academic probation can kill academic scholarships and the like.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, Georgia just lost on top of that.

Memento

Name
Jemma
These guys didn't get where they are by sitting out. You're supposed to have a warrior's mentality when you play the game. I agree that there needs to be some critera added for allowing guys to leave after their freshman year, but allowing guys to sit would just hinder their development. I don't agree with that, at all.

As opposed to what happened to Chubb, who will now never see a dime from the NFL and will probably have a lot of problems walking - if he even can walk after this - at nineteen years old?

I'd sit out as well. Call me a coward if you will, but I look at it more like protecting myself. Look what happened to Chubb, Josey, and Lattimore, after all. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Don't give up on Chubb. That looked pretty bad but everybody is different. It might not be nearly as bad as it looked. He's definitely looking at some lengthy rehab but never give up on the kid.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
As opposed to what happened to Chubb, who will now never see a dime from the NFL and will probably have a lot of problems walking - if he even can walk after this - at nineteen years old?

I'd sit out as well. Call me a coward if you will, but I look at it more like protecting myself. Look what happened to Chubb, Josey, and Lattimore, after all. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Your assuming. You act as if his career is over. You have no way of knowing that. Players know there's a shot at injury. If you don't wanna get hurt, don't play. At all.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Well, it's a contract. If you don't play, go home. No use of the facilities or the education. Not that many of these guys give a crap about the education anyway.

If we wanna go to the BS rules of NCAA BB, we may as way kill all collegiate sports. Don't pretend these kids are student athletes and just create developmental leagues coming out of HS and give them medical and insurance.

I don't have issue with protecting yourself. But if you want to do that, you shouldn't get any protections from the school by doing nothing. Just like academic probation can kill academic scholarships and the like.

Its actually not a contract - but thats probably nitpicking the legalities too much.

I think the kids would be fine with cutting the pretenses - the schools are the ones who try to put up the false front in the first place. Honestly, if you were a lock as a top 10 pick in the draft - would you go play a full SEC schedule and risk losing it all?

I know you love college ball - I do too - but these kids need to be getting paid. They are the product that we love.

Memento

Name
Jemma
So a bunch of you want the top players to sit out, because they're scared of getting hurt? You realize they play for a reason right? The NFL is the end goal, but they are playing to be the best in the country and win some bowl games. So screw your team over, and be a scared little bitch, for the sake of a nice payday. And you think any NFL team takes someone like that in the first round? Backs don't go in the first round much anymore, let a lone selfish ones that only care about money. Too bad football is a team sport. If your scared of getting hurt in college, who the hell wants you in the NFL when all the players are bigger and stronger? Brutal college injuries such as Chubbs doesn't happen often. Being a coward, doesn't pay off.

They're already doing that because they got hurt. Myles Jack just suffered a season ending injury, and he's declaring. You don't think he'll be a first round pick this year? You don't think that Leonard Fournette wouldn't be a top pick even if he sat out? He'll go first round easily. Same with Elliot. Teams go after talent; look at DGB going with the second pick in the second round after all of his off-the-field issues. And he basically sat out an entire year. Robert Quinn was suspended an entire year, and he went top fifteen. Gurley was suspended and basically played only a few games his junior year before getting injured. He went top ten, and he's justifying the pick.

Leonard Fournette is already a top five pick in this year's class if he was eligible. Nick Chubb probably would've been top fifteen/twenty.