To all of you posting "Goodbye" threads

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Instead of posting in each one, I'll just leave you with some advice here. A very wise man once told me while I was in the middle of a deeply hurtful situation and was getting ready to burn bridges behind me, "PT, never make any major decision when you're this pissed off." That advice has bailed me out many a time.

Take some time off from the whole posting thing. You are always welcome to change your mind and come back. If you do however decide to leave for good, know that your presence here will be missed. Your account will always remain open.

PT

Great advice!

The final decision surprised me to the point that I'm kinda numb now.

I feel badly for the good people of St. Louis, who have stuck with this franchise the entire time they were there... especially people on the Task Force who worked so hard to keep the team.

I became a fan back in the mid-60's and stuck with them when they moved to STL... I suspect I'll stay with them as they travel back to L.A. (have never lived in or near either city).

Surreal is the word I'd use to describe how this whole thing went down... got to let it all sink in for a few weeks.

One thing I truly believe, though. The product needs to improve!!! Regardless of location.

Stel

Starter
That's too bad, Stel. Hope you stick around for draft talk, at minimum.

We'll see. The draft is only important because of the goal, the improvement of your team. Hard to get into the draft when you lack passion a team, and right now I lack passion.

I try not to make decisions when I'm upset, but I don't think I'll get over my attitude towards Kroenke. I want nothing good to happen in his life. In fact, I want nothing but ill fortune for him. I want bad things to happen to the people and the things he loves (although I think the pursuit of money is his only true love). I want bad things to happen that his money and power can't fix. I want to hire a plane to fly a banner over his funeral (hopefully very soon) saying "Good riddance, go burn in hell." I don't feel good about those thoughts but that is how I feel.

I've come to like many posters on this forum and enjoyed discussions with them. A number of guys here I'd love to meet and have a wee dram with. But, like several others have said, I don't think my involvement at this time would be conducive to the comradery this site is designed to promote. Hard to support the goals and desires of the people on this site when I wish nothing but ill fortune on Kroenke.

The future is the future and I'll just have to see what it holds. I'll probably check in from time to time (addictions are hard to overcome) but it won't be the same.

For now, . . .

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'll pop back on briefly to respond to this, as maybe the first one who said "Goodbye"...

I am angry. This is true. If this had been a surprise, I would completely agree with your sentiment regarding rash decisions.

However...

As Fro mentioned earlier in this thread, this was not something that snuck up on us. Confident in STL's ability to come through or not, this was a possibility in the back of everyone's mind from the moment the arbitrator demanded $700 million in renovations to the Dome for 10 more years of lease.

In my particular case, this decision to leave the Rams is not made rashly. I concluded weeks ago that this would be my decision should the NFL decide that the one city with an actionable, publicly-funded stadium plan was the one they would screw out of their team. I never truly believed it would happen - it flies in the face of logic, particularly if you believe that the NFL gives any semblance of a shit about its host cities - but I did accept it as a possibility, and thought through my response.

I want to make a final quick note about civic pride. A lot of posters have stated that they don't understand how a fan of a team can care about what city the team is in, particularly in the era of HD cable, Internet streaming, etc. To them, I say that a core part of my identity - that which makes me who I am - is that I am a St. Louisan. While I moved away from the region years ago, St. Louis is still a major part of my very being, a trait I find fairly common among my fellow Missourians and a goodly amount of Midwesterners.

As St. Louis is a part of me, so too are the institutions - I'm proud to be connected, albeit by the randomly-decided-by-fate place of my birth, to the Cardinals, the Blues, the great universities, the Zoo, hell, even the Magic House and the Science Center. These are all parts of my DNA. The Rams were part of my DNA as well, as a sub-section of St. Louis.

So, when the Rams are taken away from St. Louis - and in such a manner, where it does not matter what the city does, it's not good enough because one man wants to make more money, and that same man napalms the city and region in a manner not only disrespectful, but downright spiteful - it's like part of my DNA is taken from me. The connection between the Rams and myself goes through that fact that St. Louis is such a big part of my identity, so when St. Louis and the Rams are no longer connected, neither are the rams and @DCH.

I was 14 when the Rams came to St. Louis. I began following football because they arrived. Football was something I could share with my father - we had parts of a season ticket, and went to as many games a year as we could afford until I moved out of state. Those experiences, sharing gameday with my dad, sometimes other members of my family, are what made the Rams special. Sharing wins and (lots and lots of) losses with my friends and family in St. Louis, all of us reveling in this civic pride as embodied by the blue and gold, was what made me a Rams fan.

Now, that is gone. I suppose I could just think of the Rams as my favorite TV show and continue to watch, but what's the point of that? There's no real connection to the team anymore, for me. I can't share the experience of being a fan with the people closest to me, and even if I could, the connection isn't the same. It's no longer special. The civic pride part is gone, and that was the beating heart of my fandom.

One other thing (I know I'm rambling a bit, don't worry, I'll be gone soon) - there's a thin line between love and hate. It's much harder to go from loving something to being apathetic towards it than it is to go from loving to loathing. As much as I loved the Rams, in an instant that has turned to pure loathing. As with teams I've hated in the past, I have no issue with the players, but the Rams now stand for something in my mind that is diametrically opposed to quite a bit of what I hold dear. Truly, I am now the Enemy of Ram fandom, which is a shame, because I liked you all very much.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Now the Rams are just a bunch of players I like with an Owner I despise.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Going to miss you if dont return but remember, if a team does come to St Louis it could be similar circumstances where an owner bones another city. Truth is most of the owners in this league dont really care where they play, they care about the money.

Absolutely correct. I became a fan of the team not the owner. I'm a fan of players who are current Rams or spent most of the career as a Ram. But I'm not a fan of the owner. I understand its a business investment for them. I get it. I've been through 4 owners as a Rams fan. I've been a fan of the team in two cities and now back in the previous one. My allegiance is to the brand. I will be a Rams fan till I die. Even if they move again.

With all that said, I understand the St. Louis fans anger. They've invested their money, heart and soul in this team. Its painful. I also understand if they no longer can support the team by following them. Their city comes first. I get it. I just hope we don't lose too many of the good fans that I've had the pleasure of interacting with on this and other boards. I enjoy the Rams discussions and opinions. Sometimes I think Fisher should read this forum and maybe he can see whats wrong with his team.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I understand the whole follow the team not the owner thing, and I must admit that I still love this team and the players, but man I would be lying if I said I wholeheartedly want to root for a Kroenke owned team. If St. Louis didn't make an effort to build a stadium and the Rams left, I would follow them with no problems, but getting shafted leaves me wondering where my loyalty now lies. Last night, I was sure that I wouldn't follow this team anymore and only root against them. Now, I really don't know. Since I'm on the fence now, my guess is once football season rolls around again, I will find myself wanting to root for the Rams again much like a lot of the L.A. fans did back in 1995. I will probably find myself calling directv trying to strike a deal for NFL Ticket. Damn you NFL for making pro football so damn addictive!!!!!! Oh, and I still fucking hat the Seahawks and 49ers, so there's that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I live in New Jersey and can't pretend to walk in anyone's shoes. I can't impart any words of wisdom other than to say I truly appreciate so many posters on this site (and others) who are affected by this. Whatever decision or opinions you make or made are your own and I respect. It's not for me to agree or disagree. But in the event you don't post and our paths don't cross just know that I will miss you.

…..

Legend
I figure ya'll got 48 hours to maybe a week to talk about memories, whine a little, Complain all you want. Run Stan through the tar and feathers. Shed a tear. Tell how you grew up with this team an how much you used to love the Rams.

After that 48 hours I'm gonna get a little sick of hearing the moans.

Silent Stan isnt even that bad of an owner. He certainly has given the team all the resources it needs. He's just an owner. Did what a business man needs to do. Quite possibly a genius. But he's still just owner. I like it that he's hands off the field. Out of sight and out of mind. I want to see him holding a trophy and thats about all I need from him outside the check signing.

So I separate myself from all that. Truth is that I was born in LA and my bond with this team began there. I did not waver my passion for the Rams one bit when they moved to St Louis. Instead I chose to learn to love what St Louis had to offer. I went there several times. Met several of you on this very message board in St Louis. Great memories at Leclades landing etc etc etc.....

I dont even like LA. Thats why I dont live there anymore. The air sucks there. I sneeze alot. Great airport though. I use it to get me to other places lol

But I do love the Rams. Love the Dodgers too.

So having embraced St Louis as I did, I cant really relate to what some of you are saying. I expect most of you to get over it soon and I'll see you all back here when news changes from the move and starts focussing back on the field.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"It is not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" - Epictetus

We live our lives and things happen to us that we have no control over. Does it really make sense to be so swayed by that which we cannot control? That is life. What matters most is not what happens to us but how we 'choose' to react to it. Some people think that the emotion of anger or hatred is not a choice but it is. You can choose to say,' Well I can still watch them on Direct TV'. I wont spend as much money going to games and I will actually have more free time to get things done on Sunday. It is all a matter of perspective and philosophy.

I have been a diehard Ram fan since 76' I have never once seen a live game in person. For years I might see 2 games if I was lucky. But I kept watching, because I am a Rams fan. Not a St. Louis fan or an L.A. fan, but a Rams fan.

People make fun of bandwagon fans all the time. Be a diehard. If another team comes to St. Louis and you choose to adopt them then sure that is understandable, but if you truly have sunk your heart into this team for the last 23 years, how do you just turn away from it? I couldn't do it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I live in New Jersey and can't pretend to walk in anyone's shoes. I can't impart any words of wisdom other than to say I truly appreciate so many posters on this site (and others) who are affected by this. Whatever decision or opinions you make or made are your own and I respect. It's not for me to agree or disagree. But in the event you don't post and our paths don't cross just know that I will miss you.

You live in New Jersey? What part?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
People make fun of bandwagon fans all the time. Be a diehard. If another team comes to St. Louis and you choose to adopt them then sure that is understandable, but if you truly have sunk your heart into this team for the last 23 years, how do you just turn away from it? I couldn't do it.
In short, because the team turned away from me. If my wife divorces me after 23 years, I'll turn away from her, too, because my choice is not to participate in a relationship in which one side is completely disinterested in and dismissive of the other.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Here is the thing. We all have our own perspectives and not one of us has the right or wrong way to handle this.

I'll miss those of you who don't come back, but I'll never blame a one of you.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In short, because the team turned away from me. If my wife divorces me after 23 years, I'll turn away from her, too, because my choice is not to participate in a relationship in which one side is completely disinterested in and dismissive of the other.

That is a matter of perspective. Did Jeff Fisher turn away? Did Les Snead? Aaron Donald? Alec Ogletree? Trumain Johnson? Rob Havenstein? or any of the other players and coaches? Those are the guys that I root for. I don't root for Kroenke. I barely see him nor know much about him. I cheer for the guys on the field that fight for my team, for the horns.

I could have switched teams when the Rams left LA. Family and friends said, good now you can root for the Eagles or the Steelers because they are closer to home. They didn't understand. I am a Rams fan. I am not an L.A. fan. I love the uniform and I become endeared to every player on the team that is trying his best to win for his team. I couldn't just dump those players and pickup some others. The current players on the team are the players I know best and have become connected to. They are the team right now, no matter where the move to.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Go make your LA bullcrap FA threads. I hope LA crashes and Burns.
I get it sucks if you live in St Louis and are now handicapped to view your team live. At 27 ironically the Rams left LA much like your situation ( not sure you where you live @DenverRam your tag would make it seem as though Denver)
Also beware of what you say some of us have already endured our city the one we Love and Live Burn to the ground.
The Watts Riots a mere hop and skip from the Stadium site in Inglewood, The Rodney King Verdict, The Northridge Earthquake. Any way we have burned and shaken to the roots. We have been without the greatest sport in the world and we have banned together with dignity and pride and rebuilt and supported.
Feel the way you feel express your anger but please know we get it we have been there so try not to personalize it or target groups that empathize with you. Please don't allow anyone saying hurtful things to rent space in your head. They are incensitive immature and likely just stirring the pot

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Did what a business man needs to do.

Yeah he just made a business decision, the same way people are just making a business decision to not give the Rams or the NFL another cent of their money, just business men doing what they need to do.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I figure ya'll got 48 hours to maybe a week to talk about memories, whine a little, Complain all you want. Run Stan through the tar and feathers. Shed a tear. Tell how you grew up with this team an how much you used to love the Rams.

After that 48 hours I'm gonna get a little sick of hearing the moans.

Silent Stan isnt even that bad of an owner. He certainly has given the team all the resources it needs. He's just an owner. Did what a business man needs to do. Quite possibly a genius. But he's still just owner. I like it that he's hands off the field. Out of sight and out of mind. I want to see him holding a trophy and thats about all I need from him outside the check signing.

So I separate myself from all that. Truth is that I was born in LA and my bond with this team began there. I did not waver my passion for the Rams one bit when they moved to St Louis. Instead I chose to learn to love what St Louis had to offer. I went there several times. Met several of you on this very message board in St Louis. Great memories at Leclades landing etc etc etc.....

I dont even like LA. Thats why I dont live there anymore. The air sucks there. I sneeze alot. Great airport though. I use it to get me to other places lol

But I do love the Rams. Love the Dodgers too.

So having embraced St Louis as I did, I cant really relate to what some of you are saying. I expect most of you to get over it soon and I'll see you all back here when news changes from the move and starts focussing back on the field.

With all due respect, if you can't relate to what the citizens of St. Louis are going through, then who are you to say you expect us to be over it in 48 hours? Everyone copes with this stuff differently. I swear, if some of you are gonna post even a sliver of not so nice shit regarding this, then please consider not posting at all.

…..

Legend
With all due respect, if you can't relate to what the citizens of St. Louis are going through, then who are you to say you expect us to be over it in 48 hours? Everyone copes with this stuff differently. I swear, if some of you are gonna post even a sliver of not so nice crap regarding this, then please consider not posting at all.

Well actually I meant that I will have compassion for about that long. Then I will have disinterest.

I dont mean to minimize anyones feelings on the matter, and I cant expect everyone to accept and move on the way I was able to in the 90's. In that regard, I suppose I can insensitive.

I hope to see you all when the season starts. I hope that this isnt as divisive as its potential to be.

…..

Legend
Yeah he just made a business decision, the same way people are just making a business decision to not give the Rams or the NFL another cent of their money, just business men doing what they need to do.

May I ask about the intense passion for the location of your favorite football team? Its a bit odd to me that a person from England would be so upset over this. What if Stan moved the team to Manchester? Would you still be upset? Please be civil. Its with an honest interest that I ask.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
It has been less then a day and I'm already tired of LA fans telling St Louis fans I'm sorry I get it but get over it. Real easy to say when your getting the team just back off and let us deal with it as a city and quit telling us to get over it or like some said if it's more then 48hrs it's whining I'm looking at you dog