Titans snagging LaFleur

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I get the premise but every coach is limited by his own ability. Helping the man and being the man are two different things....as many Belichick disciples have found out. LaFluer may have been better served with another year or two with McVay to go along with his Atlanta experience. Bumping up the up and comers is admirable and if it helps them move on then kudos to McVay. I would like him to bring in another experienced QB guru to help Jared out. I worry that in the long run McVay is trying to do too much outside of the normal Head Coaching. And it is not like every move he made in games was spectacular. Maybe LaFluer should have been given more of a chance to call plays. McVay was great in the wins, masterful. But in the losses he seemed to be struggling and getting away from his usual game plan. He admitted himself that he got away from what they do.

I thought Zac Taylor and Jedd Fisch was directly to give Goff another 2 coaches w/ QB coaching experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedd_Fisch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zac_Taylor

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah i was afraid this might happen. McVay won’t stand in the way of his guys taking the next step.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Matt is a JAG as far as coaches go, for right now. He's a good dude and all, and McVay's friend, but he's nothing special IMO. And worst thing about that hire is the QB is an intermittent accuracy guy. LaFleur better brush up on his college offenses before he gets rolling in OTAs, and have a strong run game, that's all I can say.

Kromer, meanwhile, is a rock star. What he's done with the Rams OL, well, I am surprised nobody tried to hire him as OC. Or maybe they did and were told no. And as you say, along with most fans here on this board being aware, Kromer had a real nice resume before he came here. Rams are unpoachable at OC and DC, which is rare in this league.

The guy you want to poach from the Rams on offense is Aaron Kromer. On defense it's Joe Barry. IMO. Because you can't get McVay or Phillips.

On defense it's Aubrey Pleasant. I don't want to lose that guy.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I could have sworn at some point during last off season I read that Kromer was the run game coordinator.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Tractors.....Carr...yep..
That's a good one champ. Mariota.... Even funnier. You're a regular Richard Pryor tonight!!!! Keep the knee slappers comin!!!!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Hopefully the NFL won't become irrelevant after the Super Bowl. Otherwise who cares about the 2018 season. Damn shame we lost LaFleur.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Zac Taylor and Jedd Fisch was directly to give Goff another 2 coaches w/ QB coaching experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedd_Fisch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zac_Taylor

Yeah, but seems like a drop off in talent to me. Olsen is highly respected as a QB coach. LaFluer was building a good rep himself. I don't know what to think of Tannehill and Taylor. Did Taylor get more out of him than he should have or less? Tannehill isn't great. Fisch really seems to bounce around. I fear the quality at QB coaching took a hit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO they want that Falcons/Rams playbook. They know damn well that if they can't get Mariota rollin with a WCO type attack this year they're going to need to draft another QB. That is what the coaching change was all about I think, as well as the reason they went after an inexperienced option in LaFleur.

As to Goff, much ado about nothing. McVay is our OC. He has a top-notch run coordinator doing that job he did last year now in title as well as truth. And his passing game coordinator will be trained up by McVay. Only concern on offense is personnel, i.e. whether they can retain Watkins, and wtf they're going to do with 3x guys set to hit FA in a year.

Yeah that makes sense with Tennessee's thought process. But I still think it's a bit early with LaFleur. It's a bit of a gamble.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I could have sworn at some point during last off season I read that Kromer was the run game coordinator.

Yes wA helping out in the
Of course....and a path to becoming a HC.

Crennel, Mangini, and....who's the other one....oh yeah, Bill Belichick himself went to Cleveland...it's, ummm, tough to win in Ohio...Cleveland that is....
Thought Josh was ok in Denver....effed up his draft....but ok....Thought Mangini did ok...for Cleveland....

I think Bill O'B is doing fine....I think with Watson he'll have something special...if his defense stays strong...and injury free.

LOL......
Think about it....are any OC's leaving Brees after one season? Big Ben after one year? Not that this is a Goff issue, but it's odd that the OC and the QB coach just jump up and move....remember moving ones family is tough...I know a couple of Chargers coaches....wives are tellin my girl, we aren't moving again....

Is this a chance at a promotion? Is it striking while the kettle is hot? Is that a saying??? Why leave after one year? Why not stay, and do a McDaniel's? Pick your location...pick your QB....pick a higher position...well, the QB coach to OC makes sense....even the OC to OC playcaller kinda makes sense....I guess.

And....I'll take "peeps" as an intro to talk...discuss if you will...the implications of moving our OL coach to running game coordinator....some others to....what the hell does the other guys do? Lafluer & Olson leaving...

I still say...the last 5 games says a lot about our offense....check the PPG avg. on those 5....hell go back 6....look at the teams...we'd been scouted...and slowed down.

Tractors.....Carr...yep.......Marriota....not really....but he's trying to get there. Getting close too.

Curious as hell about this too Den????? WTF??? And, yeah I'm a conspiracy kinda guy...don't trust vaccines....all kinda stuff....why after one great showing would both leave?.....

me too....Olsen more than LaFleur....but really thought they'd stay one more year...

You had to think Onsen was on a short list. The guy has been a OC before Scott Linahan was The Rams HC.

—The last 5 games of The Rams offense were against real good teams.I do think McVay was not on point & the game planning prep was good.

— I think The Eans will show even more growth this season , especially with Goff at QB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yes wA helping out in the
I never said they would be great in their promotions or if the became HC. As we know by now the NFL is a copycat league. The Rams and Eagles had great early success promoting young coordinators, yes Pederson is still relatively young for an NFL coach though not when compared to McVay. Look at all the young first time coaches hired this off season, teams are trying to find their McVay and will do it next year too when the Rams sustain success. And when that keeps happening his coaches will keep getting looks. Just the way the NFL works.

I don’t think anyone from the offensive side will leave next season from the offensive side of the ball, except maybe
Kromer if Gurley goes totally off.

Coaching players is what some coaches get hired for. Matt LaFleur was a Shanahan Guy , but even more so was the QB coach that helped win Matt Ryan
MVP 2016.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
—The last 5 games of The Rams offense were against real good teams.I do think McVay was not on point & the game planning prep was good.

A guy was on the television....a player...saying that the teams are well scouted in the playoffs...or even the super bowl...they know whats coming...it boils down to execution...and man vs. man....at some point...someone has to make a play....you can't fool guys...surprise guys....players have to make plays...which is why leaning on playmakers at that point in the season is crucial to success/winning.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That's a good one champ. Mariota.... Even funnier. You're a regular Richard Pryor tonight!!!! Keep the knee slappers comin!!!!!
Carr is the real deal....I point to his 4th quarter comebacks in 2016....but the guy put the Raiders on his back....Tractor-style. Don't know what happened in 2017...didn't watch them close enough...

Marriota is a lil harder to describe...but when he wins..when the Titans do well, it's all because of him. He does things to me that says, guy that moves the team. When we played the Titans....he was keeping them in the game by himself....When they won their playoff game...it was because of him. I find it odd that our OC would leave, even though he's getting more responsibility, for Marcus....and Jared couldn't make him stay? Just saying....

And of course....I saw a bunch of Marriota in college...guy was a stud.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They also put up 38 pts against the best defense in the league without your boy under center. So was it your boy or the team that was the reason for their success this year? Me thinks it was mostly the team...
Hard to say....I will say, Case Keenum was a large reason for the score...His inability to move the ball doomed the Vikings....Case doesn't play the same outdoors...
But

Philly does have an outstanding team...

But

I bet Nick doesn't get a snap next year without another injury or blowout game.
The reason we lost 2 offensive minds is bc they were both offered better positions. Simple as that. McVay runs the show and he knows it so he wasn’t going to block either from from pursuing a better opportunity for them. Props to McVay for being a good guy and not standing in his guys path to success. I don’t even see how you could connect that to Goff but somehow you attempted to do it lol.
Better positions....ok....

I look at the totality of the coaching changes these last few years....and several good assistant coaches/coordinators didn't leave right away....they waited...for the right opportunity...better positions...maybe better pay. Ours left immediately....I didn't say it was totally a response to Goff....I offered up a theory of why our offensive coaches did choose to leave....one being a clear upgrade...QB coach to OC....the other being a OC to OC that calls plays...imo...didn't have to happen so soon....hell, we're just getting started here.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Also, anyone else concerned our boy Goff losing both Olson and LaFleur in one off-season just after his first succsseful season?!!! Ehhh would’ve loved to have retained one or both.
This is what's worrying me too, I hope whoever steps up continues his development... I would have loved to have seen us keep hold of our coaching team, at least for 1 more season...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good on McVay not to stand in the way of his coaches getting new jobs. Good luck to LaFleur with the Titans.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
anyone else concerned our boy Goff losing both Olson and LaFleur in one off-season just after his first succsseful season?

I was and am more worried about Olson leaving than LeFleur.

Olsen was the QB coach & was always with Goff.

Last year Goff essentially had 2 QB coaches in LaFleur and Olsen. McVay as we know was the OC while in addition to working with Jared LaFleur did the installing and coaching of the weekly game plan and it's execution.

Yeah, but seems like a drop off in talent to me.
Just me but... I think the loss of Olson was worse than LeFleur.

I think we can all agree that McVay calls the plays... so neither of these departures hurts from that perspective.

I think they may hurt (especially Olson) from a "coaching up" of Goff perspective.

Mainly... helping Goff read defenses and - most importantly - making sure his mechanics are proper.

I don't know if these losses will be significant... all I know is that, with them here, the Rams did very well on offense.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I guess the only thing that makes me feel better about our losses is that Jared seems like the type of guy who’ll retain what’s he's learned and not relapse like many young qbs do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah that makes sense with Tennessee's thought process. But I still think it's a bit early with LaFleur. It's a bit of a gamble.

It is. And from LaFleur's point of view it's a dumb decision, because he's stepping in to a situation where an organization believes in the QB they invested in, but he has limitations in his accuracy. Very dangerous type environment for LaFleur, where he might well find himself out of work quickly if he doesn't get Mariota rolling, but I wish him the best.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Yeah, but seems like a drop off in talent to me. Olsen is highly respected as a QB coach. LaFluer was building a good rep himself. I don't know what to think of Tannehill and Taylor. Did Taylor get more out of him than he should have or less? Tannehill isn't great. Fisch really seems to bounce around. I fear the quality at QB coaching took a hit.
Seriously a 1 year stint with a good coaching staff now its unknown if these other guys could fill those shoes year 2. I would of liked to retain Olson or LaFleur a bit longer, can't be willy-nilly with the help its bad for business in the long run and could possibly be a red flag about McVays characteristics. Seemed like Olson and LaFleur took off likes bats outta hell...I hope we can retain what we showed last season aslong as we got Wade.