Titans snagging LaFleur

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He did in the last preseason game. Don’t have a source at hand but I remember the discussion.

Thanks for being a solid poster !!

What are your thoughts on the coaching
Staff ?

The defensive side is so good in my view.
Bill Johnson has been excellent over the years.
Joe Barry is such a motivational guy. He gets into with Goff & the offense as well.
After a Rams win they teased each other. Just a cool thing to see that interaction.
—This guy Pleasant has his CB’s & Db’s Knowing exactly what’s going on . He gets into there head so it becomes second nature.

—- This new switch is good in the sense that Waldron gets to be coached up & learn with Kromer. It also helps Zak in his growth of taking more control & responsibilities. This guys are young & McVays does a great job of having the coaches mentoring each other.
McVay is no different. He uses Wade big time with advice.
Wade is so level headed that he tries to let emotions play into it. The Rams at times struggled & Wade at have seemed to improve if it was happening early.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
When we hired LaFleur, I expected this to happen. McVay said he was going to continue calling the plays on offense, so it was inevitable he would leave, albeit much sooner than I thought. IMO, LaFleur was an OC by title, and McVay was pulling the strings offensively, with some input from LaFleur. Even with him leaving, McVay will still be calling plays, with Cromer, Waldron and Fische's input during the game planning process. However, game day will be primarily McVay, and whoever is up in the box. Hopefully the loss of LaFleur will have little to no impact on Goff's year-two progression under McVay.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
He called plays for the Redskins. LaFleur has no experience in that area.

I don't think that is correct.
He may have called some, and had some input, but the way I read it - McVay's stint with the Redskins was similar to LaFLeur's with the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for being a solid poster !!

What are your thoughts on the coaching
Staff ?

The defensive side is so good in my view.
Bill Johnson has been excellent over the years.
Joe Barry is such a motivational guy. He gets into with Goff & the offense as well.
After a Rams win they teased each other. Just a cool thing to see that interaction.
—This guy Pleasant has his CB’s & Db’s Knowing exactly what’s going on . He gets into there head so it becomes second nature.

—- This new switch is good in the sense that Waldron gets to be coached up & learn with Kromer. It also helps Zak in his growth of taking more control & responsibilities. This guys are young & McVays does a great job of having the coaches mentoring each other.
McVay is no different. He uses Wade big time with advice.
Wade is so level headed that he tries to let emotions play into it. The Rams at times struggled & Wade at have seemed to improve if it was happening early.
Last year Goff essentially had 2 QB coaches in LaFleur and Olsen. McVay as we know was the OC while in addition to working with Jared LaFleur did the installing and coaching of the weekly game plan and it's execution. It looks to me that McVay is giving the 2 coaches he promoted LaFleur's job while leaving Fishe and Zach Taylor the lesser roles under them to learn from Kromer and McVay on how to be an NFL coach/coordinator. I really like that aspect of it. I'd imagine we're going to see a lot of this in years to come under McVay. Young hot coaches he likes come in as TE coach or assistants to the QB/OLine/OC guys so they can learn for a couple years on the job and move up. This is going to be the real test of McVay, if he keeps getting coaches promoted how well and how fast does he train up their successors.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn't think anyone significan't would leave to go with Gruden. Losing Olsen was not too big of a deal though. Losing Lafluer too though is a big deal. Goff is by no means a seasoned vet. He certainly could use more coaching by good QB coaches. Both Olsen and Lafluer were that for Jared. I don't see McVay bringing in the same quality QB coaches to keep improving Jared's play. I hope there is more to come.

I have trouble understanding the LaFluer hire. I know some of you here are thinking he will have no trouble running an offense. He may or he may not. The people arguing that he may not be ready are saying so because what has LaFluer proven? Calling plays in one pre season game? Are you kidding me? That is like calling plays in practice. If I was a Tennessee fan I would be concerned by his inexperience. Maybe his HC interview went well enough that the Titans think he will be good for Mariota. Could be, but seems like they are jumping the gun.

It goes to show what teams think of Wentz' play. Pederson supposedly has a great group of QB tutors on his staff, yet no talk of their departures or even interest. I guess watching Wentz run free only to injure knee is all they need to know.

Darrel Bevell is still out there. I thought maybe Tennessee might go that route. He is a better OC than Sheattle fans give him credit for. No OC can be successful with the Oline he was given to work with in the end. Early on the fans loved Bevell.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't think that is correct.
He may have called some, and had some input, but the way I read it - McVay's stint with the Redskins was similar to LaFLeur's with the Rams.
If that was the case, I doubt Gruden would allow him to take the playbook to LA. Because the Rams run identical concepts and route combinations to the Redskins of 2016. I know Sean is smart, but you don’t come up with an entire playbook on your own without having experience first.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Last year Goff essentially had 2 QB coaches in LaFleur and Olsen. McVay as we know was the OC while in addition to working with Jared LaFleur did the installing and coaching of the weekly game plan and it's execution. It looks to me that McVay is giving the 2 coaches he promoted LaFleur's job while leaving Fishe and Zach Taylor the lesser roles under them to learn from Kromer and McVay on how to be an NFL coach/coordinator. I really like that aspect of it. I'd imagine we're going to see a lot of this in years to come under McVay. Young hot coaches he likes come in as TE coach or assistants to the QB/OLine/OC guys so they can learn for a couple years on the job and move up. This is going to be the real test of McVay, if he keeps getting coaches promoted how well and how fast does he train up their successors.

I get the premise but every coach is limited by his own ability. Helping the man and being the man are two different things....as many Belichick disciples have found out. LaFluer may have been better served with another year or two with McVay to go along with his Atlanta experience. Bumping up the up and comers is admirable and if it helps them move on then kudos to McVay. I would like him to bring in another experienced QB guru to help Jared out. I worry that in the long run McVay is trying to do too much outside of the normal Head Coaching. And it is not like every move he made in games was spectacular. Maybe LaFluer should have been given more of a chance to call plays. McVay was great in the wins, masterful. But in the losses he seemed to be struggling and getting away from his usual game plan. He admitted himself that he got away from what they do.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Would this be a move so that he could call his own plays? Leaving from OC to be another OC without being fired??
Of course....and a path to becoming a HC.
It's interesting that Belichick's coordinators, for the most part, haven't done jack squat once they've left for other teams. Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels, and Bill O’Brien come to mind.
Crennel, Mangini, and....who's the other one....oh yeah, Bill Belichick himself went to Cleveland...it's, ummm, tough to win in Ohio...Cleveland that is....
Thought Josh was ok in Denver....effed up his draft....but ok....Thought Mangini did ok...for Cleveland....

I think Bill O'B is doing fine....I think with Watson he'll have something special...if his defense stays strong...and injury free.
<------waits for "peeps" to come in and say that these coaches are jumping ship to go coach tractors.....

LOL......
Think about it....are any OC's leaving Brees after one season? Big Ben after one year? Not that this is a Goff issue, but it's odd that the OC and the QB coach just jump up and move....remember moving ones family is tough...I know a couple of Chargers coaches....wives are tellin my girl, we aren't moving again....

Is this a chance at a promotion? Is it striking while the kettle is hot? Is that a saying??? Why leave after one year? Why not stay, and do a McDaniel's? Pick your location...pick your QB....pick a higher position...well, the QB coach to OC makes sense....even the OC to OC playcaller kinda makes sense....I guess.

And....I'll take "peeps" as an intro to talk...discuss if you will...the implications of moving our OL coach to running game coordinator....some others to....what the hell does the other guys do? Lafluer & Olson leaving...

I still say...the last 5 games says a lot about our offense....check the PPG avg. on those 5....hell go back 6....look at the teams...we'd been scouted...and slowed down.

Tractors.....Carr...yep.......Marriota....not really....but he's trying to get there. Getting close too.

Patriots win 100 Super Bowls and keep their coordinators forever, but one good year and the Rams lose theirs
Curious as hell about this too Den????? WTF??? And, yeah I'm a conspiracy kinda guy...don't trust vaccines....all kinda stuff....why after one great showing would both leave?.....

Also, anyone else concerned our boy Goff losing both Olson and LaFleur in one off-season just after his first succsseful season?!!!
me too....Olsen more than LaFleur....but really thought they'd stay one more year...

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

Crennel, Mangini, and....who's the other one....oh yeah, Bill Belichick himself went to Cleveland...it's, ummm, tough to win in Ohio...Cleveland that is....
Thought Josh was ok in Denver....effed up his draft....but ok....Thought Mangini did ok...for Cleveland....

I think Bill O'B is doing fine....I think with Watson he'll have something special...if his defense stays strong...and injury free.

LOL......
Think about it....are any OC's leaving Brees after one season? Big Ben after one year? Not that this is a Goff issue, but it's odd that the OC and the QB coach just jump up and move....remember moving ones family is tough...I know a couple of Chargers coaches....wives are tellin my girl, we aren't moving again....

Is this a chance at a promotion? Is it striking while the kettle is hot? Is that a saying??? Why leave after one year? Why not stay, and do a McDaniel's? Pick your location...pick your QB....pick a higher position...well, the QB coach to OC makes sense....even the OC to OC playcaller kinda makes sense....I guess.

And....I'll take "peeps" as an intro to talk...discuss if you will...the implications of moving our OL coach to running game coordinator....some others to....what the hell does the other guys do? Lafluer & Olson leaving...

I still say...the last 5 games says a lot about our offense....check the PPG avg. on those 5....hell go back 6....look at the teams...we'd been scouted...and slowed down.

Tractors.....Carr...yep.......Marriota....not really....but he's trying to get there. Getting close too.

Curious as hell about this too Den????? WTF??? And, yeah I'm a conspiracy kinda guy...don't trust vaccines....all kinda stuff....why after one great showing would both leave?.....

me too....Olsen more than LaFleur....but really thought they'd stay one more year...

Lol just stop. Eagles got to the Super Bowl without your boy at the helm. Is that an indictment on him? No just like those guys leaving aren’t an indictment on Goff or the offense. LeFluer is going to be calling plays now and probably wouldn’t of ever gotten that chance under McVay. Olson is joining up with his old buddy and McVay’s mentor to be OC. That’s a step up from QB coach and McVay wasn’t going to block his mentor on that hire. Stop trying to read into things more than you have to lol.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
If that was the case, I doubt Gruden would allow him to take the playbook to LA. Because the Rams run identical concepts and route combinations to the Redskins of 2016. I know Sean is smart, but you don’t come up with an entire playbook on your own without having experience first.

He had experience with plays, construction, coaching and watching game time play callers.

Players call Sean McVay a genius. But what exactly does the Redskins’ offensive coordinator do?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ensive-coordinator-do/?utm_term=.ace7da6e59b0

By Dan Steinberg June 9, 2015 Email the author
the Redskins prepare for next month’s training camp? Let’s jot down a quick list.

There’s Robert Griffin III, the fourth-year quarterback who must prove whether he’s a long-term building block. Jay Gruden, the second-year head coach whose debut season provided little in the way of optimism. Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan, the team’s two best players, both entering the final years of their contracts, both currently sidelined with injuries.

Still there? Let’s add Scot McCloughan, the new GM, who raised some eyebrows by taking tackle Brandon Scherff in the first round of his first draft. Heck, let’s add Scherff, too. Then there are the new coaches: defensive coordinator Joe Barry, offensive line coach Bill Callahan lured away from rival Dallas and even quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh.

All these men have been scrutinized by fans and analysts during the barren football-free months, used as pieces to construct the annually sunny offseason puzzle. And one name seems noticeably absent: that of offensive coordinator Sean McVay.

McVay remains something of a mystery in Washington. He’s the most prominent remaining holdover from the Shanahan era. He’s the NFL’s youngest offensive coordinator, and also Washington’s longest-serving coach. He served as the de facto quarterbacks coach last season, but Cavanaugh now fills that role. McVay sometimes calls plays during practice, as he did Tuesday afternoon, but Gruden retains that responsibility during games. McVay was in elementary school when Callahan got his first job as an NFL offensive line coach; now Callahan is expected to help oversee his running game.

So is there pressure on the second-year coordinator, the 29-year old whiz kid who replaced Kyle Shanahan?

“Certainly you feel pressure,” McVay said outside Redskins Park Tuesday afternoon. “I thought [last year] was a really humbling experience for me. Obviously we would have liked to have won more games, but I think when you’re able to honestly look back at yourself critically, you always know that you can do a lot of things better.”

This was in 2015 but I recall it kind of stayed the same through McVay’s tenure. Gruden just calls his own plays. Just like McVay does with the Rams.

Truth is, this was one of the reasons I was skeptical of the McVay hire to begin with. He just had almost no experience as an actual game time play caller.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It all depends, I don’t think The Rams are at the place the Seahags were when they lost parts of there coaching tree.

Kromer did a good job with Da’ Bears which surprised me that it took this long.

Matt was a different cat ? He was not that visual as I suppose he could have been.

Who is the TE’s coach ??
Who is the offensive line coach ??

Do they still both hold those responsibilities ?

Matt is a JAG as far as coaches go, for right now. He's a good dude and all, and McVay's friend, but he's nothing special IMO. And worst thing about that hire is the QB is an intermittent accuracy guy. LaFleur better brush up on his college offenses before he gets rolling in OTAs, and have a strong run game, that's all I can say.

Kromer, meanwhile, is a rock star. What he's done with the Rams OL, well, I am surprised nobody tried to hire him as OC. Or maybe they did and were told no. And as you say, along with most fans here on this board being aware, Kromer had a real nice resume before he came here. Rams are unpoachable at OC and DC, which is rare in this league.

The guy you want to poach from the Rams on offense is Aaron Kromer. On defense it's Joe Barry. IMO. Because you can't get McVay or Phillips.

Last edited:

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor

LOL......

You lost me at the vaccines comment.

Science is real.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I didn't think anyone significan't would leave to go with Gruden. Losing Olsen was not too big of a deal though. Losing Lafluer too though is a big deal. Goff is by no means a seasoned vet. He certainly could use more coaching by good QB coaches. Both Olsen and Lafluer were that for Jared. I don't see McVay bringing in the same quality QB coaches to keep improving Jared's play. I hope there is more to come.

I have trouble understanding the LaFluer hire. I know some of you here are thinking he will have no trouble running an offense. He may or he may not. The people arguing that he may not be ready are saying so because what has LaFluer proven? Calling plays in one pre season game? Are you kidding me? That is like calling plays in practice. If I was a Tennessee fan I would be concerned by his inexperience. Maybe his HC interview went well enough that the Titans think he will be good for Mariota. Could be, but seems like they are jumping the gun.

IMO they want that Falcons/Rams playbook. They know damn well that if they can't get Mariota rollin with a WCO type attack this year they're going to need to draft another QB. That is what the coaching change was all about I think, as well as the reason they went after an inexperienced option in LaFleur.

As to Goff, much ado about nothing. McVay is our OC. He has a top-notch run coordinator doing that job he did last year now in title as well as truth. And his passing game coordinator will be trained up by McVay. Only concern on offense is personnel, i.e. whether they can retain Watkins, and wtf they're going to do with 3x guys set to hit FA in a year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get the premise but every coach is limited by his own ability. Helping the man and being the man are two different things....as many Belichick disciples have found out. LaFluer may have been better served with another year or two with McVay to go along with his Atlanta experience. Bumping up the up and comers is admirable and if it helps them move on then kudos to McVay. I would like him to bring in another experienced QB guru to help Jared out. I worry that in the long run McVay is trying to do too much outside of the normal Head Coaching. And it is not like every move he made in games was spectacular. Maybe LaFluer should have been given more of a chance to call plays. McVay was great in the wins, masterful. But in the losses he seemed to be struggling and getting away from his usual game plan. He admitted himself that he got away from what they do.
I never said they would be great in their promotions or if the became HC. As we know by now the NFL is a copycat league. The Rams and Eagles had great early success promoting young coordinators, yes Pederson is still relatively young for an NFL coach though not when compared to McVay. Look at all the young first time coaches hired this off season, teams are trying to find their McVay and will do it next year too when the Rams sustain success. And when that keeps happening his coaches will keep getting looks. Just the way the NFL works.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lol just stop. Eagles got to the Super Bowl without your boy at the helm. Is that an indictment on him? No just like those guys leaving aren’t an indictment on Goff or the offense. LeFluer is going to be calling plays now and probably wouldn’t of ever gotten that chance under McVay. Olson is joining up with his old buddy and McVay’s mentor to be OC. That’s a step up from QB coach and McVay wasn’t going to block his mentor on that hire. Stop trying to read into things more than you have to lol.
hmmm....the Eagles had home field advantage throughout the entire postseason....I think that was because of, "my boy"...He's still 2nd in TD passes even with missing 4 games. The Eagles were/are underdogs in every postseason game...that was due to "my boy" missing them...that's an indictment on him.

I just wanted to play devils advocate...what does this really mean? I wasn't the only one to question why we would lose 2 offensive minds in one season of success.
You lost me at the vaccines comment.

Science is real.
oh yeah?!? I read somewhere about vaccines....and the increase in autism among certain populations that receive them....some disregard vaccines altogether due to the associated risks. If you've ever had a flu vaccine...then gotten sick you'd be skeptical....If you've ever received a vaccine and gotten others sick...you'd realize the dangers. Science uses some serious flaws in deciding who should get shots and who shouldn't....and over the history, their is a reason science is questioned...not the most ethical guys running science experiments....don't believe me? How about a gentleman with his own theory....
https://www.naturalnews.com/042012_vaccine_facts_vaccine-damaged_children_CDC.html

https://www.naturalnews.com/vaccines_get_the_full_story.html

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a reminder, Waldron was with McVay in Washington for two years. They’re buddies and probably on the same page for what the offense should be. I’m really curious to see what he does over the next couple of years.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
hmmm....the Eagles had home field advantage throughout the entire postseason....I think that was because of, "my boy"...He's still 2nd in TD passes even with missing 4 games. The Eagles were/are underdogs in every postseason game...that was due to "my boy" missing them...that's an indictment on him.

I just wanted to play devils advocate...what does this really mean? I wasn't the only one to question why we would lose 2 offensive minds in one season of success.

Your boy has a worse win % this year with the eagles than Foles does with them. If I wanted to play devils advocate with that I certainly could. They also put up 38 pts against the best defense in the league without your boy under center. So was it your boy or the team that was the reason for their success this year? Me thinks it was mostly the team...

The reason we lost 2 offensive minds is bc they were both offered better positions. Simple as that. McVay runs the show and he knows it so he wasn’t going to block either from from pursuing a better opportunity for them. Props to McVay for being a good guy and not standing in his guys path to success. I don’t even see how you could connect that to Goff but somehow you attempted to do it lol.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Matt is a JAG as far as coaches go, for right now. He's a good dude and all, and McVay's friend, but he's nothing special IMO. And worst thing about that hire is the QB is an intermittent accuracy guy. LaFleur better brush up on his college offenses before he gets rolling in OTAs, and have a strong run game, that's all I can say.

Kromer, meanwhile, is a rock star. What he's done with the Rams OL, well, I am surprised nobody tried to hire him as OC. Or maybe they did and were told no. And as you say, along with most fans here on this board being aware, Kromer had a real nice resume before he came here. Rams are unpoachable at OC and DC, which is rare in this league.

The guy you want to poach from the Rams on offense is Aaron Kromer. On defense it's Joe Barry. IMO. Because you can't get McVay or Phillips.

The Titian’s I believe is where he went ?

Waldron is the passing coach who McVay is closer to anyway. Matt seemed to have a little bit of an ego ?? Imo

This Pleasant Guy is an up and comer. If you get a chance to watch drills he is so aware of what is going on.

Joe Barry yes he more or less runs a lot of the together practice with Wade & McVay doing there play calling.

This is just my take on a sample size of what is going on as a fan.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It sucks to lose a good coach, but if McVay thought that the Rams needed LaFleur he would not have granted permission for Tenn to interveiw him. Dont forget it has always (1 season) been McVay in the headset sending the plays in to Goff.