Tim Barnes named starting Center/Wags

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You might want to revisit the Titans game and your observations.....Barnes did not even play in that game. I think that's one of the things @CoachO was referring to. Observations and comments with little basis in fact.:eek:
My bad. I was talking about the Colts game. Their colors are similar :ROFLMAO:

I know Rhainey played G but still, he's just looked like a more potential type of guy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're singing my song FRO. I agree with all of that.

We're saying that too. We just differ on how good he is. You seem to be saying he's a decent starting center and we think he's merely of backup caliber.
My whole reason for backing Rhaney was because I'd seen Barnes and what he offered and didn't think the ceiling as they say was that high. I wanted to see Rhaney to see if he offered more. I'm glad Barnes won and hope he leads the Rams to many great wins, just because some of us didn't pick Barnes among the 3 choices at the start of the year doesn't mean we dislike him. As you say Alan we all had our opinions and enjoy expressing them here on ROD. Just cause we backed a different Center didn't mean we were bashing him as you said :)

RamBill

Legend
Tim Barnes rises from undrafted rookie to Rams' starting center
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...from-undrafted-rookie-to-rams-starting-center

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Upon entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2011, St. Louis Rams center Tim Barnes had moments where he wondered if he'd ever be more than a guy constantly fighting for a roster spot.

Barnes spent most of the past four years in that constant state of flux. On Wednesday, after playing coy for a bit, Rams coach Jeff Fisher offered Barnes one hefty dose of validation for all his hard work.

"Tim Barnes is starting at center," Fisher announced after the team's practice. "I'm happy for Tim."

For the Rams, a decision on a starting center had been roughly six months in the making. For Barnes, becoming one has been four-plus years in the making.

After a solid career at Missouri, Barnes wasn't selected in the 2011 NFL draft. He signed with Baltimore in July that year but was released before the season. The Rams signed Barnes to their practice squad a little more than a week later and he stayed there for the rest of the season. The Rams thought enough of Barnes to keep him on a futures contract and he again started the season on the practice squad before finally earning a promotion to the roster early in the 2012 season.

Barnes stayed on the roster for 15 games but never got many opportunities. Finally, in 2013, he earned his first NFL start, making four in place of injured starter Scott Wells at the end of the season. While he established himself as part of the team's depth, he never did much more than help on special teams or serve as an extra lineman in goal line and short yardage situations in 2014.

During the offseason, the Rams declined to tender Barnes a restricted free agent offer. Just when it appeared he might move on after visiting Kansas City, the Rams re-signed him on March 31. Barnes jumped into a three-way competition with Demetrius Rhaney and Barrett Jones for the starting center job. As Jones proved, being in the competition put all three players in a sort of NFL no-man's land where the winner would be a starter but those who didn't win the spot might be out of a job.

Barnes not only survived the cut but won the job, a victory that proved a bit emotional for him Wednesday afternoon.

"It’s a huge step, obviously, in my career," Barnes said. "You guys know what I have been through coming in as an undrafted guy and having to work my way up. It’s huge for me and my family. I’m looking forward to it, I’m excited, I’m happy."

In what was a close battle at the position, Barnes ultimately won out for a few reasons.

First, while it's not a huge sample size, Barnes was the only one of the three contenders to come with any starting experience in the NFL. His four starts in 2013 included the season finale at Seattle, a game that should help Barnes handle just about anything thrown his way early in the season.

Fisher and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau have also praised Barnes' intelligence and comfort in the scheme. He was clearly the most diligent of the three starters when it came to calling out adjustments at the line of scrimmage during the preseason.

Finally, Barnes has made it a point to add strength and become more stout at the line. Fisher and guard Rodger Saffold said Barnes has pushed hard in the weight room to make that happen, particularly in his lower body.

"With him, what it really came down to is his knowledge and the way he’s been attacking everything on and off the field," Saffold said. "He does a good job of knowing what he’s doing, getting better at technique and in the weight room, doing very well in the weight room. He’s taken so many strides over the past four years."

Those strides have finally landed Barnes the starting job he's coveted since he came into the league. A league that, at the time, was dealing with a lockout and had Barnes wondering about his long term future in the NFL.

"It was a very different year because we didn’t have OTAs, we didn’t have minicamp, we had training camp and that was it," Barnes said. "As I got older, stayed around, obviously, (and when I) played I was like ‘Yeah, I can do this.'"

RamWoodie

Legend
I think folks forget 2013 when Wells was injured. It was Barnes who had to start 4 games and he did really well. He's been on the map for center all along the way.

Barnes earned the start. He's not Rich Saul but he earned starter just as Rich Saul did, he graduated from STs.

I got one more thing to say...this is his 4th year in the league, and he's going to get even better!

Alan

Legend
OldSchool wanting some up side:
My whole reason for backing Rhaney was because I'd seen Barnes and what he offered and didn't think the ceiling as they say was that high. I wanted to see Rhaney to see if he offered more. I'm glad Barnes won and hope he leads the Rams to many great wins, just because some of us didn't pick Barnes among the 3 choices at the start of the year doesn't mean we dislike him. As you say Alan we all had our opinions and enjoy expressing them here on ROD. Just cause we backed a different Center didn't mean we were bashing him as you said :)
It could easily have had a different ending. I think that's why they alternated them like that. I've never seen that before and they obviously did it because they were all so close in talent level.

When they decided to try Rhaney at G I was pretty sure that they did that to be able to compare his play at G to Jones to see who would be the back up at center. I think all Rhaney had to do was play at Jones level to win that job. So I see Rhaney being active most every game. I agree that he probably has the most up side so this is going to work out well for both Rhaney and the Rams.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
After having an unbelievable (5) different centers go down almost for the whole season last year we as THE RAMS deserve a full year and playoffs with NO INJURIES to our center and the league average for OL that missed games and average of different starting 5 is just too negative to post.

We drafted young guys who played super long stretches with no injuries all but Andrew Donnal and picking up Battle in the Sup. Draft and Williams as an UDFA. I just like the rest of you want a full season with NO INJURIES somewhere.

The steelers already have 14 players on IR with only 1 able to return to play if I understand the rules. Its bad enough to lose E.J. Gaines for the season . We truly NEED him as he was a real find and I believe he was gonna get even better. I thought we would have picked up an extra CB by now. I admit I have no clue.

I think Tim Barnes can be a mainstay once given the reigns and knowing he's really one of the very few players with experience with the team in years if not in games played. We need him to bring as much leadership as he can to our group. Love hearing about how Rich Saul waited to his 3rd year to start and then he had 6 Pro Bowls. That excites the Hell outta me.Saul finally retired the guy on my Avatar Ken Iman who played for the Packers in the very 1st and 2nd Super Bowl victories ever and then became a Ram the next 5 years as a starter. Just like we got Adam Timmerman from the Packers and won SB 34 that year. Maybe we should be picking up another packer as soon as we can.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't say as I expected Jones to be released. I do think they REALLY like Wichmann at G. Which ultimately ended up costing Jones his job.

Had they felt comfortable with getting Wichmann to the PS I think they could have made a case for keeping all 3 centers with Barnes and Rhaney having the dual position flexibility. But they are committed to the young guys. And simply ran out of numbers.

Williams was inserted as the #2 LT from the outset of training camp and never missed a beat. So him making it didn't surprise me.

And I give them credit for not caving and choosing to keep Battle over Williams.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I thought that Rhaney was a hot mess at center, getting blown off of the ball, and Jones looked soft. If Rhaney hadn't played better at guard I think that he would have been cut as well.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I can't say as I expected Jones to be released. I do think they REALLY like Wichmann at G. Which ultimately ended up costing Jones his job.

Had they felt comfortable with getting Wichmann to the PS I think they could have made a case for keeping all 3 centers with Barnes and Rhaney having the dual position flexibility. But they are committed to the young guys. And simply ran out of numbers.

Williams was inserted as the #2 LT from the outset of training camp and never missed a beat. So him making it didn't surprise me.

And I give them credit for not caving and choosing to keep Battle over Williams.
I really like this young group. and that even includes Battle on the PS. We are no doubt going to have some growing pains early, but I believe in 3 yrs we are going to see a solid, if not dominant unit.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just a word about Rhaney...

His NFL career seems hardly over. No need for postmortems. The coaches clearly like his potential and athleticism.

Probably has a future at OG.

After a year of NFL training table nutrition, weight room development, not to mention a year of practices and mental reps, we might just be amazed at how good he looks coming in next year.

It's a GOOD thing to have quality depth on our OL.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I wasn't aware there was a Barnes bashing epidemic here.
I only saw people offering their opinions relative to what *they* saw.

I now know who you first guest caller should be... The Dude, The CoachO - please.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Man, this is discouraging to say the least. Our 'prize' is slow on the take and doesn't seem to have the drive or faculties to pick it up.

Let me add to this discussion that while I 100% agree with @CoachO 's take on the Saffold / Brown move, Saffold is NOW calling Robinson a game tape addict, so hopefully, things have changed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Here is rotoworld's take on this matter. That guy commenting is still on the rags.

Tim Barnes - C - Rams

Tim Barnes has been named the Rams' starting center.

He beat out Barrett Jones -- who was cut -- and Demetrius Rhaney. A backup-caliber player at best, 27-year-old Barnes played only nine snaps all last season. He did make four starts in 2013, but was destroyed as a pass blocker and below average in the running game. The Rams will enter the season with one of the worst offensive lines in football. They host the Seahawks in Week 1

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not warm enough yet.

No worries, he'll warm you up. A voice, not on your level of course, who is, but soothing and supportive, he's laid back and a listener...

...OMG, dude, this might be your perfect counterpart!

I kid you not, and he may hate that I'm saying this, but his voice, knowledge, and demeanor are perfect for a podcast.

RamBill

Legend
The long road: Barnes named Rams' No. 1 center

• BY JIM THOMAS

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_37ee094b-331f-5246-91e0-d626e25bb977.html

For most of his NFL career Tim Barnes has been the guy sweating out the final cuts, never really sure about his status when the calendar flipped from August to September.
“Free agent all the way,” Barnes said. “That’s always the tough part. You go out here and you’re always fighting for the job. Obviously, that’s the whole idea with the NFL. I liked to do things the hard way, apparently.”
He went from undrafted rookie with Baltimore to the Rams’ practice squad in 2011. In 2012, he made the Rams’ active roster as a backup, playing almost exclusively on special teams.
That’s the way it went in ’13 and ’14, too, the only exception being four starts at the end of the ’13 season when starter Scott Wells was sidelined because of injury.
Even this past offseason, the Rams didn’t tender him as a restricted free agent in March. That left him looking for work for about three weeks. He paid a free-agent visit to Kansas City, then signed a modest one-year, $710,000 deal to return to St. Louis. (With incentives, the contract can max out to $1 million.)
But none of that mattered Wednesday, when Barnes literally became the center of attention. The three-way battle for center reached its conclusion when coach Jeff Fisher announced after practice that Barnes would open the season as the starter.
“It’s a huge step obviously in my career,” Barnes said. “You guys know where I’ve been, coming in as an undrafted guy, practice squad, and working my way up. So it’s huge for me and my family.”
When he spoke with reporters Wednesday, he had yet to tell his wife, Lindsay, children Madeline and Jackson, or dog Oscar that he’d won the job. That’s because he didn’t learn about it until he was on the practice field.
For just a moment, the big guy (6 feet 4, 306 pounds) got emotional talking about the day’s big news.
“Obviously, we’re looking forward to it,” Barnes said. “I’m excited. I’m happy. I’m just ready to work with these guys we’ve got.”
On the first day of training camp, Barnes was the first of the three centers to work with the starting unit in what became a camp-long rotation. He started the first exhibition game as well as the last one after Demetrius Rhaney and Barrett Jones got their cracks at starting.
Perhaps those were signs on where this was headed. When Jones was cut in a mild surprise over the weekend, it seemed all but a certainty that Barnes would have the edge over Rhaney, who’s basically a rookie. (Rhaney was hurt early last preseason and placed on injured reserve.)
Even so, Barnes took nothing for granted.
“I mean you never really know until you know,” Barnes said.
Now he knows.
He thus becomes the third offensive linemen from the University of Missouri to earn a starting job in the NFL this season, joining Mitch Morse of Kansas City and Justin Britt in Seattle, Sunday’s season-opening Rams opponent in a noon kickoff at home.
“Whenever he’s gotten a chance to play, he’s done a good job,” Fisher said. “Last year he battled through some minor injuries and things but thus far he’s stayed very healthy, feels good, had a good offseason. He’s very comfortable with Nick (Foles). The two of them are working really well together.”
Throughout his time in St. Louis, Barnes has worked to get stronger and quicker, and to improve his technique. Offensive line teammate Rodger Saffold has seen the improvement over the years.
“He’s taken so many strides over the past four years, he’s been awesome,” Saffold said.
Fisher made it a point to praise Rhaney, who has made impressive strides of his own since suffering a hyper-extended and fractured knee on the practice field a year ago.
“Demetrius had a great camp,” Fisher said. “He’s played really well at both (guard and center) positions, but we’re gonna go with Tim right now. I can’t say enough about how far Demetrius has come this offseason and through OTAs and camp. We know he can play as well.”
Flashing quickness and athleticism for an interior linemen, Rhaney did not earn a starting job but has risen to the point that he’s probably one of the team’s top O-line reserves, along with Garrett Reynolds.
Asked about finishing runner-up in the center competition, Rhaney said: “I don’t feel bad at all. (Barnes) earned it. He worked hard. ... I’ve come a long way mentally and physically. But you know, I’ve gotta keep making strides day by day, and just get better.”
Last year at this time, Rhaney’s daily routine was getting treatment in the training room, watching practice through the window. He’s a lot closer to the action this year.
“It feels good to be out there with my boys,” Rhaney said.
As for Barnes, he’ll be banging away against a Seattle unit that ranked first in the NFL in total defense and scoring defense a year ago. The last of Barnes’ four starts in that 2013 season came against the Seahawks in Seattle.
“Obviously, it was kind of crazy just because of where it was,” Barnes said. “That place is loud.”
Barnes and the rest of the St. Louis offense got roughed up that day against a Seattle team that went on to win the Super Bowl, managing only 13 yards rushing and 158 yards of offense in a 27-9 season-ending defeat.
Several players remain from the Seattle front seven that day, including defensive tackle Brandon Mebane.
In addition, the final game of the Rams’ 2014 season was in Seattle, so there’s a familiarity factor that should help.
“Obviously, you never know what’s gonna happen till we get in the game,” Barnes said.
But make no mistake, he’s in the game.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Unless you've been IN THE weightroom over the past 4 years none of us have seen the work put in by Tim Barnes. Saffold the SR. OL comments on Tims real hard work on his lower body as a person watching at practice or at game is'nt gonna be able to see those gains with the eye except we will notice that Barnes will be able to hold his ground much better as one real big addition.

Tim will be facing the notable Mebane (6'1" 311 lb's) from the seattle DL that has given many a rough day. I believe he has experience already in one seattle game going against said Mebane. I feel very good with Brown,Saffold,Reynolds and Wichmann on either side of Tim Barnes as he sets our OL and reads the "D" pre-snap . That communication is key and I'm so glad to hear about the time last year Tim had his neck,ribs and one other ailment last season he was still getting his legs ready for a future shot at leading this team. An old cast off Person is starting for the Falcons. The seattle starting center is only 25 Newak with 4 yrs in the NFL. The seahawks will also start 2nd year man from Mizzu Britt (OT) that might have a rough day with our many DE's. Wilson will be going down!!!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Who Fisher selected as the starting C is a matter of fact. Whether or not that was the correct choice remains a matter of opinion, and is frankly the far more interesting discussion. I can read a boring article to find out the fact part, I come here to read the differing opinions of intelligent Rams fans.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Who Fisher selected as the starting C is a matter of fact. Whether or not that was the correct choice remains a matter of opinion, and is frankly the far more interesting discussion. I can read a boring article to find out the fact part, I come here to read the differing opinions of intelligent Rams fans.

What and when is the time to make your opinion on IF the RAMS coaches made the correct decision picking Tim Barnes the starting Rams center?

How do YOU decide success? How would you know where blame lies in a 5 person group? The obvious stuff aside. (getting steamrolled or giving up sacks). Without filmroom proof how will you know if Tim made the best Line call pre-snap? Only coach Paul will be privy to that info. What is success? When will you know?:unsure:

Personally I don't mind reading long articles if they contain facts over what a fan in the seats opinions are. Judgeing who is intelligent and who is'nt is a personal thing considering other factors. :D