Tim Barnes named starting Center/Wags

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sometimes think many people in here are so blinded by their own "fandom" that they don't pay attention to what's really going on. The signs have been there all along. Just a lot of people only notice what they want to see.
Why do this?

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Sometimes think many people in here are so blinded by their own "fandom" that they don't pay attention to what's really going on. The signs have been there all along. Just a lot of people only notice what they want to see.

Keith Null could have been a great QB if they just stuck with him. I don't know anything about being blinded by "fandom"

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The wait had nothing to do with them deciding. It's typical Fisher MO trying to gain a competitive edge by forcing Seattle to gameplan for both options.

They informed the players LAST WEEK. So it wasn't in doubt. If you pay close attention, and read between the lines when either Jim Thomas or Wagoner "reported" on this since last week, they both said it without saying it.

I've known since Friday that Barnes was told the job was "officially" his. And "unofficially" right after the Colts game.

CoachO..I agree that Barnes has been thechoice for weeks..But using your own line of reasoning, don't the Hawks have personnel that read between the lines as well(long ago)? If so, why gameplan/worry about who Fish utimately announces as the starting Center? Who is Fish fooling except for fans that don't matter in regard to executing the gameplan?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do this?
Because I continue to see an awful lot of people who want to continue to bash Barnes, almost as if he is th consolation prize. Many people have continued to act as the if "their guy" somehow got shorted in the process.

I was merely trying to state that sometimes WE tend to be blinded by our rooting interest in a particular player (I am including myself in that at times) that we fail to see what is actually happening.

Wasn't meant to be so biting.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Because I continue to see an awful lot of people who want to continue to bash Barnes, almost as if he is th consolation prize. Many people have continued to act as the if "their guy" somehow got shorted in the process.
I wasn't aware there was a Barnes bashing epidemic here.
I only saw people offering their opinions relative to what *they* saw.

SierraRam

Recreational User
But someone (veteran) needed to hand hold their prize LT making sure he knew what he was supposed to do from one play to the next.

Man, this is discouraging to say the least. Our 'prize' is slow on the take and doesn't seem to have the drive or faculties to pick it up. Hopefully, he pulls it together - he has scary potential.

This is why a player that's all effort and heart (like Rhaney) can blind a fan like me. And as you pointed out, he may become a starter in a year or so if he gets stronger. (like Barnes)

Go Timmy! Rich Saul started in year 3, too. He did pretty well

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First off congrats to Tim Barnes and I genuinely hope he plays well enough to be our center for a long time.

Didn't think he'd win the job, was wrong.

Didn't think it would be good for the team if he won the job, and that if he did win it would be more about the other two not stepping up, hope I am wrong but we will see.

Hopefully this line will come together in this first game. There are far more reasons to think they'll struggle against Seattle than to think they'll come together and play well, but I will say this: this is the most talent overall that they have had on this line in a long time.

Also will say that it's common for a good OL to have a "just good enough" type guy or two. Rams' GSOT line had a couple and still played well enough to allow for that offense to set the league on fire. This OL is much different being much longer on physical power overall but I do think they are good enough to allow for Foles and Gurley to be very big players in this league.

So I am very hopeful still that this offense is going to shock the Seahawks by being much better than the unit they're used to playing. I think there's a chance and that is very exciting.

FRO

Legend

I was merely trying to state that sometimes WE tend to be blinded by our rooting interest in a particular player (I am including myself in that at times) that we fail to see what is actually happening.

Wasn't meant to be so biting.
I don't know if I was "bashing" Barnes, I just was terribly underwhelmed with all 3 guys. I agree he should have been the starter of the three. I like Rhaney's physical talent, but he played poor at C most likely due to not being able to be the leader of the line. Jones is limited physically and had some penalties. Barnes had the least bad, but he isn't anything to write home about. To me he is a good backup C, but not quite good enough physically to be a quality starter. He does seem to do a good job with the checks and mental aspects of the line. With such an inexperienced line that is the most important thing we need our C to bring to the table. Now if that analysis is bashing, then I apologize.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Congratulations go out to Mr.Barnes. He looked solid in preseason and I'm sure he'll only get better as the season goes on.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Man, this is discouraging to say the least. Our 'prize' is slow on the take and doesn't seem to have the drive or faculties to pick it up. Hopefully, he pulls it together - he has scary potential.

This is why a player that's all effort and heart (like Rhaney) can blind a fan like me. And as you pointed out, he may become a starter in a year or so if he gets stronger. (like Barnes)

Go Timmy! Rich Saul started in year 3, too. He did pretty well
I guess GR was so raw coming out of college if he was steak he'd still be mooing.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
And I challenge you to go back and watch the games again. Only this time, instead of focussing on the individual players at the center position, compare the overall performance of the UNIT when each is playing with the "ones". It really is noticeable.

And also, if you were to objectively watch the individuals, notice how often Rhaney is just flat physically overmatched. There are more times than not he ends up getting stood up and forced backwards. When he isn't doing that he most likely is cut blocking someone. Ever think that might be because he isn't physically strong enough to take on the guy straight up?

Barnes isn't perfect. I have never claimed that he is. But this has been his job to
LOSE all along. And that didn't happen.
The Oline has a much higher ceiling with Rhainey. He reminds me a lot of Dominic Raiola. Super athletic, smart and great in the run game. Barnes is ok. He's a little more consistent right now but he will never be more then average.

We want to be a ground and pound team but Barnes isn't very strong in the run game. He looked terrible against the Titans and Rhainey held his ground much better, IMO. I will say though I really like Barnes in the screen game but I thought Jones was even better.

I do understand why they picked Barnes but I still think it leaves us with a hole at Center for next year. Even though Rhainey would go through some growing pains, I think he would be a better option long term.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a lot of validity to it. And it's not something that they "just decided" to do.

Most of the issue had little to do with Brown and more to do with Robinson. More specifically keeping Saffold at LG thru the walk throughs as long as possible for Robinson's benefit.

I think they have realized for a while that Saffold was better on the right side. But someone (veteran) needed to hand hold their prize LT making sure he knew what he was supposed to do from one play to the next.

There can be only one response to this.

GULP!!!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Im hoping Barnes gets the job done and stays there for years.But right now it is a concern he was basically the the best of the worst.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Gratz to Barnes. Don't think hes that great, but he was the best of the bunch. Hopefull he can be steady.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
The Oline has a much higher ceiling with Rhainey. He reminds me a lot of Dominic Raiola. Super athletic, smart and great in the run game. Barnes is ok. He's a little more consistent right now but he will never be more then average.

We want to be a ground and pound team but Barnes isn't very strong in the run game. He looked terrible against the Titans and Rhainey held his ground much better, IMO. I will say though I really like Barnes in the screen game but I thought Jones was even better.

I do understand why they picked Barnes but I still think it leaves us with a hole at Center for next year. Even though Rhainey would go through some growing pains, I think he would be a better option long term.

You might want to revisit the Titans game and your observations.....Barnes did not even play in that game. I think that's one of the things @CoachO was referring to. Observations and comments with little basis in fact.:eek:

jjab360

Legend
Im hoping Barnes gets the job done and stays there for years.But right now it is a concern he was basically the the best of the worst.
The general impression I seem to be getting is that Barnes was bad, but he wasn't as bad as the other two.

I don't get it. I liked what I saw from him in preseason, he moved the LOS in the run game and walled DTs off in pass protection. Looked a lot improved from what we saw in 2013, which makes sense because it was 2 whole years ago.

I'm not saying he looked like an all-pro, but the interior sure looked a lot more stout with him in the game than Rhaney or Jones, imo.

jjab360

Legend
You might want to revisit the Titans game and your observations.....Barnes did not even play in that game. I think that's one of the things @CoachO was referring to. Observations and comments with little basis in fact.:eek:
I'm starting to think people got the 61 confused with the 67 more often than not...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah if you paid attention to who was given playing time when in the preseason Fisher clearly was giving Jones and Rhaney a chance to beat Barnes out and neither was able to do it. I picked Rhaney at the start of camp because I thought he would be a better option for the future but it looks like he's going to have to work hard this year and try to unseat Barnes next camp.

Alan

Legend
FRO with words of wisdom:
I don't know if I was "bashing" Barnes, I just was terribly underwhelmed with all 3 guys. I agree he should have been the starter of the three. I like Rhaney's physical talent, but he played poor at C most likely due to not being able to be the leader of the line. Jones is limited physically and had some penalties. Barnes had the least bad, but he isn't anything to write home about. To me he is a good backup C, but not quite good enough physically to be a quality starter. He does seem to do a good job with the checks and mental aspects of the line. With such an inexperienced line that is the most important thing we need our C to bring to the table. Now if that analysis is bashing, then I apologize.
You're singing my song FRO. I agree with all of that.

jjab360 with this:
The general impression I seem to be getting is that Barnes was bad, but he wasn't as bad as the other two.

I'm not saying he looked like an all-pro, but the interior sure looked a lot more stout with him in the game than Rhaney or Jones, imo.
We're saying that too. We just differ on how good he is. You seem to be saying he's a decent starting center and we think he's merely of backup caliber.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This is great news

BTW
There are a lot of Barnes fans here - me included, predicted him to be our starter but guess I got it wrong with Garrett Reynolds who I thought would get the starting RG spot

Here are some others - just for a quick sampling back in March 2014 who were all over this too just like Bonifay and Coach O

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is just a small sample of the many Ram fans here who saw this move coming ages ago

This is back from 2014

Last edited: