Tim Barnes named starting Center/Wags

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Congrats, Timmy!

You held off all comers.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Stay healthy Tim and KEEP helping the yong guys and LEAD big man. So happy for you and I never had a doubt since a bird told me it was your job to lose almost 4 months ago with a lil' more. Thanks Coach for bringing Brass Tacks speach that carries a lot of weight if they only knew what you actually see. Thanks for your time, and when we finally gel this bunch next season, I think the sky is the limit. Hope Foles and the whole crew stay healthy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kinda surprised...I thought the wait meant Rhaney had passed him...Kinda nervous, cause it took so long and Rhaney didn't look that good so, what took so long?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Kinda surprised...I thought the wait meant Rhaney had passed him...Kinda nervous, cause it took so long and Rhaney didn't look that good so, what took so long?

Give the young guys a shot to out play Tim. It didn't happen.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm stunned, stunned I say...I'm stunned that it took this long to announce what to me was the obvious...Not saying he's the best candidate, just that it was very obvious to me that he was going to be named the starter...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The wait had nothing to do with them deciding. It's typical Fisher MO trying to gain a competitive edge by forcing Seattle to gameplan for both options.

They informed the players LAST WEEK. So it wasn't in doubt. If you pay close attention, and read between the lines when either Jim Thomas or Wagoner "reported" on this since last week, they both said it without saying it.

I've known since Friday that Barnes was told the job was "officially" his. And "unofficially" right after the Colts game.

Sometimes think many people in here are so blinded by their own "fandom" that they don't pay attention to what's really going on. The signs have been there all along. Just a lot of people only notice what they want to see.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Not at all surprised. In my opinion he isn't starting material, but he will do a better job at running the line than Rhaney. I think we will be in the C market again next offseason. Hopefully Barnes proves me wrong.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Blech. I wanted Rainey and still think he's a better player.
And I challenge you to go back and watch the games again. Only this time, instead of focussing on the individual players at the center position, compare the overall performance of the UNIT when each is playing with the "ones". It really is noticeable.

And also, if you were to objectively watch the individuals, notice how often Rhaney is just flat physically overmatched. There are more times than not he ends up getting stood up and forced backwards. When he isn't doing that he most likely is cut blocking someone. Ever think that might be because he isn't physically strong enough to take on the guy straight up?

Barnes isn't perfect. I have never claimed that he is. But this has been his job to
LOSE all along. And that didn't happen.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Avoiding injury and a full season ahead for Tim is gonna be very hard for any rookie center to just walk in and beat. I watched all the top centers this week and I was so unimpressed . The only top rated JR. from Wisconsin had a rough game VS Bama. He's the second rated center and actually 1-2 round pick at this time. USC kid #1 rated SR. and 1st round pick for now.

ND's SR had a great game vs underated competition. USC , Mizzu and one other are the top kids I doubt any could beat out Tim Barnes and what he has become. Give it time. 3 games at least. Worry about G. Rob. if you want to worry about the O-Line. Check the post I just put up with PFF rating our OL vs seattle's during PS.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think with what we had as options Barnes is the least of all evils. I do hope we look for a better long term solution but as long as he isn't a huge liability it's the right move.

Rhaney may be at some point but I don't think he's quite ready.

I'm not an expert, I'll leave the evaluation to guys like CoachO. But seems like the right move to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Looking forward to number 61 being the man in the middle for the Rams for many years to come....It's been a while since the Rams has some stability in the middle and I for one am looking forward to Barnes ensuring everyone is on the same page week in and week out.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Hey CoachO,

Apropos of whatever: there was a Wagoner piece a day or two ago talking about Brown being switched to LG due to him being left-hand dominate (at least that's what Broudreau supposedly said), think there's any validity to that?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Hey CoachO,

Apropos of whatever: there was a Wagoner piece a day or two ago talking about Brown being switched to LG due to him being left-hand dominate (at least that's what Broudreau supposedly said), think there's any validity to that?
There's a lot of validity to it. And it's not something that they "just decided" to do.

Most of the issue had little to do with Brown and more to do with Robinson. More specifically keeping Saffold at LG thru the walk throughs as long as possible for Robinson's benefit.

I think they have realized for a while that Saffold was better on the right side. But someone (veteran) needed to hand hold their prize LT making sure he knew what he was supposed to do from one play to the next.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Is the Chargers 2nd string C still available? Their centers were falling like flies last season (up to the 4th stringer) and the ones they put in did a decent job protecting Rivers.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good stuff in here. Thanks @CoachO and everyone for the interesting points of view and opinions on this. Here is hoping this young OL can mature quickly under fire, as every D we face will surely test these newbs. I can see a rocky start for sure, but I also like that we FINALLY drafted what is (I hope) our future OL.