This Sunday Will be the last Rams game I watch this season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wow. Good stuff Blue. This is what my son found out. It worked out great for us as he put in for South Korea but they decided they needed him in Tucson. He had the option to trade out but after doing a couple minutes of investigation, decided he'd stick with Tucson. It was funny because his training officer told him that if he puts in for Korea, he'd be going to Korea as few put that high on their list. So yeah... it makes you wonder if they even look at those lists.

Korea is up there as one of the worst posts in the Army.. I don't know about the Air Force, but the Army is straight awful, so he probably dodged a bullet there. I dunno about Air Force bases in general though. I do know that their housing standards are much higher than the Army (so much so that Air Force members get paid extra when they have to stay in Army facilities) so it's great that they are taken care of.... Navy/Marines seem to get the best bases, because they're always on the coast and typically in beautiful locations.The Army base in Guam is supposedly amazing, but I've never been.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I dunno man. My dad's "job" with the Navy was on the crew that took officers around the islands on little junkets in the schooner shown below. The Dwyn Wen. I think I'd take that target over a tube full of seamen any day.
View attachment 17224

Right up to the time we put a torpedo in the broadside ... :)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, good on ya @NJRamsFan
Way to represent Jersey!!
Thank you for your service and look forward to hearing from you.
Go Rams

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Im Joining the Army to become a Cavalry Scout. Ill be training at Ft. Benning in Georgia

Your posts will be missed NJRamsFan. I salute and honor your career choice. May God bless your training at Ft Benning.

Hopefully our Rams will make you proud soldier.

us-army-mos-19d-cavalry-scout-decal-8.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good luck NJ. Don't take anything from the DI's personal. Its their job to see how much adversity each "cruit" can handle. I also trained .at Ft. Benning. 12 years as 12C, Combat Engr..Airborne. '80-'92. 13 months in Kuwait and Iraq, Desert Storm and Desert Freedom.

Combat Engineer Creedo--"First Ones In, Last Ones Out. We Clear The Way." 52nd Cbt. Engr. Bn.-4th Inf. Div. Ft.. Carson, Colo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW Dwyn is an old welsh word for 'wave' I think - which would also work with the Dwyn Wen - The White Wave
Man. Thanks for all that. I texted it to her. Not sure if she knew. She'll probably text back some smart ass comment like "duh". She IS my older sister after all. But for me that is some cool stuff to know. Thanks again.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Light vs Heavy units are all about the types of vehicles they use. So a heavy unit will have armored vehicles, such as a Bradley:
635691108304745063-dfn-us-bradleyjpg

Vs a light unit would utilize light/wheeled vehicles such as the Humvee.. Light units also tend to do more dismounted operations, given that the heavy vehicle is such a force multiplier, you want to keep those vehicles up.

Most Cavalry units have been moving over to Strykers, which are wheeled vehicles, but heavier and more armored than Humvees, but lighter and less armored than a Bradley.
Stryker_25th_ID_Iraq_DF-SD-05-12693.JPEG

In terms of the break-downs, I believe most of the Calvary Regiments have moved to be predominately Stryker.

Mechanized (Heavy) Units that I know of include 1st Cav (avoid this unit if possible), 1st Infantry Division, 3rd Infantry Division (although they do have Light Infantry as well)... 4th Infantry Division has elements of Stryker, Light, and Heavy... 2nd ID is all Stryker...

3rd Cav and 2nd Cav are both Strykers.

Light Infantry will be units like 10th Mountain (excellent history with that unit), 101st (Air Assault, if you can get this unit, I'd do it, but not sure if you need Air Assault in your contract, my guess is no).. 82nd (Airborne) 173rd (Airborne).. Obviously units like the 75th Ranger Regiment would be specialized light infantry.

In terms of the difference, it's going to obviously be the types of vehicles they use (heavier more complicated vehicles means more work for you.. I'd see heavy units sit in the motorpool fixing vehicles every Monday, while we would check out our Humvees and leave, very easy to maintain. Additionally, light units will do more dismounted operations, so there's more physical challenges to those units, having to hump everything on your back in and out.. Personally, I think that's more fun though. I was someone who didn't like to be in a vehicle all the time, I wanted to be on foot.

Both will do some dismounted operations obviously, both will use Humvees (even heavy units, they often rotate depending on the mission).. Units like 10th Mountain, 101st etc, (lineage units) tend to get more deployments, and light units are easier to mobilize and deploy because there are less logistics to get in the way.

I'm not super familiar with Cav things, given that Rangers tend to be more excluded, but we did do missions with other units at times (we'd have them in blocking formations while we assaulted) and would talk to them every so often, so you can get a feel for it. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to say that 1st Cav is the worst, so I'd avoid them. They don't do missions, they don't hold territory, they just kind of suck..

If you have specific questions on anything, feel free to hit me up, I've done a lot of schools, including RASP, Ranger School, Airborne, Air Assault, Sniper, and Military Free Fall, I'm happy to help as much as I can.
I'm definitely interested in being light cavalry and doing dismounted missions. I'm gonna definitely try to get some of the stations you suggested. Hopefully the army has similar plans for me. Thanks again Bc...you have helped more than you know

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
NJ, you want action? DMZ in Korea. Camp Stanley, Camp Pelham, Freedom bridge. N Korea always pulling shyt, always on high alert there. 2nd ID," Indian Head Div".

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm definitely interested in being light cavalry and doing dismounted missions. I'm gonna definitely try to get some of the stations you suggested. Hopefully the army has similar plans for me. Thanks again Bc...you have helped more than you know

101st (Fort Campbell, Kentucky) and 10th Mountain (Fort Drum, New York) will be your best bets then, if you don't get an Airborne slot.

I'd try for 101st, since they're an Air Assault unit, you'll get to Air Assault school, and do some fast roping, which is a blast. Airborne guys will call you a leg because you wont have wings, but you can then levy for Airborne school, and get both anyway. Honestly, Airborne guys will always talk a lot of crap about anyone who isn't Airborne, but it's pretty stupid.. I loved jumping, but Air Assault is more common in modern warfare.

No matter where they put you, just enjoy it, what you get out of your service will depend on what you put into it. Keep in mind that all bad things come to an end, so when shit starts to suck, know it's not forever. Above all else, enjoy yourself and give it everything you have.