This Sunday Will be the last Rams game I watch this season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Thank you for your service, and congrats.

Just remember to ask your sergeant, "Why?" after everything he tells you to do.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Branch and MOS? Where are you going for training? I'm assuming either Army or Air Force given you said Basic Training instead of Boot Camp.

Goodluck with everything, basic training is pretty easy, just do what they say and you'll be fine. They've been adjusting how they conduct training, with a softer approach, so don't get too worked up about it. Just keep in mind it's all about getting you to figure out the basics as the real learning comes once you join your unit and are actually doing your job. Enjoy your time.

If you have any questions about it, hit me up, 8 years in the 3rd Ranger Battalion.

I just read a short history about your Battalion and that's an impressive resume for sure.

I can't remember if you've ever talked about any deployments.......... my memory isn't what it used to be.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good crap, congratulations. I did my training at Fort Benning as well, it's a pain in the ass, but nothing you can't handle. When I was in Scouts and Tankers trained at Fort Knox, so now that they're at Benning, I'm sure you'll get to enjoy Sand Hill. Active duty or National Guard?

If I have some advice, since your training will take you through Christmas, you will be given the option to come home for some time for the holidays. If you elect to come home ensure that you stay out of trouble and work out extra hard during that time instead of just eating junk food and freaking off (and trust me, you'll want to)... When you return, expect your Drill Sergeants to smoke the crap out of you guys to sweat out all the junk food that everyone was eating, so if you eat right and keep with your PT, it'll hurt less. If given the option to take the short order line during chow, never take it (chicken, fruits, and waters, be smart about your meals) and load up on carbs before your PT test.

Above all else, enjoy yourself, it'll suck when you're going through, but once you're out you'll be happy for it. If you get the option to go to jump school take it, it's pee pee easy and opens you up for additional schools.

Oh and during reception you'll have a bunch of douche bags trying to look down on you because you're day 0 and they're day 5.. Don't get involved in that dumb crap, none of you know what you're doing. If you see a Staff Sergeant Alston (he's a reception NCO) tell him that Colin said hi... He's a good dude, just hates stupid privates. He's a Panthers fan, so if you might be able to butter him up that way. ;)
Thanks for the advice man i truly appreciate it.

From what i understand leaving during xmas is mandatory and they make us use vacation days...atleast thats what my recruiters say so who knows.

Im not so much up on all the terminology yet so when you say jump school are you talking about airborne ? if so thats my number 1 goal to get into after ait.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
That title was probably a bit mis leading...because im actually really bummed about not being able to see another game this year.

Anyway, i leave for basic training on monday and will be gone for 22 weeks. Im beyond excited for this new chapter in my life. Just wanted to say its been a real pleasure being part of this board and getting to know all of you. The countless hours ive spent talking rams football with yall has been a highlight of my days since 2012.

Heres to hoping I miss the first magical playoff run in decades. Cheers yall...see ya in a few months :cheers:

And GO RAMS!!
NJ, you take care. Thank you for all your insight, and thank you for your service to our country. God Bless, and look forward to your return in a few months.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Thanks for the advice man i truly appreciate it.

From what i understand leaving during xmas is mandatory and they make us use vacation days...atleast thats what my recruiters say so who knows.

Im not so much up on all the terminology yet so when you say jump school are you talking about airborne ? if so thats my number 1 goal to get into after ait.

Yes, jump school is Airborne. You are able to get it guaranteed in your contract when signing up, but with Scouts I'm not 100% sure.. Certainly is with Infantry. They also allowed some volunteers after training that didn't have it guaranteed, so hopefully they will allow it with you. You'll learn all the different terms, just make sure that you know the basics (Soldiers Creed, Warrior Ethos, ranks/time, etc) before you go so you don't look like a jackass.

I believe Scout are the same as Infantry in that it's OSUT, instead of basic training and then AIT.. So you'll have the same Drill Sergeants throughout the entire time training, and get less privileges (at least we did, no phones, no nights/weekends off of any of that stuff like non-combat MOS's would get), but the training is more fun so it's worth it.

It used to be voluntary, but the Army has adjusted training, so I guess it's mandatory now. They'll wont give you free leave days, so you'll have those eaten up. You'll be alright though, regular Army typically gives 2 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks over Christmas, so if you're in the hole you may have to shorten that up. I used to have my leave start on Monday instead of Saturday, and come back on a Friday instead of Sunday to save on days.

I just read a short history about your Battalion and that's an impressive resume for sure.

I can't remember if you've ever talked about any deployments.......... my memory isn't what it used to be.

There's a lot of amazing history for the entire Regiment, a lot of pride in being privileged to wear the Tan Beret.. I have deployments to both Afghanistan and Iraq, but I haven't really gone into much detail here.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, jump school is Airborne. You are able to get it guaranteed in your contract when signing up, but with Scouts I'm not 100% sure.. Certainly is with Infantry. They also allowed some volunteers after training that didn't have it guaranteed, so hopefully they will allow it with you. You'll learn all the different terms, just make sure that you know the basics (Soldiers Creed, Warrior Ethos, ranks/time, etc) before you go so you don't look like a jackass.

I believe Scout are the same as Infantry in that it's OSUT, instead of basic training and then AIT.. So you'll have the same Drill Sergeants throughout the entire time training, and get less privileges (at least we did, no phones, no nights/weekends off of any of that stuff like non-combat MOS's would get), but the training is more fun so it's worth it.

It used to be voluntary, but the Army has adjusted training, so I guess it's mandatory now. They'll wont give you free leave days, so you'll have those eaten up. You'll be alright though, regular Army typically gives 2 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks over Christmas, so if you're in the hole you may have to shorten that up. I used to have my leave start on Monday instead of Saturday, and come back on a Friday instead of Sunday to save on days.

There's a lot of amazing history for the entire Regiment, a lot of pride in being privileged to wear the Tan Beret.. I have deployments to both Afghanistan and Iraq, but I haven't really gone into much detail here.
Yes you are correct ts osut. at the time i signed my contract there was only 1 19d position left so i jumped on it as quickly as i could and didnt want to push it asking for airborne and risk loosing it...although i think under the current administration and the further out we get from the war they are less inclined to easily give out anything. thats just my thoughts tho so who knows. they told me they will come around during the end of training and ask who wants airborne and out of the volunteers they will go off pt scores. hopefully thats true.

I forgot to answer earlier but im going active duty...any suggestions on which in country bases i should put on my wishlist to be stationed? i get 6 choices and am hoping for either italy germany or japan but i also have to put 3 in country

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Im Joining the Army to become a Cavalry Scout. Ill be training at Ft. Benning in Georgia

If for any crazy reason you find yourself in Ft Leonard Wood, (fort lost in the woods) be sure to enjoy the PEX and LRC courses... they were a blast and I was told by my drill instructor that they were his personal favorites. As for shakedown and early basic BS, it's not for everyone but I had no problems and I'm kind of a rebellious punk at heart. Just stay cool, keep your chin up and your nose down.
Thanks for serving, be safe and check in with us when you get a chance.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Thanks for your service. Former Navy, but it's all under the same flag!

Boot/Basic basically is what you make it. I was amazed by the guys who signed up and whined the whole time. That ain't you. You'll do awesome, I'm sure.

Oh, and everything @bluecoconuts said.

Especially about keeping up the PT over the break. SAGE advice right there...

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you do get to Fort Leonard Wood look me up. I will make sure you get at least one home cooked meal. Just pm me if you are ever sent there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Very good. I'm not the type to drill someone with questions about anything, I figure if someone wants me to know they'll tell me.

@NJRamsFan Italy wouldn't be awful you know.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you do get to Fort Leonard Wood look me up. I will make sure you get at least one home cooked meal. Just pm me if you are ever sent there.
Thank you sir that is very kind of you. i wil most certainly take you up on that if ever in the area

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See you when you get back and we are all proud of you for your service to our country.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Thanks brother for serving our country. It doesn't get said enough as far as I'm concerned.
At least the new stadium will be well on it's way when you come back :)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That's awesome man. Go kick some ass and we shall see you back here soon to discuss just how it was that the Rams won the Superbowl by 52 pts................

Spoiler: They smoke the putriots.....and end Tom Lady's career.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yes you are correct ts osut. at the time i signed my contract there was only 1 19d position left so i jumped on it as quickly as i could and didnt want to push it asking for airborne and risk loosing it...although i think under the current administration and the further out we get from the war they are less inclined to easily give out anything. thats just my thoughts tho so who knows. they told me they will come around during the end of training and ask who wants airborne and out of the volunteers they will go off pt scores. hopefully thats true.

I forgot to answer earlier but im going active duty...any suggestions on which in country bases i should put on my wishlist to be stationed? i get 6 choices and am hoping for either italy germany or japan but i also have to put 3 in country

If you get Airborne, then Italy is an easier pull (173rd)... It's a pretty dull base to be honest, but jumping over the countryside is damn beautiful. Plus the unit is really good about getting their guys into some of the more high speed schools, I'd definitely put that at number 1, regardless of if you get an Airborne slot or not. I did some joint training with the 173rd and it was fun, good dudes. I've heard good things about Germany as well, but I've only passed through. The on-post housing (which isn't really on the base, but it's military only) is amazing, the houses are huge. Honestly any base in Europe is cool, because you can do some great traveling over 4 days.

There are tons of different bases, as a Scout you're more likely to go to a place with a lot of armor, such as Fort Hood (Fort Hood sucks though).. The 3rd Cavalry Regiment is there (worked with them, pretty good unit, they have a funky little thing where instead of Hooah they say I-eya or something.. And old Indian war cry)... Germany has the 2nd Cavalry Regiment, so I'd put Germany as #2, since that's obviously a good unit.... 11th Cav is part of OPFOR for Fort Irwin... Do NOT try to go there.

The Army base in Hawaii totally blows.. Navy, Air Force, and Marines all get amazing bases right on the coast, just beautiful... Schofield Barracks (the Army base) is in the middle of the mountains, you can't even see the water... Still, it is Hawaii, and the island isn't that big so the weekends you can go to the beach. Just stick to the tourist areas and go in groups, otherwise locals like to jump military members.

Fort Carson (in Colorado) is a great post, everyone I've spoken to have said it's tons of fun.

Fort Lewis (Washington) is also a good one, but it rains a lot. Did training there with the 2nd Bat guys (Rangers), it was fun.. Those guys a little rowdy though since they're away from the flag. We did airfield seizure training and when we killed the power to the airfield (for training) the 2nd Bat guys would always kill it for the entire post or a large portion of the post for shits and giggles.

Avoid fort Benning, it's going to be filled with idiot Tradoc guys going by the books, other training units, or Rangers. We had our own little place at Benning away from everyone else, but we used to like to go around and start shit with other guys, because Fort Benning is the home of the Rangers, and we had to make sure that everyone knew it was our house. :LOL:

Avoid Bragg as well, the 82nd Airborne is hell to be in, according to everyone I know who spent time in the unit), and Special Forces run the post since that's where JSOC is located.

Fort Drum (New York) is cold as shit, but 10th Mountain gets some good training there... Fort Bliss is up there as the worst base in the entire military.

Avoid Japan or Korea at all costs.

I don't know enough about any other base.

If you can, try to think about what unit you would like to be part of, and pick the base of that unit. If you can, a light scout would be more fun (in my opinion) than a heavy scout.. But I'm biased because I'm a light Infantry guy.. I wouldn't want to be in a Bradley, too much maintenance on those things.

Also keep in mind, your wish-list is just that, a wish-list. The Army will put you wherever they want, honestly I don't even know if they actually look at it. When I was in Infantry school, most people seemed to have an idea of what unit they were going to go to anyway. Obviously, with a Ranger contract, I knew my options were narrowed to 3 bases (Benning, Stewart and Lewis) as long as I passed RIP (now RASP), so I didn't even bother with anything else. Other guys who had Airborne training seemed to know if they were going 82nd or 173rd, regular Infantry guys seemed to know if they were going 10th Mountain, or what.. I dunno, maybe just rumors.

If it were me, I'd make my list

Italy
Germany
Colorado (Carson)
New York (Drum)
Hawaii (Schofield Barracks)
Alaska (Fort Wainwright, I haven't heard bad things about it, so why not?)

Also in terms of training/budget.. The military is still getting a budget like it's in war, so they have a lot of extra cash now that they are scaling back from war.. So that might help with getting those schools. I know a lot of the money is going to Special Operations (obviously), but who knows what will happen.

Last edited:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Best of luck man, thanks for serving. Liked reading your posts, we'll go and get you a playoff win this year! (y)