This Sunday Will be the last Rams game I watch this season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Thank you for serving our country, man. Stay safe, alright?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Im joining the Army....and thank YOU for your service

Just remember, when the going gets tough (and sometimes it will), you'll have a whole bunch of Rams fans on this board that are rooting for you. And whenever you get a chance to get to a computer, be sure to check in!

Me too..I was stationed last on the USS Fletcher

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rViZ2IM6t1I

You guys do know that the Navy only has two types of ships don't you? You know, submarines ... and targets? :ROFLMAO:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
NJ

All the best to you, bless your heart.

Thanks for your service!

I am a Navy dad

I could not be more proud of my son....you've already made someone proud and it's only the beginning!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just remember, when the going gets tough (and sometimes it will), you'll have a whole bunch of Rams fans on this board that are rooting for you. And whenever you get a chance to get to a computer, be sure to check in!

You guys do know that the Navy only has two types of ships don't you? You know, submarines ... and targets? :ROFLMAO:
That's what especially galling! After kicking Soviet submarine arse for decades, the only way a submarine could hurt the Fletcher was by removing its towed sonar array, ASROC vertical launch, NATO Sea Sparrow, Seawiz battle systems..Then remove every part of her that made her a serious warship.....IT WAS ONLY THEN a submarine could sink her...:rant:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Thank you for your service, NJ, from another bubblehead, that's Submarine Service (77-83) for the ground pounders out there.

Like others have said it will be the best and the worst and you'll always remember the best of times and your brothers who serve with you. Good luck comes from good fortune and hard work.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you get Airborne, then Italy is an easier pull (173rd)... It's a pretty dull base to be honest, but jumping over the countryside is damn beautiful. Plus the unit is really good about getting their guys into some of the more high speed schools, I'd definitely put that at number 1, regardless of if you get an Airborne slot or not. I did some joint training with the 173rd and it was fun, good dudes. I've heard good things about Germany as well, but I've only passed through. The on-post housing (which isn't really on the base, but it's military only) is amazing, the houses are huge. Honestly any base in Europe is cool, because you can do some great traveling over 4 days.

There are tons of different bases, as a Scout you're more likely to go to a place with a lot of armor, such as Fort Hood (Fort Hood sucks though).. The 3rd Cavalry Regiment is there (worked with them, pretty good unit, they have a funky little thing where instead of Hooah they say I-eya or something.. And old Indian war cry)... Germany has the 2nd Cavalry Regiment, so I'd put Germany as #2, since that's obviously a good unit.... 11th Cav is part of OPFOR for Fort Irwin... Do NOT try to go there.

The Army base in Hawaii totally blows.. Navy, Air Force, and Marines all get amazing bases right on the coast, just beautiful... Schofield Barracks (the Army base) is in the middle of the mountains, you can't even see the water... Still, it is Hawaii, and the island isn't that big so the weekends you can go to the beach. Just stick to the tourist areas and go in groups, otherwise locals like to jump military members.

Fort Carson (in Colorado) is a great post, everyone I've spoken to have said it's tons of fun.

Fort Lewis (Washington) is also a good one, but it rains a lot. Did training there with the 2nd Bat guys (Rangers), it was fun.. Those guys a little rowdy though since they're away from the flag. We did airfield seizure training and when we killed the power to the airfield (for training) the 2nd Bat guys would always kill it for the entire post or a large portion of the post for shits and giggles.

Avoid fort Benning, it's going to be filled with idiot Tradoc guys going by the books, other training units, or Rangers. We had our own little place at Benning away from everyone else, but we used to like to go around and start crap with other guys, because Fort Benning is the home of the Rangers, and we had to make sure that everyone knew it was our house. :LOL:

Avoid Bragg as well, the 82nd Airborne is hell to be in, according to everyone I know who spent time in the unit), and Special Forces run the post since that's where JSOC is located.

Fort Drum (New York) is cold as crap, but 10th Mountain gets some good training there... Fort Bliss is up there as the worst base in the entire military.

Avoid Japan or Korea at all costs.

I don't know enough about any other base.

If you can, try to think about what unit you would like to be part of, and pick the base of that unit. If you can, a light scout would be more fun (in my opinion) than a heavy scout.. But I'm biased because I'm a light Infantry guy.. I wouldn't want to be in a Bradley, too much maintenance on those things.

Also keep in mind, your wish-list is just that, a wish-list. The Army will put you wherever they want, honestly I don't even know if they actually look at it. When I was in Infantry school, most people seemed to have an idea of what unit they were going to go to anyway. Obviously, with a Ranger contract, I knew my options were narrowed to 3 bases (Benning, Stewart and Lewis) as long as I passed RIP (now RASP), so I didn't even bother with anything else. Other guys who had Airborne training seemed to know if they were going 82nd or 173rd, regular Infantry guys seemed to know if they were going 10th Mountain, or what.. I dunno, maybe just rumors.

If it were me, I'd make my list

Italy
Germany
Colorado (Carson)
New York (Drum)
Hawaii (Schofield Barracks)
Alaska (Fort Wainwright, I haven't heard bad things about it, so why not?)

Also in terms of training/budget.. The military is still getting a budget like it's in war, so they have a lot of extra cash now that they are scaling back from war.. So that might help with getting those schools. I know a lot of the money is going to Special Operations (obviously), but who knows what will happen.
Holy hell...youre the man. seriously you dont understand how much this helps me. first hand encounters of bases is not information easily obtained..do you happen to know where i can learn about the differences between light scout and heavy scout (this hasnt been discussed with me by anyone) and how i would know which units house light or heavy. i tried a quick Google search but i keep getting results of the historic cavalry from like ww1

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We'll miss you @NJRamsFan.

Best of luck and many thanks for serving. Hope you can drop in sometime while you're away, but you're first priority is to kick butt there!!

Cheers! (y)

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Thank you for your services and be safe out there brotha, really enjoyed chopping it up with you about our beloved Rams over the years. Make sure to check in from time to time and let us know how you're doing!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Holy hell...youre the man. seriously you dont understand how much this helps me. first hand encounters of bases is not information easily obtained..do you happen to know where i can learn about the differences between light scout and heavy scout (this hasnt been discussed with me by anyone) and how i would know which units house light or heavy. i tried a quick Google search but i keep getting results of the historic cavalry from like ww1

Light vs Heavy units are all about the types of vehicles they use. So a heavy unit will have armored vehicles, such as a Bradley:
635691108304745063-dfn-us-bradleyjpg

Vs a light unit would utilize light/wheeled vehicles such as the Humvee.. Light units also tend to do more dismounted operations, given that the heavy vehicle is such a force multiplier, you want to keep those vehicles up.

Most Cavalry units have been moving over to Strykers, which are wheeled vehicles, but heavier and more armored than Humvees, but lighter and less armored than a Bradley.
Stryker_25th_ID_Iraq_DF-SD-05-12693.JPEG

In terms of the break-downs, I believe most of the Calvary Regiments have moved to be predominately Stryker.

Mechanized (Heavy) Units that I know of include 1st Cav (avoid this unit if possible), 1st Infantry Division, 3rd Infantry Division (although they do have Light Infantry as well)... 4th Infantry Division has elements of Stryker, Light, and Heavy... 2nd ID is all Stryker...

3rd Cav and 2nd Cav are both Strykers.

Light Infantry will be units like 10th Mountain (excellent history with that unit), 101st (Air Assault, if you can get this unit, I'd do it, but not sure if you need Air Assault in your contract, my guess is no).. 82nd (Airborne) 173rd (Airborne).. Obviously units like the 75th Ranger Regiment would be specialized light infantry.

In terms of the difference, it's going to obviously be the types of vehicles they use (heavier more complicated vehicles means more work for you.. I'd see heavy units sit in the motorpool fixing vehicles every Monday, while we would check out our Humvees and leave, very easy to maintain. Additionally, light units will do more dismounted operations, so there's more physical challenges to those units, having to hump everything on your back in and out.. Personally, I think that's more fun though. I was someone who didn't like to be in a vehicle all the time, I wanted to be on foot.

Both will do some dismounted operations obviously, both will use Humvees (even heavy units, they often rotate depending on the mission).. Units like 10th Mountain, 101st etc, (lineage units) tend to get more deployments, and light units are easier to mobilize and deploy because there are less logistics to get in the way.

I'm not super familiar with Cav things, given that Rangers tend to be more excluded, but we did do missions with other units at times (we'd have them in blocking formations while we assaulted) and would talk to them every so often, so you can get a feel for it. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to say that 1st Cav is the worst, so I'd avoid them. They don't do missions, they don't hold territory, they just kind of suck..

If you have specific questions on anything, feel free to hit me up, I've done a lot of schools, including RASP, Ranger School, Airborne, Air Assault, Sniper, and Military Free Fall, I'm happy to help as much as I can.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Also keep in mind, your wish-list is just that, a wish-list. The Army will put you wherever they want, honestly I don't even know if they actually look at it.
Wow. Good stuff Blue. This is what my son found out. It worked out great for us as he put in for South Korea but they decided they needed him in Tucson. He had the option to trade out but after doing a couple minutes of investigation, decided he'd stick with Tucson. It was funny because his training officer told him that if he puts in for Korea, he'd be going to Korea as few put that high on their list. So yeah... it makes you wonder if they even look at those lists.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I dunno man. My dad's "job" with the Navy was on the crew that took officers around the islands on little junkets in the schooner shown below. The Dwyn Wen. I think I'd take that target over a tube full of seamen any day.
upload_2016-10-21_10-26-28.png

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That title was probably a bit mis leading...because im actually really bummed about not being able to see another game this year.

Anyway, i leave for basic training on monday and will be gone for 22 weeks. Im beyond excited for this new chapter in my life. Just wanted to say its been a real pleasure being part of this board and getting to know all of you. The countless hours ive spent talking rams football with yall has been a highlight of my days since 2012.

Heres to hoping I miss the first magical playoff run in decades. Cheers yall...see ya in a few months :cheers:

And GO RAMS!!

Good luck my friend, my family and I wish you well...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting use of words @RamFan503 The Dwyn Wen was named after the Welsh patron saint of lovers Santess Dwynwen
Good info. I wonder if my sister knows that. Her first name is Dwyn - of course named after the ship. My parents were married on that ship. Surely they most know. They've been married for over 60 years.

And of course I was just teasing 28 over his target comment.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Good info. I wonder if my sister knows that. Her first name is Dwyn - of course named after the ship. My parents were married on that ship. Surely they most know. They've been married for over 60 years.

For a small country the Welsh find their way everywhere ;) We celebrate St Dwynwen's day in wales on the 25th Jan - it's basically our valentines day. Dwyn's a lovely name btw

Knew you were just teasing ;)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

BTW Dwyn is an old welsh word for 'wave' I think - which would also work with the Dwyn Wen - The White Wave