Think you can get a franchise QB in the Middle Rounds...I don't think so!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
If we convince the QB need teams we will pick Manziel at #2, we can trade back and force a run on QB's! Or take Manziel and trade Bradford. Either way we push positional players back to us at 13. I keep hearing NFL teams claiming we can get a franchise QB after round 1. Liar Liar pants on fire! Where there is smoke there is fire. Smoke screen.

Before you get your dandruff up, listen to my logic. Deal?

Fact- Since 2006, not one quarterback chose after the 3rd round is a starter. Tom Brady is an anomaly. Romo is a throw back. Scouting is an art and science. Let's move on...

Teams who need a QB like a man in hell needs a drink of water!

Houston
Jacksonvile
Cleveland
Minnesota
Oakland

Teams who could use a better QB, and would draft a top 4-6 QB if they slid down the draft.

Tampa Bay
Tennessee
NYG- You don’t think so? Chew on this. Your 33 year old QB has an ankle injury and he led the NFL last year with 29 interception.
KC- The Chiefs are have problems negotiating Alex Smith’s contract. It would be cheaper to draft a QB in the first round, and trade Alex Smith.
Cowboys- Very expensive Romo, who is coming off his umpteenth surgery.
Patriots- Are a very smart team, and they will snatch any QB who slips. How many more years does Tom Brady have?
Denver- How many more years does Peyton have. And would you want Peyton to school your QB? You think John Elway and Peyton could groom a solid QB?
Rams- If Bradford get's injured, we will need a QB.

That's 14 teams. How many Franchise QB's are in this draft?

Am I making sense? That’s 14 teams who would be very tempted to choose a QB. Let me repeat a stat, that you might not be aware of. Since 2006, are no NFL starting QB’s drafted after the 3rd round who are starters. Brady is an anomaly. You want to bet your GM job future on an anomaly?

I keep hearing people say you can get a franchise QB in a later round. Well, it better be round 2 or 3, cause it hasn’t happened for 8 years beyond round 3. How many starting QB’s were drafted in rounds 2 and 3? Let’s take a closer look at them.

1. Andy Dalton 35 the pick in draft! 3 away from 1st rounder
2. Jacksonville- Who will start for Jacksonville? I don’t know. What the hell is happening in Jacksonville? But I do know that Jacksonville current QB’s are not from the 1st round.
3. Minnesota- Who the hell is Minnesota’s starting QB…Not a 1st rounder? I don’t know, but I do know they need a new QB bad, to go along with Adrian Peterson, if they want to make the playoffs.
4.Geno Smith- 39th pick…Not working out so well. Is it?
5.Nick Foles- 3rd round winner! But is Nick Foles a product of Chip Kelly’s system, or is he a 3rd round steal?
6. Kaerpernick- 36th player pick, 4 picks away from 1st round. He’s similar to Manziel, but Kaepernick is surrounded by 9 All Pros. What a supporting class!
7.Russel Wilson- 75th player picked. Super Bowl winner who everybody compares to Manziel. Like Kaerpernick he is surrounded by All Pros, and QB of the #1 defense in the NFL.

So out of 32 teams since 2006 we got 4 players who are decent QB’s- Wilson, Kapernick, Foles, and Dalton. 2 of these 4 QB’s were only 4 picks away from going in the first round. Correct?

Not lets’ look at 1st round starting QB’s
1.Carson Palmer
2. Matt Ryan
3. Joe Flacco
4.Cam Newton
5. Jay Cutler
6. EJ Manual
7.Sam Bradford
8 Peyton Manning
9 Eli Manning
10. Mathew Stafford
11. Aaron Rodgers
12 Andrew Luck
13. Ryan Tannehill
14. RG3
15. Alex Smith
16. Drew Brees
17. Ben Roethlisberger
18. Philip Rivers
Bottom Line- 18 first round QB’s with at least 8 Super Bowl wins. Only 3 have never made the playoffs. Sam Bradford, EJ Manual, and Matt Stafford.

2 of the 4 other QBs were drafted within 4 picks of the first round. That leaves 2 NFL starting QB’s drafted in the 3rd round. Foles who had the advantage for a offense the NFL had never seen. And Russell Wilson, a QB with 9 other all pros surrounding his. So in the last 8 years there are 2 QB’s drafted after the 36th pick in the draft who are decent. All the rest were drafted in the first 36 picks.

I pointed out there 5 teams who need a QB NOW, and 7 additional teams who would nab a 1st round like QB if they dropped in their arms. Considering all the QB’s drafted in the first 3 rounds in the last 8 years, would you bet on grabbing a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, to lead you to the Superbowl? I don’t think so. Like I said, since 2006 there are no NFL starting QB’s! THERE WILL BE A RUN ON QUARTERBACKS!

NFL history may be littered with a bunch of 1st round bust QB's , But there are many more 2 round and beyond QB's who never ever make it. If I know this, NFL teams know this. Mark my words, there will be a run on QB's in the first round. 5 QB picked in the first. 3 in the top 10. 4 by our 13th pick.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Don't like the "strategery" there, way too many contingencies and chances for backfire.
If I was going to try to get "cute" with this draft ,I'd send a 4th round pick to Houston to stay put and take a QB and do it today giving two days to wheel and deal for Clowney or secure him whichever they wanted.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm all for the Rams trying to convince other teams we're taking Manziel. Not sure how much it will work though.

I am dead set against the Rams actually taking Manziel.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The bottom line is, if you'r basing your draft on statistical tendencies, you're probably in trouble. Statistically speaking, the Raiders made a good pick with JaMarcus Russell. So did the Texans with David Carr.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The bottom line is, if you'r basing your draft on statistical tendencies, you're probably in trouble. Statistically speaking, the Raiders made a good pick with JaMarcus Russell. So did the Texans with David Carr.
I still wonder if Carr would have been any good had he had anything remotely resembling protection.

The Texans line when healthy resembled certain Rams seasons with injuries.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I still wonder if Carr would have been any good had he had anything remotely resembling protection.

The Texans line when healthy resembled certain Rams seasons with injuries.
Carr just had the worst luck. Because the Texans actually had a good plan putting that team together. They tried to get Carr the best LT in the game at the time in Boselli and they also got another guy for the o-line and neither of them ever really played much. My point being, they tried to shore up the line with good players but both got injured.

As to Carr, he may have been ruined by all of those sacks and playing from day 1 but it said a lot to me when he was cut by Kubiak. Maybe Carr was already broken by that point but whatever it was, Kubiak felt he wasn't worth building around. Considering Carr's from Bakersfield, a lot of people around here wanted him to succeed but he just didn't have what was needed.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't like the "strategery" there, way too many contingencies and chances for backfire.
If I was going to try to get "cute" with this draft ,I'd send a 4th round pick to Houston to stay put and take a QB and do it today giving two days to wheel and deal for Clowney or secure him whichever they wanted.
That's exactly what I want to do. Send our #2 to Cleveland. Cleveland won't do the trade if they think they get the first shot at QB at #4. So we have to make them think they might have the 3rd choice of QB. Wink, wink!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It's interesting that the few anomalous non-first-two-round-QB's you mention, seem to be head and shoulders above several of the 1st round QB's taken, eh?
I know it's wise to not wait on QB's but their certainly isn't a drop-off from the likes of Teddy Bridgewater to Jimmy Garrapallo or Tom Savage. Teams like Minnesota and Jacksonville are both first hand testaments to NOT forcing a QB pick out of desperation, and they're unlikely to repeat that same mistake just 3 years after the fact.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Stafford made the playoffs in 2011 didn't he? I thought they lost to the Saints.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That's exactly what I want to do. Send our #2 to Cleveland. Cleveland won't do the trade if they think they get the first shot at QB at #4. So we have to make them think they might have the 3rd choice of QB. Wink, wink!
I'd go 2&13 for Clevelands 4 and 22? and their 1 next year plus a second this year take the second this year and the 22 and move back up to 14 or so and still get Matthews and Evans and still have two firsts next year.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'd go 2&13 for Clevelands 4 and 22? and their 1 next year plus a second this year take the second this year and the 22 and move back up to 14 or so and still get Matthews and Evans and still have two firsts next year.
Brilliant!

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I would too. Make it happen Thor!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that's more or less stating the obvious. ;)

With how important QBs are, the vast majority of talented ones get pushed up the draft board.

However, there have been some good backups available and you might even find a temporary starter in the 4th through 7th round like Kirk Cousins, Matt Flynn, TJ Yates, John Skelton, Tyler Thigpen, and Bruce Gradkowski.

If you go back a little further to 2000-2005, you have guys like Kyle Orton, Marc Bulger(fringe franchise QB), Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel, David Garrard, Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, etc. (OMITTING TOM BRADY SINCE HE'S A FRANCHISE QB).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meanwhile there are starting OT/OG drafted in rounds all over the place that are studs. There's just not an exact science

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think AZ should be considered as well.
Is Palmer the long term answer?

IF Manziel, or any of the top 3 qbs, falls to AZ, they could take one.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I think that's more or less stating the obvious. ;)

With how important QBs are, the vast majority of talented ones get pushed up the draft board.

However, there have been some good backups available and you might even find a temporary starter in the 4th through 7th round like Kirk Cousins, Matt Flynn, TJ Yates, John Skelton, Tyler Thigpen, and Bruce Gradkowski.

If you go back a little further to 2000-2005, you have guys like Kyle Orton, Marc Bulger(fringe franchise QB), Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel, David Garrard, Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, etc. (OMITTING TOM BRADY SINCE HE'S A FRANCHISE QB).

Call me Miss Obvious Skirts! Yet, the Emperor who wore no clothes should have been blatantly obvious! He was naked, yet most the pooping populous praised the Emperor for his lavish clothes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call me Miss Obvious Skirts! Yet, the Emperor who wore no clothes should have been blatantly obvious! He was naked, yet most the pooping populous praised the Emperor for his lavish clothes.

I'm not really sure how to respond. But me and that emperor have something in common...because I also enjoy not wearing clothes. :LOL:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I really wish I could unread the above message.

No offense, jrry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, look on the bright side, there weren't any images in the post. :whistle: