The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

Lol sorry bro, but what does McVay's future contract have to do with AD?? Coach's salaries are handled separately. And you're "we, not me" assertation from McVay is off base.

As for AD, I agree. I can only make an educated guess like everyone else, and I'm of the belief he is probably looking for 75-85 mill in guarantee, or what the market would dictate in a year or two. If he truly is looking for an opt-out then I would strongly consider letting this thing play out and standing firm.

TexasRam

Legend
Donald absolutely has leverage.

It's this simple. He has $120m with 50-70 guaranteed coming to him.

Rams can pay him or someone else will even if he has to sit a few years.

If he has to sit a few years he is STILL getting paid.

If he is not on the field the Rams defense is affected. Their W-L is affected.

Donald would be stupid to suitup without a new contract. There is a lot of guaranteed money he risks by suiting up.

You get your fair contract then you play. It's that simple.

And Donald is the right guy to pay big money. He is consistent. Durable. High Character. Hall of fame bound.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
If the Rams can win without him, he may want to come back and end his holdout to join in on the fun. Fire your loser agent, Donald.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

If he has to sit a few years he is STILL getting paid.

If he is not on the field the Rams defense is affected. Their W-L is affected.

Donald would be stupid to suitup without a new contract. There is a lot of guaranteed money he risks by suiting up.

You get your fair contract then you play. It's that simple.

And Donald is the right guy to pay big money. He is consistent. Durable. High Character. Hall of fame bound.

So where exactly is his leverage? He's losing more money by holding out, then he's gaining. His leverage is that he's a good player?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

If he sits a few years (which, at this point, I'm not against the Rams making him do so), there is no way he's going to get the kind of contract he wants.

Let's just say that Donald stays obstinate, just like his agent, and he ends up sitting out 2017 and 2018. Finally, in 2019, the Rams let him walk. Who in their right mind is going to throw money commensurate with being a top-3 defensive player at a guy who hasn't taken a snap in three years? If JJ Watt sat out a few seasons and then became available, would you want the Rams to pay him like a top-3 defender?

TexasRam

Legend
So where exactly is his leverage? He's losing more money by holding out, then he's gaining. His leverage is that he's a good player?

I just stated it.

The money he loses by holding out is chump change compared to 120 million he gains with a new contract which he is assured of getting by the Rams or another team. Unless he suits up and gets injured.

To see the leverage you have to put yourself in the Rams shoes. The bottom line is winning football games. Without Donald your defense is hugely affected. We are not talking about replacing Tavon Austin or Jamon Brown. Guys who are inconstent contributors. We are not just talking about a pro bowler either. We are talking about a guy who dominates his opponents, requires double and triple teams and affects the course of every game. It's hard to see from. W-L standpoint because our offense was dead last. But with Donald's presence and middle of league offense the Rams are poised for a playoff level team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If he sits a few years (which, at this point, I'm not against the Rams making him do so), there is no way he's going to get the kind of contract he wants.

Let's just say that Donald stays obstinate, just like his agent, and he ends up sitting out 2017 and 2018. Finally, in 2019, the Rams let him walk. Who in their right mind is going to throw money commensurate with being a top-3 defensive player at a guy who hasn't taken a snap in three years? If JJ Watt sat out a few seasons and then became available, would you want the Rams to pay him like a top-3 defender?

He'd never sit for a few years, I don't even think he'd sit for an entire year. If he sits for more than one year, his career is over... If he sits for an entire year, teams will remember that, and it could hurt his chances for additional paydays elsewhere, what's to stop him from holding out?

The only thing teams hate more than handing out tons of cash is handing out tons of cash to someone who may take it and run.

I think Donald comes back sooner rather than later. With or without his agent.

TexasRam

Legend

Absolutely. Donald would be 29 with little mileage on him and a
Hall of fame resume to back up his play. Not to mention contracts will have gone up even more.

The casual fan might not know Aaron Donald but you can bet your ass that every NFL team
Knows exactly how dominating he is.

But remember he would never sit that long because of the Rams. They would be in dire straights if it came to long holdouts to recoop assets via a trade rather than lose out on what they could gain by trading him, if a long holdout came into play.

The Rams and Aaron are doing the dance right now. The song is not over but soon it will be and there will be more dance partners if a move isn't made.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I just stated it.

The money he loses by holding out is chump change compared to 120 million he gains with a new contract which he is assured of getting by the Rams or another team. Unless he suits up and gets injured.

To see the leverage you have to put yourself in the Rams shoes. The bottom line is winning football games. Without Donald your defense is hugely affected. We are not talking about replacing Tavon Austin or Jamon Brown. Guys who are inconstent contributors. We are not just talking about a pro bowler either. We are talking about a guy who dominates his opponents, requires double and triple teams and affects the course of every game. It's hard to see from. W-L standpoint because our offense was dead last. But with Donald's presence and middle of league offense the Rams are poised for a playoff level team.

I hate to break it to you, but being a difference maker, isn't leverage.

Teams won't just fuck over the future by agreeing to rediculous demands, just to lock up one player. Difference maker or not. He could get hurt, and the team is in the same position they already are. The Rams hold the keys to this car. Not Donald.

And on your next response, about him being 29 after sitting out, no team will give him a mega deal. He'll have sat out for two years without playing a single snap, or training with NFL coaches. They'd want him to prove he's still worth the money. People slow down. Especially when they don't play against top competition. And 30 is typically that magic number. The big men slow down a lot quicker then the smaller players.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Absolutely. Donald would be 29 with little mileage on him and a
Hall of fame resume to back up his play. Not to mention contracts will have gone up even more.

The casual fan might not know Aaron Donald but you can bet your ass that every NFL team
Knows exactly how dominating he is.

But remember he would never sit that long because of the Rams. They would be in dire straights if it came to long holdouts to recoop assets via a trade rather than lose out on what they could gain by trading him, if a long holdout came into play

I was going to respond to this, but ...

And on your next response, about him being 29 after sitting out, no team will give him a mega deal. He'll have sat out for two years without playing a single snap, or training with NFL coaches. They'd want him to prove he's still worth the money. People slow down. Especially when they don't play against top competition. And 30 is typically that magic number. The big men slow down a lot quicker then the smaller players.

... he already did it and said what I would have. Especially the stuff in bold.

Don't get me wrong, I think Donald deserves big money - as do the Rams. But at this point, his holdout is becoming destructive and doing nobody any good.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He'd never sit for a few years, I don't even think he'd sit for an entire year. If he sits for more than one year, his career is over... If he sits for an entire year, teams will remember that, and it could hurt his chances for additional paydays elsewhere, what's to stop him from holding out?

The only thing teams hate more than handing out tons of cash is handing out tons of cash to someone who may take it and run.

I think Donald comes back sooner rather than later. With or without his agent.

He'd be extremely stupid to do so, but he wouldn't be the first player to take bad advice from an agent. Hopefully he's smarter than that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
His fines almost exceed his contract. So he should write a 1.2 mill check, show up for work and that is "we not me"?
I dont know if he's being selfish or not because I dont know either side of the story. What I do know is that he wanted a new contract and the Rams agreed he deserved one. If he wants more than what he's worth, sure its selfish, conversely if they are offering less than what he's worth, he is not being selfish by not accepting.
What is he worth ? What about the rest of the team ?

The WR from Giants got hurt & has been the best in the game. I'd rather Donald be healthy. Quinn has not even played.

It's more complicated than paying him what he is worth. Demoff will try to make the best of the situation.
It looks like it is a little worse than it should be.

TexasRam

Legend
Agree to disagree fellow Ram Bros!!

Every single person in that building is measured by W-L and under heavy pressure to get this team to win consistently.

Donald impacts that measure more
Than any player on defense.

Definition of leverage for English Language Learners:
To use (something valuable) to achieve a desired result.

Is Donald of valuable to the Rams?

Yes.

Is he using that Value to achieve a result?

Yes.

How much leverage he has is perhaps the more accurate question.

The answer of how much we will soon find out.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Orlando Pace
Marshall Faulk

Just a reminder - those gold jacket guys who will live forever in Rams lore - also held out at one point in their careers

It's part of the business side of things. Let the process play out.