The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't think he is being selfish, I think he is being stupid. He has very little leverage here. The Rams basically own the rights to his contract for potentially the next 4 years and his position isn't a must have position. I think it is wise for the Rams to hardball him. Absolute worst case, he sits for the next 4 years (near impossibility). We could trade him, or he can agree to the Rams terms at some point. It's up to him, but he isn't exactly in a power position here.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"My last dollar (flips in the air, catches it and slams it on the table)
BET IT ALL, hat boy!"
~LACHAMP46

Ram65

Legend
The topic that keeps on giving. The Rams have keep moving on. I haven't said much lately because it's one of those topics that doesn't have an easy answer. I knew this was not going to be a fast /easy deal. Hard to point fingers at either side without all the facts. I understand Donald has a lot of money at stake here so I can't completely blame him for holding out. At the same time the Rams can't be pushed to make a deal they don't want to. This is what will happen.

1. They make a deal between now and week 10.
2. Donald reports in time to be on the active roster for week 11 so this year counts toward free agency.
3. A trade which is not likely to happen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If he doesn't return after the final preseason game, I gotta think he's willing to hold out when the regular season starts. If that is the case, they gotta plan accordingly.

A few weeks ago I was on Donald's side. But I also thought it would be resolved by now. I'm starting to believe it won't be resolved and my support for him is waning. Its not like I feel he should report or else. I feel like I do when we lose a key player to free agency. "Welp, its time to start making other plans for that spot. Thats life in the NFL".

The games still must be played and they can't worry about that anymore. Start looking at other options and preparing the rest of the defense. If he returns, great. If he doesn't, we're still trying to win games.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think he is being selfish, I think he is being stupid. He has very little leverage here. The Rams basically own the rights to his contract for potentially the next 4 years and his position isn't a must have position. I think it is wise for the Rams to hardball him. Absolute worst case, he sits for the next 4 years (near impossibility). We could trade him, or he can agree to the Rams terms at some point. It's up to him, but he isn't exactly in a power position here.

If he sits for a year, his value goes down..after two years? No one knows if has trained as hard as he needed to retain his skills...others will claim the spotlight as he becomes a curiosity which fades in time. He can hold the Rams hostage right now, but longer this goes on the more it will hurt him, while he earns nothing. The Rams need to play serious hardball...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That's why I rarely get enamored too much with individual players. I like the team.

Exactly right! I detest the Patriots as much as any ROD member but you don't hear this kind of thing happening with their organization.

Btw how do we know that AD won't do the same thing again two years into his next contract?

If AD is not in the lineup for game #1, I hope the Rams either trade him or take back their contract offer and let him sit out the season.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
If AD is not in the lineup for game #1, I hope the Rams either trade him or take back their contract offer and let him sit out the season.

I would tell him to report in good faith or all contract negotiations end. He hasn't learned enough or practiced enough, that trying to get him up to speed will hurt the rest of the team. So if he hasn't reported prior to Game 1, then all negotiations are off and closed until further notice. I'd play hardball. The longer he holds out, the lower his worth.

socalrams90

Starter
I want him here really bad but I'm at the point where I'm ok entertaining offers. He's hurting us at this point.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Threaten to trade him to the Browns or jets .... that'll get his ass in camp

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
AD has a lot more leverage than most here seem to think IMO. Unless he's asking for more than his proven value (which is ~ 21-22 mil/year right now IMO) then I'll blame the Rams for this. If they don't want to pay him then trade him, but you're not going to get a windfall of picks because you want to be cheap. What potentially elite draft picks will want to play for the Rams when they won't pay the best player in the NFL what he's shown he's worth. OTOH if the contract demand is in the top 10 QB money, then, yeah, the Rams should play hard ball, they would have the leverage if the demands obviously exceed the value. He's not going to play without a contract. They should pay him what he's shown he is worth. If the negotiations break down and it's shown the Rams were trying to low-ball him it will make them look really bad and could have negative repercussion for years.

I still think they'll get a deal done soon.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's why I rarely get enamored too much with individual players. I like the team. Players come and go. Its a rare occasion that I get worked up over a single player. If a player puts himself ahead of the team, there's a time and place for that. To take advantage of other extreme avenues that can cause harm to the team, I begin to consider cutting bait.

If anyone has a problem with earning lots of money in the short earnings window that you refer to, they can change career paths and go do something different where they might be happier.

As far as Aaron goes, I think he will report next Friday so he can have a week of practice before the season begins. If that doesn't happen, alot of fans are going to cut their bait too.
I agree with everything you said.
I still get hooked on players though.
I agree with him coming in before the last preseason game.
Turns out he will end up as many preseason reps as Quinn and Barron.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Substantial does not necessarily mean fair. An 8 year 100 mill contract is substantial, but wouldnt be fair. I agree, there are a lot of rumors, but no facts. The 3 year opt out? Who started that? Again, just a bunch of rumor and nothing factual. Yet some are taking a hard stance on one side or the other.
He may be greedy, the Rams may be cheap, but I'll hold out on judging either side until I know what the facts are.
The ship sailed on the "he's under contract for 2 more years" thing when the Rams essentially agreed the contract should be void. And lesser players than Donald have had their contracts re-done early, so why shouldnt he? Looking a t you Tavon Austin...

I have enough confidence in Snead and Demoff that they did not significantly low-ball Donald. If I had to bet, I'd bet the contract offer would have put Donald at or near the top of all defensive players in terms of pay. Neither Brockers nor Quinn were underpaid, and nobody here (pro Tavon or otherwise) would suggest that Austin was underpaid. So their recent history suggests that they know how to value players, as does the fact that they have publicly acknowledged that Donald has outplayed his contract. I'm confident that the Rams made Donald an offer that is commensurate with his value. It may not be everything Donald wants, but I would bet it's close, and if it's close then he's gaining nothing by short-circuiting further negotiations with his holdout.

There is no need go argue that he should have his contract re-done, as the Rams have already very openly, very publicly, and very unequivocally acknowledged the same. That being said, the S.S. "he's under contract for 2 more years" is still tied firmly to the pier, simply by the fact that it carries legal weight. Donald simply cannot do anything while the Rams hold his rights, and they have those rights for at least 2 more years, more if they want to exercise the franchise tag. As long as Donald continues to hold out, however long that may be, the Rams have the right to take away his ability to earn money as a professional football player. The only way Donald has any ability to increase is earning ability as a football player at this point if for him to show up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So their recent history suggests that they know how to value players
Really? I beg to differ on that. The best CB the Rams had is now a pro bowler with the NY Giants, and the #30 ranked CB is being paid 16.7 mill this year and the club doesnt even know if he's a fit.
Austin contract is a complete joke based on his production as a WR and Quinn's production fell off of a cliff since he signed his deal.

Now it is certainly possible that the Rams have offered him a more than fair deal, and he is being selfish, likewise it is possible that they are low balling him. Either way, I will wait to see what the truth of the matter is before I make broad judgments.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's because it does not exist.
The concept, sure, to a certain point. It's not amateur sports, it's not city league. It's a profession. A profession with a very short earning window.
"We not me" can be applied to roles if players, doing team work etc. in terms of pay, it doesn't exist, never has and really shouldn't.

I hated the O Pace hold out too. The Rams should have let him go. The comp back then was two firsts. This just annoys me. He has a contract that he signed. Honor it. He'll get paid by the highest bidder in a few years. Meanwhile do your damn job.

…..

Legend
You're funny. Did you happen to read what I wrote?
I dot get to decide, and sorry to tell you, but neither do you....
You know who does get to decide? The Rams. And guess what? They have already said that he deserves a new deal.
And unless you know what the terms are, you have no right to cast aspersions on Donald

Yes the Rams have said as much. I'm sure they are trying to do something. The player has changed the game mid budget, he's made his stand. The parameters are in place and the team has been working within those parameters, now the player steps forward and makes demands that take matters outside the workable parameters and the team has to suffer.

Here's where we differ: I don't give a shit about his deal. You on the other hand, continually refer to market value, contract terms, whats fair and whats not. I'm a blue collar guy, so I don't sympathize with people fighting for 120M when the offer is "only" 112M. My take is, get your ass to work while letting process plays out. He's already influenced the process 2 years early. He's already gone to Human resources and filed his complaint. Now, go back to work.

Your take seems to be that AD needs to be treated different than other employees, treated more fairly, compensated more. You dont know what fair market is, but for some reason you seem to care that he gets it. Blackmailing the team is to you, OK, because well....others do it too.

Now....having said all that, I will admit that the entire opinion changes if its contract year. At that point, the Rams should have prepared for the negotiations. At that point, if there is an impasse, then its two entities working on a deal. But I cannot side with the player who is blackmailing a team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He also hasnt outplayed his contract the way Donald has and is getting paid 8 million this year.
What player in the final year of his deal doesn't want a new contract?

This is the system players agreed on. If he is part of the union he should abide by it.