The No Fun League doesn't approve of gladiator helmets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I see nothing funny or good about glorifying violence. It's part of the game but it's not why I watch it and not why I played it when I was younger. Good job NFL.

For once.
wearing a gladiator helmet is glorifying violence? you really think that translates to kids thinking about bloodlust and killing? dude don't be one of those parents that puts your kid in timeout for doing a finger gun making 'bang bang' sounds. he did it cus it's cool and motivating and you're a bit delusional if you think football isnt just a different type of coliseum where man dominates man for entertainment with explosive painful violent hits just with hopefully no one dying but plenty of gruesome injuries. how many ppl or yourself would watch the game if it was reduced to flag football. sorry IMHO double standard bro.

Alan

Legend
Robocop thinking it's less than what meets the eye:
wearing a gladiator helmet is glorifying violence? you really think that translates to kids thinking about bloodlust and killing? dude don't be one of those parents that puts your kid in timeout for doing a finger gun making 'bang bang' sounds. he did it cus it's cool and motivating and you're a bit delusional if you think football isnt just a different type of coliseum where man dominates man for entertainment with explosive painful violent hits just with hopefully no one dying but plenty of gruesome injuries. how many ppl or yourself would watch the game if it was reduced to flag football. sorry IMHO double standard bro.
Yes, it's just another desensitizing message we're sending to anyone who's listening. It's small in and of itself but why add to the mess for no good reason? I remember football and loving it long before it was thought about in those terms. I'm not in favor of glorifying violence if it isn't necessary. Dressing up like a gladiator isn't necessary for anyone's complete enjoyment of the game.

On a side note, I loved it when they called the Rams a finesse team. Even thinking about it in a martial way, who doesn't root for Bonds when he goes against hulking bad guys like Jaws or Oddjob. The Rams were the James Bond of the NFL. :) Finesse is just another way of saying highly skilled.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't see anything wrong with it, I don't see it glorifying violence anymore than movies like Gladiator or 300 glorify it, it is what it is, shit to psyche up the crowd and get them pumped. I doubt it had anything to do with the the history of gladiator combat and all and more that it's cool and synonymous with toughness.

Lets be real here, it hardly has anything to do with that anyways and we know it. Guys paid a lot of money get NFLers to wear their helmets so that kiddies will go and buy them themselves, gotta protect the brand.

Same thing with the fining people for using headphones that aren't the company sponsored ones.

Alan

Legend
HometownBoy thinking it's nothing:
I don't see anything wrong with it, I don't see it glorifying violence anymore than movies like Gladiator or 300 glorify it, it is what it is, crap to psyche up the crowd and get them pumped. I doubt it had anything to do with the the history of gladiator combat and all and more that it's cool and synonymous with toughness.

Lets be real here, it hardly has anything to do with that anyways and we know it. Guys paid a lot of money get NFLers to wear their helmets so that kiddies will go and buy them themselves, gotta protect the brand.

Same thing with the fining people for using headphones that aren't the company sponsored ones.
That bolded part of what you said kind of makes my point for me. Or at least half of my point. The other half is the if necessary part. So you agree that it is glorifying violence to some degree and all I'm saying is why add to the mess if it isn't necessary? That's just the way I look at it.

Your example however, bears very little resemblance to what we're talking about. I can't see how you can equate violence with issues about who's making the most money. Oder of magnitude difference IMO.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
That bolded part of what you said kind of makes my point for me. Or at least half of my point. The other half is the if necessary part. So you agree that it is glorifying violence to some degree and all I'm saying is that why add to the mess if it isn't necessary? That's just the way I look at it.

Your example however, bears very little resemblance to what we're talking about. I can't see how you can equate violence with issues about who's making the most money. Oder of magnitude difference IMO.

Because what we're talking about bears little issue to why they fined him, do any of us believe it really had to do with perceived connotations of violence and not that he wasn't wearing the league approved attire at all times on a broadcast? I was just saying it's a moot point because we know that that was the farthest point from their minds, if it even came up.

And of course it's glorifying violence in the fact that it's related to a violent thing, but do I think that it's a legitimate reason? No, because it's has less to do with violence than even the things related to the game itself. It's a lot less glorifying of violence than slapping on a helmet and listening to millions of fans howling for him to crush a WR's sternum. I think that's a little more of a problem than Terrell Suggs convincing kids and fans that it's okay to build a coliseum and kill each other and animals in it with a mask. Especially when, at least imo, things like that from the past have stopped being synonymous with the violent culture around then and just became generic cool things.

Alan

Legend
HometownBoy with this:
Because what we're talking about bears little issue to why they fined him

Especially when, at least imo, things like that from the past have stopped being synonymous with the violent culture around then and just became generic cool things.
Well, it really doesn't matter what their reason is does it? The benefit to society is the same. It's like giving to charity, many people give to charities for reasons that are less than altruistic but the benefits to society are the same. It's one of the main reasons they made them tax exempt.

As for gladiators no linger being associated with violence, I wonder what would make you think that. They keep making new gladiator movies and TV shows all the time. Few people haven't seen the Sparticus Burning Sands series or the remake of Sparticus. Then you have all the movies like 300. I just can't agree with you on that at all.

But it's not a big thing so either way.