The No Fun League doesn't approve of gladiator helmets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ops-fine-suggs-for-pre-game-gladiator-helmet/

NFL uniform cops fine Suggs for pre-game gladiator helmet
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 21, 2014

suggs1.jpg
AP

Terrell Suggs thought it would be fun to fire up the fans in Baltimore by wearing a gladiator helmet in pre-game warmups. The No Fun League thought there was nothing fun about it.

The NFL has confirmed that it fined Suggs $5,512 for a uniform violation.

I thought we needed a boost. We couldn’t afford to start slow,” Suggs said of his choice in headwear.

The league is strict about what players can wear, even before the game starts, and so Suggs is lighter in the wallet as a result. But this fine seems silly. It’s not like Suggs wore a gladiator helmet during the game.

If he did that, he’d get fined a lot more than $5,512.

jap

Legend
Does this mean that it would be economically unfeasible for the Baby Animal to show up wearing Road Warriors garb? :sneaky::LOL:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think that's a NFL-desired rule, but a rule probably insisted on, and watched by, their sponsors. I imagine it's to ensure a across-the-board enforcement to avoid appeals. You let a helmet go, next it's a sock, and then Nike has it's panties in a bunch. I'm going to have to forgo the axis of evil talk on this one, seems prudent from a business standpoint.

Alan

Legend
I see nothing funny or good about glorifying violence. It's part of the game but it's not why I watch it and not why I played it when I was younger. Good job NFL.

For once.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ops-fine-suggs-for-pre-game-gladiator-helmet/

NFL uniform cops fine Suggs for pre-game gladiator helmet
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 21, 2014

suggs1.jpg
AP

Terrell Suggs thought it would be fun to fire up the fans in Baltimore by wearing a gladiator helmet in pre-game warmups. The No Fun League thought there was nothing fun about it.

The NFL has confirmed that it fined Suggs $5,512 for a uniform violation.

I thought we needed a boost. We couldn’t afford to start slow,” Suggs said of his choice in headwear.

The league is strict about what players can wear, even before the game starts, and so Suggs is lighter in the wallet as a result. But this fine seems silly. It’s not like Suggs wore a gladiator helmet during the game.

If he did that, he’d get fined a lot more than $5,512.
Do they inspect 'Jock-Straps' to!? They better make sure nothing Kinky is going ON!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I support the fine, but I'd like to know how they came up with the $5512 figure, it seems strange doesn't it........

Athos

Legend
I support the fine, but I'd like to know how they came up with the $5512 figure, it seems strange doesn't it........

I honestly don't understand ANY of the fines the NFL slaps players with. It's like they pull a number out of a hat, and that's how much you pay.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God forbid the players and fans had a little harmless fun before the game....I just don't get it.

Alan

Legend
I think that fines are based on a percentage of the players salary. That's why they're always different. makes sense to me. You're not going to fine P. Manning $5,000 and expect it to have any effect on his actions.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
God forbid the players and fans had a little harmless fun before the game....I just don't get it.

Nike pays a lot of money and so that settles that.

Even players contracts often won't allow them to sign other makers gear. For instance I heard someone tell a story that they asked an NBA player to sign a hat and he couldn't because he was under contract with another company so he signed a shirt.......or something like that.

The contracts are HUGE and very, very specific. Just like if Coke is a sponsor you can't serve Pepsi.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nike pays a lot of money and so that settles that.

Even players contracts often won't allow them to sign other makers gear. For instance I heard someone tell a story that they asked an NBA player to sign a hat and he couldn't because he was under contract with another company so he signed a shirt.......or something like that.

The contracts are HUGE and very, very specific. Just like if Coke is a sponsor you can't serve Pepsi.
I get all that but this clearly doesn't hurt Nike or any other sponsors. Which NFL sponsor is competing with dollar store gladiator helmets? Seriously though I wish the NFL would just use discretion in instances like this. I get that they have to protect sponsors and enforce the rules strictly but come on...This does nothing more than get the players and fans pumped up in a harmless fashion.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan forgetting:
Stuff.
So correct me if I'm wrong but don't gladiators kill other people to appease the blood lust of the spectators? Do you think that's a great message to send to young fans? Or even to old ones.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So correct me if I'm wrong but don't gladiators kill other people to appease the blood lust of the spectators? Do you think that's a great message to send to young fans? Or even to old ones.
Lol I hope that was meant as a joke.. but come on man this is just freakin' cool. People are forgetting how to have fun... I for one would be excited as hell to see Robert Quinn come out of the tunnel like this..
12_Byrne_SizzleGladiator_instory.jpg

25.jpg

0b9d519a2bd0e503869fd077b9f736edc7eee56022009656604368065b36a1c2_large

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Looking at the pics it's a bit cartoonish, it has a WWF feel to it.........speaking of that where the hell has Boffo been?

I can't believe I'm gonna say this.......but I miss him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think it's ridiculous.
The NFL has forgotten that to most of the world, this is still a game, not a business.
I don't watch the NFL from a business stand point. I don't know anyone who does.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan living in a vacuum:
Lol I hope that was meant as a joke.. but come on man this is just freakin' cool. People are forgetting how to have fun... I for one would be excited as hell to see Robert Quinn come out of the tunnel like this..

Maybe a month ago I'd have the same view but not today. Not after the domestic violence conversation is partially being couched in terms of the NFL being a violent sport so what do you expect. Female fans wearing Rice jerseys and defending him. Attitudes need to change and you think this will help? I think it's exactly the wrong image for the NFL to portray.

Gladiator is one of my favorite movies and I can divorce what the movie is saying about the good guy triumphing over the bad guy from the reality of what life was really like for people back then and that the "good" guy had just recently conquered a nation with all the attendant killing of innocents. Not everyone can do that as my example of the women wearing Rice jerseys can attend to. Perception versus reality is not clear to many people. Violence among fans at stadiums is just another example of this.

I get your point and it's a good one for you and me but not so good for thousands of other people or for the NFL.

It's just my opinion so it's pretty meaningless in the scheme of things but no, I wasn't joking. Doesn't mean I think you're not a great guy NJ. I've read your opinion about many similar types of things and I know you're a good guy. (y) Doesn't mean I agree with everything you say though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think it's ridiculous.
The NFL has forgotten that to most of the world, this is still a game, not a business.
I don't watch the NFL from a business stand point. I don't know anyone who does.

I agree, when the players are on the field it isn't a business anymore, it's a sport. All the other times of the week yeah it's business, but not at 1 pm Sunday.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe a month ago I'd have the same view but not today. Not after the domestic violence conversation is partially being couched in terms of the NFL being a violent sport so what do you expect. Female fans wearing Rice jerseys and defending him. Attitudes need to change and you think this will help? I think it's exactly the wrong image for the NFL to portray.

Gladiator is one of my favorite movies and I can divorce what the movie is saying about the good guy triumphing over the bad guy from the reality of what life was really like for people back then and that the "good" guy had just recently conquered a nation with all the attendant killing of innocents. Not everyone can do that as my example of the women wearing Rice jerseys can attend to. Perception versus reality is not clear to many people. Violence among fans at stadiums is just another example of this.

I get your point and it's a good one for you and me but not so good for thousands of other people or for the NFL.

It's just my opinion so it's pretty meaningless in the scheme of things but no, I wasn't joking. Doesn't mean I think you're not a great guy NJ. I've read your opinion about many similar types of things and I know you're a good guy. (y) Doesn't mean I agree with everything you say though.
No hard feelings Alan, i'm sorry for the "hope this was meant as a joke" comment, I wasn't trying to disrespect you, I just really thought you were kidding.

I respect your opinion but, I think you may be looking a little too deeply into this situation. To me its nothing more than a little fun. Trying to get his team and the fans pumped up. The way I took it is hes drawing a parallel to him being a warrior on the field not addressing domestic violence or anything else off the field. You can find offense in anything if you look hard enough but IMO you're taking this way out of context.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.