The No Fun League doesn't approve of gladiator helmets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan with this:
No hard feelings Alan, i'm sorry for the "hope this was meant as a joke" comment, I wasn't trying to disrespect you, I just really thought you were kidding.

I respect your opinion but, I think you may be looking a little too deeply into this situation. To me its nothing more than a little fun. Trying to get his team and the fans pumped up. The way I took it is hes drawing a parallel to him being a warrior on the field not addressing domestic violence or anything else off the field. You can find offense in anything if you look hard enough but IMO you're taking this way out of context.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.
None taken bro. I know who you are and I like that guy. (y) :LOL:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
According to Nike

2903152581613d8d28.jpg

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So correct me if I'm wrong but don't gladiators kill other people to appease the blood lust of the spectators? Do you think that's a great message to send to young fans? Or even to old ones.
Football players have often been described as the gladiators of our day, it is harmless. These guys give it up for our entertainment every week some sacrifice their bodies and are never the same again after just playing college let alone in the NFL. The league is too tight when it comes to this stuff because of sponsors and $$, they need to let these guys have some fun with this kind of stuff.

They are ok with guys going off after making a tackle, having some fun with the people who pay to see the games should be ok too

Alan

Legend
blackbart not looking beyond the surface:
Football players have often been described as the gladiators of our day, it is harmless. These guys give it up for our entertainment every week some sacrifice their bodies and are never the same again after just playing college let alone in the NFL. The league is too tight when it comes to this stuff because of sponsors and $$, they need to let these guys have some fun with this kind of stuff.

They are ok with guys going off after making a tackle, having some fun with the people who pay to see the games should be ok too
Do you think the glorification of violence is the only they can have some fun? Football is only a game and while to you and me that gladiator stuff is "harmless", it isn't for many.
You need only look at all the women who wore Rice jerseys to the Viking game and supported his actions. In any other setting those same women would have been pillorying him. I understand the point you're making but your method is unsupportable by me. I support a relaxation of many of the restrictions but not this one. The NFL players don't seem to have had too much trouble having fun up until now without that right? ;)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Do you think the glorification of violence is the only they can have some fun? Football is only a game and while to you and me that gladiator stuff is "harmless", it isn't for many.
You need only look at all the women who wore Rice jerseys to the Viking game and supported his actions. In any other setting those same women would have been pillorying him. I understand the point you're making but your method is unsupportable by me. I support a relaxation of many of the restrictions but not this one. The NFL players don't seem to have had too much trouble having fun up until now without that right? ;)
I don't believe that he was glorifying violence, or at least not the kind of things that happen in the Roman colesseum. I do think they have to play with that mentality and reckless abandon or risk serious injury.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm sure the NFL doesn't like the comparison of their league to gladiators but it far closer to the truth than many would like to admit. Thus, a fine must be levied to maintain the veil.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Or bread and circuses.
Thing is when it comes to gladiators, NFL stars have a lot in common. Gladiators were the elite athletes of the day. They were rock stars. They were fed well, rewarded well, and lived well. They had to practice, practice, practice their craft to be good. It was a great honor to compete in the arena. One of their main reasons for being was to distract the general population from the woes of their state of being. Now, for the slaves and sacrificial lambs, it didn't go so well.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Have we really gotten to the point, where as, everything must be taken in the literal sense? I think it's fine.

Is it any different than dressing up for Halloween? In a few weeks some kids in scary costumes are going to show up at my door asking for candy. I'm not going to lecture them on how their bloody costumes are wrong because they promote monsters, axe murders and gore. I'm going to give them a piece of candy.

Alan

Legend
Symbology is important @Dodgersrf .

Halloween costumes don't glorify violence and the win at any cost mentality IMO. If those kids were members of the Crips wearing those same costumes would you have a problem with them? Would you think they were wearing them to intimidate you? It's not just the costume, you have to add the context.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
O wow the red socks is even worse!!!!!!!! Wow...

I can see maybe, maybe if he wore a color that didnt match the outfit but come on. .. it matches!!!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Symbology is important @Dodgersrf .

Halloween costumes don't glorify violence and the win at any cost mentality IMO. If those kids were members of the Crips wearing those same costumes would you have a problem with them? Would you think they were wearing them to intimidate you? It's not just the costume, you have to add the context.
Win? Yes.
At any cost? No, And they play a game.
I doubt his intentions were to fight to the death with lions and other gladiators. It's merely a show.

I also understand the context, but we can't lose sight of the intent. Which I doubt was to kill.

Alan

Legend
Dodgersrf thinking there's no ramifications:
Win? Yes.
At any cost? No, And they play a game.
I doubt his intentions were to fight to the death with lions and other gladiators. It's merely a show.

I also understand the context, but we can't lose sight of the intent. Which I doubt was to kill.
I believe that you are still ignoring the importance of symbols, especially on the more impressionable of us. Or you don't believe that symbols affect anyone's thought processes. But then that would put a lie to thousands of years of belief by mankind that they do. That's why we have them.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I believe that you are still ignoring the importance of symbols, especially on the more impressionable of us. Or you don't believe that symbols affect anyone's thought processes. But then that would put a lie to thousands of years of belief by mankind that they do. That's why we have them.
I could be.
I'm also not as sensitive to things that some find offensive.
This is one of them.

For me it has to be a deliberate act to hurt someone physically or emotionally.
I don't feel that this is the case.