The Forgotten Man: Why WR Marquez North is a Ram to keep an eye on this summer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That seems like quite a stretch. The Redskins top 5 was Garcon, D-Jax, Crowder, Doctson, and Grant. Our top 5 will likely be Woods, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds, and Thomas (although, there are arguments for Cooper and Spruce). Woods and Garcon are comparably fast. Austin and D-Jax are comparably fast. Crowder is slightly faster than Kupp. Doctson and Reynolds are comparably fast. And Thomas is faster than Grant.

At the TE position, Everett and Higbee are every bit as athletic as Reed and old Vernon Davis.

I don't disagree that more than route running and hands matter. Although, for the 6th WR spot, those two things could give a guy the edge, especially if he can play STs.

Top 5? Both the Redskins and the ignored Falcons carried 6 WRs. That's what I looked at.(Doctson hardly played, btw). Plus, I'm considering Spruce here. And I looked at all the TEs in Washington. And not talking athleticism, but speed.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct, but not on Atlanta's final 53.
While we are discussing the Rams final 53 where the estimates are of 6 and some 7 WR, Atlanta isn't a supporting example. Washington had 5 (added a 6th when Doctson was injured) Patriots 5

Ram65

Legend
Top 5? Both the Redskins and the ignored Falcons carried 6 WRs. That's what I looked at.(Doctson hardly played, btw). Plus, I'm considering Spruce here. And I looked at all the TEs in Washington. And not talking athleticism, but speed.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/gerald-everett?id=2557889
4.62 40 yard Rams Everett

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jordan-reed?id=2540160
4.72 40 yard Skins Reed

Everett carried 3 Lbs more too. No 40 time on Higbee as he was recovering from injury. Davis was always fast 4.38 but that was 11-12 years ago. Speed isn't the only asset for big plays. Breaking tackles and a big catch radius helps make catches in stride for more YAC. Higbee reportedly with good speed and being 6'6" and a former wide receiver can be a big play TE.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just one man's opinion. However...

I have a hard time seeing Marquez making the 53 this year. He can and will be replaced on ST.

I have an even harder time NOT seeing Reynolds making the 53, barring an epic failure. He fills a big need and they wanted him badly, although they didn't think he would be there in the 4th.

I see only 6 WR's on the 53. Too many good players at other positions. It becomes a numbers game thing. I see Spruce as one of the six. If he's healthy, I don't think McVay can cut him.

I agree with those that see Kupp being effective at both slot and outside in McVay's O.

I see 3 other WR's playing ahead of Tavon by game six.

I see 4 TE's making the 53, Harkey being the 4th.

I see 9 OL.

I see only 2 QB's.

Man...

I see those final 5-8 cuts as being excruciating.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/gerald-everett?id=2557889
4.62 40 yard Rams Everett

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jordan-reed?id=2540160
4.72 40 yard Skins Reed

Everett carried 3 Lbs more too. No 40 time on Higbee as he was recovering from injury. Davis was always fast 4.38 but that was 11-12 years ago. Speed isn't the only asset for big plays. Breaking tackles and a big catch radius helps make catches in stride for more YAC. Higbee reportedly with good speed and being 6'6" and a former wide receiver can be a big play TE.

Reed did better at his Pro Day, but most do

View: https://twitter.com/nfldraftupdate/status/305390303752372225

Davis may be older, but while he doesn't look 4.38/40 fast anymore, he doesn't look like he's dropped down to the 4.7/40 range from what I saw last year as he was still running by people.

And here are some college 40 times of their 3rd TEs
Niles Paul 4.57/40 Combine, 4.46 Pro Day
Derrick Carrier 4.5/40 Pro Day

BTW, I wasn't considering big plays. Almost anyone can make a big play. I was speaking of explosive plays.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't really care how fast the 6th WR is. He doesn't see the field. That's cool if you want to remove Doctson because he barely played. Bump Ryan Grant up, who is slower than Doctson.

Feel free to look at the TEs in Washington again. Ours are just as fast/athletic if you're talking about the players who will actually play.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't really care how fast the 6th WR is. He doesn't see the field. That's cool if you want to remove Doctson because he barely played. Bump Ryan Grant up, who is slower than Doctson.

Feel free to look at the TEs in Washington again. Ours are just as fast/athletic if you're talking about the players who will actually play.

When you have quality starters ala Garcon, Jackson, Crowder the 6th WR doesn't see the field baring injury. But, when you do not, he can. And especially, with injury to others.

Why would I bump up Grant, when you already included him? So I guess that would mean bumping up Rashad Ross and his Pro Day 4.38/40.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would I bump up Grant, when you already included him? So I guess that would mean bumping up Rashad Ross and his Pro Day 4.38/40.

No, it means bumping up Maurice Harris and his 4.56 40. Ross had 1 catch last year. Harris had 8 catches.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No, it means bumping up Maurice Harris and his 4.56 40. Ross had 1 catch last year. Harris had 8 catches.

Yes. Harris was signed off the practice squad late October. Ross was cut late December.

Either way, that's 9 catches from players who didn't see the field as the 6th WR?

And both of whom are faster than at least half of the Rams WRs many consider with the best chance to make the team.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Harris was signed off the practice squad late October. Ross was cut late December.

Either way, that's 9 catches from players who didn't see the field as the 6th WR?

And both of whom are faster than at least half of the Rams WRs many consider with the best chance to make the team.

Harris got PT because of the Doctson injury. Harris is slower than 4 of our 5 top WRs (Woods, Thomas, Austin, and Reynolds).

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not like that Guy who Predicted the QB / TE from Utah will have 30 catches.
I say one less O'lineman & only 3 TE's
I was in total agreement with this post until I read "one less O lineman". :D

Memphis Ram

Legend
Harris got PT because of the Doctson injury. Harris is slower than 4 of our 5 top WRs (Woods, Thomas, Austin, and Reynolds).

Thomas is already included in the Rams top 5 WRs? I've read the OTA, minicamp stories but I'd hold off until at least of couple preseason games before I locked that in.

And OK. But wouldn't Harris be "comparable" to Woods, Thomas, and Reynolds just like Woods was said to be comparable to Garcon earlier?

But, if we are going by hard numbers, Garcon was timed faster than Woods. And Grant's Pro Day 40 time matches Thomas Pro Day 40 time.

On a side note, I noticed that Josh Reynolds ran a slower 40 at his Pro Day than he did at the combine. Perhaps, that's why he lasted until round 4 (that plus the drops).

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I didn't say he'd be cut, I was only talking about the 53 man roster. I would expect Reynolds to be on the PS if he didn't make the 53.

Edit: I went back to my original post and I specifically had him on the PS. So, I dunno where you got that he'd be cut, but that's not where I was going with that.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
What about 2 running backs and the fullback? A fullback is like a running back. Just uh... blockier. And Austin can play some running back so it would be like having 3 still. Ish. Sort of.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas is already included in the Rams top 5 WRs? I've read the OTA, minicamp stories but I'd hold off until at least of couple preseason games before I locked that in.

And OK. But wouldn't Harris be "comparable" to Woods, Thomas, and Reynolds just like Woods was said to be comparable to Garcon earlier?

But, if we are going by hard numbers, Garcon was timed faster than Woods. And Grant's Pro Day 40 time matches Thomas Pro Day 40 time.

On a side note, I noticed that Josh Reynolds ran a slower 40 at his Pro Day than he did at the combine. Perhaps, that's why he lasted until round 4 (that plus the drops).

Pierre Garcon is 30 years old and has noticeably lost a step. So no, Harris isn't really comparable to those guys. He's slightly slower based on 40 time (but I'd consider Reynolds and Thomas to be more than slightly faster based on film). If Harris is comparably fast, Kupp is comparably fast when compared to Crowder.

Thomas plays much faster than Grant. But sure, if you want to consider them to be comparably fast, go for it. And yes, Thomas is included in the Rams top 5 WRs based on the practice reports.

Regardless, you said the Redskins WRs were, and I quote, "considerably faster" than the Rams WRs. That's not true, as I've demonstrated. If you want to cherry-pick, that's fine. I didn't set out to prove the Rams' WRs are faster. I set out to prove they are comparably fast, and I feel I've done that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Pierre Garcon is 30 years old and has noticeably lost a step. So no, Harris isn't really comparable to those guys. He's slightly slower based on 40 time (but I'd consider Reynolds and Thomas to be more than slightly faster based on film). If Harris is comparably fast, Kupp is comparably fast when compared to Crowder.

Thomas plays much faster than Grant. But sure, if you want to consider them to be comparably fast, go for it. And yes, Thomas is included in the Rams top 5 WRs based on the practice reports.

Regardless, you said the Redskins WRs were, and I quote, "considerably faster" than the Rams WRs. That's not true, as I've demonstrated. If you want to cherry-pick, that's fine. I didn't set out to prove the Rams' WRs are faster. I set out to prove they are comparably fast, and I feel I've done that.

No. I still believe that the 2016 WRs of Washington and Atlanta's (whom you've ignored) were considerably faster than the Rams WRs most talked about potentially making this year's roster. Remember my comments came in response to one regarding Spruce who just so happened not to make your cherry picked top 5. A cherry picked top 5 which ignored that those teams had 6 WRs. Perhaps, to ignore the 4.38/40 speedster Rashad Ross who made the team and was on the roster all but two games (guessing he might have gotten more time if DeSean Jackson went down and took away their explosive speed element). And now you call your opinion proof that you've proved the opposite? You simply based things on the players and terms (ie. catches, athleticism via TEs) that mattered to you.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. I still believe that Washington and Atlanta's WRs (whom you've ignored) are considerably faster than the Rams WRs most talked about potentially making the roster (remember my comments came in response one regarding Spruce). Initially, you cherry picked a top 5 and ignored that those teams had 6 WRs. Plus, the 4.38/40 speedster Rashad Ross who made the team and was on the roster all but two games was completely ignored in your cherry picking because he only had 1 catch. And then called your opinion proof that you've proved the opposite which you didn't. You simply based things on the players and terms (athleticism via TEs) that mattered to you.

I ignored Atlanta because they aren't important. Kyle Shanahan was their OC. McVay, our HC, ran Washington's offense. It is his system we will be running. He will be calling the plays. But if you want to compare us to Washington, okay (in terms of speed):
Julio > Woods
Gabriel < Austin
Sanu < Kupp
Robinson > Reynolds
Hardy < Thomas

I "cherry-picked" the top 5? No, I picked the four guys who are a near certainty to make the final roster. The fifth guy, Thomas, is the guy who has been getting the most first-team reps of the remaining players. My choices were reasonable and accurate. I didn't include the sixth WR because the sixth WR is generally a special teamer and/or not active for games.

You are pissy that I didn't include Rashad Ross because the WRs who actually contributed for the Redskins aren't considerably faster than the Rams' WRs. You need Ross for your argument to work. The problem is that Ross had ONE catch all year and was only active for 5 games. Why would I include him? There were six WRs who had more catches than Ross. Ross was a special teamer. It would be as silly as including Bradley Marquez with the Rams WRs.

Yep, I am calling my opinion proof because you couldn't provide any argument that I was wrong. Your sole contention is based on trying to include a special teamer who had one catch all year. That's asinine.

As for the TEs, Gerald Everett is every bit as athletic as Jordan Reed. And yes, I absolutely believe that Tyler Higbee is as athletic as 32 year old Vernon Davis. This is the same Vernon Davis who looked like he was washed up in 2014 and 2015. But I'll be more direct than athleticism, I believe Everett is every bit as fast as Reed and Higbee is every bit as fast as old ass Vernon Davis. I don't care about Niles Paul or Derek Carrier. They are better athletes than Hemingway, but again, they barely see the field.

Your contentions that the Redskins have superior speed seem to be entirely based on guys who barely play. That's silly. That's like claiming the Rams have a better OL than the Cowboys because our 8th and 9th OLs are better.

The Rams TEs and WRs who will actually contribute this year are every bit as fast as the Redskins TEs and WRs who actually contributed last year. Feel free to worry about who has the faster special teamers. I don't care. I'll take our special teamers over the Redskins' special teamers any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I ignored Atlanta because they aren't important. Kyle Shanahan was their OC. McVay, our HC, ran Washington's offense. It is his system we will be running. He will be calling the plays. But if you want to compare us to Washington, okay (in terms of speed):
Julio > Woods
Gabriel < Austin
Sanu < Kupp
Robinson > Reynolds
Hardy < Thomas

I "cherry-picked" the top 5? No, I picked the four guys who are a near certainty to make the final roster. The fifth guy, Thomas, is the guy who has been getting the most first-team reps of the remaining players. My choices were reasonable and accurate. I didn't include the sixth WR because the sixth WR is generally a special teamer and/or not active for games.

You are pissy that I didn't include Rashad Ross because the WRs who actually contributed for the Redskins aren't considerably faster than the Rams' WRs. You need Ross for your argument to work. The problem is that Ross had ONE catch all year and was only active for 5 games. Why would I include him? There were six WRs who had more catches than Ross. Ross was a special teamer. It would be as silly as including Bradley Marquez with the Rams WRs.

Yep, I am calling my opinion proof because you couldn't provide any argument that I was wrong. Your sole contention is based on trying to include a special teamer who had one catch all year. That's asinine.

As for the TEs, Gerald Everett is every bit as athletic as Jordan Reed. And yes, I absolutely believe that Tyler Higbee is as athletic as 32 year old Vernon Davis. This is the same Vernon Davis who looked like he was washed up in 2014 and 2015. But I'll be more direct than athleticism, I believe Everett is every bit as fast as Reed and Higbee is every bit as fast as old ass Vernon Davis. I don't care about Niles Paul or Derek Carrier. They are better athletes than Hemingway, but again, they barely see the field.

Your contentions that the Redskins have superior speed seem to be entirely based on guys who barely play. That's silly. That's like claiming the Rams have a better OL than the Cowboys because our 8th and 9th OLs are better.

The Rams TEs and WRs who will actually contribute this year are every bit as fast as the Redskins TEs and WRs who actually contributed last year. Feel free to worry about who has the faster special teamers. I don't care. I'll take our special teamers over the Redskins' special teamers any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

No jrry32, you are being pissy and not including Ross because YOU need Ross out in an attempt to make your goalpost shifting point. I'm talking about players making a roster. You are responding by cherry picking via YOUR criteria yet again.

You doing the same with Atlanta picking just 5 WRs when they had 6 on the roster. Either way, I disagree with your findings even there via my eyes and noting that Sanu ran a 4.54/40 at his Pro Day while Hardy ran a 4.4/40 at his Pro Day.

And yes, I do consider Marquez last year. He was on the team. He got some play on offense. Just because the ball didn't go to him alot doesn't mean he wasn't out there sometimes. The game doesn't stop when the starters come out.

You've also gone right back to cherry picking criteria and players at the TE position again, when I'm talking strictly about speed. You don't care about Paul and Carrier, so they don't count. That's nonsense. They were on the team and they played. Especially, when Reed and/or Davis went out.

All players on the team, even those at the bottom of rosters are expected to contribute on offense in case there is an injury or if too many players need a blow. They don't just disappear because you want them to do so or because the ball didn't come their way. At the very least, players could even be using their gifts to clear out areas for others to make plays.

Finally, if you believe that LaFleur (and Olsen for that matter) haven't contributed to the 2017 offensive plan and will just be running McVay's Redskins offense, then I have to laugh or be very worried that McVay would be so closed minded not to consider the opinions of his handpicked offensive staff brought in to help turn this thing around.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No jrry32, you are being pissy and not including Ross because YOU need Ross out in an attempt to make your goalpost shifting point. I'm talking about players making a roster. You are responding by cherry picking via YOUR criteria yet again.

Okay, bud, feel free to include the 7th WR who was on the roster as a special teamer to prove Washington's WRs are faster. If that's what you need for your argument to stand, it's a bad argument.

You doing the same with Atlanta picking just 5 WRs when they had 6 on the roster. Either way, I disagree with your findings even there via my eyes and noting that Sanu ran a 4.54/40 at his Pro Day while Hardy ran a 4.4/40 at his Pro Day.

Yes, I did the same thing with Atlanta. I don't give a fuck about the 6th WR. He's a special teamer who caught a total of 5 passes (with 4 coming in one game). He's not even remotely important.

Sanu ran a 4.67 at the Combine. You're cherry-picking again. Hardy ran a 4.56 at the Combine. Yet again, you're cherry-picking.

That's something you've consistently done. Your arguments rest on cherry-picking numbers that support your theory and fixating on special teamers who barely played on offense.

And yes, I do consider Marquez last year. He was on the team. He got some play on offense. Just because the ball didn't go to him alot doesn't mean he wasn't out there sometimes. The game doesn't stop when the starters come out.

Okay, bro, you consider Marquez as a WR. I don't care. I'll consider the guys who actually played WR, not the guys who played special teams. Marquez barely saw snaps at WR.

If you want to base your opinion of the Redskins having faster WRs on special teamers, do you. I base my opinions of WIDE RECEIVERS on players WHO ACTUALLY PLAY AND CONTRIBUTE AT WIDE RECEIVER.

Apparently, if we give our 6th WR spot to a special teamer WR who doesn't play offense who runs a 4.2 40, we've got faster WRs than the Redskins and Atlanta. I think it's absolutely silly to rest an argument on a special teamer because he's labeled a WR and plays a few snaps there, but you do you. You're just not getting anywhere with me.

You've also gone right back to cherry picking criteria and players at the TE position again, when I'm talking strictly about speed. You don't care about Paul and Carrier, so they don't count. That's nonsense. They were on the team and they played. Especially, when Reed and/or Davis went out.

Niles Paul's and Derek Carrier's COMBINED production from 2016: 4 catches for 37 yards and 0 TDs

Yet again, you're fixating on players who barely contribute to the passing game. So yes, you're right. They don't count in my mind. I care about players who contribute. I don't care about players who play a handful of snaps on offense while playing the majority of their snaps on special teams.

Talk about strictly speed. Everett ran a faster 40 than Reed. Davis ran a faster 40 than Higbee (presumably since Higbee didn't run). But Davis is old and clearly has slowed down considerably. Higbee, on the other hand, is young but has no recorded 40 time. Accordingly, we can't really know where they stack up. But feel free to consider Davis as being faster. That ends up with a 1-1 tie.

Which leaves you basing your entire argument on two guys who caught 4 passes over the entirety of the 2016 season. I know you have no problem doing this because you've been getting angry that I am not letting you do it at WR.

Your entire argument hinges on players who barely saw the field. It's why it's such a bad argument. Nobody judges a QB group based on how good the #3 QB is. That would be asinine. Yet, that is your method to claiming that the Redskins were CONSIDERABLY faster.

All players on the team, even those at the bottom of rosters are expected to contribute on offense in case there is an injury or if too many players need a blow. They don't just disappear because you want them to do so or because the ball didn't come their way. At the very least, players could even be using their gifts to clear out areas for others to make plays

Bullshit. They do disappear when they're not on the field. Players like Marquez and Rashad Ross don't make the team to fill in for injuries. They make the team to play special teams. That is why the Redskins gave Maurice Harris snaps over Ross after promoting him from the practice squad following Doctson going on IR. Harris was put on the roster to play WR. Ross was a special teamer.

You can base your opinion on the depth players on a team. I care about contributors. I care about guys who actually see the field. You made an inaccurate point and are now going to jump through hoops to defend it.

Finally, if you believe that LaFleur (and Olsen for that matter) haven't contributed to the 2017 offensive plan and will just be running McVay's Redskins offense, then I have to laugh or be very worried that McVay would be so closed minded not to consider the opinions of his handpicked offensive staff brought in to help turn this thing around.

Strawman argument. You didn't address my points. LaFleur wasn't running the offense in Atlanta. Kyle Shanahan was. You're being disingenuous when you act like Atlanta was his offense. McVay was running the offense in Washington. He's running the offense here. It doesn't much matter whether or not LaFleur is contributing (which we both know he is) because we don't know what a LaFleur offense would look like. We do know what a McVay offense looks like.

Frankly, though, I don't care. This is a sub-argument of a completely pointless sub-argument.

I met my burden and proved my case. You could have simply accepted it and said that the Rams WRs are faster than you expected. Instead, you're choosing to go around in circles and stand your ground over special teams players to try and make your argument work. Go for it, but I'm not going to continue going in circles with you. I've already demonstrated that the Rams WRs who will actually see the field are comparably fast when compared to the Redskins WRs who actually saw the field. It's impossible to demonstrate that at TE because of Davis's age and Higbee's lack of measurables.(but in terms of football speed, Everett and Reed are about the same)

I'm happy to compromise with you and say that the Redskins special teamer at WR will likely be faster than the Rams' guy this year (same is true at TE). Enjoy that victory, I guess, and enjoy the rest of your night.

Last edited: