The Forgotten Man: Why WR Marquez North is a Ram to keep an eye on this summer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
Who were yours again ??

I can't name 6 Rams WRs who run better routes and have better hands than Spruce. Apparently nobody can.

If you are asking who I think will make the 53, it's Woods, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds, Spruce and either Thomas or Cooper.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't name 6 Rams WRs who run better routes and have better hands than Spruce. Apparently nobody can.

If you are asking who I think will make the 53, it's Woods, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds, Spruce and either Thomas or Cooper.

I'll keep saying until I'm blue in the face The Rams will keep 7 WR's & I think you nailed the 7 Wr's.

My reasoning is number 1 , the player personnel, especially with Greg Robinson being traded. Ram fans have to remember about the importance of special teams. --Rhaney & Chase Reynolds are finally gone. The offensive line has it's core 9 , plus can carry 3 from practice squad. ---Just like the draft it best player vs position.

From watching video both Goff & Gurley are tight with Spruce.He also brings that family type homie touch being he is living with parents who live local.

Spruce is grounded. He showed his excellent ability to run routes against Dallas.His career numbers at Colorado were as good as it gets. All time receptions in the pack 12 history .

I think Cooper Kupp runs better routes routes and is the All time leader inNCAA history.

Mannion is all time PAC 12 leader as well passer.Which all in it's self is pretty cool imo .

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
11 Austin, Tavon WR 5-8 176 26 5 West Virginia **Not nearly as good a route runner, but substantial weapon in the right offense**
10 Cooper, Pharoh WR 5-11 207 22 2 South Carolina **Close, but Spruce has him on route running and hands**
15 Marquez, Bradley WR 5-10 196 24 3 Texas Tech **Close, but Spruce has him, especially on hands**
19 McRoberts, Paul WR 6-2 200 24 1 Southeast Missouri State **still raw, so not yet**
3 North, Marquez WR 6-3 229 21 1 Tennessee **raw prospect, so no**
82 Shippen, Brandon WR 5-11 198 22 1 Temple **incomplete route tree**
86 Spruce, Nelson WR 6-1 205 24 1 Colorado (Standard for question)
13 Thomas, Mike WR 6-1 200 22 2 Southern Miss **if his hands hold up like they have so far, then he's a yes**
17 Woods, Robert WR 6-0 190 25 5 Southern California **pro route runner with substantial hands**

Rookies

xx Kupp, Cooper WR **Kupp as a rookie is the 2nd best route runner on the team and it's not close. Def better than Spruce. And his hands are better**
xx Reynolds, Josh WR **as a measurables guy, Reynolds has the tools and production. That said, he's not the route runner nor does he have the hands of Spruce**

So, based on the question, only TWO WRs have better route running and hands than Spruce; Woods and Kupp.

Does that mean that Spruce makes the team? Not necessarily. McVay is trying to put together a SET of weapons, which means he needs guys who can put pressure on the D in all 9 boxes. Which means he's going to need guys who can stretch the field as well as guys who can get open on short/intermediate routes.

And with McVay's emphasis on using the TE in the passing game, I think it's more likely that a large percentage of those short/intermediate passes will go to the TEs and not necessarily a bunch of WRs. The emphasis on the TE position will, in my early estimates, reduce the demand for multiple slot receivers (and it doesn't thus far look like Kupp is going to be a slot receiver much in this offense).

I still think that 6 WRs is the ceiling for number of WRs the Rams keep and much of that is the lack of viable TEs on the roster. If a solid TE vet shakes loose, don't be surprised if the Rams only keep 5 WRs and go with 4 TEs.

So, with 5 WRs, I see it being Austin, Woods, Kupp, Thomas, Marquez (for his outstanding ST play). If the Rams go 6, then it's a tremendous camp battle and there's no way to know because it's all those guys in a new system with two improved QBs throwing to them in a different camp setting... so no one knows who acclimates the fastest and creates that separation for the coaches.

Cooper, North and Spruce, especially all have very good things going in their favor. All I can say is that we'll see.

But wait. Someone's missing you say? Good eye. Josh Reynolds. If the 2nd year guys really start to step up, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the PS for a year while he got more solid in his technique.

If he makes the team, then a) either he's blowing up or McVay is keeping 6 WRs and b) it means that some of the guys just didn't jump up and grab the opportunity (or got injured. It happens).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
. The emphasis on the TE position will, in my early estimates, reduce the demand for multiple slot receivers (and it doesn't thus far look like Kupp is going to be a slot receiver much in this offense).
Several reports say he IS working primarily from the slot....I have actually read that Spruuuuce is working outside as well as inside.

Cooper, North and Spruce, especially all have very good things going in their favor.
Well, North as you know, was recently cut...So perhaps this is the good thing going in his favor Mac.......lololol

People take the term "slot receiver" and make it out to be a bad thing...It's not, you must be quick, have strong, sure hands, and physically tough...able to take contact and absorb big hits on every reception. And above all else, on the same page as the QB.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Several reports say he IS working primarily from the slot....I have actually read that Spruuuuce is working outside as well as inside.

Well, North as you know, was recently cut...So perhaps this is the good thing going in his favor Mac.......lololol

People take the term "slot receiver" and make it out to be a bad thing...It's not, you must be quick, have strong, sure hands, and physically tough...able to take contact and absorb big hits on every reception. And above all else, on the same page as the QB.

Yeah, I forgot about North for a second, so yeah.

And I absolutely do not denigrate the slot receiver. It's a VERY important receiver and teams can win sometimes with just production from the slot...like the Pats for a few years.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
And don't forget they could IR someone with a temporary IR designation.

That would be my guess.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
11 Austin, Tavon WR 5-8 176 26 5 West Virginia **Not nearly as good a route runner, but substantial weapon in the right offense**
10 Cooper, Pharoh WR 5-11 207 22 2 South Carolina **Close, but Spruce has him on route running and hands**
15 Marquez, Bradley WR 5-10 196 24 3 Texas Tech **Close, but Spruce has him, especially on hands**
19 McRoberts, Paul WR 6-2 200 24 1 Southeast Missouri State **still raw, so not yet**
3 North, Marquez WR 6-3 229 21 1 Tennessee **raw prospect, so no**
82 Shippen, Brandon WR 5-11 198 22 1 Temple **incomplete route tree**
86 Spruce, Nelson WR 6-1 205 24 1 Colorado (Standard for question)
13 Thomas, Mike WR 6-1 200 22 2 Southern Miss **if his hands hold up like they have so far, then he's a yes**
17 Woods, Robert WR 6-0 190 25 5 Southern California **pro route runner with substantial hands**

Rookies

xx Kupp, Cooper WR **Kupp as a rookie is the 2nd best route runner on the team and it's not close. Def better than Spruce. And his hands are better**
xx Reynolds, Josh WR **as a measurables guy, Reynolds has the tools and production. That said, he's not the route runner nor does he have the hands of Spruce**

So, based on the question, only TWO WRs have better route running and hands than Spruce; Woods and Kupp.

Does that mean that Spruce makes the team? Not necessarily. McVay is trying to put together a SET of weapons, which means he needs guys who can put pressure on the D in all 9 boxes. Which means he's going to need guys who can stretch the field as well as guys who can get open on short/intermediate routes.

And with McVay's emphasis on using the TE in the passing game, I think it's more likely that a large percentage of those short/intermediate passes will go to the TEs and not necessarily a bunch of WRs. The emphasis on the TE position will, in my early estimates, reduce the demand for multiple slot receivers (and it doesn't thus far look like Kupp is going to be a slot receiver much in this offense).

I still think that 6 WRs is the ceiling for number of WRs the Rams keep and much of that is the lack of viable TEs on the roster. If a solid TE vet shakes loose, don't be surprised if the Rams only keep 5 WRs and go with 4 TEs.

So, with 5 WRs, I see it being Austin, Woods, Kupp, Thomas, Marquez (for his outstanding ST play). If the Rams go 6, then it's a tremendous camp battle and there's no way to know because it's all those guys in a new system with two improved QBs throwing to them in a different camp setting... so no one knows who acclimates the fastest and creates that separation for the coaches.

Cooper, North and Spruce, especially all have very good things going in their favor. All I can say is that we'll see.

But wait. Someone's missing you say? Good eye. Josh Reynolds. If the 2nd year guys really start to step up, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the PS for a year while he got more solid in his technique.

If he makes the team, then a) either he's blowing up or McVay is keeping 6 WRs and b) it means that some of the guys just didn't jump up and grab the opportunity (or got injured. It happens).

Hell of a good breakdown. Now lets say for the sake of argument, obviously Spruce had good hand technique prior to becoming a Ram. Can whomever else we got left on the WR corps develop that same hand technique especially under a more competent WR coach like Yarber? I honestly think it is achievable. Which I think it will be hard to really know who will go next especially if the hand techniques of all individuals left is finally taking its course. Will it come down to favorites? Or people that can be more dynamic and produce?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll keep saying until I'm blue in the face The Rams will keep 7 WR's & I think you nailed the 7 Wr's.

My reasoning is number 1 , the player personnel, especially with Greg Robinson being traded. Ram fans have to remember about the importance of special teams. --Rhaney & Chase Reynolds are finally gone. The offensive line has it's core 9 , plus can carry 3 from practice squad. ---Just like the draft it best player vs position.

From watching video both Goff & Gurley are tight with Spruce.He also brings that family type homie touch being he is living with parents who live local.

Spruce is grounded. He showed his excellent ability to run routes against Dallas.His career numbers at Colorado were as good as it gets. All time receptions in the pack 12 history .

I think Cooper Kupp runs better routes routes and is the All time leader inNCAA history.

Mannion is all time PAC 12 leader as well passer.Which all in it's self is pretty cool imo .
I would love to see the Rams keep all 7 of these WR's, but I don't see how that is possible! I hope I'm wrong!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I would love to see the Rams keep all 7 of these WR's, but I don't see how that is possible! I hope I'm wrong!!

Hell they might be WR deep and TE deep. Might be the 2 biggest assets on a McVay ran team. I wouldnt be surprised. We will see.

I think this because they will be a dynamic work force that will dissect the field from all angles, and McVay has mentioned the downfield aggressiveness and what he would like to implement.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I'm not like that Guy who Predicted the QB / TE from Utah will have 30 catches.
I say one less O'lineman & only 3 TE's

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Glad to see people are on board with 7 now! I brought up the possibility after draft that we very well could and got met with

"NO WAY!" "7?? I seriously doubt that" "6 MAX! Maybe even 5" .... Doesn't make sense to me in a McFleur Offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Glad to see people are on board with 7 now! I brought up the possibility after draft that we very well could and got met with

"NO WAY!" "7?? I seriously doubt that" "6 MAX! Maybe even 5" .... Doesn't make sense to me in a McFleur Offense.

Not by everyone, There are several real here that concluded th a was a possibility.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Funny thing is that in the "McLeur Offense", Atlanta only had 5 WR on the roster

Memphis Ram

Legend
That right there was a "drop mic" post, bubba...

Take a bow, man. Lol.

Not really, as it assumes that those two are the only criteria that will be considered. I may be mistaken, but I've heard the new OC mention explosive plays and I can't help but to notice that both the Falcons and Redskins WRs cores last year seem to be considerably faster than what the Rams have right now (Even the Redskins TEs are faster)

Besides, unless we've been to practices, we don't know how much others may have improved since being drafted to rival Spruce via routes and hands. But. I do believe that his strength there had to show up better vs. last year's competition.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No they didn't. They had 6.
Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Taylor Gabriel, Justin Hardy, Aldrick Robinson, and Eric Weems
Taylor Gabriel was on opening day roster? I thought they picked him up in September

Memphis Ram

Legend
Taylor Gabriel was on opening day roster? I thought they picked him up in September
Not sure. But, the opening day roster can usually be fluid anyway.

Edit: Just checked. The Falcons claimed him off waivers after he was let go via the Browns final cuts.

Something else to be considered. A 6th WR may not even be on the roster yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really, as it assumes that those two are the only criteria that will be considered. I may be mistaken, but I've heard the new OC mention explosive plays and I can't help but to notice that both the Falcons and Redskins WRs cores last year seem to be considerably faster than what the Rams have right now (Shoot. Even the Redskins TEs are faster)

Besides, unless when been to practices, we don't know how much others may have improved since being drafted to rival Spruce via routes and hands. But. I do believe that his strength there had to show up better vs. last year's competition.

That seems like quite a stretch. The Redskins top 5 was Garcon, D-Jax, Crowder, Doctson, and Grant. Our top 5 will likely be Woods, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds, and Thomas (although, there are arguments for Cooper and Spruce). Woods and Garcon are comparably fast. Austin and D-Jax are comparably fast. Crowder is slightly faster than Kupp. Doctson and Reynolds are comparably fast. And Thomas is faster than Grant.

At the TE position, Everett and Higbee are every bit as athletic as Reed and old Vernon Davis.

I don't disagree that more than route running and hands matter. Although, for the 6th WR spot, those two things could give a guy the edge, especially if he can play STs.