Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Unfortunately Fisher paid him as more than just a possibility guy he paid him to be a top line WR.

That's on Demoff, he does contract all by himself.

I wouldn't be heart broken if they traded him however I'd love to see him operate in a real offense before making any final conclusions.

We are going to see that this year and I am looking forward to it like you are.

Those guys you mentioned are different types of receivers. They are all 6 feet plus and can win jump balls and go over the middle. That's NOT what Tavon is and I wish people would stop comparing him to guys like those and just focus on HIS skillset. You HAVE to look at what he offers in THREE phases of the game.

This is exactly the right response for everyone talking about him as a WR. He's not a WR. He's a weapon you deploy in different ways.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So KD comes up with the numbers? Or did Fisher tell him to pay him like we did and KD made the contract work in the salary cap? We honestly will never know for sure. We do know KD does the contracts and Fisher had total roster control. So would KD sign a guy to a long term if Fisher didn't want him? Again we'll never really know but we do know Fisher had total roster control.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So KD comes up with the numbers? Or did Fisher tell him to pay him like we did and KD made the contract work in the salary cap? We honestly will never know for sure. We do know KD does the contracts and Fisher had total roster control. So would KD sign a guy to a long term if Fisher didn't want him? Again we'll never really know but we do know Fisher had total roster control.

Well from what we know Demoff does the contract work by himself. I'm sure there is input all around but he does the deal. I don't think that Demoff would sign a guy to a contract if Fisher didn't want him because Fisher not wanting a player means there is no reason to talk about a contract.

Roster control and doing the contracts are neighbors but not the same family. That said I am sure they did some tings together, but in the end Fisher decided "whom" and Demoff decided "how much".

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Agreed but the reason Austin was not used on deep patterns is because he was not able to get off the LOS and could not get open. They tried for a couple of years to get downfield but he couldn't, which is why they ran shorter routes to get him the ball in space.

Also have you seen him improve over the last 4 years. That is my biggest concern to be honest

He was able to get off the LOS when SB was healthy, so I dont think that is it. IMO it has been because the Rams have not had a QB that could throw deep enough to not under throw him until Goff came along. Not to mention the fact that the last coaching regime didnt believe in throwing more than 2 passes beyond 20 yards in the same game.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He was able to get off the LOS when SB was healthy, so I dont think that is it. IMO it has been because the Rams have not had a QB that could throw deep enough to not under throw him until Goff came along. Not to mention the fact that the last coaching regime didnt believe in throwing more than 2 passes beyond 20 yards in the same game.

It may sound like I'm railing on Austin and I don't mean to, just holding him accountable.

With Bradford at QB he never had more than 50 yards receiving. In fact the only game he went for 100 yards was with Clemmens at QB. So I'm not sure how you come to the conclusions he was better with Bradford or got off the line better.

Are we forgetting that twice Brian Quick had more receiving yards than Austin, Givens once had more receiving yards, Jared Cook twice had more receiving yards. Kenny Britt had 1000 yards last year.

I just feel like we should expect more from the 8th overall pick and stop blaming others for his mediocrity.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It may sound like I'm railing on Austin and I don't mean to, just holding him accountable.

With Bradford at QB he never had more than 50 yards receiving. In fact the only game he went for 100 yards was with Clemmens at QB. So I'm not sure how you come to the conclusions he was better with Bradford or got off the line better.

Are we forgetting that twice Brian Quick had more receiving yards than Austin, Givens once had more receiving yards, Jared Cook twice had more receiving yards. Kenny Britt had 1000 yards last year.

I just feel like we should expect more from the 8th overall pick and stop blaming others for his mediocrity.

Bradford was the only QB to throw the ball deep to TA before Goff came along. I know he caught a long would be TD from SB that was called back by a penalty in the Carolina game, after SB got hurt there was no point sending TA deep because none of the QBs the Rams had could throw deep enough to hit TA without him having to stop and wait on a jump ball that he is not going to win vs a taller longer CB. If your QB cant throw it it is senseless to send him deep as Ds know the QB cannot throw it far enough to hit him in stride. Teams playing someone over the top and basically bracketing TA doesnt help, but now they cant double or triple TA so he will get off the LOS and have 1 on 1 coverage much more often. Just because he is doubled doesnt mean he cant get off the LOS, it just means Ds arent going to let him beat them. Teams dont play man against TA they sit in zone knowing the QB cannot consistantly throw over their head to hit TA deep.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens with a real OC and a QB with a starting NFL QB caliber arm.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford was the only QB to throw the ball deep to TA before Goff came along. I know he caught a long would be TD from SB that was called back by a penalty in the Carolina game, after SB got hurt there was no point sending TA deep because none of the QBs the Rams had could throw deep enough to hit TA without him having to stop and wait on a jump ball that he is not going to win vs a taller longer CB. If your QB cant throw it it is senseless to send him deep as Ds know the QB cannot throw it far enough to hit him in stride. Teams playing someone over the top and basically bracketing TA doesnt help, but now they cant double or triple TA so he will get off the LOS and have 1 on 1 coverage much more often. Just because he is doubled doesnt mean he cant get off the LOS, it just means Ds arent going to let him beat them. Teams dont play man against TA they sit in zone knowing the QB cannot consistantly throw over their head to hit TA deep.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens with a real OC and a QB with a starting NFL QB caliber arm.

i can only remember a few times of tavon being targeted deep. crazy, and just like you described it.

against the seagulls, he had sherman beat by 5 yards but foles was late by 2 seconds and short of him. and sherman came over the top of him. pi.

against the vikings, he had the db beat by 5 yards but foles was late by 2 seconds and short of him and the db was closing in, tavon dropped it.

his first ever game, against the cards, sammy hit him deep but the honey badger tripped him up, pi.

and that game against the panthers, sammy hit him on the chest in stride for a td, ticky tack penalty against long for tripping.

they're the only ones i can remember. i missed some blowout games so there could be more.

edit - missed the td he scored against the colts from clemens.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I'm sorry dude, agree to disagree. I have given hard facts and you respond with excuses. I'm not attacking you, so please don't take it the wrong way, because I respect your opinion.

My original point was I am tired of excuses with this player and it's time we hold him accountable. I also love his talent and potential! Problem is he has not played to his potential. Chris Givens and Brian Quick have both had more receiving yards in a season.......think about that.

If you want to puke in your mouth, check out the career receiving yards for Chris Givens and Tavon Austin. Bring mouthwash

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I agree TA should have better #s than he has, but I find it hard to blame him for his lack of production. Hopefully this season will settle the great TA debate. I didnt take it personal and I'm not trying to attack you either. 1 of the great things about this board we can discuss/debate without attacking and name calling like some other places are full of.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
and that game against the panthers, sammy hit him on the chest in stride for a td, ticky tack penalty against long for tripping.

That was a REALLY stupid penalty, not ticky tack IMO it was a good and fair call and a knucklehead moment for Long. I remember watching that replay and saying "you idiot" out loud............just a dumb move.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...ely-has-a-role-even-after-sammy-watkins-trade

Tavon Austin 'definitely' has a role after Sammy Watkins trade

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead says he believes Tavon Austin "definitely has a place" on his team, even though it feels as if the offense already has moved on without him.

On Friday morning, the Rams worked out a trade with the Buffalo Bills to make Sammy Watkins their new vertical threat on the outside, a role Austin previously was supposed to fill. Watkins and former Bills teammate Robert Woods will be the Rams' primary receivers. Their slot receiver is Cooper Kupp, a rookie out of Eastern Washington who already looks to have solidified a role.

But the Rams stress that they'll find a place for Austin.

"Tavon is a fast kid," Snead said at a charity luncheon in downtown Los Angeles. "Jimmy Johnson probably said it best, long before I was in football: Speed is important. So having fast people on your team, you never have too many of those."

Austin signed a four-year, $42 million extension weeks before the start of the 2016 season. But he gained only 668 yards from scrimmage that year, which actually represented his second-highest total in four seasons. The Rams then brought in a new head coach (Sean McVay), signed one primary receiver (Woods) and traded for another (Watkins). They also have selected seven wide receivers and tight ends in the past two drafts.

Austin, meanwhile, hasn't been able to get on the field.

Wrist surgery in the spring made him a spectator while the Rams went about their offseason program. The 26-year-old was a full participant at the start of training camp, but a hamstring injury has kept him out of practice for the past 11 days. And it's hard to envision his role once he returns.

Austin always has made an impact on punt returns, but he has hardly ever been an ideal fit on offense. His blazing speed screams vertical threat, but his height (5-foot-8) does not. Former Rams coach Jeff Fisher used Austin mostly as a gadget receiver the past four seasons. He made 75 of his 181 catches behind the line of scrimmage and carried the ball 125 times out of the backfield. His best season was 2015, when he gained 907 yards from scrimmage. But unless Austin supplants Kupp as the slot receiver -- seemingly unlikely -- it's hard to see him getting the snaps to produce like that again.

He still can return punts, be on the field on four-receiver sets and perhaps even emerge as an option out of the backfield, but his role won't match his pay.

Austin will cost the Rams close to $15 million toward the salary cap this season, after which the Rams can cut ties with him and absorb only $5 million toward the cap. That's why this was going to be an important season for Austin, and why it now seems his days with the Rams are numbered.

But Snead said he still sees Austin as an effective player when he gets the ball in space -- and having more weapons theoretically will allow him to get the ball in space more often.

"It's we, not me," Snead said, echoing McVay's rallying cry for this team. "It's not just one player; it's not just one star. It's a group. I would love to have a Gonzaga basketball team, where everybody complements each other. Some days it's one person, some days it's another. The sum of the parts is better than the individual."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After last nights game, I'm ready to move Tavon ahead of Woods....Cooper Kupp too...
Man, give the guy some more attempts at least, beyond TWO with Goff!..lol

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I am not comparing skillsets I am comparing production. Kenny Britt outproduced Tavon as receiver with the same coaching. However, a guy I can compare Tavon to is prime Percy Harvin who was utilized in similar manner, had a similar skillset, with a similar dearth of talent around him outside of the RB position. Harvin was never a 1,000 yard receiver, but in his worst year in his prime years with the Vikings where he only played 9 games he still eclipsed Tavon's career high 509 receiving yards with 677. Harvin had a great RB like Tavon does in Gurley, but Sidney Rice had only one good year (Same with Birtt) playing with Harvin. He was still productive as the main guy in an offense devoid of talent where as Tavon has not come close to being as effective as WR.

You are correct in that Percy Harvin is a player like Tavon, and yes his production was better in Minnesota and Seattle. But that doesn't erase the point that Tavon hasn't produced, he has. While you are caught up in raw receiving yards, let's look at scoring history:

Percy Harvin, career total TDs, including return game (not counting 2016): 32

Tavon Austin, career total TDs, including return game: 23.

Tavon has already eclipsed half of Percy career totals, and that number would be better if not for penalties and not playing with one of the worst QB carousel in the league.

And THAT is why Tavon is a weapon. People can get caught up in contract, total receiving, and draft position all they want, but to me that doesn't matter. What matters is his skill set and how he's utilized in offense. Hopefully with a more consistent QB play and other weapons to take the pressure off, Tavon will fly.

Yes the team was down 3 WRs, but you are missing my point. Tavon out touched all of those guys. Barring injury Tavon certainly isn't out touching Watkins who is arguably the most talented player on offense. Furthermore the way McVay has talked up Woods and Kupp and by virtue of being guys McVay brought in I'm not sure he out touches them either. Thats before we even talk about McVays favorite position TE and how he uses RBs in the pass game.

My point is McVay is a TE coach and he loves utilizing the position. When healthy Jordan Reed was the most targeted Redskin and even when he was hurt Vernon Davis got alot of targets. Its just one other spot that will be ahead of Tavon in the pecking order so that has plenty to do with Tavon.

All 6 of your points were a way to show how the coaches don't believe in Tavon as much as the other guys. Now you're trying to steer it in another direction. They brought in WRs and drafted a TE to replace and upgrade the ones that left. And Tavon still remains....

If you want to puke in your mouth, check out the career receiving yards for Chris Givens and Tavon Austin. Bring mouthwash

I did. I was expecting a 1000 yard difference or something.

It's a whopping 137 yards! Oh the horror!

BTW, why did you not ask anyone about TDs or total offensive production?

5 career total TDs for Chris Givens. 23 for Tavon. Hell I don't even need to bring up total yards. This alone says it all on this particular player comparison.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
You are correct in that Percy Harvin is a player like Tavon, and yes his production was better in Minnesota and Seattle. But that doesn't erase the point that Tavon hasn't produced, he has. While you are caught up in raw receiving yards, let's look at scoring history:

Percy Harvin, career total TDs, including return game (not counting 2016): 32

Tavon Austin, career total TDs, including return game: 23.

Tavon has already eclipsed half of Percy career totals, and that number would be better if not for penalties and not playing with one of the worst QB carousel in the league.

And THAT is why Tavon is a weapon. People can get caught up in contract, total receiving, and draft position all they want, but to me that doesn't matter. What matters is his skill set and how he's utilized in offense. Hopefully with a more consistent QB play and other weapons to take the pressure off, Tavon will fly.

All 6 of your points were a way to show how the coaches don't believe in Tavon as much as the other guys. Now you're trying to steer it in another direction. They brought in WRs and drafted a TE to replace and upgrade the ones that left. And Tavon still remains....

I did. I was expecting a 1000 yard difference or something.

It's a whopping 137 yards! Oh the horror!

BTW, why did you not ask anyone about TDs or total offensive production?

5 career total TDs for Chris Givens. 23 for Tavon. Hell I don't even need to bring up total yards. This alone says it all on this particular player comparison.

I know you have a man crush on Tavon so you may not get this but Givens sucks. Now if you want to talk about total yards, give Givens a 125 carries and maybe Givens beats him again.

Givens has more receiving yards then Tavon......is that the coaches fault? Is it the QB play? Did I mention Givens had 1/3 less targets than Tavon. Those damn coaches and QBs just don't give poor Tavon enough opportunities. It's everyone's fault except Tavons.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I know you have a man crush on Tavon so you may not get this but Givens sucks. Now if you want to talk about total yards, give Givens a 125 carries and maybe Givens beats him again.

Givens has more receiving yards then Tavon......is that the coaches fault? Is it the QB play? Did I mention Givens had 1/3 less targets than Tavon. Those damn coaches and QBs just don't give poor Tavon enough opportunities. It's everyone's fault except Tavons.

Leave it to the detractors to IGNORE everything positive about his game and focus on the petty.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's always a combo of both, and a third factor in a carousel of QBs: Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemmons, Shaun Hill, Austin Davis, Case Keenum, Jared Goff. Each going in and out (with the exception of Jared). You're not going to develop chemistry when it's like that.

Last year was just awful for everyone involved.

Those guys you mentioned are different types of receivers. They are all 6 feet plus and can win jump balls and go over the middle. That's NOT what Tavon is and I wish people would stop comparing him to guys like those and just focus on HIS skillset. You HAVE to look at what he offers in THREE phases of the game.

Points 1, 4, and 6: They are simply (better) replacements for Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, and Stedman Bailey. The team was down 3 WRs.

Points 2 and 3: They chose to release Lance Kendricks, and were down a TE. Hence the Gerald Everett pick. It has NOTHING to do with Tavon.

Point 5: Mike Thomas is suspended for 4 games. And when he comes back, he's simply a backup. Nothing more, nothing less.

On the same page. Good points.

Wonder how Ryan Shakier does though ? Maybe with his speed it helps the blocking scheme for when Tavon gets back ?? They have to continue blocking through out.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Leave it to the detractors to IGNORE everything positive about his game and focus on the petty.

Ok, as you ignore the fact he is not productive and overall has been a pretty average player.

I would not call myself a detractor. Love the talent with this players and his explosiveness. Want him to do great! I express concern over his lack of growth as a player the last 4 years. He is no better now than when he was a rookie. He was just given a big contract....will he work to improve, has he worked to improve now that he has the big contract? I feel like these are valid concerns. Some not all are quick to blame QB play and coaching. I just provide examples of other players outperforming him under the same circumstances. Austin has too much talent IMO to have the results he has had. Clearly the Tavon talk is now clearly a lighting rod topic lol

UtahRam

Rookie
Whenever I want to read the most ridiculous opinions of ignorant RAMS fans I click on a Tavon Austin thread...LOL

UtahRam

Rookie
Ok, as you ignore the fact he is not productive and overall has been a pretty average player.

I would not call myself a detractor. Love the talent with this players and his explosiveness. Want him to do great! I express concern over his lack of growth as a player the last 4 years. He is no better now than when he was a rookie. He was just given a big contract....will he work to improve, has he worked to improve now that he has the big contract? I feel like these are valid concerns. Some not all are quick to blame QB play and coaching. I just provide examples of other players outperforming him under the same circumstances. Austin has too much talent IMO to have the results he has had. Clearly the Tavon talk is now clearly a lighting rod topic lol

He hasn't had any decent supporting cast of players around him; musical chairs of QBs. Why not wait until we see him with a new coaching regime and what looks to be a decent group of fellow wide receivers before you trade him away?