Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
What's really entertaining is how you cannot even begin to question Tavon on this board, or even just discuss his weaknesses or need to prove himself this year, without folks losing their minds or assuming you're dumping on the guy.

Way I look at it they went out and got a FA wideout. Then they drafted another one. Then they traded for one. All three of them are better actual wide receivers than Tavon. He's a unique player, no doubt about it, but there's only one ball and they're on the hook to pay the dude a lot of casheesh. It's not out of the realm of reason to consider that he has to prove himself to be a part of this regime's plans.

I agree and I feel like everyone one of my responses include, I don't want to trade him, like his explosiveness, etc. I like the guy, I just want more from him as a receiver. My concern is when is the breakout year coming? We hear about Woods, Kupp, Higbee putting in extra work with Goff. Has Austin done that? Not saying he isn't, I'm just not hearing about it and it concerns me lol.

Yes 2015 was a great rushing year for him, but is it sustainable. Not taking that year away from him either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to avoid the big Tavon fight. Regardless of what you think of him, he needs to get his ass on the field.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
All this Tavon injury stuff seems a little fishy to me. As soon as I found out they traded for Watkins I immediately thought well Tavons gone to make a little extra room for the Donald extension. Then the Rams came out and said they weren't looking to trade Tavon. I'm pretty sure my initial thoughts were right. Tavon will be in a different uniform by weeks end. Hopefully, we can get some Oline help or a decent pick in return for him.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
He hasn't had any decent supporting cast of players around him; musical chairs of QBs. Why not wait until we see him with a new coaching regime and what looks to be a decent group of fellow wide receivers before you trade him away?

We agree.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
He isn't going to get cut this year and he isn't going to get traded this year - let him get healthy and then trust McV to get him 8 good quality touches a game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All this Tavon injury stuff seems a little fishy to me. As soon as I found out they traded for Watkins I immediately thought well Tavons gone to make a little extra room for the Donald extension. Then the Rams came out and said they weren't looking to trade Tavon. I'm pretty sure my initial thoughts were right. Tavon will be in a different uniform by weeks end. Hopefully, we can get some Oline help or a decent pick in return for him.

If being a fan of this game has taught any of us anything, it's that you can't trust the team's official stance in situations like this. So agreed. Even with key guys, core players, there is always that doubletalk so I always see these types of discussions as worthwhile. Some fans are like "team said they have big plans for him no story here," and that's cool, but history shows teams do not play these situations straight.

Also I don't view this discussion as a fight. It's just a discussion. Rams have overhauled their offense and one of the biggest questions right now is how Tavon fits in all that or if he does. No reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch about it tbh. I mean for those tired of seeing the threads, don't read them, that's what I do with many of the "Goff is bad/going to fail" articles I see on Rams sites.

Bradford was an excellent example of what I am talking about. You just cannot trust what a team says, simply because Tavon's value is at risk IF they decide moving him is a real option and it gets picked up as a media storyline.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
If I'm right about this... you cannot be traded if you cannot pass a physical. ...with a hamstring. ...he wouldn't be able to pass a physical. ...if they are stashing him using an injury list the NFL could fine and punish the rams....I am frustrated too... but there is no way to hurry a hamstring. ..once you have the injury. Personally I don't care if we trade Austin for something of value...or give him a chance with suddenly talented offense. ... as long as somehow through trade, or production he helps this team to win!!!!! ;) Go Rams.... none of the other stuff matters to me.... where he was drafted, how much he is paid this year... nothing..... as long as we Win.

Go Rams........ ;)

RamWoodie

Legend
He about folks just reserve themselves until we see how this offense performs?

* It's obvious TA doesn't possess the physicals of a prototypical WR.

*He does have excellent skills and the ability to play multiple positions...and that is rare.

I think he can do more and be more productive...and I'm willing to wait and see.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not fair because the point of that post was a poster was stating it's a coaching issue and QB issue. Based on your comment that would indicate that in fact the coaching has done everything to try and get him more involved. Also my point on that to the other poster is that Austin has not improved in 4 years as a receiver and that we need to stop making excuses for him since guys like Givens, Quick and Cook have more receiving yards than him and that maybe it's not a QB or coaching problem but a player (Austin) problem.
Well, I dont know where to begin here. For one, I am not a huge fan of the guy but am a huge fan of his potential. And the coaching staff we had I believe was incapable of reaching his potential. So maybe I jumped in on a conversation about receiving only, and my bad on that. Personally, strictly based on the way he was used, I dont see how to judge him strictly off his receiving. And with the revolving door of QB he worked with, and the different OC he worked with, I cant see how its comparable to pit him against other WR.
Givens IMO really showed something as a rookie, then he fell off a cliff. So that 1 season really skews his numbers.
Anyway, as I said, I'm not all that invested in the guy but with same lousy OC/QB sitch, our #1 WR Britt amassed 2,400 yards and 11 td. Meanwhile, Austin amassed 2,000 yards (1,200 receiving + 800 rushing) and 15 td.
So with the new staff, and assuming Austin stays with the team, I expect his total yardage numbers to increase. Or if they dont value the rushing component, his rushing may decrease while receiving increase

JRobinson

MiLB
I've read this entire thread. Good points made overall.

But to me, the trade of Watkins solved the "#1" WR position, but it also tells me that Tavon needs to step it up or they will move on. With the drafting of Everett and Kupp, the FA Woods, and the continued emergence of Cooper, they don't have to depend on Tavon for anything. Nothing. Everyone knows he's a "gadget", "space" guy. And his injuries are starting to pile up to go on top of that. IMO, he either fits and performs year one, or he is traded. He's grossly overpaid and everyone knows it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
yeah I know another post but I went back to look at Tavons career numbers and it told a compelling story to me.

1. He played on a terrible team with an even terrible offensive scheme.
2. The offensive scheme was terrible
3. The offense stopped doing the things that actually worked.

Tavon had over 400 rushing yards in 2015 and 4 touchdowns on 52 carries
Then last year they only rush him 28 times don't make any sense

25 of his 58 catches went for first downs last year 6 plays of 20 yards or more only 1 play of 40 yards or more

Austin was never drafted just to be a WR but if he played on a better team or just had better offensive coaches around him his 12 receiving touchdowns would have been a lot better

Between receiving rushing and punt returns he has 23 touchdowns and 3900 yards let this sink in though he had at 8 touchdowns wiped away because of penalties he would have 7 punt returns for touchdowns instead of 3 he would have 10 rushing touchdowns instead of 8 he would have 14 receiving touchdowns instead of 12

Do I think Austin is a 14 touchdown receiver no he isn't but he can give 14 touchdowns in every phase of the game

View attachment 20917
I've been pounding the table over this example for 2 years. He's not a #1 WR. He's a guy who can score TD's from anywhere on the field in any phase when you give him touches.

People get too worked up over the money.

UtahRam

Rookie
Get the ball in his hands. Have him return all kicks and punts. Stop worrying about the money.
/end thread

JRobinson

MiLB
Stop worrying about the money.
/end thread

What are you talking about stop worrying about the money? The money matters bro. It's because of Tavon that we probably can't get Donald locked up right now. You're not going to go to a waffle house to get steak and eggs and pay $15 when you could go to Cracker Barrel, pay the same amount, and get better quality. The money matters dude, and to say that you don't think it does is just oblivious

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's everyone's fault except Tavons.

It is everyones fault including his and he has to do more work. But he's not as bad as you think.

All the same circumstances that Chris Givens, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Jared Cook endured and out produced Tavon.

And add up the total number of times they got the ball behind the LOS and it won't equal some single games the Austin did. Play design matters.

I said receiving yards, since well they are wide receivers. Givens doesn't have 125 rushes so it's not a fair comp.

Once agqin Austion is NOT a WR. It's one of the 3 hats he wears. 4 if you count the decoy effect.

Calling it right now ... they are holding TA out because a trade is in the works

I hope not, I think he has really good potential.

If being a fan of this game has taught any of us anything, it's that you can't trust the team's official stance in situations like this.

You can't trust the team in any situation, that's a fact.

I've been pounding the table over this example for 2 years. He's not a #1 WR. He's a guy who can score TD's from anywhere on the field in any phase when you give him touches.

People get too worked up over the money.

Yes they do get worked up over it, and the draft slot.

If he was the guy they wanted and they knew there was no way he was going to be around then you make the move.

You're not going to go to a waffle house to get steak and eggs and pay $15 when you could go to Cracker Barrel, pay the same amount, and get better quality.

This is very possibly the Jamarcus Russell of post responses.

Waffle House? Cracker Barrel?

Really LOL.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are you talking about stop worrying about the money? The money matters bro. It's because of Tavon that we probably can't get Donald locked up right now. You're not going to go to a waffle house to get steak and eggs and pay $15 when you could go to Cracker Barrel, pay the same amount, and get better quality. The money matters dude, and to say that you don't think it does is just oblivious

Nah.

TexasRam

Legend
I just really want to see Tavon in the role he fits, as the best explosive gadget guy in the business. But a guy that scores TD's on punt returns, reverses, Post patterns, screens and crossing routes. A guy that draws a lot of attention off the other targets. He demands attention with his explosiveness. If you think about it he offeres less than a true WR as a WR but more overall then a WR with his multi-faceted game. So, in my book he's worth 10 mill a year. Once Goff gets time to throw and the 3-header WR monster of Watkins/Kupp/Everett are in full beast mode, Tavon will add that 4th piece that makes us unstoppable. I just want one year to have a shot at that. 15 million this year is steep and overpriced, but for the length of his contract 4 years 42 million seems fair.