Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
The way I look at it, no matter what Austin's production output is this year, he will be gone. His cap figure just carries wayyy too much weight against our budget and along with his annoying Fisher-culture antics, he just doesn't sit right with me. He comes off like he is a passionate, hardworking guy, but his lack of game-day concentration and his very questionable social media posts are worrisome.

Replace him next year with a cheap, mid to late round gadget draftee and allocate the cap savings appropriately. I can swallow a Tru loss because his third rd comp pick will give us two, making up for our lost 2nd, but if we somehow lose Sammy and/or can't resign AD I'm going to be one pissed off camper!!

UtahRam

Rookie
What are you talking about stop worrying about the money? The money matters bro. It's because of Tavon that we probably can't get Donald locked up right now. You're not going to go to a waffle house to get steak and eggs and pay $15 when you could go to Cracker Barrel, pay the same amount, and get better quality. The money matters dude, and to say that you don't think it does is just oblivious

I'm not your "bro" and what the hell is a waffle house...LOL

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ike-tavon-austins-potential-despite-injuries/

Rams still like Tavon Austin’s potential, despite injuries
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 17, 2017

Tavon Austin hasn’t become the kind of player the Rams thought he would be when they traded up to take him with the eighth overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft. But the Rams still think he can be that player.

Rams General Manager Les Snead said on PFT Live that Austin’s wrist and hamstring injuries have been a setback in his ability to learn new coach Sean McVay’s offense, but that doesn’t mean they have lost confidence in him.

“A freakish wrist injury that he actually did doing some clean and jerks during the offseason,” Snead said. “Can you imagine small Tavon doing cleans? Then he comes and has a small hamstring injury during camp.”

Austin has made big plays at times: He has 12 career receiving touchdowns, eight career rushing touchdowns and three career punt return touchdowns. Now the Rams want to see him do it with more consistency.

“We haven’t figured out how much he evolves as a receiver in this offense because he hasn’t had a chance to play,” Snead said. “Plan to see him used very similarly to how he’s been used in the past. By that I mean, he’s scored as a receiver, he’s scored as a running back, he’s scored as a returner. That’s why we like him. He threatens the opposing team in many different ways. We’ve just got to get him healthy.”

If Austin does get healthy, the Rams still believe he has the potential to justify that Top 10 draft pick.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I can say is that it's nice not having to rely on Tavon Austin. Every year since we drafted him, the story has been getting our first round pick to become that dangerous go-route ,take-the-top-off receiver. He hasn't really been that, but he IS a weapon in space, which no one can deny. Yet, the radical change in the WR corps has made Tavon just a nice to have guy, that defenses better not ignore.

Our offense doesn't rely on him anymore, which should make us more calm as Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Josh Reynolds, and Pharoh Cooper cause defenses to go crazy.....THEN, give Tavon the ball!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
All I can say is that it's nice not having to rely on Tavon Austin. Every year since we drafted him, the story has been getting our first round pick to become that dangerous go-route ,take-the-top-off receiver. He hasn't really been that, but he IS a weapon in space, which no one can deny. Yet, the radical change in the WR corps has made Tavon just a nice to have guy, that defenses better not ignore.

Our offense doesn't rely on him anymore, which should make us more calm as Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Josh Reynolds, and Pharoh Cooper cause defenses to go crazy.....THEN, give Tavon the ball!

I know Pharoh Coop is taller than TA, but I think he could replace TA in the gadget scheme. He has some thrust, but overall its his physicality that sets the bar. I am beginning to grow on PC.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Thing is an entire defense can't focus on him every time he goes in motion on the backfield. He is at best #3 on a defensive coordinator's mind if not lower assuming Gurley and the TE position becomes very productive along with Watkins.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Pharoh Coop is taller than TA, but I think he could replace TA in the gadget scheme. He has some thrust, but overall its his physicality that sets the bar. I am beginning to grow on PC.
I was underwhelmed by Cooper last year. I really didn't think he would make the team this year, because I remember the balls he dropped in games (the few chances he had)....which may have been fewer than I remember, I admit. So I am going to have to see him on game day to be a real believer in him...I KNOW Austin had like a 350 combined yard game with multiple TD's...When Cooper does that, I'm a believer.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I was underwhelmed by Cooper last year. I really didn't think he would make the team this year, because I remember the balls he dropped in games (the few chances he had)....which may have been fewer than I remember, I admit. So I am going to have to see him on game day to be a real believer in him...I KNOW Austin had like a 350 combined yard game with multiple TD's...When Cooper does that, I'm a believer.
What dropped passes? http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams-team-stats?season=2016&week=0&category=RECEIVING

I do agree though, he looked underwhelming last season, to be fair all of the offense was underwhelming last season. One thing I noticed is that of his 106 recieving yards, 71 came after the catch. I think Cooper is a more polished receiver than Tavon, and he can be used as a runner, but he's not nearly explosive enough to replace Tavon.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

1st quarter, 10 play drive, Todd Gurley runs it in from the two.

2nd quarter, 7 play drive, Sammy Watkins 30 yard TD pass from Jared Goff.

3rd quarter, 13 play drive 5 yard TD run from Todd Gurley

4th quarter, 1 play, Tavon Austin 75 yard BOMB!

latest

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I hope McVey can find an effective and efficient role for Austin. He doesn't need to be a guy who has 20 touches a game to have a big impact, but, he does need to get the ball in the right ways.

That's it right there. Forget about the draft capital and salary spent on this guy--that ship has sailed. He will never be worth that or be a #1 option. Forcing the offense through him was a mistake and counterproductive.

With all the weapons/options the Rams now have AHEAD of Austin, he will see fewer touches.
...but that works!
Using Austin as a decoy most of the time he's on the field will ultimately get him lost in the defensive priorities. They will simply have too many other things to worry about (hopefully). Catching Austin in a mismatch in space spells big plays. McV is probably the right coach to do this.

Austin is a talented player in his own right and has a place in the NFL. He just will never be the kind of player who can be the main focal point of an offense. He can't be your best weapon because it's too easy to take him outta the game--including PRs.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's it right there. Forget about the draft capital and salary spent on this guy--that ship has sailed. He will never be worth that or be a #1 option. Forcing the offense through him was a mistake and counterproductive.

With all the weapons/options the Rams now have AHEAD of Austin, he will see fewer touches.
...but that works!
Using Austin as a decoy most of the time he's on the field will ultimately get him lost in the defensive priorities. They will simply have too many other things to worry about (hopefully). Catching Austin in a mismatch in space spells big plays. McV is probably the right coach to do this.

Austin is a talented player in his own right and has a place in the NFL. He just will never be the kind of player who can be the main focal point of an offense. He can't be your best weapon because it's too easy to take him outta the game--including PRs.
Amen man.
Motion, motion....Austin on a safety or LB.
or, clearing space with the other higher priority stops and exploit Austin in the open space.
Still tons of potential for Austin.