Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is the year that Tavon has to prove he is worth the contract. With guys like Donald, Watkins and Ogletree to pay, I don't think Tavon will fit into the cap, even if he does prove to workout in McVay's offense. He is getting too much for a guy that can't do it on his own. He needs to be schemed into a play to get him the ball in space. Meanwhile Runningbacks and good receivers rely on their ability to get open within the system.

I think he gets traded after this season, if not before

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He hasn't had any decent supporting cast of players around him; musical chairs of QBs. Why not wait until we see him with a new coaching regime and what looks to be a decent group of fellow wide receivers before you trade him away?

All the same circumstances that Chris Givens, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Jared Cook endured and out produced Tavon.

Also I never said trade him. Please read my posts. I said he has great talent and potential. Never once did I say trade him.

My point has been consistent in terms of my frustration with him. How has he developed over the last 4 years? What part of his game has improved over the last 4 years? This is the question that seems to get avoided. The closest response is it's Fishers fault or our QBs. Has his questionable route running improved? Has his ability to beat the press improved! Has his hands improved? I say no and that is troubling for a 5th Year guy.

And for the record even if you disagree with me that is cool but throwing around the word ignorant about posters is not accepted here. I disagree with you but would never call you ignorant.

To be clear I am rooting for Tavon, I just don't have much faith in him. Hope he proves me wrong.

Debacled

Starter
He hasn't had any decent supporting cast of players around him; musical chairs of QBs. Why not wait until we see him with a new coaching regime and what looks to be a decent group of fellow wide receivers before you trade him away?

Is anyone else tired of players that need a superb supporting cast to succeed? Build a team with those and they'll never win; always relying on a good team rather than that player to make the team good.

For whatever reason there are always a handful of players around here that seem to receive the benefit of the doubt when it comes to on the field shortfalls. Austin leads that pack. Do I want him to do better, be what most here seem to think he is? Sure, but at this point I am far but expecting it.

He needs to polish his routes and actually work on getting decent separation. He still has a penchant to dance too much once he gets the ball in his hands (this is why ultimately WR screens fall short with him). He needs to get it through his head that when on offense he can't handle the ball like a punt return; dancing and making one guy miss doesn't spring him. By the time he makes that one guy look silly he had 4 more on top of him.

After this season I expect them to tell him to take a paycut or cut him outright. Even if he matches his 2015 numbers.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Is anyone else tired of players that need a superb supporting cast to succeed? Build a team with those and they'll never win; always relying on a good team rather than that player to make the team good.

For whatever reason there are always a handful of players around here that seem to receive the benefit of the doubt when it comes to on the field shortfalls. Austin leads that pack. Do I want him to do better, be what most here seem to think he is? Sure, but at this point I am far but expecting it.

He needs to polish his routes and actually work on getting decent separation. He still has a penchant to dance too much once he gets the ball in his hands (this is why ultimately WR screens fall short with him). He needs to get it through his head that when on offense he can't handle the ball like a punt return; dancing and making one guy miss doesn't spring him. By the time he makes that one guy look silly he had 4 more on top of him.

After this season I expect them to tell him to take a paycut or cut him outright. Even if he matches his 2015 numbers.

PREACH!!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you want to puke in your mouth, check out the career receiving yards for Chris Givens and Tavon Austin. Bring mouthwash
Austin has 2,600 career yards and 20 td while givens is at 1800 yards and 5td. Was this supposed to be close?
Not considering his rushing stats doesn't make for a fair comp.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Austin has 2,600 career yards and 20 td while givens is at 1800 yards and 5td. Was this supposed to be close?
Not considering his rushing stats doesn't make for a fair comp.

I said receiving yards, since well they are wide receivers. Givens doesn't have 125 rushes so it's not a fair comp.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said receiving yards, since well they are wide receivers. Givens doesn't have 125 rushes so it's not a fair comp.

You can't look at tavon as just a wr. He was never supposed to be that. That's probably why he went backwards last season because boras just used him as a wr, mainly around the line of scrimmage. .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is it not fair? He has 1000 yards and 8 td on the ground. Ignoring that isn't fair.
I agree he's disappointing but the Rams chose to use him that way, and he has averaged 650 yards and 5 td per year. Not terrible considering they have been the worst offense in the league most of the time

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
How is it not fair? He has 1000 yards and 8 td on the ground. Ignoring that isn't fair.
I agree he's disappointing but the Rams chose to use him that way, and he has averaged 650 yards and 5 td per year. Not terrible considering they have been the worst offense in the league most of the time

It's not fair because the point of that post was a poster was stating it's a coaching issue and QB issue. Based on your comment that would indicate that in fact the coaching has done everything to try and get him more involved. Also my point on that to the other poster is that Austin has not improved in 4 years as a receiver and that we need to stop making excuses for him since guys like Givens, Quick and Cook have more receiving yards than him and that maybe it's not a QB or coaching problem but a player (Austin) problem.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
To be clear I am rooting for Tavon, I just don't have much faith in him. Hope he proves me wrong.

What's really entertaining is how you cannot even begin to question Tavon on this board, or even just discuss his weaknesses or need to prove himself this year, without folks losing their minds or assuming you're dumping on the guy.

Way I look at it they went out and got a FA wideout. Then they drafted another one. Then they traded for one. All three of them are better actual wide receivers than Tavon. He's a unique player, no doubt about it, but there's only one ball and they're on the hook to pay the dude a lot of casheesh. It's not out of the realm of reason to consider that he has to prove himself to be a part of this regime's plans.

RamWoodie

Legend
Tavon is a good player with excellent skills. I think Fisher used him too much as a gadget player and the Rams "so-so" WR corps is another reason he hasn't been able to do more.

Enter McVay...and the "who understands how to use their talent" saga continues...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He is no better now than when he was a rookie.

No way. His last two years he improved his production, again its both as a WR and a RB. Yes, you are correct in raw receiving totals are not as high, but you are again ignoring his overall production.

His rookie year, was in line with a rookie. 2014 he was dealing with Austin Davis and Shaun Davis tag team. Every WR struggled that year, included the ones Chris Givens and Kenny Britt.

That's not an excuse, either because it's what actually happened.

Some not all are quick to blame QB play and coaching. I just provide examples of other players outperforming him under the same circumstances.

QB and coaching are both factors. Yet Tavon has produced. I don't know how else to explain it you.

Yes, Kenny Britt had more receiving yards than him.

But 8, count 'em 8 total TDs. And I already given to you Tavon's total scoring. Does that mean nothing?

And which other WR has outproduced him in the same circumstances? Brian Quick? Stedman Bailey? The only one that comes close is Brandon Gibson.

What's really entertaining is how you cannot even begin to question Tavon on this board, or even just discuss his weaknesses or need to prove himself this year, without folks losing their minds or assuming you're dumping on the guy.

Nothing wrong with that. But it's asinine when you constantly read posts calling for a trade and harping on two things (receiving yards and contract), when every other positive aspect that outweighs those two is ignored or disregarded.

Way I look at it they went out and got a FA wideout. Then they drafted another one. Then they traded for one. All three of them are better actual wide receivers than Tavon. He's a unique player, no doubt about it, but there's only one ball and they're on the hook to pay the dude a lot of casheesh. It's not out of the realm of reason to consider that he has to prove himself to be a part of this regime's plans.

Funny, because the way I look at it is they replaced and upgraded the three WRs that were cut or signed with other teams. Those three guys, along WITH Tavon should make for a pretty good WR group, no?

Tavon and Sammy on the outside, Cooper and Robert inside? And all of them can be moved around and exploit the secondary. Hell yes I will take that! There's a lot of possibilities with this group, which doesn't have to mean one is somehow under more pressure to "prove it" than another.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's funny to me is some people will excuse one player for playing under Fishers offense but not another player at the same position or even another position for that matter.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Calling it right now ... they are holding TA out because a trade is in the works
I have been wondering about this as well and stated as much a week ago. This "injury" stuff seems like horse puckey to me. Then they go and get Watkins......hmmmmmm..