Tavon Austin is an interesting player...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll admit that I too liked Patterson better and lusted after the Rams grabbing him. Think I'd take TA in a heartbeat as it worked out. I have to agree with you as well that no way does Hopkins have those stats with our QB situation. You know what else he doesn't have? The rushing and return yards. Would he be better than our other receivers? It appears so. Would I rather have him than TA? No - not personally but I can certainly see a case to be made.

With Goff here now, I'd rather have Hopkins. But hindsight is 20/20.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Carry on sir.
4052750-a1.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
With Goff here now, I'd rather have Hopkins. But hindsight is 20/20.
Fair enough. As I said - a case can be made. For me, I'll take less skill at the WR position for what I see as TA's other skills. Would I like a Hopkins type receiver to help Goff? Probably. Even though he's a rook, a guy like Cooper might be more help. It will be interesting to watch. You better be right about Goff though dag bernit! :sneaky:

RamzFanz

Damnit
If TA doesn't reach or top 1,400 all purpose yards, counting PRs, AND 10 or more TDs, counting PRs, this season, I will paint myself pink and pull on my nipples and post it on the internet!

Wait! Even better than things I already do, I'll give 43 my Todd Gurley signed football!

Now, what do I get in return @Rams43?

(while I hate to produce this bad mojo, this is if he plays at least 15 full games or that equivalent in minutes, and yes, I've been drinking)

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on man. Cut this kind of bullcrap. Just because some don't buy your argument doesn't mean you are the only one seeing clearly and objectively. I don't see anyone here saying he is the best returner or receiver or running back. Just that he has an elite set of skills that force coaches to game plan for him any time he steps on the field. And that includes punt returns. Looks to me like you have blinders on but I would never accuse you of such.:D

And for the love of God I'm not saying he doesn't! His punt return performance last year was not as good as his first two years. I have blinders on I guess looking at 18th in the NFL in punt return and thinking that is average means I'm blind to his amazing performance in 2015 then so be it. I see pedestrian numbers and called them pedestrian. Sorry I've clearly irritated too many people with my opinion. As for your wait what it was in response to being called a hater because of my opinion on his punt return performance. Obviously calling somebody with an 8.5 yard return average and 3 fumbles is hating. Lets not forget that btw 10 fumbles on punts in 3 years. One in every ten times he returns a punt he fumbles. Enough from me though I'll take my hating and go eat some popcorn while I watch the Dodgers try to close out the game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The real question is why?
His coaching on ST stayed the same and there wasn't a huge turn over in ST players. I don't know tbh and I don't want to speculate cause I already have the hater tag as is :)

RamzFanz

Damnit
His coaching on ST stayed the same and there wasn't a huge turn over in ST players. I don't know tbh and I don't want to speculate cause I already have the hater tag as is :)

It's not about hater, it's about forgetting that they short punted him all season because they knew he was too dangerous to punt to. There were games where he gained the Rams 70-100 yards in just short punts I would bet.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not about hater, it's about forgetting that they short punted him all season because they knew he was too dangerous to punt to. There were games where he gained the Rams 70-100 yards in just short punts I would bet.
And as I've said many times in this thread all the good punt returners deal with that. Some of them still put up good production last year. The haters comment was directed at a couple others.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! Am I surprised.

I posted my opinion as to Austin's overrated status and go off to a nice BBQ and swim party. When I come back 10 hours later I find that I've kicked a hornets nest! Lol.

I never dreamed that my OP would be so controversial.

Just to be clear...

I do NOT hate Tavon Austin.
I do NOT consider him a wasted pick.

Here are his stats, once again... http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15786/tavon-austin

I do think many are overrating him as a PR. I chalk it up to homerism. He's average there, okay? OldSchool and I are right, I think. If not, where are his Pro Bowl trophies? Or Pro Bowl votes? Or even top 10 status?

He's clearly overrated as a WR. Nine TD's in 3 years? Just 1133 receiving yards in 3 years total? C'mon...

As a "gimmick" or "gadget" RB he has been effective. Then again, the coaching staff has had to design plays especially for him to accomplish that.

Myself? I'd prefer to just line up and call running plays for Gurley and pass plays for a #1 type WR all game long.

I don't think he has justified his #8 overall pick status. A do over would have given us Hopkins in the 1st and Warford in the 2nd. Clearly much better value, IMO.

I don't think he reads D's all that well to this day. It's taken 3 OC's to begin to figure out how to use him. His hands are suspect. Size. Catch radius. Strength...

I will say that he's been handicapped by his various QB's play. Goff should be a big improvement there.

Someone pointed out that his '17 salary of $12 million is not guaranteed (think it was jrry32). That's a good point. That means that Austin is on a semi prove it contract year in '16. And if Fisher doesn't produce a winning season this year, Austin is gonna have to convince the new HC that he's worth the $12 million. Good luck with that unless he really has a breakout year.

Having said all the above, I understand that others may see things that I do not see and may have opinions that I do not share. That's cool. Discussion is good for the board's overall health, don't you think?

One last thing. I recommend that we keep our eye on Cooper. As Fisher himself has said, this kid could become a household name for us.

Might be fun to revisit this topic in November and again in January as we prepare for the playoffs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Might be fun to revisit this topic in November and again in January as we prepare for the playoffs.

Oh it's gonna be fun. You and @OldSchool are gonna have a nice platter served up courtesy of #11 when he lights this league the F up.

dietguidelines.jpg

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Your post about TA is rediculous. I guess the multiple returns for TDs called back are his fault. In that case, he is a crap returner. And if it's "reported" that Cooper has a better feel for the playbook now then TA after two years, you better post this so called report otherwise nobody can take this garbage seriously. TA is the definition of electric. Any time the ball is in his hands, whether it be as a receiver or running back, it has a chance to go to the house. How many scores did he have last year? 10 on 141 touches. Gurley had 10 on 250 touches. The team asks Tavon to do it all. Meanwhile he hasn't had a QB worth a damn. Gimme a break. Drops mic.

Totally agree with this, Tavon's stats don't jump off the table and if you don't watch this team every week you would say he's easily overrated. What you don't realize is that the other team has eyes on Tavon all game, no one wants to take a chance on him embarrassing their team so they try their best to keep the ball out of his hands. With Goffs accuracy Tavon should step up big time and make a lot more big plays, I don't remember him catching many balls in stride last year and he still put up 10 overall TD's which is very impressive.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a second tier QB was throwing Tavon the ball all year, and I mean I am talking about the level under Elite, then I would consider those stats light for three years. That is just not the case. As far as I am concerned, with the coaching and the talent on the offensive side of the ball, Tavon has played with both skill and intensity. Now he has a rookie throwing him the ball. I just hope we can keep Tavon until our rookie QB is ready to play. I predict that this would never come up if we had a legitimate starting QB under center not a number two or three.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh it's gonna be fun. You and @OldSchool are gonna have a nice platter served up courtesy of #11 when he lights this league the F up.

dietguidelines.jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong but I never said Tavon was bad. I said he didn't have a good year returning punts last year. If he can somehow go back and change that fact then Crow will be on the menu. Until then there's absolutely no reason for me to eat it. Sorry

Athos

Legend
Considering all WRs not named Nuke and Allen on 2013 have ended up sucking, I'd say he's justified being a first round playmaker.

Keep in mind how much that first round kinda sucks looking at it now. In a redraft, at least half selected and probably more would fall to the second or third.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but I never said Tavon was bad. I said he didn't have a good year returning punts last year. If he can somehow go back and change that fact then Crow will be on the menu. Until then there's absolutely no reason for me to eat it. Sorry

I was just kiddin around with you and 43 brother. Hard to convey tone in these posts I guess.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Considering all WRs not named Nuke and Allen on 2013 have ended up sucking, I'd say he's justified being a first round playmaker.

Keep in mind how much that first round kinda sucks looking at it now. In a redraft, at least half selected and probably more would fall to the second or third.

I'm not generally a big fan of hindsight drafting, Athos.

It's inherently unfair.

But to trade up to #8 overall, including giving up our 2nd rounder for a "gadget" player that struggled to master the playbook and make sight adjustments? And lacked good hands? Then turn him over to an OC that publicly said he hadn't figured out how to use him? Dang!

NOT the best trade that S&F have pulled off, IMO.

Tavon gets by on athleticism and instincts. He's not a cerebral football player. Quicks and speed are his game.

I would favor a more traditional and football savvy player, myself.

But clearly, many other posters love his pinball machine sometimes exciting plays. That's cool.