Tavon Austin gets ranked in the top-10 most overrated players list

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Austin overrated or underrated?

• Total voters

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Little known Tavon stat....yeah it's a FF site, but stats are stats...
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/63733/446/dominant-red-zone-receivers
Tavon Austin
It is possible we saw Austin’s fantasy ceiling last season. While he only managed 473 receiving yards, his rushing total bumped his total yardage to 907 and he managed to find the end zone nine times, a total which surpassed his career mark entering the year. When rushes are included, Austin converted seven of his 12 red-zone touches into scores, a rate which is well above average. He will almost certainly be less efficient this season, and it is likely he was bumping up against his red-zone touch ceiling last year. Even if Jared Goff improves the offense as a rookie, it is tough to see Austin in striking distance of double-digit touchdowns again.

Ted Ginn at the top throws me lil bit but...small sample size, but this is still a huge element of the game...It reminds me of 3rd down conversions....

Damn, who knows how to search on pro football reference? and find this list???? Some kinda sort function....

WvuIN02

Starter
I can't believe that are buying that crap. They could have stood on the pick and gotten Hopkins. Instead they move up to 8 and take Tavon with two picks. The Falcons moved up to 6 for Jones. The point was if you move that far up you expect more production regardless of the depth of the draft. Do you actually think that Fisher and Snead said, during the draft that, "this draft sucks so trading to 8 for a player is like getting 15th in another draft? That is ludicrous. They thought they were moving up for a very productive WR. Tory Holt was a 6th pick too. So far Tavons receiving skills aren't anywhere near Holt, Jones, or Hopkins. I clearly wasn't a fan of the move up to pick him. But, I will be happy if he proves me wrong.

I'm convinced you are either willfully ignoring the AWFUL Rams offensive passing game or you are just being a hater of the pick.

Now let's look at some of Austin's games last year:
5 rec 42 yards 0 tds
3 rec 40 yards 0 tds
3 rec 24 yards 0 tds
6 rec 124 yards 0 tds
6 rec 47 yards 1 tds

Not all that great is it. Oh wait, those aren't Austin's numbers. Those are ANTONIO BROWN'S numbers when Big Ben was hurt. During a 5 week stretch where Brown was pissed off over offensive production going in the tank with QBs like Mike Vick and Landry Jones. Guess what? The very next game that Big Ben comes back, Brown has 17 receptions and 284 yards receiving. This is a team game, and Austin has had a statistically woeful team around him.

Austin does a lot in a variety of ways. List of guys Austin had as many or more tds than last year.

A.J. Green
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
Sammy Watkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Amari Cooper
Golden Taint

Antonio Brown had 1 more touchdown than Austin last year on a team that would have won the SB probably if not for injuries.

…..

Legend
I've been a fan of Snead ever since he had the balls to trade up for Julio Jones and shock the Falcon fan base because they had such glaring needs at across the defensive front 7. He knew Julio was a once in a lifetime type reciever and went to get him despite what all the "experts" said he needed to do.

Nuts of stone.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm convinced you are either willfully ignoring the AWFUL Rams offensive passing game or you are just being a hater of the pick.

5 rec 42 yards 0 tds
3 rec 40 yards 0 tds
3 rec 24 yards 0 tds
6 rec 124 yards 0 tds
6 rec 47 yards 1 tds

Not all that great is it. Oh wait, those aren't Austin's numbers. Those are ANTONIO BROWN'S numbers when Big Ben was hurt. During a 5 week stretch where Brown was pissed off over offensive production going in the tank with QBs like Mike Vick and Landry Jones. Guess what? The very next game that Big Ben comes back, Brown has 17 receptions and 284 yards receiving. This is a team game, and Austin has had a statistically woeful team around him.

Austin does a lot in a variety of ways. List of guys Austin had as many or more tds than last year.

A.J. Green
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
Sammy Watkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Amari Cooper
Golden Taint

Antonio Brown had 1 more touchdown than Austin last year on a team that would have won the SB probably if not for injuries.

So what you're saying is Goff is going to make Brian Quick a hall of famer? Nevermind I shouldn't say that it's just going to spawn more arguments and that idiotic hater claim. But lets have fun with the QB makes the WR claim.

5 rec 57 yds 1 td Brian Hoyer
5 rec 118 yds 2 td TJ Yates
5 rec 36 yds 0 td Brian Hoyer
8 rec 94 yds 0 td Brandon Weeden
7 rec 117 yds 1 td Brandon Weeden
7 rec 89 yds 0 td Brian Hoyer

Hmmmm that's a lot of production from three terrible QB's! All three were so bad that the team went and signed the biggest free agent QB on the market this year. And you'd think that with that kind of WR production the QB would have been good not lost his starting job.

My point is you can pull numbers from anything to make them work with your argument. Just because a guy has bad QB's doesn't mean he can't produce as a WR. Many WR's throughout NFL history have done exactly that, so many that you would think people wouldn't try to make that straw man argument. Tavon will rise or fall based on his abilities alone not on whether or not he has a good QB throwing to him. Can they be better with good QB play? Absolutely! Can they be better with the same QB play? Absolutely! If people were to say that Brian Quick was going to be very good now that we have a new talented QB you'd laugh them out of the building. Why make the same shallow argument to support your guy?

WvuIN02

Starter
Im sorry. In what world is 10 touchdowns not producing. Look at the list AGAIN of guys he had more tds than. The expectations of Austin are just ridiculous.

The fact is most football fans are people who cant grasp what Austin brings to the table because they view him through a narrow lens of only receiving numbers. Which is laughable.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

5 rec 42 yards 0 tds
3 rec 40 yards 0 tds
3 rec 24 yards 0 tds
6 rec 124 yards 0 tds
6 rec 47 yards 1 tds

A.J. Green
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
Sammy Watkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Amari Cooper
Golden Taint

Your name says all I need to know.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im sorry. In what world is 10 touchdowns not producing. Look at the list AGAIN of guys he had more tds than. The expectations of Austin are just ridiculous.

The fact is most football fans are people who cant grasp what Austin brings to the table because they view him through a narrow lens of only receiving numbers. Which is laughable.
The fact is most people can especially those Rams fans who've watched him three years in the NFL. The fact is everybody on that list has people who call him over rated and people who call him under rated. It just depends on your expectations for the player. It doesn't mean you hate them. It just means you want something different from them and maybe God forbid something more from them. People have differing opinions on a players value and what they bring to the table. It doesn't make them wrong.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I hope TA has a great season -- he certainly is capable - I think it depends on whether the QB and RB can be solid , it will take a lot of focus off Tavon and he can make some plays.

Go TA !!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope TA has a great season -- he certainly is capable - I think it depends on whether the QB and RB can be solid , it will take a lot of focus off Tavon and he can make some plays.

Go TA !!
I hope Goff and the WR/TE group can be good it'll take a lot of the focus off Gurley and he's our best playmaker.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I hope Goff and the WR/TE group can be good it'll take a lot of the focus off Gurley and he's our best playmaker.

true -- the offence as a whole need to have each individual player play their role and play it well - this will make it easier for each other. snowball effect.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

5 rec 42 yards 0 tds
3 rec 40 yards 0 tds
3 rec 24 yards 0 tds
6 rec 124 yards 0 tds
6 rec 47 yards 1 tds

A.J. Green
Julio Jones
Calvin Johnson
Sammy Watkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Amari Cooper
Golden Taint

I break this out for you.........

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've been a fan of Snead ever since he had the balls to trade up for Julio Jones and shock the Falcon fan base because they had such glaring needs at across the defensive front 7. He knew Julio was a once in a lifetime type reciever and went to get him despite what all the "experts" said he needed to do.

Nuts of stone.

Not stone. Hehehe.....

Sometimes when you look up in the sky and say "damn the sun is in my eyes" it's not the sun.

It's the reflection of the sun from his big brass balls.

He is fearless during the draft and the Rams are better because of him. I have said this before, he will at some point draw comparisons to Ozzie Newsome who may be the best GM the NFL has ever seen.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Overrated players are talked about on ESPN..tavon is not ..Overrated players receive big contracts when they don't deserve them (osweiler) tavon might not even get an extension...so I say he's not Overrated at all and he had 10 tds last year which is more than most "real receivers ". The guy doesn't need to be a number 1 just because he was drafted high ...Roy Williams and Charles Rodgers were top 5 receiver picks and both sacked. Tavon gives us another 10 tds I will not complain

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know, one of the top two player makers on the team (offense) shouldn't be considered overrated.

I guess over expectation and envy of other players that aren't on your team leads to undervaluing a very special player on our own team.

I'm sure there are quite of few teams that would take Tavon in a heartbeat.

I appreciate having Tavon on the Rams, he's fun to watch and a game breaker.