Tavon Austin gets ranked in the top-10 most overrated players list

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Austin overrated or underrated?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Tavon Austin gets ranked in the top-10 most overrated players list
usatsi_8225254.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...ed-in-the-top-10-most-overrated-players-list/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | July 25, 2016 9:22 pm ET

It seems like he is the man of the hour, because as of late the Rams former 2013 first-round pick has been hogging headlines.

Tavon Austin has been out trying to develop and improve for the upcoming 2016 campaign, but that doesn’t mean he is shedding any doubters in the process just yet. FOX Sports published an article ranking the top-10 most overrated offensive players and Austin was 6th on that list.

“When Tavon Austin was drafted eighth overall by the Rams, he was expected to be a Percy Harvin-type player with the ability to impact the game through the air, on the ground and on returns. He’s been a nice piece for the Rams thus far, but his production has been lacking by every standard. He set career highs in receptions (52), yards (473) and rushing yards (434) in 2015, but even those numbers aren’t significantly great. Sure, he hasn’t played with the best quarterback situation, but he disappears from games and doesn’t make a large enough impact consistently. Austin is a fun player to watch but he’s a bit overrated.”

Oh the irony! The fact that Austin is considered overrated is because he didn’t live up to the expectations of Percy Harvin who just so happens to be one of the most overrated players in the NFL. Not only that, but Harvin has a career total of 32 touchdowns while Austin has 19 in just three seasons and is on pace to pass Harvin in three years. That’s while playing with quarterbacks Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill and Kellen Clemens while Harvin got to play with Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre.

Not everything that was said was wrong though, Austin hasn’t had lights out numbers as a receiver and that hurts him in a debate. Austin has, however, been used incorrectly. You would think a man with his speed and quickness would be used more over the deep part of the field, but that hasn’t been the case.

In the Rams lackluster offense featured a couple long shots to Austin, but that was pretty much it. One thing that seems a little unfair in the judgment of Austin is that he looked able to hold his own against Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman and Arizona Cardinals’ Patrick Peterson last season. Both are pro-bowl corner backs so that is telling of Austin’s ability.

Don’t blame Austin and don’t call him overrated when he hasn’t had a constant theme at quarterback and a constant plan for his services. Austin has been underutilized and hopefully with a wide receiver guru in the form of Mike Groh it can all change. Keep in mind, the Rams haven’t had an 800 yard receiver since Torry Holt. Who’s to blame for that? Not Austin.
Related:

LOOK: Tavon Austin is working with the best WR in the NFL

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree that Austin is overrated, especially considering that they moved up to pick him, over Hopkins. 8th overall is nearly Julio territory. You move up that far to get Julio production, or even Hopkins production. And how do we know that he is misused? He wasn't a polished receiver in college and the development of his route running while in the NFL, has been slow. Maybe their is a way to use Austin, and Rams coaching is just figuring that out but, stars shine on their own. If someone is really good it is not hard to see despite the team they are on.

This is most likely a prove it year for him and the Rams. His contract will be up and some other coach will be convinced that he can get more out of Tavon than the Rams did, and offer him more than the Rams want to pay.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, fox sports. Has anyone ever read that website? Diabolical.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ugh.There is a difference between overrated and overDRAFTED (at least the way I see it). If anything, Tavon is UNDERrated as a player IMO. I don't care where he was drafted.

jap

Legend
How can one criticize his lack of being used deep when he had no one (save a relatively brief time with Sam the ex-Ram) to throw to him who could hit the broadside of a barn from ten feet away? Of course, some of that is on Tavon due to his relatively poor route running, but he also needed help from other offensive threats, which he lacked completely until the Gurley Express! rumbled into the Saint Louis Depot last fall. NFL defensive coordinators saw all those highlight reel Tavon Awesome recordings and a lot more, and no one was about to allow him to run unabated in free space with the rock if they could help it. Let another Horn receiving threat or two emerge now, and, with super threat Todd commanding uber attention in the backfield, watch Tavon convert all that route running & receiving practice time into some serious YAC & scores. The addition of the Man with the Golden Arm isn't gonna exactly hurt either.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Oh boy another Tavon Austin thread! How many other ways can we bash a guy who scored 10 touchdowns last year?

…..

Legend
Tavon was over rated at draft time. Now three years later, he's a wide receiver.

I guess he's going to carry the draft stigma with him his entire career.

I wont be giving back his touch downs, they're kinda important.

However @jakebogen95 .....I'd be careful with the "underutilized" comments. He led the team in targets last year with 86. There's been games where the Rams appeared to try and force him the ball too often. There has also been games where Tavon has simply been a Ram ornament on the sidelines. The problem we have been having is that he can be better utilized. As in....more effective. That lies on the guy calling the plays. He is not a prototypical reciever. Just adding him to the passing game has not worked. His route tree is limited. Developing plays for him has worked to a degree, but that only adds to the "gimmick" moniker he's given. They need to find a balance.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
Over drafted yes, over paid.... maybe but too soon to tell, don't really think he is overrated though because it's not like anyone puts him up there with the best WRs in the NFL. Everyone knows what he is which is one of the best "gadget" players in the NFL. He is worth having on the team and I have hope that our new offensive coordinator(s) will add to his production by utilizing him more intelligently.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
It looks like many people do not understand the definition of the word overrated. To be overrated you have to be highly rated in the first place! Draft day was he overrated, sure you can make that argument, but I don't think its applicable today

And for all those arguing that we should have taken DeAndre Hopkins stop with the revisionist history. Almost everyone in the league passed on him he was barely a first round pick

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I don't know.... I think...maybe as a pure wide receiver TA may be over rated at this point.....but as a pure weapon. ...no way!!!! .... and although it's true that he doesn't fit neatly into the box of what a number 1 wr is.....it can be argued that last year TA affected the running game.... both in carries and in fakes as a threat .....than a pure no.1 wideout could blocking outside from his spot
And running routes....he was our second best player on offense last year on a team with no quarterback or passing game to speak of. Sure he has short comings....but I do not believe this is a make or break year for him.... it is just a year were we find out if he continues to develop as a wide receiver or if his ceiling is just a very good weapon who can score from anywhere on the field. That's my take....;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why don't we beat up on Brian Quick this week instead?
ROD whack-a-mole.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't know.... I think...maybe as a pure wide receiver TA may be over rated at this point.
But see...i don't think anyone anywhere has claimed he's a great WR. Well except for those WV guys.
IMO he's not that highly rated as a football player so he's not overrated. I like what he brings and i expect more production when we get a QB in here who can help this offense threaten beyond the LOS.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You would think a man with his speed and quickness would be used more over the deep middle part of the field
Fixed it for ya Jake!!!!
Put his ass in the slot...let him work in the seams....

Full disclaimer I had nothing to do with this article!
I was thinking of you ole school when I saw this:)

BTW, you got any powerball numbers on yer mind?:mrburnsevil:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Austin>>>>>Harvin. And he disappears from games? I can't remember the last time I watched a game and didn't notice Tavon. Maybe 2014. But 2015 he was making plays week in and week out. If he can do every year, what he did last year, worth the pick. Most first round picks end up being not worth it. I'll take his 1000+ total yards and 10 TDs any year.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Why don't we beat up on Brian Quick this week instead?
ROD whack-a-mole.
Better yet, lets take aim at Snisher for "over drafting" them both?? Snead gets a pass on here for the most part and I don't think he is the mastermind some think he is.

/ Flamesuit on