Tavon Austin gets ranked in the top-10 most overrated players list

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Austin overrated or underrated?

• Total voters

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The answer to your question is yes. It doesn't matter where Tavon would be drafted in 2011. He was drafted in 2013. They wanted him. They knew he wouldn't get to their pick because the draft sucked. They traded up to get him.

Why trade up at all? They valued him over the players they thought would be available. I doubt Fisher and Snead believed for a second that Tavon was on Julio's level as a prospect. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Ok a y then let's say Tory's level. Nope he isn't even on his level. Yes they thought he could be and yes they thought there was a chance e he could be on Julio's level,only in a different way. If Tavon's college game translated seamlessly to the NFL then he would out produce Julio. But, it doesn't and some of us figured as much. Fisher even tried to change to a spread to make it happen. To be clear, I am comparing impact, not apples and oranges. Right now Tavon is falling short of his draft value.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They thought they were moving up for a very productive WR.
They said at the time, they were moving up to get a special player that can do a lot of things to help the team. Remember - this is a kid that also rushed for 300+ in a game against powerhouse Oklahoma. I remember them talking about his versatility and play making abilities. Did they expect more receiving yards out of him at the time? Likely. But by everything they were saying, they were not thinking they were drafting a Julio or Hopkins or even a Patterson type player. They were drafting him for all the things he was able to do and being a #1 receiver wasn't it.

Again though. 26 teams passed on Hopkins. No one in the entire NFL valued him over TA. It happens each and every year that a player far exceeds his draft status. Sometimes fans peg that player but more times than not they are doing so with more luck than knowledge on their side.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why trade up at all? They valued him over the players they thought would be available. I doubt Fisher and Snead believed for a second that Tavon was on Julio's level as a prospect. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Exactly. In a draft that weak, why wouldn't you trade up to get the player you thought was the impact player in the draft. It wasn't just Fisher and Snead that viewed TA as the most explosive player in that draft. It wasn't as if they traded future picks. And I totally agree. I don't think there was a single person saying TA was a Julio Jones/Torry Holt type receiver. That is complete fiction.

Regardless, we have TA. He's a very good player. Many teams have done far worse with their draft day trades. And time will tell if given a decent offense to play in, if TA ramps up along with it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are you talking about with Hopkins? His QBs in Houston suck too. And you don't pass on a WR because you have no QB to throw to him. Why did they draft Tavon if that was the case?

If the Rams moved up to number 8 for a receiver then they thought he was worth and I am sure they hoped he would produce as well as Julio. If they thought Tavonwould be a league average receiver, then they wouldn't have moved up to get him. They were wowed by his workout they felt they had to have him and thought he could do what he did in college with the Rams. There is no other reason to move up.

You best be crossing your fingers that Tavon can produce like they want him to because when his contract is up they are going to have to buck up to keep him.

They were wowed by his game tape and they moved up to get a playmaker, not a bona-fide wr. They never said they've got their wr1 after they picked tavon. If you think they thought they were getting anything close to Julio you have rocks in your head.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They were wowed by his game tape and they moved up to get a playmaker, not a bona-fide wr. They never said they've got their wr1 after they picked tavon. If you think they thought they were getting anything close to Julio you have rocks in your head.

Quick to the insults as usual. They moved up for a playmaker. They moved up to Julio range, so in theory you are hoping for an equivalent impact player. They gave up two picks to get him. They thought he would be a player that teams game plan around. Why are you arguing this point? Again do you think they moved up to pick him because they thought he would be average? Like he is?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They said at the time, they were moving up to get a special player that can do a lot of things to help the team. Remember - this is a kid that also rushed for 300+ in a game against powerhouse Oklahoma. I remember them talking about his versatility and play making abilities. Did they expect more receiving yards out of him at the time? Likely. But by everything they were saying, they were not thinking they were drafting a Julio or Hopkins or even a Patterson type player. They were drafting him for all the things he was able to do and being a #1 receiver wasn't it.

Again though. 26 teams passed on Hopkins. No one in the entire NFL valued him over TA. It happens each and every year that a player far exceeds his draft status. Sometimes fans peg that player but more times than not they are doing so with more luck than knowledge on their side.

No, it is just common sense. Look at the history of the NFL and see how many 5-9 170 lb players excelled. Tavon is small. Tavon's game doesn't translate that well and now they are still focused on how to tailor the offense to get him in space, after 3 years. Ike shined his first year, so did Holt and nobody had to try to scheme them open. I liked Hopkins and Hopkins was a dominant player in college too. I thought the low rating was way off and I hated giving up a high pick to move up for Tavon. You can call it luck if you want. I call it an educated deduction.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok a y then let's say Tory's level. Nope he isn't even on his level. Yes they thought he could be and yes they thought there was a chance e he could be on Julio's level,only in a different way. If Tavon's college game translated seamlessly to the NFL then he would out produce Julio. But, it doesn't and some of us figured as much. Fisher even tried to change to a spread to make it happen. To be clear, I am comparing impact, not apples and oranges. Right now Tavon is falling short of his draft value.

You're comparing apples to oranges. You're trying to equate draft value in arguably the weakest draft of the past 10-20 years with draft value in arguably the strongest draft of the past 10-20 years.

Tavon wasn't Holt or Jones. He was a playmaker in a bad draft. I think this quote speaks volumes:
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_19f763c0-2114-53de-a9d3-25834411ab8c.html
As the Rams worked the phones and worked their scenarios, they realized that players they liked such as Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, Alabama offensive guard D.J. Fluker, and Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro wouldn’t be there at 16. They were in kind of a no man’s land, so why not trade up?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, it is just common sense. Look at the history of the NFL and see how many 5-9 170 lb players excelled. Tavon is small. Tavon's game doesn't translate that well and now they are still focused on how to tailor the offense to get him in space, after 3 years. Ike shined his first year, so did Holt and nobody had to try to scheme them open. I liked Hopkins and Hopkins was a dominant player in college too. I thought the low rating was way off and I hated giving up a high pick to move up for Tavon. You can call it luck if you want. I call it an educated deduction.

Isaac Bruce had 272 receiving yards as a rookie. He busted out with one of the best years ever as a second year pro.

But Tavon isn't Bruce or Holt. He doesn't have the natural feel for route running that they did. Wish he did. Because he'd be deadly with his quickness. Either ways, with a talented QB, the Rams can find plenty of ways to make use of him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're comparing apples to oranges. You're trying to equate draft value in arguably the weakest draft of the past 10-20 years with draft value in arguably the strongest draft of the past 10-20 years.

Tavon wasn't Holt or Jones. He was a playmaker in a bad draft. I think this quote speaks volumes:
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_19f763c0-2114-53de-a9d3-25834411ab8c.html

Or why not trade back and take Hopkins?

The real problem here is that some people can't read my opinion of Tavon without getting their hackles up. You and I went back and forth on him prior to that draft, over at RRF. I never thought he could get anywhere near his college production in the NFL and you thought he was going to be great. Now you are saying he is not a wide receiver but when I used to compare him to Dexter McCluster, you said Dexter is a RB and Tavon is a WR.

It doesn't matter. I still root for him, but any time a player is taken high in the draft and doesn't match his expected production there will be divisionbetween those that loved the pick and those that didn't.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm loving the back and forth, the comments of 2 I really respect....and then I see this....
300+ in a game against powerhouse Oklahoma.
You can't sneak a Big12 defensive praise by me 503.....I haven't seen a dominant Big12 defense...maybe that Nebraska team 5-6 years ago, the original black shirts...but no big 12 dominant defensive teams since the '80's ....so just stop it mister....
Elm & Jrry, please proceed.....

lockdnram21

Legend
But think of all the tds he got called back because of holding. Or lack of Qb.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick to the insults as usual. They moved up for a playmaker. They moved up to Julio range, so in theory you are hoping for an equivalent impact player. They gave up two picks to get him. They thought he would be a player that teams game plan around. Why are you arguing this point? Again do you think they moved up to pick him because they thought he would be average? Like he is?

As usual?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or why not trade back and take Hopkins?

Because the Rams didn't value him. If they thought he'd be great, they would have drafted him. Why didn't the Rams just take Russell Wilson in the 2nd round in 2012 instead of Pead?

The real problem here is that some people can't read my opinion of Tavon without getting their hackles up. You and I went back and forth on him prior to that draft, over at RRF. I never thought he could get anywhere near his college production in the NFL and you thought he was going to be great. Now you are saying he is not a wide receiver but when I used to compare him to Dexter McCluster, you said Dexter is a RB and Tavon is a WR.

It doesn't matter. I still root for him, but any time a player is taken high in the draft and doesn't match his expected production there will be divisionbetween those that loved the pick and those that didn't.

Nobody is upset. I responded to a comment of yours with facts and my opinion. You've taken an illogical stance. If you want to argue that Hopkins should have been the guy, I won't disagree. But I will not agree with your stance that the Rams thought they were getting Julio Jones because of where they took Tavon. The drafts were too different.

And no, I'm not saying he's not a WR. That's a massive leap of logic from what I said. I'm saying that he's not the natural WR that Bruce and Holt were. He's certainly better than Dexter McCluster. And Dexter is a HB.

Yep, I thought he'd be great. He hasn't been. You win some, you lose some.

jap

Legend
Tavon (after rushing for 500 yards, picking up 1000 receiving yards, and 500 punt return yards in 2016): "Over rate this, suckers!!!!" :party::football::wow::pillowfight::snicker::rockon:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm loving the back and forth, the comments of 2 I really respect....and then I see this.... You can't sneak a Big12 defensive praise by me 503.....I haven't seen a dominant Big12 defense...maybe that Nebraska team 5-6 years ago, the original black shirts...but no big 12 dominant defensive teams since the '80's ....so just stop it mister....
Elm & Jrry, please proceed.....
Cute.

Oklahoma may not have had a dominant defense but any team that begins the year at #1 has at least a decent defense. It's true the Big 12 hasn't been exactly a defensive juggernaut over pretty much the last decade but TA gained almost as many yards on the ground as the Sooners were giving up in total offense. The point was and is that he has always been viewed as a play maker - not a #1 type, or slot, or #2 receiver. That is not what the Rams were moving up in the draft to get.

And BTW - it was worth a try.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Cute.

Oklahoma may not have had a dominant defense but any team that begins the year at #1 has at least a decent defense. It's true the Big 12 hasn't been exactly a defensive juggernaut over pretty much the last decade but TA gained almost as many yards on the ground as the Sooners were giving up in total offense. The point was and is that he has always been viewed as a play maker - not a #1 type, or slot, or #2 receiver. That is not what the Rams were moving up in the draft to get.

And BTW - it was worth a try.

OU's defenses are OK. Its hard to get a gauge on them b/c they are so good, that garbage time TDs they allow skew perception. But, Brent Venebles was heavily criticized (weekly, even if the team won) and got fired at the end of 2011. Bob's brother Mike replaced him the year WV went crazy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'll just say this. Every team that we play has to game plan for him. Every team we play talks about him, and fears him. Teams punt away from him. He scored 9 TD's.

The Todd Gurley interview he added about his yards.My team mates helped me. Especially Tavon doing his thing moving around in the backfield.

--At what point is he overrated ?? He is a ascending player who is going to get paid.His next 4 seasons are going to be his best,baring injuries.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
OU's defenses are OK. Its hard to get a gauge on them b/c they are so good, that garbage time TDs they allow skew perception. But, Brent Venebles was heavily criticized (weekly, even if the team won) and got fired at the end of 2011. Bob's brother Mike replaced him the year WV went crazy.
Mike was going to coach with his brother anyway after time in Arizona.He just a raise to keep him as well.Making 900,000 a yr.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Hard to thrive with the past years OL's and especially the OC's.