Tavon Austin gets ranked in the top-10 most overrated players list

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Austin overrated or underrated?

• Total voters

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't believe that are buying that crap. They could have stood on the pick and gotten Hopkins. Instead they move up to 8 and take Tavon with two picks. The Falcons moved up to 6 for Jones. The point was if you move that far up you expect more production regardless of the depth of the draft. Do you actually think that Fisher and Snead said, during the draft that, "this draft sucks so trading to 8 for a player is like getting 15th in another draft? That is ludicrous. They thought they were moving up for a very productive WR. Tory Holt was a 6th pick too. So far Tavons receiving skills aren't anywhere near Holt, Jones, or Hopkins. I clearly wasn't a fan of the move up to pick him. But, I will be happy if he proves me wrong.

They didn't draft up to #8 thinking they were getting anything close to Julio. They needed a playmaker and tavon was the best in the draft. If they wanted him they had to get in front of the jets so they traded up. I didn't like the trade but i loved the player and still do, so I'm happy with how it ended up.

And what was Hopkins gonna do with the crappy rams qbs? Britt gets wide open all the time and regularly watches the ball get intercepted or land nowhere near him. Sure Hopkins would win more contested balls then Britt but i doubt he would have made much of a larger impact.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
They didn't draft up to #8 thinking they were getting anything close to Julio. They needed a playmaker and tavon was the best in the draft. If they wanted him they had to get in front of the jets so they traded up. I didn't like the trade but i loved the player and still do, so I'm happy with how it ended up.

And what was Hopkins gonna do with the crappy rams qbs? Britt gets wide open all the time and regularly watches the ball get intercepted or land nowhere near him. Sure Hopkins would win more contested balls then Britt but i doubt he would have made much of a larger impact.

I've read this now for the last 3 years or so and it still doesn't make any sense to me. First of all does anybody really think that a defensive oriented coach like Rex Reed would pass on a complete stud like Sheldon Richardson to draft a pint sized dude like TA? I sure don't.....

To me it is a total myth that the Jets were going to take Austin so the Rams had to trade up to get him. I really think this is just a lot of smoke being blown by Snead and Fish to cover their tracks.

Obviously I could be wrong but I doubt it. Just doesn't pass the smell test, imo.

~ArkyRamsFan~

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Even in college football in a gimicky system. I'm sure any coach takes notice when a player puts up over 500 all purpose yards in one football game.

He may be small but the guy is an absolute playmaker. I respect him a lot for his hard work to improve.

His size is a limit for him. I mean imagine if he was a little bit taller and had some weight on his frame. He probably never would have ended up at receiver but would be one of the best running backs around.

The guy was a running back in high school. He is young as a receiver. Continually improving. I'm excited to see what ideas Groh gives to our offense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've read this now for the last 3 years or so and it still doesn't make any sense to me. First of all does anybody really think that a defensive oriented coach like Rex Reed would pass on a complete stud like Sheldon Richardson to draft a pint sized dude like TA? I sure don't.....

To me it is a total myth that the Jets were going to take Austin so the Rams had to trade up to get him. I really think this is just a lot of smoke being blown by Snead and Fish to cover their tracks.

Obviously I could be wrong but I doubt it. Just doesn't pass the smell test, imo.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Remember, the jets had 2 picks around the #10 slot. It may have been a smokescreen but everybody thought they were taking tavon with one of the picks. Can't blame the Rams for going and getting the guy they wanted. Can blame them for doing it and not having a plan in place for him. They're getting there now. Hopefully goff allows him to get a ton of yac.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I was thinking about 40 times earlier today and I decided to find the answer to one question.

How long does a QB have to throw it?

I looked that up and realized that none of these guys can run 40 yards before the ball has to be thrown.

While Tavon has size concerns that limit him for being the go to guy in need to situations. . . I think Tavon may be the fastest, quickest, visually aware player within small distances. 10 yards, 5 yards, 3 yards, how low can we go?

A number one receiver? No he is not. But a top playmaker in the league? Yes he is.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
All the opinions change when he gets 80 receptions for 800 yards with 11 TDs and rushes for 400 more and a couple more TDs and a couple more return TDs to boot. Then, all of a sudden, he will be the talk of the town at the Pro Bowl.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Here's the list btw, courtesy of Fox sports:

10. Matt Kalil OT Minnesota
9. Carlos Hyde RB San Fran
8. Randall Cobb WR Green Bay
7. Jeremy Hill RB Cincinnati
6. Tavon Austin WR Rams
5. Justin Forsett RB Baltimore
4. Michael Floyd WR Arizona
3. Joe Flacco QB Baltimore
2. TY Hilton WR Indianapolis
1. DeMarco Murray RB Tennessee

Yeah, now i don't mind Tavon being on this silly list with some pretty good football players on it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

What are you talking about with Hopkins? His QBs in Houston suck too. And you don't pass on a WR because you have no QB to throw to him. Why did they draft Tavon if that was the case?

If the Rams moved up to number 8 for a receiver then they thought he was worth and I am sure they hoped he would produce as well as Julio. If they thought Tavonwould be a league average receiver, then they wouldn't have moved up to get him. They were wowed by his workout they felt they had to have him and thought he could do what he did in college with the Rams. There is no other reason to move up.

You best be crossing your fingers that Tavon can produce like they want him to because when his contract is up they are going to have to buck up to keep him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Nobody was clamoring for DOO DOO Hopkins going into that draft.

My hindsight says I'm fucking stoked we traded up for TA. He's a stud playmaker and we're very fortunate to have him in Horns.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think he's rated just fine! I hope he's under-rated by the rest of the League, but I doubt it!!;)

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve

My hindsight says I'm freaking stoked we traded up for TA. He's a stud playmaker and we're very fortunate to have him in Horns.

And I will add to this.... ;) while it is true Austin cannot do what Jones and Hopkins can do it is also true that neither of them can do what Austin can do..... and not very many can, in the league as a whole....in a nut shell....there are probably 15 to 25 receivers that can be argued that are pure no.1 receivers or fit into that box that no. 1 wideouts are supposed to be able to do..... in Austin's case there are maybe 2 to 3 that can affect the game in as many different ways as he can..... just my 2 cents again. Lol

Go Rams........... ;)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

6. Tavon Austin WR Rams

Yeah, now i don't mind Tavon being on this silly list with some pretty good football players on it.

Exactly, that isn't a bad list at all. I thought overrated meant players that are thought to be so damn good and talked about like the second comings. These guys aren't that. Joe Flacco tossing to the ball to TY Hilton, Tavon Austin, Michael Floyd with Jeremey Hill and Justin Forsett in the back while Matt Kalil runs people over? C'mon now.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that Austin is overrated, especially considering that they moved up to pick him, over Hopkins. 8th overall is nearly Julio territory. You move up that far to get Julio production, or even Hopkins production. And how do we know that he is misused? He wasn't a polished receiver in college and the development of his route running while in the NFL, has been slow. Maybe their is a way to use Austin, and Rams coaching is just figuring that out but, stars shine on their own. If someone is really good it is not hard to see despite the team they are on.

This is most likely a prove it year for him and the Rams. His contract will be up and some other coach will be convinced that he can get more out of Tavon than the Rams did, and offer him more than the Rams want to pay.

Yep agree with everything written here.

Tavon is a good player but as it stands now, we overrate him a tad. He will need to really step up this year as a WR.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

My hindsight says I'm freaking stoked we traded up for TA. He's a stud playmaker and we're very fortunate to have him in Horns.

I wanted Hopkins. couldn't understand why he was rated as low as he was. But as usual I just accepted it as fact. Once again the pros were wrong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yep agree with everything written here.

Tavon is a good player but as it stands now, we overrate him a tad. He will need to really step up this year as a WR.

A good example of a star shining despite the team he is on is Isaac Bruce. The Rams drafted him in round 2 back in I think 95' or 96'. He was instantly the best player on the field and became my favorite Ram in one season. They didn't have to do anything special to make his game fit either. He was just great from the get go.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
A good example of a star shining despite the team he is on is Isaac Bruce. The Rams drafted him in round 2 back in I think 95' or 96'. He was instantly the best player on the field and became my favorite Ram in one season. They didn't have to do anything special to make his game fit either. He was just great from the get go.
Drafted in '94. Isaac Bruce was the last Los Angeles Ram.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.

6. Tavon Austin WR Rams

Exactly. Now that I see the list... What's the problem. OP should have included the list.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In a different draft. Julio would have went top 3 in that draft, if not #1. Let's compare Julio's draft to Tavon's draft:
Julio
1. Cam Newton
2. Von Miller
3. Marcel Dareus
4. A.J. Green
5. Patrick Peterson
6. Julio Jones
7. Aldon Smith
8. Jake Locker
9. Tyron Smith
10. Blaine Gabbert
11. J.J. Watt
12. Christian Ponder
13. Nick Fairley
14. Robert Quinn
15. Mike Pouncey

Tavon
1. Eric Fisher
2. Luke Joeckel
3. Dion Jordan
4. Lane Johnson
5. Ezekiel Ansah
6. Barkevious Mingo
7. Jonathan Cooper
8. Tavon Austin
9. Dee Milliner
10. Chance Warmack
11. D.J. Fluker
12. D.J. Hayden
13. Sheldon Richardson
14. Star Lotulelei
15. Kenny Vaccaro

Yea, it's not really comparable. Those are two very different drafts. You have 2011 where every single non-QB drafted in the top 15 except Nick Fairley has gone to a Pro Bowl. You have 2013 where 10 or more out of the top 15 players are disappointments/busts.

Shit that was a thin draft up top, and looking at it from this angle they might be smarter than what people give them credit for.

Let's keep in mind it wasn't a secret that Austin wasn't your typical WR, he was a swiss army knife in college, that's what they drafted. They knew what he was.........who didn't?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Can't blame the Rams for going and getting the guy they wanted.

This will be Snead's legacy, he gets his man. He's moved all over the board so many times and the latest with Goff sealed the deal IMO. Snead is fearless and he is willing to "do the deal".

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Fisher and Snead traded up to 8th overall for a player that they knew would never come close to Julio Jones production? That makes no sense. They thought they were getting a future playmaker that would be a difference maker for them. They didn't think, well this draft sucks but we need a WR so let's trade up for a WR that would be a 16th overall pick in the 2011 draft. They were wowed by his athleticism and body control and thought he would become a great receiver, otherwise why trade up at all.

The answer to your question is yes. It doesn't matter where Tavon would be drafted in 2011. He was drafted in 2013. They wanted him. They knew he wouldn't get to their pick because the draft sucked. They traded up to get him.

Why trade up at all? They valued him over the players they thought would be available. I doubt Fisher and Snead believed for a second that Tavon was on Julio's level as a prospect. You're comparing apples to oranges.

I can't believe that are buying that crap. They could have stood on the pick and gotten Hopkins. Instead they move up to 8 and take Tavon with two picks. The Falcons moved up to 6 for Jones. The point was if you move that far up you expect more production regardless of the depth of the draft. Do you actually think that Fisher and Snead said, during the draft that, "this draft sucks so trading to 8 for a player is like getting 15th in another draft? That is ludicrous. They thought they were moving up for a very productive WR. Tory Holt was a 6th pick too. So far Tavons receiving skills aren't anywhere near Holt, Jones, or Hopkins. I clearly wasn't a fan of the move up to pick him. But, I will be happy if he proves me wrong.

Why draft Hopkins in the first when they could have gotten Keenan Allen in the third? The Rams didn't rate Hopkins as highly as you did. That's why they didn't stand pat and take him. You got it right. They got it wrong.

But yes, I do recall the Rams saying something along the lines of: "We're glad we traded up because we didn't like anyone who was available when we were slated to pick" after the Austin selection.

They traded up for a talented playmaker. But that doesn't mean they thought they were getting Torry Holt, Julio Jones, etc. That was an abnormally bad draft. The Dolphins traded up from #12 to #3 for only a 2nd round pick. That's how bad the draft stunk.