Tavon Austin Almost Out of Chances in L.A. –Video

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If it comes down to

1) keeping Austin at his projected 2018 salary and letting Watkins walk; or
2) cutting Austin and using his money to keep Watkins

... then give me door #2 please.

Watkins is a proven WR, Tavon is not. And by losing his punt return job, he just lost a big portion of the justification for keeping him.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
We all know Austin has not performed this season, I think he cost us the game last week.

He scored our lone touchdown. How'd he cost us the game?

It baffles me how Tavon isn't used at all in the passing game. He's proven in the past that he can be a viable deep threat.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Off punt-return duty for good
now, now Den....there's a chance he'll get back there again...a chance...wouldn't be surprised if it's soon rather than later....
We all know Austin has not performed this season, I think he cost us the game last week.
Cost us the game???? Naw...terrible fumble...but one of a few mistakes that ultimately cost us the victory...

James Otto

Starter
Or maybe Tavon isn't being used in the passing game much because his wrist still hurts pretty bad???

May explain why a punt returner that has never really had a problem with catching punts is suddenly letting them bounce off his chest?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
He scored our lone touchdown. How'd he cost us the game?
My thinking is that we have some players that could have scored as well as we were down inside the 20.

But the Sea Hags had an awful short field after that Tavon fumble to score their touchdown.

That said?
Yes, there were a few players and plays that could have lost that game or won it.

James Otto

Starter
My thinking is that we have some players that could have scored as well as we were down inside the 20.

But the Sea Hags had an awful short field after that Tavon fumble to score their touchdown.

That said?
Yes, there were a few players and plays that could have lost that game or won it.

What are you talking about? John Johnson ended that drive with an interception. SEA got no points off of Tavon's muff.

jap

Legend
Or maybe Tavon isn't being used in the passing game much because his wrist still hurts pretty bad???

May explain why a punt returner that has never really had a problem with catching punts is suddenly letting them bounce off his chest?

Tavon was never a fumble or muff concern until this season. And the only thing that has changed was the off season wrist injury and subsequent surgery. When he puts the ball away after taking it---via handoff, reception, or catching punts---he appears to be fine. It's the initial impetus of the falling, accelerating ball that gives him problems. I don't know if a brace for his wrist would help or not. He may simply need to rest that wrist some more.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May explain why a punt returner that has never really had a problem with catching punts
2013: 3
2014: 5
2015: 2
2016: 3
2017: 4
Total: 17

I compared him to Hakim in another thread and he's a fair amount worse.

I'd say he does have a problem catching punts.
;)

…..

Legend
It baffles me how Tavon isn't used at all in the passing game. He's proven in the past that he can be a viable deep threat.

wait........what? where did that come from? He had a 65 yard TD as a rookie 5 years ago. I guess that applies. For that game.

been trying to prove Tavon is a viable receiver for the last 4+ years now. There are 12 receiving TD's in the 64 games he's played. Thats 1.5 touchdowns per half season. ONE....point five.

you're really "baffled"?

Ram65

Legend

That said?

The Hags did not score after the Tavon fumbe. JJ intercepted Wilson after the fumble.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x033mvxXBEk

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000858423/John-Johnson-picks-off-Russell-Wilson-for-first-career-interception

Back to reality, it was Gurley's fumble was the real killer along with the JZ miss, the screen pass INT and some others.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
you're really "baffled"?

Yeah, that's what I typed. It wasn't a hyperbole.

Tavon had a great career, as a receiver, in college. He had success in his rookie year, displaying the ability to get open and to take a short pass for a long gain. I mean, I specifically remember him against the Cardinals a few years ago, splitting the safeties on a post route for a long TD. My point is he's shown himself to be a weapon, and he's shown the talent is there. It may need to be refined, and perhaps he hasn't grasped the new offense quite yet, but I believe it's there.

I don't think it's fair to put his lack of production under Fisher on Tavon. How many God damn bubble screens did Cignetti/Boras call? Even when teams were keying in on them?

If you're going go use the last four years to criticize Tavon, you can criticize every other player on offense that was a part of it, too. And as Goff and Gurley have shown, that's straight BS.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's fair to put his lack of production under Fisher on Tavon. How many God damn bubble screens did Cignetti/Boras call? Even when teams were keying in on them?

If you're going go use the last four years to criticize Tavon, you can criticize every other player on offense that was a part of it, too. And as Goff and Gurley have shown, that's straight BS.

And that's fair, IMO.

But explain to me why he is barely being used as a receiver under coaches that do know offense?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Tavon was never a fumble or muff concern until this season. And the only thing that has changed was the off season wrist injury and subsequent surgery. When he puts the ball away after taking it---via handoff, reception, or catching punts---he appears to be fine. It's the initial impetus of the falling, accelerating ball that gives him problems. I don't know if a brace for his wrist would help or not. He may simply need to rest that wrist some more.

TA has Fumbled 21 times since his arrival.

…..

Legend

I mis spoke. He had an 81 yard TD as a rookie, His 65 yarder was a rushing attempt, my bad.

Sorry bro, not really criticizing Tavon. I try not to criticize any of our players as a rule because I know tomorrow is another day and I'm a hopeful kinda guy.

Perhaps something will shake out this year but you don't typically hear "viable deep threat" when people describe Tavon Austin. He tends to get jammed up easily at the LOS and thrown off his route....so you gotta try to get him loose with some other way. Thats why he catches alot of 3 yard passes. Because his route tree is limited to that.

Ram65

Legend
I think Tavon can go deep but, Goff might not see him. I'm surprised they have not tried it with Watkins going deep on the opposite side or clearing out the safety on a post running from the same side.

Letting Tavon go next year is no big deal. Might get a pick for him in a trade. Rams eat 5 Million Roster Bonus and save 3 Million salary.

Until that time they should continue to use him on the Jet Sweeps (Ghosts and Real ones). A change of pace couple runs to give Gurley a rest. What the heck send him deep too as I stated before.

Still early on Watkins. Right now I wouldn't know how to value him in a new contract.

Are the Rams going to pay him good money to be a decoy and not throw to him?

That would be funny because then we could continue the same topic with a different player.:yay:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Really? I didn't realize it was that many!

Because he only lost 7. Either by falling on it, a teammate recovering it, etc.

It's obvious this year that he's struggled more in PR, and I'm not gonna try to explain it. Either you catch it or not.

BUT, I'm in favor of him being involved in the offense more now though. And it's not like Sammy Watkins has been a world beater so far. It's been the Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Tyler Higbee show so far.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
TA lost the #1 wide out post to Sammy Watkins
TA lost the #2 WR spot to Robert Woods.
TA lost the slot receiver post to Rookie Cooper Kupp
TA lost the $4 WR spot to Pharoh Cooper
TA is not in contention for the Red/End Zone receiver spot over Rookie Josh Reynolds
TA is now playing behind Todd Gurley & Malcolm Brown @ RB.

If I had McVay's ear I would tell him forget about spending your priceless little time on trying to figure out what to do with Tavon Austin but turn all your attention towards the real deal Sammy Watkins. That would keeping the main thing the main thing. We need to get Sammy Watkins in full smooth operational mode ASAP!

The Rams are in outstanding shape into the future with these 3 key offensive units. Most all of the 15 minus one are under contract or have ties to a contract with this Rams team. The only one not tied to this Rams team is Sammy Watkins. I would quickly move on from TA by trade or tied to other players to ensure I clear the way to secure Sammy Watkins even if it only for a couple of season. Looking into the future of this Rams entire 2018 receiving unit I would hope that it would look close to this:

Wide Outs
#1-Sammy Wakins (new 4 yr deal contract)
#2-Robert woods (second WR)
#3-Cooper Kupp (Slot)
#4-Josh Reynolds
#5-Mike Thomas
#6- Pharoh Cooper (reserve slot)
#7-Paul Mc Roberts

TE's
#1-Gerald Everett
#2-Tyler Higbee
#3-Temarrick Hemingway
#4-Johnny Mundt

RB/FB
Todd Gurley
Malcom Brown
Austin Davis
Sam Rogers
Lance Dunbar
Lenard Tillery

In conclusion it would be a big mistake to plan to move on from Sammy Watkins so soon at this time....this is just me saying this. Replacing a deep threat like Sammy is near impossible for this team.

Ellard80

Legend
People have a hard time facing the reality of Tavon.... It's because he has so much speed and he gets peoples imaginations going (and they bought his jersey?)

Tavon has super speed... however...

1. he is tiny and a small target.. hard to hit.
2 (this is the worse one) he has the hands like that of an average running back... He.cant.catch.the.football.
3. He occasionally can bust a punt return which gave him some value... however I have always thought his vision on punt returns is poor. he dances and runs backwards a lot.
4. Now he can't even catch punts.

So... maybe a 3rd down rb? A viable WR.... not ever.