Tavon Austin Almost Out of Chances in L.A. –Video

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
And that's fair, IMO.

But explain to me why he is barely being used as a receiver under coaches that do know offense?

Yeah, I wish I knew. That's why I'm baffled.

He tends to get jammed up easily at the LOS and thrown off his route....so you gotta try to get him loose with some other way.

We run pick routes seemingly every other passing down.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He scored our lone touchdown. How'd he cost us the game?

It baffles me how Tavon isn't used at all in the passing game. He's proven in the past that he can be a viable deep threat.
He dropped a punt at the worst time, he isn't used in the passing game because he can't seem to learn how to separate from defenders. I love Tavon but woods and kupp fit this team alot better.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We all know Austin has not performed this season, I think he cost us the game last week. BUT he is still a huge decoy to opposing defenses, they all know he can turn the game with 1 play.
That said he is getting paid way too much to be a decoy, but who would want him ? If mcvay can't get him to run better routes and create separation, who can ?

How did he cost us the game? He's the only one who scored ...
Yes he fumbled, but the other 4 fumbles were the reason we lost.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Ive been down on Austin for some time now. Hes for sure still an asset in the run game. Lets hold on to him and try trade him in the offseason or release him. Im ready to move on from him now...he has been a flop as a WR, performed decent as a change of pace back, and was recently benched as our starting punt returner IN HIS 5TH FUCKIN SEASON with us...all the while being paid like a top 5 WR...

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
He scored our lone touchdown. How'd he cost us the game?

It baffles me how Tavon isn't used at all in the passing game. He's proven in the past that he can be a viable deep threat.

Lol...proven deep threat? How do you figure? He has a career average of 8.9 yards per catch...

Stump23

Rookie
You know......I got that vibe last game. It seemed odd to me that Austin got so many touches. Here I was, minding my own business, Habenero BBQ sauce all up in my goatee, birthday numbers hitting for decent jack on keno, an ice cold Yuengling soothing my burning tongue , and I thought to myself....."hmmm Gurley on the bench and Austin taking handoffs, in the 2nd half.,......"Wait....WTF?.....Has Tavon fooled another coaching staff????"

Hhaaha....I'm not THAT down on Tavon....but I did actually think that!
Yuengling........wish we could get that here in Cali

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Yeah, that's what I typed. It wasn't a hyperbole.

Tavon had a great career, as a receiver, in college. He had success in his rookie year, displaying the ability to get open and to take a short pass for a long gain. I mean, I specifically remember him against the Cardinals a few years ago, splitting the safeties on a post route for a long TD. My point is he's shown himself to be a weapon, and he's shown the talent is there. It may need to be refined, and perhaps he hasn't grasped the new offense quite yet, but I believe it's there.

I don't think it's fair to put his lack of production under Fisher on Tavon. How many God damn bubble screens did Cignetti/Boras call? Even when teams were keying in on them?

If you're going go use the last four years to criticize Tavon, you can criticize every other player on offense that was a part of it, too. And as Goff and Gurley have shown, that's straight BS.

Nope...Britt had a career year (over 1000 yards receiving) in our "middle school" offense last season..while Tavon had another underwhelming season for the 4th year in a row...The offense is on pace to have its best season in recent memory under McVay...Tavon under McVay so far has 5 catches for 19 yards and was just benched as our starting punt returner...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point I really think mcvay and co are trying hard to shop tavon ... getting some production on tape for the 31 other teams... and tayvon is refusing to play ball (literally) ...

His value is with the ball in hands in space .. key phrase there? Ball in hand .. he has lost at least 75-80% of his value if he isn’t regurning kicks or punts .. the only way he sniffs the field is on a jet sweep as a runner or a decoy and for someone of his pay grade and “reputation” That’s just not good enough

In before the “money crowd” chime up I don’t care how much he earns or wether he is overpaid .. I only care about what he brings to the team and right now other than that. TD run ... is not a lot ... And don’t give me the jet sweep stuff either ... kupp / paroah can run that as decoy or better yet let them run one or two

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
There was one play against Seattle where Goff was throwing to Tavon on a corner route. Tavon rounded off his route so badly it fell incomplete. Tavon does not posses WR cutting ability. That is probably why we don’t see him much in the passing games. I’ll post a gif of it later if I have the chance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My thinking is that we have some players that could have scored as well as we were down inside the 20.
That was a third down, 27 yard run. And I'm not going to argue that TA has had a great season but there aren't many players in the league that could have done that. Not only did he make that look like a 15 yard scamper, but he set ProBowler Cam Chancelor on his heels and then blew right past him. Cam's neck probably still hurts. Sure there was very good blocking but no one could lay a glove on him.

I am down on him for his punt returns and some of his runs when he doesn't have a hole. But when he has a hole or can get the edge, he is ten yards down the field before you can blink.

CVita

UDFA
Name
Chris
At this point I really think mcvay and co are trying hard to shop tavon ... getting some production on tape for the 31 other teams... and tayvon is refusing to play ball (literally) ...

His value is with the ball in hands in space .. key phrase there? Ball in hand .. he has lost at least 75-80% of his value if he isn’t regurning kicks or punts .. the only way he sniffs the field is on a jet sweep as a runner or a decoy and for someone of his pay grade and “reputation” That’s just not good enough

In before the “money crowd” chime up I don’t care how much he earns or wether he is overpaid .. I only care about what he brings to the team and right now other than that. TD run ... is not a lot ... And don’t give me the jet sweep stuff either ... kupp / paroah can run that as decoy or better yet let them run one or two
I always tend to give our players the benefit of the doubt much longer than I think I should. I did that with guys like Cook, Kendricks, Quick, Spruce, and many others over the years. I like Tavon, but I’m getting to the point where, production is more important than potential. If you have to figure out how to use a wide receiver, after seeing what he has put on tape, he may not be a good fit.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
There was one play against Seattle where Goff was throwing to Tavon on a corner route. Tavon rounded off his route so badly it fell incomplete. Tavon does not posses WR cutting ability. That is probably why we don’t see him much in the passing games. I’ll post a gif of it later if I have the chance.
Here
BmuG6ES.gif

BmuG6ES.gifv

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
How did he cost us the game? He's the only one who scored ...
Yes he fumbled, but the other 4 fumbles were the reason we lost.
He fumbled at the worst time and seatle scored right after . He also muffed another one which would of been disastrous.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We all know Austin has not performed this season, I think he cost us the game last week. BUT he is still a huge decoy to opposing defenses, they all know he can turn the game with 1 play.
That said he is getting paid way too much to be a decoy, but who would want him ? If mcvay can't get him to run better routes and create separation, who can ?

He also scored the only TD we had.. so I don't know about cost us the game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's super ugly. He rounded that so ridiculously horrible that the defender was able to notice it and come back to block it. Lol Come on Man!

the defender only reacted after goff threw the ball. still, if tavon had cut his route instead of rounding it he would have been in front of the defender and caught the ball. strange how someone so shifty can't cut on a route.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He fumbled at the worst time and seatle scored right after . He also muffed another one which would of been disastrous.

johnson intercepted the ball right after. should have been 6 the other way but he's slow and quinn forgot to block.

you can't pin the loss on one individual.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

I still didn't hear how he's soley responsible for us losing that game ???
I'm not TA apologists but he wasnt the onpy reason we lost that game. The Rams were playing Fisherball that entire afternoon. That's what gave it away.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TA lost the #1 wide out post to Sammy Watkins
TA lost the #2 WR spot to Robert Woods.
TA lost the slot receiver post to Rookie Cooper Kupp
TA lost the $4 WR spot to Pharoh Cooper
TA is not in contention for the Red/End Zone receiver spot over Rookie Josh Reynolds
TA is now playing behind Todd Gurley & Malcolm Brown @ RB.

Thank you. Truth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

All signs point that way if one is willing to see them. They should have moved him early on, when he had more value. Now that he's failed to be anything other than a poor change of pace RB the market for him can't be good. Still think there might be interest, but offers gonna be lowball.