Talk At Combine About Jake Matthews And Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree. Long is wearing down from all the snaps he's taken. Every players "Clock" ticks differently. Long moving to to RT is a no brainer, he would be dominate. Throwing this out there, if you think Saffold stood out at Guard move Long to LG and watch him flatten defenders at the 2nd level.

I have already posted & mentioned the amount of surgeries & injuries that Jake Long had endured during his 10 yrs of football (College 4yrs & NFL 6yrs). In comparison between Pace & Long cause both have had similar injury histories....Long will have surpassed Pace's injury history by a far margin but Long will be only 29 this season. That right knee reconstruction of all of Long's surgeries will be a hard one to overcome due to being a OLT & that knee is what Long will depend on heavy to drive off, push out & move his large lanky body left to be in position in pass protection. That right knee will not be as big of an issue in his run blocking.

Yes Saffold stood off I do not want my fellow posters to take me wrong here on Saffold...Saffold can be an all pro OLG/ORG if he remains healthy...but another reason that Saffold stood out @ OG IS that fact that the Rams three starting OG's Chris Williams/Shelley Smith & aging Harvey Dahl are very weak OG's. The 33 yr old Dahl is now fragile & feeble. Shelley is puny & is a pure zone blocker. Williams is just forceless, impotent & overall ineffective as a starting OG. So its no wonder that Saffold stood out like Yamahopper said. Rams 2013 OG's were just pathetic without Saffold in the lineup @ OG.

I am sure that Jake Long will do everything possible to ensure his rehabbing event goes as good as possible I would not expect anything less from an all pro like Jake. In truth no one really knows how well Jake will return to 2013 Game 16 starting form. I do find it very strange that many can just throw out that there is no concerns @ OLT where they act as if this damage to his right knee did not happen. The NFL history has large amounts of former NFL players over the last decade that have faded from NFL rosters due to ACL/MCL tears including many OL'ers. I wonder what they remember of our starting QB injury history over the last five yrs where Sam has had only two healthy seasons out of his last five. Jake Mathews is the pick if you do have major concerns early in the 2014 season about Jake Longs right knee readiness.