Talk At Combine About Jake Matthews And Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_of_Old

There was talk a the Combine about Matthews moving in the LT spot and moving Long to the RT. Not sure that would work this late in Jake Long's career...

He could be a beast protecting Sam, though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay now we know Fisher liked T.J. McDonald because of his Dad, well, we all know the story of the Matthews name which might be a better stroy then the Mannings. The question looms who do the Rams like better Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews?

You have an Auburn connection with Les Snead and the fact that Jeff Fisher's son Trent played at Auburn and knows Greg Robinson very well and that is one of the reasons the Rams drafted CB Trumaine Johnson because he played with Assistant DB Coach Fisher's son Brandon at Montana.

So do the Rams go with Matthews and the lineage or Robinson because of more inside information? We'll have to wait until the Month of May!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
There was talk a the Combine about Matthews moving in the LT spot and moving Long to the RT. Not sure that would work this late in Jake Long's career...

Just curious, but do you have a link or source? Be interested to read up on that.

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just curious, but do you have a link or source? Be interested to read up on that.

I am watching it on NFL Network. Matthews is very good, but Robinson just blew it away with a 4.84 40....These are monsters running these times!

Mayock is the one that brought up the Matthews possibility. I think Robinson or Matthews would be super picks.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I am watching it on NFL Network. Matthews is very good, but Robinson just blew it away with a 4.84 40....These are monsters running these times!

Mayock is the one that brought up the Matthews possibility. I think Robinson or Matthews would be super picks.

Okay thank you.. Yea it's one thing if those rumors are circulating among the coaches/scouts at the combine... but it's another if it's a suggestion made by a draft analyst.

Ram_of_Old

Okay thank you.. Yea it's one thing if those rumors are circulating among the coaches/scouts at the combine... but it's another if it's a suggestion made by a draft analyst.

If we can land either Robinson or Matthews...wow. If Jake can come back strong, we could have an all world offensive line. Same could eat dinner and do the dishes back there waiting for a receiver to get open :D

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yea I agree. Can't go wrong with either one, it's just simply who you prefer.. I think because we are such a run-first team, Robinson is gonna have the edge. But the decision, based on talent and relationships, will be tough for Snead and Fish that's for sure.

I think with what we're paying Long he's got to be our LT. Can Barksdale move inside?

Ram_of_Old

I watched them both and I must say, Robinson impressed me more. He remind me of Pace. How can we go wrong with that?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think with what we're paying Long he's got to be our LT. Can Barksdale move inside?

If the Rams were to select a top rookie OLT the combined cost of those three OT's ....Cost will not be out of the norm....Jake Long in college began playing & starting two seasons @ RIGHT OT & was promoted to the OLT post his finale two years. If Jake Long does not return to his 2013 season playing form I see no reason Jake could not play ORT if needed at this stage of his injury plague late career....I don't care how much Jake is paid whatever best for this Ram team. If Jake Long then outplays JB @ ORT then Long starts and JB returns back to swing OT.

Barksdale is a ORT first, then his next best position would be Swing OT & Finally JB's third best OL position would be OLT.......Barksdale is NOT an NFL interior OL'er IMO he has never played OG inside. Being what he is good enough. JB was not even a starter in 2013 until Saffold was hurt. When Saffold returned he & Rodger rotated. The ORT post was not solely JB's until Harvey Dahl was injured & Shelley Smith failed as his replacement when Saffold was inserted@ ORG that was past the mid point of the 2013 season. JB is in his finale year under Ram contact.

If Snead drafts a rookie OLT high you would have the three of the four past Fisher OT's that he has needed the last two seasons. In 2012 Fisher went into the season with Saffold(OLT)-Richardson(ORT) Hunter(swing)& then the 4th OT Joe Barksdale. In 2013 Fisher went with Long(OLT)-Saffold(ORT)-Barksdale (swing) with Chris Williams as the 4th. What does Fisher have for 2014? Long ? (OLT) {injuries ACL/MCL-surgery/pending rehabbing event} Barksdale(ORT) ???? (swing) and ???? as the 4th. The last two seasons Fisher has been forced to use his Swing OT & 4th OT to start many Ram games question currently who does Fisher have now that can fill these needs? Fisher has only One healthy OT of the four required.

Ram_of_Old

Fisher and Snead must be smiling big with their choices...wow...

jap

Legend
Wasn't Jake the best run-blocking NFL tackle last year? Whether we select Matthews or Robinson, Jake could slide to RT immediately or eventually. We could use a Battering Ram OL in front of Sam & Zac so they can do their thing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wasn't Jake the best run-blocking NFL tackle last year? Whether we select Matthews or Robinson, Jake could slide to RT immediately or eventually. We could use a Battering Ram OL in front of Sam & Zac so they can do their thing.
Jake Long may be a better right OT than left OT as the injuries mount on that body.

Jake Mathews may not be the fastest or the biggest or the strongest but he sure has a great flow, foundation & great form! GR physically is so impressive his run blocking for Zac Stacy on the left side would be an exciting thing to watch every Sunday. I was very impressed with everything I saw from Taylor Lewan this morning...he surprised me the most!

iced

Move the experienced LT to RT and allow a fresh rookie to play LT when we had one of the best starting LT's in the league last season?

that doesn't make sense to me - maybe in a year 2 or something, but not his rookie year..

I don't by it

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Move the experienced LT to RT and allow a fresh rookie to play LT when we had one of the best starting LT's in the league last season?

that doesn't make sense to me - maybe in a year 2 or something, but not his rookie year..

I don't by it

I would imagine its just talking NFL sport heads iced I think. I have always been under the impression that one of the great reasons for drafting an outstanding OLT with one of our two first round selections was first #1 to insert this OT prospect into competing with other OL'ers like Brandon Washington or Mike Persons or Barrett Jones for the vacant hole presently @ the OLG post & ORG post his rookie season. The 2nd thought was that this rookie might be able @ the same time fill the vacant swing OT position too, presently the Rams do not have a bonified top Swing relief OT candidate other than Sean Hooey. Thirdly was if there was an issue with Jake Long rehabbing event that kept Jake Long starting the regular season game this rookie OT could slide over a few feet left to man the OLT post until Jake Long was ready. Presently the Rams do not have a OLT relief OL'er.

The only conversation that I have been involved with where under Ram contract Jake Long has been mentioned as a possible Ram starting ORT is when after Joe Barksdale departs @ the end of this upcoming season for UFA where the ORT post is vacant and where if Jake Long were to be "not up to par" to fully continue to perform his OLT duties as it was evident in some 2013 games before he damaged both his ACL & MCL he could be considered & utilized @ the vacant ORT post in 2015. Jake Long has has surgeries @ the end of the 2011,2012 & 2013 seasons. I would not be surprised to see a different performing pass protector OLT in 2014 that what we saw in 2013. Jake Long is another year older 29 when the 2014 season starts, another full NFL season under his belt & two areas of that same right knee damaged one reconstructed by surgery plus yet to be started rehabbing event on both injured ligaments.

Who would play in the vital OLT post of Jake Long was unable to perform it?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

What was the 10 yard split for Robinson? no NFL coach or GM cares about anything past the first 20 yds.
If he went sub 1.70 that's news under 1.65 is real news. What was Matthews split and compare the difference between the two, that is what scouts and coaches will care about.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Long would make an excellent RT. The idea of Saffold and Long lining up side-by-side right does excite me. I'd be happy with any direction that includes a top OT, Watkins (trade down), or Clowney. We can still trade down and get Matthews, though.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I really dont care about the 40 time for Lineman. its really worthless besides gauging there athleticism. Even running a 5.5 wouldnt worry me about a prospect. 10 yard split, that counts a bit at least. As long as the time is descent its all good.

Did anyone watch those drills? No one looked nearly as good as Matthews. When they did the one where they had the cones set up and one would run along the curve of the cones just running to the end of them, and the other would act as the tackle and try to go with them on the other side of the cones while facing them like tackle, Matthews was the only one who actually put his hands on them and kept up with them with ease. In both the RT and LT drill for it. He looked so smooth in every damn drill it was crazy. Thats what impressed me most.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What was the 10 yard split for Robinson? no NFL coach or GM cares about anything past the first 20 yds.
If he went sub 1.70 that's news under 1.65 is real news. what was Matthews split and compare the difference that is what the scouts and coaches will care about.
1.69, and 1.68 outstanding times. Matthews 1.70, also good.