Talk At Combine About Jake Matthews And Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

duckhunter

Starter
I agree with you there. That is what he needs to work on, but he has all the tangibles to do it, and he's only a sophomore. I've said it already, and before the combine, that Matthews is the best OT out there right now.
One's a 4 yr senior and the other a redshirt sophomore but only 8 months separate them in age if that makes any difference.

As always, coaching can be a difference also.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Ok, heres a question for all of you in this debate of Robinson vs. Matthews -

What does Matthews have to learn as compared to Robinson to be a starting Tackle?

I can't think of anything for Matthews, and thats why he is my choice.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was disappointed with Moses too but there were a couple of other guys who looked good. Patchan and Bitonio at T and Su'a flio at G

duckhunter

Starter
I was disappointed with Moses too but there were a couple of other guys who looked good. Patchan and Bitonio at T and Su'a flio at G
Bitonio made some money today. Maybe 3rd rounder now after teams go back and look at his tape.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
One's a 4 yr senior and the other a redshirt sophomore but only 8 months separate them in age if that makes any difference.

As always, coaching can be a difference also.
Experience and coaching are huge, but so are the tangibles and intangibles. To me Robinson's upside is enormous, and Matthews is already very polished. They both helped themselves today, because they both graded out to be MORE athletic than people thought they were. What flavor do you like? Robinson is the best road grater that I have ever seen in college. Matthews is by far the best pass pro guy in this draft, and it's quite amazing that Matthews was on the right side for 3 years, and how seamless he plays on the left.

I'd be happy with either guy, and with a few more, but I envision plugging Robinson in at guard, and him eventually replacing Jake Long, IF we don't move from the #2. I think Robinson would be a better Guard/Tackle, and Matthews is a pure Tackle right now. In a couple of years, and Pro Bowls at Guard, when Long is done, slide him to OLT, of course all the time teaching him the position, and boom. I don't see Lewan playing Guard either, really, but Matthews would be a very effective Guard in my opinion if we took him, but it would seem a bit of a waste to me.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think we all agree we would be happy with either right now. Both would start at guard and eventually move to to tackle. both have there pluses and minuses. Both would be great for this team. Some of us prefer Matthews(like me), some prefer Robinson. There really is now wrong choice. Just personal preference based on what they bring to the table right now.

I am against grabbing a tackle at #2. But if we trade back and gain extra picks, I can understand grabbing one if they are the BPA on Fisheads list.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Are you comparing Robinson or Matthews to Solder?
Absolutely not, Matthews, Lewan and Robinson are the three top prospects for me. I am expressing how impressed I am at Lewans athleticism at that size and thought he may slip into the hands of someone in the 2nd but now believe the cat is out of the bag and he will go high in the first

Last edited:

duckhunter

Starter
Experience and coaching are huge, but so are the tangibles and intangibles. To me Robinson's upside is enormous, and Matthews is already very polished. They both helped themselves today, because they both graded out to be MORE athletic than people thought they were. What flavor do you like? Robinson is the best road grater that I have ever seen in college. Matthews is by far the best pass pro guy in this draft, and it's quite amazing that Matthews was on the right side for 3 years, and how seamless he plays on the left.

I'd be happy with either guy, and with a few more, but I envision plugging Robinson in at guard, and him eventually replacing Jake Long, IF we don't move from the #2. I think Robinson would be a better Guard/Tackle, and Matthews is a pure Tackle right now. In a couple of years, and Pro Bowls at Guard, when Long is done, slide him to OLT, of course all the time teaching him the position, and boom. I don't see Lewan playing Guard either, really, but Matthews would be a very effective Guard in my opinion if we took him, but it would seem a bit of a waste to me.

Well there will be two very good ones before 6 and another about 13 if they go that way. I feel I'm missing something on Robinson where his athleticism, feet and hands don't translate to his pass pro as well as it should. Coaching can take care of that most times.

jjab360

Legend
Absolutely not, Matthews, Lewan and Robinson are the three top prospects for me. I am expressing how impressed I am at his athleticism at that size and thought he may slip into the hands of someone in the 2nd or 3rd but now believe the cat is out of the bag and he will go bottom first through second.
Nate Solder was already drafted... Three years ago by the New England Patriots... Is this one of those Twilight Zone moments?!?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well there will be two very good ones before 6 and another about 13 if they go that way. I feel I'm missing something on Robinson where his athleticism, feet and hands don't translate to his pass pro as well as it should. Coaching can take care of that most times.
I think you are right that he shows the physical ability to mostly get it done and Coach Boudreau is the best in the game so if anyone could teach him it would be Boudreau. How long does it take him to get up to speed? Playing practice every day against Quinn and Long, it might not take too long.

All that being said, Matthews does not need to learn any of that, he's already got it all and Boudreau will be able to help him make it even better.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sorry I keep mixing up Lewan and Solder. My Bad
Yes Lewan does remind me a bit of Solder

Last edited:

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
If the Rams were to select a top rookie OLT the combined cost of those three OT's ....Cost will not be out of the norm....Jake Long in college began playing & starting two seasons @ RIGHT OT & was promoted to the OLT post his finale two years. If Jake Long does not return to his 2013 season playing form I see no reason Jake could not play ORT if needed at this stage of his injury plague late career....I don't care how much Jake is paid whatever best for this Ram team. If Jake Long then outplays JB @ ORT then Long starts and JB returns back to swing OT.

Barksdale is a ORT first, then his next best position would be Swing OT & Finally JB's third best OL position would be OLT.......Barksdale is NOT an NFL interior OL'er IMO he has never played OG inside. Being what he is good enough. JB was not even a starter in 2013 until Saffold was hurt. When Saffold returned he & Rodger rotated. The ORT post was not solely JB's until Harvey Dahl was injured & Shelley Smith failed as his replacement when Saffold was inserted@ ORG that was past the mid point of the 2013 season. JB is in his finale year under Ram contact.

If Snead drafts a rookie OLT high you would have the three of the four past Fisher OT's that he has needed the last two seasons. In 2012 Fisher went into the season with Saffold(OLT)-Richardson(ORT) Hunter(swing)& then the 4th OT Joe Barksdale. In 2013 Fisher went with Long(OLT)-Saffold(ORT)-Barksdale (swing) with Chris Williams as the 4th. What does Fisher have for 2014? Long ? (OLT) {injuries ACL/MCL-surgery/pending rehabbing event} Barksdale(ORT) ???? (swing) and ???? as the 4th. The last two seasons Fisher has been forced to use his Swing OT & 4th OT to start many Ram games question currently who does Fisher have now that can fill these needs? Fisher has only One healthy OT of the four required.

I've studied Robinson extensively and believe his best position as a rookie is Left Guard. He is best down blocking to his right and is unusually powerful. He really excels in the "phone booth" and Auburn ran their offense rarely exposing him in space as an edge blocker. When they did, he really struggled at times with his technique. Moving him to RT would be even more disastrous for the first half of the season on passing downs (think Eric Fisher). Coach Bou could have him ready for LT duty in '15, but putting him at either tackle position in '14 would limit the offense on third and long (needing chip blocks to assist him) and aren't we all tired of that by now?

With that said, he certainly has the athleticism to take over the LT position down the road. I agree with you that we need another tackle or two but I pray Robinson isn't pressed into starting duty right away. Even the great Orlando Pace struggled his first season. Jake Matthews would be able to step in right away and be effective but then you would be putting one of our better linemen on the bench and that would bug me a bit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I've studied Robinson extensively and believe his best position as a rookie is Left Guard. He is best down blocking to his right and is unusually powerful. He really excels in the "phone booth" and Auburn ran their offense rarely exposing him in space as an edge blocker. When they did, he really struggled at times with his technique. Moving him to RT would be even more disastrous for the first half of the season on passing downs (think Eric Fisher). Coach Bou could have him ready for LT duty in '15, but putting him at either tackle position in '14 would limit the offense on third and long (needing chip blocks to assist him) and aren't we all tired of that by now?

With that said, he certainly has the athleticism to take over the LT position down the road. I agree with you that we need another tackle or two but I pray Robinson isn't pressed into starting duty right away. Even the great Orlando Pace struggled his first season. Jake Matthews would be able to step in right away and be effective but then you would be putting one of our better linemen on the bench and that would bug me a bit.

I agree with you on GR. He is a LEFT side OL. GR would be an instant plug in to the vacant Left OG post and could be worked @ OLT in preparations for issues with Jake Long's rehabbing event. Your comment about GR being pressed into starting duty??? You can bet on it he will.

If Snead & Fisher are preparing for the present & the future & they have Swing OT roster spot & ORT needs very high along with the fact they need an instant starter then Jake Matthews is the much better selection.

tonyl711

Starter
I think some of you are doing what some GMs do, rate prospects higher than you originally had them based on some glorified workouts. game film will tell you way more than running and jumping in shorts, there are so many players who practice better than they play (B Quick is one), I don't see how players drop and rise so much because of a glorified workout that they have all prepared for for months, let their play tell you what you need to know.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think some of you are doing what some GMs do, rate prospects higher than you originally had them based on some glorified workouts. game film will tell you way more than running and jumping in shorts, there are so many players who practice better than they play (B Quick is one), I don't see how players drop and rise so much because of a glorified workout that they have all prepared for for months, let their play tell you what you need to know.

i disagree Quick hasnt got a real shot. throw him the ball when hes open

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If we can bag Sammy and get one of these monsters in the first round, wow! We will be set!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If we can bag Sammy and get one of these monsters in the first round, wow! We will be set!
I did draft Watkins and then had Matthews drop to #13 in one of my first-pick.com drafts, but even I'll admit that's extremely unlikely.

The only way I see us getting both Watkins and a high end OT is to trade #2 for the Browns for #4 and #26, draft Watkins, then trade #13 and #26 back up for one one of the tackles.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Jake Long may be a better right OT than left OT as the injuries mount on that body.

Jake Mathews may not be the fastest or the biggest or the strongest but he sure has a great flow, foundation & great form! GR physically is so impressive his run blocking for Zac Stacy on the left side would be an exciting thing to watch every Sunday. I was very impressed with everything I saw from Taylor Lewan this morning...he surprised me the most!
I agree. Long is wearing down from all the snaps he's taken. Every players "Clock" ticks differently. Long moving to to RT is a no brainer, he would be dominate. Throwing this out there, if you think Saffold stood out at Guard move Long to LG and watch him flatten defenders at the 2nd level.