Talk At Combine About Jake Matthews And Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think with what we're paying Long he's got to be our LT. Can Barksdale move inside?
I don't think what he is being paid should be the determining factor about where he plays. The guy that is the best player should be there protecting Sam's blindside.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Everything you hear on the radio and read from the local reporters is that the Rams really like Barksdale at RT and seem very content there.

I really have my doubts that one of these top tackles is in their plans.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really dont care about the 40 time for Lineman. its really worthless besides gauging there athleticism. Even running a 5.5 wouldnt worry me about a prospect. 10 yard split, that counts a bit at least. As long as the time is descent its all good.

Did anyone watch those drills? No one looked nearly as good as Matthews. When they did the one where they had the cones set up and one would run along the curve of the cones just running to the end of them, and the other would act as the tackle and try to go with them on the other side of the cones while facing them like tackle, Matthews was the only one who actually put his hands on them and kept up with them with ease. In both the RT and LT drill for it. He looked so smooth in every damn drill it was crazy. Thats what impressed me most.
I agree in the drills Matthews looked far above any of the others. I was amazed how smooth he was in the drill where they flipped their hips too. Also how stiff some of the other guys were I thought was very telling.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I agree in the drills Matthews looked far above any of the others. I was amazed how smooth he was in the drill where they flipped their hips too. Also how stiff some of the other guys were I thought was very telling.

Yea, was surprised how stiff many of them were, really made me re-think my opinions of some.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Ya, Robinson may be the most athletic, but at this point I would take the closest thing to a sure bet and that is clearly Matthews.
Nate Solder from the U of Colorado looked like a beast at 6' 8" with very impressive footwork and athletisism, wow'd in the shuffle and jumping drills too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yea, was surprised how stiff many of them were, really made me re-think my opinions of some.
I took notes on every player that was worth it on every drill, both groups. I saw a couple guys that i need to watch some tape on that were not on my radar, but I was very happy with my pre-list of players. A couple were a little stiff, but it just puts them in a different category. M. Moses for instance didn't have a great combine, but he's still huge and powerful. What he is...a RT only in my opinion, but I think he would be a good one. Off my want list though. I'm going to watch some more film, and re-watch some Lewan film, which I didn't love initially, but I did note that most of his issues were technique issues. He already looks better.

duckhunter

Starter
If you want to seal the deal on your opinion of the LTs, look at the tape they have against top common DE opponents: Chris Smith from Ark in 2013 and particularly 2012 and Kony Ealy from MU. One is a speed rusher and the other a power guy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If you want to seal the deal on your opinion of the LTs, look at the tape they have against top common DE opponents: Chris Smith from Ark in 2013 and particularly 2012 and Kony Ealy from MU. One is a speed rusher and the other a power guy.
What did you take out of it?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I took notes on every player that was worth it on every drill, both groups. I saw a couple guys that i need to watch some tape on that were not on my radar, but I was very happy with my pre-list of players. A couple were a little stiff, but it just puts them in a different category. M. Moses for instance didn't have a great combine, but he's still huge and powerful. What he is...a RT only in my opinion, but I think he would be a good one. Off my want list though. I'm going to watch some more film, and re-watch some Lewan film, which I didn't love initially, but I did note that most of his issues were technique issues. He already looks better.

I agree on Moses, and that was the saddest part of the ones who hurt themselves. I was really loving the idea of grabbing him in the 2nd. That was my favorite option for grabbing LT prospect in the draft without grabbing one in the first. Not so much now. I really want a tackle who can play either tackle spots, and guard at first as well. Moses is now off that list. Still sad about it. If we draft a tackle in the first 3 rounds, he has to be able to play LT because of Long's injury history.

Also agree on having to relook at Lewan, he put on a good show today, helped himself out a lot.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree on Moses, and that was the saddest part of the ones who hurt themselves. I was really loving the idea of grabbing him in the 2nd. That was my favorite option for grabbing LT prospect in the draft without grabbing one in the first. Not so much now. I really want a tackle who can play either tackle spots, and guard at first as well. Moses is now off that list. Still sad about it. If we draft a tackle in the first 3 rounds, he has to be able to play LT because of Long's injury history.

Also agree on having to relook at Lewan, he put on a good show today, helped himself out a lot.
A guy that i mentioned yesterday could be that guy, unless he just worked his way into the 1st round, Bitonio had a great day, along with J. James.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
A guy that i mentioned yesterday could be that guy, unless he just worked his way into the 1st round, Bitonio had a great day, along with J. James.

I like Bitonio. If we could grab him in the 3rd I would be all for it, but he seems like a mid 2nd rounder now at the least. J. James has bee on my list as a mid rounder, but mainly for RT. Though I think he would be a better LT prospect than A. Richardson.

jjab360

Legend
Ya, Robinson may be the most athletic, but at this point I would take the closest thing to a sure bet and that is clearly Matthews.
Nate Solder from the U of Colorado looked like a beast at 6' 8" with very impressive footwork and athletisism, wow'd in the shuffle and jumping drills too.
Are you comparing Robinson or Matthews to Solder?

iced

I would imagine its just talking NFL sport heads iced I think. I have always been under the impression that one of the great reasons for drafting an outstanding OLT with one of our two first round selections was first #1 to insert this OT prospect into competing with other OL'ers like Brandon Washington or Mike Persons or Barrett Jones for the vacant hole presently @ the OLG post & ORG post his rookie season. The 2nd thought was that this rookie might be able @ the same time fill the vacant swing OT position too, presently the Rams do not have a bonified top Swing relief OT candidate other than Sean Hooey. Thirdly was if there was an issue with Jake Long rehabbing event that kept Jake Long starting the regular season game this rookie OT could slide over a few feet left to man the OLT post until Jake Long was ready. Presently the Rams do not have a OLT relief OL'er.

The only conversation that I have been involved with where under Ram contract Jake Long has been mentioned as a possible Ram starting ORT is when after Joe Barksdale departs @ the end of this upcoming season for UFA where the ORT post is vacant and where if Jake Long were to be "not up to par" to fully continue to perform his OLT duties as it was evident in some 2013 games before he damaged both his ACL & MCL he could be considered & utilized @ the vacant ORT post in 2015. Jake Long has has surgeries @ the end of the 2011,2012 & 2013 seasons. I would not be surprised to see a different performing pass protector OLT in 2014 that what we saw in 2013. Jake Long is another year older 29 when the 2014 season starts, another full NFL season under his belt & two areas of that same right knee damaged one reconstructed by surgery plus yet to be started rehabbing event on both injured ligaments.

Who would play in the vital OLT post of Jake Long was unable to perform it?

huh? What games were this? He was one of the most dominant LT's in football last year, was top 5 in LT grading, and was top 5 in LT pro bowl votes...

wow..

Only rough game I know he had was against the cowboys, which was against demarcus ware...if Long couldn't handle a D-Ware I'm not expecting a rookie to be able to

jap

Legend
huh? What games were this? He was one of the most dominant LT's in football last year, was top 5 in LT grading, and was top 5 in LT pro bowl votes...

wow..

Only rough game I know he had was against the cowboys, which was against demarcus ware...if Long couldn't handle a D-Ware I'm not expecting a rookie to be able to

Our rookie tackle(s), if any, would be squaring off against The Mighty One or Chris Long, maybe both, in practice. That should prepare them as much as possible for just about anyone, short of their experience they gain in game day combats.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Matthews dominated both in pass pro. Robinson had considerable trouble in pass pro.
I agree with you there. That is what he needs to work on, but he has all the tangibles to do it, and he's only a sophomore. I've said it already, and before the combine, that Matthews is the best OT out there right now.

iced

Our rookie tackle(s), if any, would be squaring off against The Mighty One or Chris Long, maybe both, in practice. That should prepare them as much as possible for just about anyone, short of their experience they gain in game day combats.

Robert Quinn squared off every day in practice against Jake Long...

Quinn > Long

jjab360

Legend
Robert Quinn squared off every day in practice against Jake Long...

Quinn > Long
I think Quinn going up against a LT like Long all TC long had a HUGE impact on his regular season performance. We probably didn't think much about that when we were looking to sign Long, but when Quinn figured out how to beat a top LT like Jake, he figured out how to beat pretty much any LT in the league.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Everything you hear on the radio and read from the local reporters is that the Rams really like Barksdale at RT and seem very content there.

I really have my doubts that one of these top tackles is in their plans.
Basically what I and some others have been saying. The line does need help, but it needs it on the interior.

Draft Watkins with the first pick, Clinton-Dix or Pryor with the second, then Yankey or Su'a-Filo in the 2nd, and I think we're good. I'd try to sign Saffold or another starting guard in FA, and maybe a backup tackle.

The counter argument is that we won't have a chance at this big of a blue chipper when we do need a LT (as we will eventually).... but you can make the same argument for Watkins.