Take the Sam's last chance talk somewhere else

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know when I signed up for this site there was something there about support our guys. If you aren't going to do that go somewhere else.

All this crap about Sam's last chance, make or break year, he gets paid too much, take it to the PD.

Bradford is a team leader and was kicking ass last year and will again in 2014.

If we aren't allowed fair assessment of a player then screw it, I don't mind leaving (just anywhere but the PD).

I'm a Sam fan but whatever way you look at it it is his last chance, a chance I think he'll grasp with both hands and lead us to the playoffs, but his last chance none the less.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bradford is 26 and in his 3rd year with this offense, the supporting cast is growing up and he is a leader. He is coming in to his prime and there is not going to be a change in Fisher's 4th year putting his coaching job on a guy that is going to do nothing but hold a clipboard this year. I fail to see how anyone thinks this year is a last chance, its not even the last year of his contract. Sam is coming in to his prime and has another 5-10 years in the league the Rams would be dumb to dump him for anyone coming out in this draft class.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
It depends on how you define success for Sam in 2014. I'd be happy if he stays healthy for 16 games because I know he's capable of being very good and the Rams will have a good season if that happens.

Plus arguing over what he gets paid is pointless. Its not his fault he was picked first overall at a time when rookie contracts were out of control. In fact, it was the Rams' fault for sucking so hard the year before.

PhxRam

Bradford is 26 and in his 3rd year with this offense, the supporting cast is growing up and he is a leader. He is coming in to his prime and there is not going to be a change in Fisher's 4th year putting his coaching job on a guy that is going to do nothing but hold a clipboard this year. I fail to see how anyone thinks this year is a last chance, its not even the last year of his contract. Sam is coming in to his prime and has another 5-10 years in the league the Rams would be dumb to dump him for anyone coming out in this draft class.

Every player at every position is constantly being evaluated and will be upgraded if the right player comes along and the financials support it.

Sam Bradford is no different.

I am sure that at the end of his (bradfords) contract the Rams org will evaluate the position and make the best decision going forward.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Every player at every position is constantly being evaluated and will be upgraded if the right player comes along and the financials support it.

Sam Bradford is no different.

I am sure that at the end of his (bradfords) contract the Rams org will evaluate the position and make the best decision going forward.
With the talk of an extension for Bradford last year it looks like the organization had already decided it was time to get the contract out of the way. Admittedly the injury as well as the reports that Sam wanted to prove his worth put an end to those talks but if he is healthy there is no reason to think the Rams/Bradford partnership should not be continued.

duckhunter

Starter
Personally, I believe we have lost too many very good poster because of the homey attitude.

I've been neutral on Bradford since the day we drafted him. I've limited my discussion to areas he needs to improve and commended him when he has. I'm not willing to automatically accept losing for any reason. My experience in life is that reasons and rationalizing losses are often the ugly sisters to excuses and a willingness to accept lower standards. If he was kicking ass we would have been 5-1 or 6-0 when he was injured. That would have been kicking ass.

I believe the GM and coaches have done a very good job of changing the direction of the team for the most part. If Bradford is such a great leader then he and the rest of the team need to bring home the bacon. We just haven't seen it consistently particularly in the only category that matters, wins and losses, and until we do, it will be discussed no matter what one may think.

Hell, if he can't do it, then Snisher will find someone who can, it's their job. Heck, we could argue over how long the leash is that Fisher has on him: one year, two, or however long. That's why it's a discussion board.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It depends on how you define success for Sam in 2014. I'd be happy if he stays healthy for 16 games because I know he's capable of being very good and the Rams will have a good season if that happens.

Plus arguing over what he gets paid is pointless. Its not his fault he was picked first overall at a time when rookie contracts were out of control. In fact, it was the Rams' fault for sucking so hard the year before.
I would define success for Sam as having a good TD/Int ratio, not making mistakes that give winnable games away playing all 16 games and being a team leader. He still can't catch the passes he throws so I don't really care about the other individual stats as much as him not losing games by making bad decisions. Even though he is the QB is it still a team sport and our team is on the rise!!

duckhunter

Starter
One of the hardest things in my life to do is to tolerate opinions contrary to mine. After all, they could be right.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm a St. Louis Rams fan first, and then a fan of the players second. Players will come and go but the Horns will remain. No player is above criticism or fair evaluation, not even Sam Bradford.

The team has said that Bradford will remain as the #1 QB, so that's it. Therefore, talking about trading or cutting him this season is a waste of time and just stirring the pot.

Next season is another matter entirely if he plays poorly or misses too many games due to injury. Watch how loyal the coaching staff, front office, and owner is to Sam Bradford if that unfortunate scenario takes place. The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" business and no player or coach is above that.

Slappy967

Starter
I believe Bradford can still be "THE GUY" but this is an important year for him. He can quiet the disgruntled fans and the sad sack media we have in the STL in one fell swoop by putting in a full season and regaining the form he had his rookie year and at times last year. I personally don't mind people having a different opinion of me in regards to Sams ability I just hope they can eloquently state why they feel differently with something mroe then "Sam sucks".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I know when I signed up for this site there was something there about support our guys. If you aren't going to do that go somewhere else.

All this crap about Sam's last chance, make or break year, he gets paid too much, take it to the PD.

We all (I assume) support Sam Bradford, but there is nothing wrong with people speculating about his future. There are a number of things working both for and against him right now, and he is mostly in control of his own destiny. One more sub .500 season without mitigating circumstances, or one more serious injury, and his future as a Ram could be in question. To be clear, his talents aren't in question (to me); but his future here as his contract comes to an end, is still undecided.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I'm a St. Louis Rams fan first, and then a fan of the players second. Players will come and go but the Horns will remain. No player is above criticism or fair evaluation, not even Sam Bradford.

The team has said that Bradford will remain as the #1 QB, so that's it. Therefore, talking about trading or cutting him this season is a waste of time and just stirring the pot.

Next season is another matter entirely if he plays poorly or misses too many games due to injury. Watch how loyal the coaching staff, front office, and owner is to Sam Bradford if that unfortunate scenario takes place. The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" business and no player or coach is above that.
I totally agree with this.

The fact is that this isn't even the last year of his contract. You can't trade an under-performing high contract and you can't drop him for a rookie or a re-tread and expect improvement without the offensive line and receiver group in place anyway. Coach Fisher isn't that stupid.

So next season is really his make or break season. Not for the Rams, but for him. At that point, if he's not playing up to expectations, they can still retain him at a more agreeable contract and that's where our opinion of him as fans/media takes a back seat to what GMs around the league actually feel about him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I've tried to stay level headed when it comes to SB. There's no doubt he has the skills to be a top-notch QB in the NFL but shit happens and it has to him and the Rams while he has been in horns. Nobody can tell what will transpire in the future but I think the stage is set for SB to break out and put it all together in 2014. I just so want to see the media stumble over their words when SB lights it up and makes them eat crow!

As far as this season being a make or break year for SB, like it or not, it really is to a degree as it is just about every season to most high-profile players in the NFL.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

Well Mr. Bart, I've been a fan of the Rams for 52 years, including 5 years as a season ticket holder in LA....I think that gives me the right (and responsibility) to support, cheer, rave, gripe, criticize and even call for the head of any player I believe needs to go.

Now if that isn't exactly what you're looking for, I understand.....but it doesn't alter either my right or responsibility as a fan to express my myself either pro or con. The fact of the matter is, whether we like it or not, Bradford has NOT fulfilled his promise as a starting QB and his stats speak for themselves. Unfortunately, I suspect that the "excuse brigade" is already clearing its throat and will begin playing the latest-greatest "excuse game" (ACL injury is hampering his performance) the first time Sam has a bad game.

Like everyone else I hope that isn't the case, but I've read and heard enough excuses to last me a lifetime with this QB. Incidentally, I've seen many a QB do more with less over the years. Unfortunately, there's every possibility that Bradford's season won't be as we expect or anticipate, based upon the fact that (often) returning players from such an injury often requires a second season before they actually return to previous form.....I believe that often times it's more about their head than their physical condition, but there it is none-the-less

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
All I truly care about is equal time among the NFC West QBs. When the Rams and Bradford break out, I don't want to hear any of media hacks rationalize his success because of the defense, or the running game.

Make or break or not, I'm really tired of hearing the phrase. Maybe we can come up with a brand new euphemism.

iced

@blackbart - Just ignore it like I do. People that say it's Sam's last year are just giving their own opinions - but they're no more close to being accurate than Bernie or anyone else who drums up some "Bradford's last year/could be traded" type of story.

Fisher and Snead are all in with Bradford - til they say or act otherwise, not even worth paying mind to

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Some people are fanatical about their team others seem to be fanatical about bitching