Suh visiting Rams per source

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
All three are good enough they could switch places while at the line, as all three of them could play all three positions during a game. Pick your poison, but either way, they's gonna kill ya.
Wouldn’t that be fun to watch! They could switch positions before the snap!

dang

Legend
Thinking about it and how signing him would seem to likely wreck the cap for future years (at least make things much more difficult) - Wade is old. I wonder how much of it is that the Rams may only have him for a couple of seasons? i.e. jump at this opportunity, jump at the opportunity to have a fantastic secondary, and not worry so much about what comes in two plus seasons?
By all accounts the $$$ for Donald is already accounted for - translation "an agreement of guaranteed $$$ has been established (probably something like $70M)".

The outstanding decision may be agreement on the distribution of that $$$. If they don't sign Suh they would have plenty to front load Donald starting next year. If they sign Suh and/or any other FAs (Allan Hurns anyone??) then they would run out of cap room this year and would have defer more $$$ to 2019.

I think the magic number for Suh would be something like 2 years/$24M guaranteed. Anything more may be too rich for the Rams (especially with options like Hankins for something like $8M/year). Anything less may eliminate the Rams from competing with a team like Tennessee (who has the most cap space of any team showing interest in Suh so far).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

C'mon, Aldon, everyone knows that we'd be signing Suh to play NT. ;)

Thinking about it and how signing him would seem to likely wreck the cap for future years (at least make things much more difficult) - Wade is old. I wonder how much of it is that the Rams may only have him for a couple of seasons? i.e. jump at this opportunity, jump at the opportunity to have a fantastic secondary, and not worry so much about what comes in two plus seasons?

Wreck the cap in future years? Nah.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By all accounts the $$$ for Donald is already accounted for - translation "an agreement of guaranteed $$$ has been established (probably something like $70M)".

The outstanding decision may be agreement on the distribution of that $$$. If they don't sign Suh they would have plenty to front load Donald starting next year. If they sign Suh and/or any other FAs (Allan Hurns anyone??) then they would run out of cap room this year and would have defer more $$$ to 2019.
I think the magic number for Suh would be something like 2 years/$24M guaranteed. Anything more may be too rich for the Rams (especially with options like Hankins for something like $8M/year). Anything less may eliminate the Rams from competing with a team like Tennessee (who has the most cap space of any team showing interest in Suh so far).

The problem isn't paying Donald and Suh. The problem is also paying Gurley and Goff, while still having cap room to have a quality team around them. The less that Donald's contract is front loaded, the less that the Rams have to keep quality players in 2020, for instance.

It may be worth it, to go for it all in the next year or two - but the more they go for it now, the harder the cap decisions will be in future years. If they win the Super Bowl nobody will care - but there are no guarantees.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know how much he's going to ask for. Seriously stop worrying about it until/when/if we sign him. Until then it's all speculation and we've seen he said this contract isn't about money.

dang

Legend
And for what its worth - when Donald extension is announced - make him a Captain. Let everyone know his role goes well beyond highly compensated superstar. His role is the undeniable leader of "TBD Name for Rams Historic Defense"!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously stop worrying about it until/when/if we sign him.

Seriously, stop worrying about what other people worry about.

And even if Suh ends up with less than some would think - it'll be a lot of money.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Good point. Hadn't even thought of that. But it may be more about getting guys in place before Goff and Gurley get big contracts, assuming that Aaron Donald gets paid this season.

agree 100%.

these moves are championship or bust moves. i like it. fans will never be sad about a team going for it.

With the window open for a shot at a championship why not take a leap through it?View attachment 24277 You never know how long that window stays open. With Talid and Peters on board, adding Suh might just be the final piece that gets it done? I say go for it!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And even if Suh ends up with less than some would think - it'll be a lot of money.
hahaha
I know we only have his word that this contract isn't about the money but OMG I can't help but dread that Les won't pay attention to that and screw our cap up for the next decade :D

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
hahaha
I know we only have his word that this contract isn't about the money but OMG I can't help but dread that Les won't pay attention to that and screw our cap up for the next decade :D
Isn't it Demoff that draws up the contract? And if so, like we all do, Les can just blame Demoff.:redcard:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think the salary increases this offseason took the Rams somewhat by surprise. They thought they could re-sign Watkins for significantly less than the franchise tag cost, I don't think they expected Sulllivan to cost so much to resign, I think they figured filling linebacker spots and NT would be affordable - a little more than it would have cost last year, but same general ballpark. The upshot a chunk of the money that was allocated for Watkins has already been spent just taking care of inflation, with holes still to deal with.

I'm not saying don't sign Suh, btw. Just be aware that there will be real costs in terms of player personnel at some point in the near future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Suh is 31 years old. He's not getting a 7 year deal. This signing is highly unlikely to affect Gurley or Goff.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Suh is 31 years old. He's not getting a 7 year deal. This signing is highly unlikely to affect Gurley or Goff.

I think the Rams were planning on having the greatest cap hit from Donald next season, before Gurley's and Goff's extensions. That may not be possible now. Which will affect the roster in a year or two. They can still sign Gurley and Goff, but not everybody else around them.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I think the salary increases this offseason took the Rams somewhat by surprise. They thought they could re-sign Watkins for significantly less than the franchise tag cost, I don't think they expected Sulllivan to cost so much to resign, I think they figured filling linebacker spots and NT would be affordable - a little more than it would have cost last year, but same general ballpark. The upshot a chunk of the money that was allocated for Watkins has already been spent just taking care of inflation, with holes still to deal with.

I'm not saying don't sign Suh, btw. Just be aware that there will be real costs in terms of player personnel at some point in the near future.
I see what you're saying:shocked: but I'm sure Ram's management understands their situation better than anyone here does, and if they sign Suh by some miracle :yess: then they probably have contingencies in place to deal with it. So in Goff I trust. :rolleyes:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The collective bargaining agreement ends in 2020. The players want a bigger piece of those bloated broadcasting deals. The cap could see a very big increase. So anything the Rams pay Donald, Goff, and Gurley may suddenly not be an issue. That is part of why Aaron Donald's agent wanted a three year opt out. Many believe there will be much more cap space available.

It could also be a reason for Snead and company to be going all in now and while the window is opening. There is uncertainty as to how things will be done in 2020. With two new leagues up and running by then, maybe players get pissed and move on for better deals.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
the excitement of potentially lining him up next to AD can make you forget that he wasn't always the best actor ...

but not being the main guy..and with this coaching staff..I think this would be a much more comfortable environment for him...

Godzilla would have probably been a lot nicer if King Kong was on his side...lol
Donald, Suh, Brockers
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited: