Sounds like the Rams released finnegan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd only bring him back for vet minimum or MAYBE slightly above at this point. A lot of other teams probably feel the same, unless they really need a CB and feel Finnegan still has some production left in the tank.
And they should sign him for exactly three million dollars.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
not sure what vet mimimum would be but Finnegan's value has to be well below $1M/year. Even that seems a stretch.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Let him go test the waters and he can come back if no one bites.
Yeah. I think that is pretty much going to be the way it plays out. I really don't have a feel for how much Finn's game was affected by the way the defense was run. I'm sure his injuries had something to do with his game and maybe as Alan says, his injuries were harder to recover from because of his age. But I think the guy can still be effective again if healthy. It's just not something I would like to see us invest much in on the hopes he can return to what we saw when he first got here. Maybe we can offer him a play in for better pay. IOW - vets minimum plus incentives. Keeping in mind of course that I don't know what that vets minimum is in his case. And yeah.... too lazy to look it up.

RamBill

Legend
Rams release Finnegan in salary-cap move
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b96ffd32-f5a4-5d3c-9f9e-8f1ba230bf33.html

As the first free agent brought in by new coach Jeff Fisher in 2012, cornerback Cortland Finnegan was to be a cornerstone player of a new-look, new-attitude Rams defense.

Finnegan would play with an edge and bring some of his trademark feistiness to the St. Louis defense. After signing a five-year, $50 million deal, Finnegan was asked where that feisty play came from.

“It may be my Irish side,” Finnegan said with a smile.

For awhile, Finnegan looked like he would be worth every penny of that contract. In his first game as a Ram, he intercepted and returned a Matthew Stafford pass 31 yards for a second-quarter score at Detroit’s Ford Field.

The following week he helped the Rams to their first victory under Fisher, with another interception. But the capper came late in the game, when in vintage Finnegan style, he goaded Redskins wide receiver Josh Morgan into a costly personal foul.

The penalty meant the Redskins had to attempt a 62-yarder to tie the game with just over a minute to play instead of a 47-yarder. Billy Cundiff’s kick fell far short and the Rams escaped with a 31-28 triumph at the Edward Jones Dome.

Finnegan made it three interceptions in three games as a Ram the following week in Chicago.

But the good times didn’t last. With Finnegan bothered by a nagging hamstring injury, his play tailed off in the final month of 2012. He got off to a bad start in 2013, then saw the rest of his season deep-sixed by a fractured orbital bone around his left eye.

Faced with a $6 million base salary and a $10 million cap count for Finnegan in 2014, the Rams decided to part ways. Coach Jeff Fisher and executive vice president Kevin Demoff spoke with Finnegan separately over the past couple of days, informing him he was going to be released.

The official paperwork has not yet been filed to the NFL office but will be within the week.

As soon as that happens, Finnegan’s release saves the Rams $4 million in immediate salary cap money, but it could end up being as high as $7 million in cap savings if Finnegan signs with another club this year. Here’s why:

Finnegan is due a signing bonus of $3 million on the third day of the league year. (The league year begins March 11.) The signing bonus is guaranteed, but in an unusual tweak, the bonus includes offset language.

That means if Finnegan signs with another team for $2 million this year, the Rams get $2 million of that $3 million back in the form of additional cap space. If he signs for $1 million with another team, the Rams get $1 million of cap space back. And so on, up to a maximum of the $3 million bonus.

The Rams don’t always announce player cuts, and when they do, they wait until all the paperwork is filed. With that in mind, Finnegan “broke” the news himself on his Twitter account Wednesday:

“St. Louis thank you for your letting me play for a classy franchise and coach fish nothing but love thank you all. #Motivation”

Fisher later told the Post-Dispatch that the Rams remain interested in re-signing Finnegan at a later date.

“We’ve expressed interest in him coming back to our football team,” Fisher said. “We appreciate what he’s done for us. I know he was personally disappointed the way last year ended up for us. But as we told him, he can help win football games for us next year.”

Implied but not stated is the fact that that will happen only at a much lower rate than Finnegan’s soon to be terminated contract. Compounding matters is the fact that Finnegan currently does not have an agent.

Several Rams were quick to wish Finnegan well on Twitter as word spread of his pending release.

From defensive end Chris Long:

“Farewell to 1 of my favorite teammates I’ve had @CortFinnegan. A tone setter, a great football player and better teammate. Best of luck bro.”

And from quarterback Kellen Clemens:

“CortFinnegan was a pleasure amigo. You’re a credit to the profession and a true pro. You will be missed.”

Finnegan never got out of the gate in 2013. In the season-opening 27-24 victory over Arizona, Finnegan was beaten twice on deep balls and committed two personal fouls.

Always accountable, Finnegan blamed himself after the game.

“Personally, it was a poor performance — period — and I’m not going to make excuses for it,” he said. “If we would’ve lost I would’ve took it solely on me.”

He then suffered the fracture in Game 4 against San Francisco. After missing three games, Finnegan returned to the lineup Oct. 28 against Seattle. But he still suffered from blurred vision and other symptoms, he was placed on the season-ending injured reserve list after appearing in two additional games. The eye injury did not require surgery.

The departure of Finnegan, who turned 30 last month, could make it even more likely that the Rams pursue his former Titans teammate, Alterraun Verner, in free agency — or use a high draft pick on a cornerback.

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams made qualifying offers to three exclusive rights free agents: C Tim Barnes, QB Austin Davis and WR-returner Justin Veltung. They have yet to make such offers to restricted free agent TE Mike McNeill or exclusive rights free agent CB Quinton Pointer. The deadline to do so is Tuesday.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Cortland Finnegan representing himself, wants to win
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 10, 2014

300x-38.jpg
AP

Cortland Finnegan doesn’t have a team at the moment.

And when he finds another one, it will be without the benefit of an agent.

Finnegan told Josina Anderson of ESPN he wants to join a contender, but doesn’t think he needs to pay someone to help him find one.

I still feel like I can contribute and also benefit a team by bringing a young kid along,” he said. “What’s different now is that I don’t have an agent. I’m representing myself in this process. Let me tell you I am getting an upfront look at what’s it’s really like to talk to these General Managers, coordinators and coaches and take in how they really feel about you. I’m asking questions and getting answers that I would never get from an agent.

“Personally I think I’ve had some real conversations with a few teams. I may take a few visits but sometimes I feel like I can collect the information that I need on the phone. I know the teams that have a standard for winning already. That’s really my focus now.”

Finnegan’s play dropped off sharply last year, to the point that his patron Jeff Fisher cut him. That’s probably as clear a signal as could be sent.

But if a good team needs a veteran stable-pony, Finnegan seems inclined to accept a smaller role than in the past.

And with his smaller paycheck, saving the 3 percent might be a wise investment.

A55VA6

Legend
Finnegans release just became official. He was released when the new league year started about an hour ago.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Dolphins set to host two former St. Louis starters
Former Rams starters Cortland Finnegan and Shelley Smith could compete for starting spots with Miami Dolphins
By Omar Kelly, Sun Sentinel

Two years ago Cortland Finnegan had a reputation as one of the NFL's best and feistiest cornerbacks.

That reputation landed him a five-year, $50 million contract with the St. Louis Rams in 2012. But Finnegan struggled because of hamstring and lower extremity issues last season, and eventually got benched.

Despite receiving $27 million in guaranteed money from the Rams, he was cut earlier this month. This 30-year-old will make the Miami Dolphins his first free agent visit.

Finnegan and Rams offensive guard Shelley Smith will both visit the team on Friday. Dolphins General Manager Dennis Hickey will make his pitch of making Miami their next team.

The Dolphins could use some cornerback help after releasing Dimitri Patterson this week and losing Nolan Carroll to the Eagles, who gave him a two-year, $5.2 million deal on Thursday.

The Dolphins could offer Finnegan and Smith a realistic shot to be an NFL starter in 2014.

The Dolphins didn't make re-signing Carroll, who had 47 tackles, two sacks and three interceptions last season, a priority because the team has younger talent.

Miami used a second-round pick on Jamar Taylor, and a third-round pick in the 2013 draft to select Will Davis. Both rookies played sparingly last season because of injuries, inexperience, and Miami's depth. But there's no guarantee either will be ready to handle the starting spot opposite cornerback Brent Grimes, who was re-signed earlier this month.

That's where Finnegan, who has started 99 games the past eight seasons, comes in. He's averaged 61 tackles a season, and has pulled down 18 interceptions and produced seven sacks during his career.

But last season Finnegan's injuries limited him to seven games and five starts. He tallied just 27 tackles and one interception in his 367 snaps before being put on injured reserve in November. ProFootballFocus.com rated Finnegan the 109th best cornerback in the NFL last season. Only one cornerback who played at least 25 percent of his team's snaps was worse.

What the Dolphins must decide is whether Finnegan's play declined because of his age (30), or his injuries, and if Finnegan can rebound much like Grimes did last season in becoming a Pro Bowler for the Dolphins following an injury-spoiled season.

Smith is wrapping up his second free agent visit, and should board a flight to Ft. Lauderdale Thursday afternoon, unless he finalizes a contract with the New England Patriots.

The Dolphins have two starting guard spots to fill, and Miami's offensive line coach, John Benton, coached Smith during their time together in Houston in 2010-11.

Smith started his free agent visits on Tuesday with the New York Giants, and met with the Patriots on Wednesday.

Smith, who is 6-foot-4, 312 pounds, has some upside. He was rated by ProFootballFocus.com as the NFL's 23rd best guard last season. The website declared him the NFL's fourth best run blocking offensive guard in 2013.

However, this former 2010 sixth-round pick has started just eight games the past two seasons. He played just 371 snaps last season as part of an offensive guard rotation.

The season before Smith played 360 snaps at left and right guard. He's allowed five sacks and 16 hurries in the 731 snaps he's played the past two seasons.

The Dolphins are running out of desirable options at offensive guard because the players they targeted as upgrades over former starters Richie Incognito and John Jerry have received lucrative deals from other teams.

The Dolphins are rebuilding the offensive line, which allowed a franchise-record 58 sacks last season, and began that process by signing Pro Bowl left tackle Branden Albert to a five-year, $47 million contract earlier this week.

Copyright © 2014, South Florida Sun-Sentinel