Sounds like the Rams released finnegan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams released CB Cortland Finnegan.
Finnegan, 30, was scheduled to count $10 million against the cap. The Rams clear a much-needed $4 million in cap space with the move. Before landing on injured reserve with a fractured orbital bone in November, Finnegan was getting routinely beat in coverage as the slot corner. He signed a five-year, $50 million deal ahead of the 2012 season and doesn't appear to have much left.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

I'm still not expecting Rams to be terribly active in FA, nor hand out big money to another FA. Saffold remains top priority.

Fisher said at combine he expected Finnegan back for offseason program. Door may not be closed but he wasn't going to be back at $10 million

To clarify from earlier, Rams have not yet released CB Cortland Finnegan but will be doing so soon. Obviously, the move is not a surprise.

To go through Finnegan cap savings, it would be $4 million saved for Rams right now. Could be more if/when Finnegan signs elsewhere

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

And to clarify. Finnegan has been told he is being released. No paperwork has been sent to the league office as of yet.

Immediate cap savings is $4 million on Finnegan for Rams.

But cap savings could grow due to offset language on $3 million roster bonus Finnegan was due third day of league year.

If Finnegan signs with another team for 2014, whatever he makes in '14 counts as additional cap savings.

So if Finnegan signs for $2M elsewhere Rams get additional $2M of cap space. If he signs for $1M, it's $1M more cap space, etc.

RamBill

Legend

Cortland Finnegan tweets Rams will release him

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ts-rams-will-release-him?campaign=Twitter_atl

The Rams intimated during last month's combine that Cortland Finnegan had a home in St.Louis next season, but his gaudy salary ultimately trumped those plans.

The former All-Pro cornerback tweeted Wednesday that he's done as a Ram:

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported the team must wait until Tuesday, after the start of the new league year, to release Finnegan because they don't have the 2013 cap space to do it sooner.

Coach Jeff Fisher also told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Wednesday that the Rams remain interested in re-signing the 30-year-old defender at a later date, but not at his weighty $10 million price tag. His release saves the team $4 million in 2014 while generating roughly $6 million in dead money.

Long before a fractured orbital bone ended his season, Finnegan's play had fallen off a cliff. Limited to nickel duty, the once physical and reliable cover man was too frequently torched in coverage for a defense that no longer sees him as a priority.

If he's brought back, it will be on the cheap.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
well crap I hope sombody else signs him for 2 or 3 million dollar a prove it deal so we can get that much more cap space.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Now we just have to wait and see who we are going after to sign.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Finnegan is a good cat, always in the community and had a great personality. He was my favorite player when the new regime started. I think the thigh was bugging him more than he let on. I first started to notice it in the Vikings game in 2012 even. Wasn't playing with that same aggressiveness.

Despite his persona, he's one of the good guys. Shit disturber yes, but still one of the good guys. I hope he can get healthy and get back to playing at a high level. In the Horns or not.

RamBill

Legend
Rams inform Finnegan he will be released
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...e-8366-20461ec70406.html#.UxeWTix6FHw.twitter

Cortland Finnegan's tenure in St. Louis is over after just two seasons with the Rams. Within the past 24 hours, coach Jeff Fisher and executive vice president Kevin Demoff spoke with Finnegan, both informing him that he was being released.

The official paperwork has not yet been sent to the NFL office, but will within the next week.

As soon as that happens, Finnegan's release will save the Rams $4 million in immediate salary cap money. He was due to make $6 million in base salary, plus a $3 million signing bonus due the third day of the league year (or by March 13), and count $10 million against this year's Rams salary cap.

The signing bonus of $3 million is guaranteed, but it includes offset language. In other words, if Finnegan signs with another team for $2 million this year, the Rams get $2 million in additional cap space. If he signs for $1 million with another team, the Rams get $1 million of cap space back. Etc., up to a maximum of the $3 million.

Finnegan "broke" the news himself on his Twitter account this afternoon:

"St. Louis thank you for your letting me play for a classy franchise and coach fish nothing but love thank you all. #Motivation"

Fisher later told the Post-Dispatch that the team remains interested in re-signing Finnegan at a later date.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:barefoot:

Snead, Demoff & Fisher good move!(y)

Lets give OG Jon Asamoah formerly KC Chiefs a call!

Last edited:

Wonderboy

Rookie
Where does this leave us salary cap wise?

I'm with you, does anybody know what this does for our cap situation? How much space does it "free up." And where are we in comparison to the $133M total? Appreciate anyone with insight on these things.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
4 million this year and if sombody signs him we get more say if they sign him for 2 mil we get an extra 2 mil of cap space

Wonderboy

Rookie
Thanks. Does anybody know where the Rams sit in total relative to the cap? Are we in the $120M range?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
So he's gone, then.

I'm sad. :(

He was the original player that instilled the ferocious, Squawks fans say "dirty," additude that I love about our defense. It's actually my favorite quality of our whole team. We kick butts in a butt kicking manner, it's additude. Cortland had it and it was contagious.

I was really hoping he would restructure and play S, maybe. I think we're just making a bit of room for Saffold and maybe another splash FA like Verner. At least that's what I'm hoping.

bluecoconuts

Legend
So apparently a lot of people in the Rams organization had no idea of his decision (pay cut or leave) until he announced on Twitter. Interesting...

I'm with you, does anybody know what this does for our cap situation? How much space does it "free up." And where are we in comparison to the $133M total? Appreciate anyone with insight on these things.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Immediate cap savings is $4 million on Finnegan for Rams.

But cap savings could grow due to offset language on $3 million roster bonus Finnegan was due third day of league year.

If Finnegan signs with another team for 2014, whatever he makes in '14 counts as additional cap savings.

So if Finnegan signs for $2M elsewhere Rams get additional $2M of cap space. If he signs for $1M, it's $1M more cap space, etc.

So $4m potentially $7m if he signed elsewhere for $3m.

So $10.3m potentially rising to $13.3m, last year's rookie class cost (going off the players drafted in the positions we're drafting this year last year) $9.2m, so in essence we have $1.1m.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
So $4m potentially $7m if he signed elsewhere for $3m.

So $10.3m potentially rising to $13.3m, last year's rookie class cost (going off the players drafted in the positions we're drafting this year last year) $9.2m, so in essence we have $1.1m.

We will worry about the rookie class when we get there. This same thing happened last year. We were tight against the cap then went and got Cook and Long. Demoff is freeing money for free agency at the moment. He'll move everything around again when it's time to sign the rooks.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We will worry about the rookie class when we get there. This same thing happened last year. We were tight against the cap then went and got Cook and Long. Demoff is freeing money for free agency at the moment. He'll move everything around again when it's time to sign the rooks.
Yep. I remember that last year people were laughing about our chances to land Long and Cook due to our cap situation. And viola.