Sounds like the Rams released finnegan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan with a declarative statement:
He's clearly not the worst corner in the league. He had an injury riddled very short season in which he didn't perform well...
I'm aware of both the injury he suffered in 2012 and the one he suffered in 2013.

So I'm going to ignore the fact that, IMO, the reason he was the worst CB in the NFL is immaterial to his ranking even though that may or may not be an indicator of what his future performance level may be. I believe that PFF ranked him the worst in the league PRIOR to his injury and it was well deserved. He may actually have only been the second worst CB in the league but I stand by the general tone and meaning of my statement. I got this information from a post someone made here at the ROD quoting something from PFF. Of course I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be so I'm ready to hear facts that would prove me wrong. Or at least cause me to rethink my position.

Can you tell me why you are so positive that he wasn't the worst? I assume from the way you worded your response that you're aware of facts that i'm not privy too. I'd be really interested in learning what those facts are.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm aware of both the injury he suffered in 2012 and the one he suffered in 2013.

So I'm going to ignore the fact that, IMO, the reason he was the worst CB in the NFL is immaterial to his ranking even though that may or may not be an indicator of what his future performance level may be. I believe that PFF ranked him the worst in the league PRIOR to his injury and it was well deserved. He may actually have only been the second worst CB in the league but I stand by the general tone and meaning of my statement. I got this information from a post someone made here at the ROD quoting something from PFF. Of course I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be so I'm ready to hear facts that would prove me wrong. Or at least cause me to rethink my position.

Can you tell me why you are so positive that he wasn't the worst? I assume from the way you worded your response that you're aware of facts that i'm not privy too. I'd be really interested in learning what those facts are.

Before I get into this, I want to make sure I understand your position correctly. Are you suggesting there is not a single cornerback in the nfl worse than cortland finnegan?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

So I'm going to ignore the fact that, IMO, the reason he was the worst CB in the NFL is immaterial to his ranking even though that may or may not be an indicator of what his future performance level may be. I believe that PFF ranked him the worst in the league PRIOR to his injury and it was well deserved. He may actually have only been the second worst CB in the league but I stand by the general tone and meaning of my statement. I got this information from a post someone made here at the ROD quoting something from PFF. Of course I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be so I'm willing to here facts that would prove me wrong. Or at least cause me to rethink my position.

His play started tapering off after the Miami game in 2012, and never really got re-railed. That thigh of his never really fully recovered. It's not true that he was ranked the worst defender prior to his injury. He was actually one of the top CB's the first few weeks in 2012.

rVFgl8l.png

After that, however, trying to play through injury, he was completely ineffective. He had his moments of course, but they were few and far between. A corner with a bad thigh and bad eye is about as useful as tits on a bull, or so the saying goes. He was ranked horribly last year because of that, but I don't think that's indicative of his career to that point. He's actually been a highly rated CB over his career until all of that *stuff* set in on him. Maybe it's time to put him out to pasture, but I don't think anyone here knows what he can do when fully healthy. And Fisher seems to hold some optimism in that regard. We shall see, I suppose.

Alan

Legend
Good stuff X and I was aware that he played well prior to his injury in 2012. I wasn't referring to his performance in 2012 though. I too thought the decline in his play during 2012 was due to his nagging thigh injury. What I was referring to was his performance in 2013 prior to his eye injury. Are you able to get those stats up for us?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good stuff X and I was aware that he played well prior to his injury in 2012. I wasn't referring to his performance in 2012 though. I too thought the decline in his play during 2012 was due to his nagging thigh injury. What I was referring to was his performance in 2013 prior to his eye injury. Are you able to get those stats up for us?
J7ztSl2.png

e00c.png

Alan

Legend
Thanks Dude! (y)
I'll just leave this table to speak for itself and everyone can come to their own conclusion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be so I'm ready to hear facts that would prove me wrong. Or at least cause me to rethink my position.

You're old and your memory isn't what it used to be. Those facts good enough? :cool:

Sorry - forgot the blue font.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thanks Dude! (y)
I'll just leave this table to speak for itself and everyone can come to their own conclusion.
Yeah - I don't know what it really says either. :D

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan looking for clarity:
Before I get into this, I want to make sure I understand your position correctly. Are you suggesting there is not a single cornerback in the nfl worse than cortland finnegan?

Yes. Of course I amended my statement to include the possibility that he might be second to last. ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks Dude! (y)
Yeah, his tables tell a few stories. Like anything else, context is required. I just find it hard to believe that he's really as bad as his games last year indicated. I mean, dudes don't just fall off a cliff like that for no reason when their previous accomplishments are already recorded favorably. You typically see a steady decline when a player's skills are eroding. All that said, I really don't care if he comes back. He provides some benefit as a veteran leader; but then again, his mouth isn't quite enough. Nor do I think that's the kind of thing you want young players to emulate. Just shut up and let your play do the talking. IMO, of course.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He wasn't here long enough for me to really care much either way. I liked the way he played when he was playing well but....

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Of course I amended my statement to include the possibility that he might be second to last. ;)

He was injured nearly the entire year last year, as the eye was a problem long before he went on the IR. To me trying to play through a severe injury such as that shows toughness and leadership. Clearly when you have a thigh injury and difficulty seeing you are not going to be rated very well. But irregardless it is unfair to use 1 injury plagued season in which he only played maybe 1 or 2 games healthy and come away with the conclusion that Cortland Finnegan is the "Worst corner in the league" that deserves no amount of money to play in the NFL.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks for your service Finn! Time waits for no man.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 trying to sneak one by me:
Yeah - I don't know what it really says either. :D
Hey! :mad: :ROFLMAO:

It says he sucked.:p

-X- with his view:
Yeah, his tables tell a few stories. Like anything else, context is required. I just find it hard to believe that he's really as bad as his games last year indicated. I mean, dudes don't just fall off a cliff like that for no reason when their previous accomplishments are already recorded favorably. You typically see a steady decline when a player's skills are eroding. All that said, I really don't care if he comes back. He provides some benefit as a veteran leader; but then again, his mouth isn't quite enough. Nor do I think that's the kind of thing you want young players to emulate. Just shut up and let your play do the talking. IMO, of course.

I agree with your premise but I don't think there was a reason for his precipitous decline. I think that steady decline you would normally see was masked by his injuries. That opinion is not based on any concrete information and is merely my gut feeling about the matter. He might not have been fully healed from his 2012 injury but again that would probably be attributed to his age. We just take a lot longer to heal as we get older.

I look at his age and the fact that he played so badly before his injury in 2013 and it adds up to me not wanting him on our team. Essentially taking valuable playing time from either one of the younger players we already have like McGee or somebody new. Even at the vet minimum he's not worth the cost. I felt the same way about Spoon last year and I think the result with Finn would mirror that. Best case.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Essentially taking valuable playing time from either one of the younger players we already have like McGee or somebody new. Even at the vet minimum he's not worth the cost.
Agree with the former. Disagree with the latter.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan adding to his earlier statement:
He was injured nearly the entire year last year, as the eye was a problem long before he went on the IR. To me trying to play through a severe injury such as that shows toughness and leadership. Clearly when you have a thigh injury and difficulty seeing you are not going to be rated very well. But irregardless it is unfair to use 1 injury plagued season in which he only played maybe 1 or 2 games healthy and come away with the conclusion that Cortland Finnegan is the "Worst corner in the league" that deserves no amount of money to play in the NFL.

I can see why you view my position on Finn as being unfair but that doesn't change my opinion. Your comments about 1 injury plagued year ignores the fact that it was two straight injury plagued years. Be that as it may be, I did mention that I read that fact in a post here and didn't just pull it out of my butt. The post that I'm referring too (posted by X I think) talked about Jenkins and Johnson being rated in the forties and Finnegan being rated last or second to last. The fact that his horrible performance might have been due, in large part, to his injuries is immaterial to my statement.

Are you of the opinion that we should bring him back at a reduced price?

Alan

Legend
-X- thinking there's a sweet spot:
Agree with the former. Disagree with the latter.

Even at the vet minimum I think his salary would be around $1 million. That's a lot to pay for someone to, hopefully, sit on the bench. Especially if he has no future. I view it as pretty much the same scenario as bringing in Spoon last year. If FA and the draft come and go and we don't have a better option then we might have to go with him. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that that scenario won't come to fruition.

Gonna do my thing now so good luck getting even this level of sense out of me until tomorrow. :LOL:

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see why you view my position on Finn as being unfair but that doesn't change my opinion. Your comments about 1 injury plagued year ignores the fact that it was two straight injury plagued years. Be that as it may be, I did mention that I read that fact in a post here and didn't just pull it out of my butt. The post that I'm referring too (posted by X I think) talked about Jenkins and Johnson being rated in the forties and Finnegan being rated last or second to last. The fact that his horrible performance might have been due, in large part, to his injuries is immaterial to my statement.

Are you of the opinion that we should bring him back at a reduced price?

At the right price I would love to have him back.

To your other point, this horrible pre injury performance you keep referring to occurred against the likes of Week 1: Larry Fitz Week 2:Julio Jones Week 3: Dez Bryant Week 4: Justin Blackmon.

Now don't get me wrong, there is no excuse given the amount of money we were paying CF for him to not perform against anyone. I just hardly think that makes him the worst corner in the league that doesn't deserve a roster spot even at vets min. The guy didn't play well, but he was getting beat by the NFL's ELITE WR's. So to completely ignore his track record and use a 4 week span where some of the best in the business got the better of him in order to determine he is the absolute worst CB in the NFL is IMO way off base.

and just to clarify your point about it being 2 injury plagued years: While that is true this does not support your point. It would if your point was that CF has underperformed here in STL than by all means that would be spot on (clearly since we released him) but your point is that he is the worst CB in the game not worth the vets min and his 2012 season simply does not support that.

A55VA6

Legend
I'd only bring him back for vet minimum or MAYBE slightly above at this point. A lot of other teams probably feel the same, unless they really need a CB and feel Finnegan still has some production left in the tank.