Somebody sell me on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I feel like I've spent too much time trying to do that for months. I'll just make it short and sweet: High character guy who checks all the physical boxes, has outstanding pocket presence/movement/poise under pressure, ran his offense from the LOS like a NFL QB would, uber productive on a bad team, very very very accurate, and he's crazy smart (on the field and off).

Peyton Manning is the best QB I've seen play the game...and Jared Goff has Peyton Manning potential. That's how highly I think of the guy. I don't take making that comparison lightly.

I respect Jrry as a talent evaluator, though we have had our disagreements in the past, l strongly agree here. My only quibble is that you are too generous... Goff is the pick by a landslide based on film, intangibles and talent. I like Wentz, but not pick 1 and openly criticise those here who are shouting for Wentz based on the talking heads in the media. Remember, if there isn't a QB controversy there is no news and it's been a long wait until the draft. The best predictor of future success is past evidence and I agree with Jrry, Goff is one of the best prospects to come out in years, better than Winston and Marriota. If you want to be convinced why Goff is possibly in the same conversation as Manning and Luck read on, after you listen to this from one of the best coaches in college football....

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2016/...-jared-goff-lives-eats-and-breathes-football/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ery-bit-the-top-qb-prospect-in-2016-nfl-draft

I didn't think we had a cat in hells chance of drafting Goff, but now we have given up the farm, please please don't blow it Fisher and Snead... Book it, The Kid from Californian is gonna sell truck loads of no 16s and cement the Rams as LAs team

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I respect Jrry as a talent evaluator, though we have had our disagreements in the past, l strongly agree here. My only quibble is that you are too generous... Goff is the pick by a landslide based on film, intangibles and talent. I like Wentz, but not pick 1 and openly criticise those here who are shouting for Wentz based on the talking heads in the media. Remember, if there isn't a QB controversy there is no news and it's been a long wait until the draft. The best predictor of future success is past evidence and I agree with Jrry, Goff is one of the best prospects to come out in years, better than Winston and Marriota. If you want to be convinced why Goff is possibly in the same conversation as Manning and Luck read on, after you listen to this from one of the best coaches in college football....

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2016/...-jared-goff-lives-eats-and-breathes-football/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ery-bit-the-top-qb-prospect-in-2016-nfl-draft

I didn't think we had a cat in hells chance of drafting Goff, but now we have given up the farm, please please don't blow it Fisher and Snead... Book it, the will not, The Californian is gonna sell lofty loads of no 16s and cement the Rams as LAs team
Great post and welcome to the forum!! Agree 100%. Goff has been my guy I dreamed of since last years draft ended and started looking towards this years draft. Goff has intangibles that few even in the NFL have. He is going to be magic.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He's Bradford but without the cannon arm/injury history and stalled development?

I'd take that yeah. Or Matt Ryan a lot of the network guys say?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Of course I concur with The Tackle and Tron, the other side does make a compelling argument I've listened to Xs podcast and it almost bamboozled me to the other side...almost lol

Everything seems to be pointing to Wentz being the pick, from from what I can string together (not happy but ...) if the Rams actually do select Goff then move over Raiders, there will be an update to the immaculate deception

Either way I'll support whomever they choose

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think i've narrowed down my hybrid comparisons for them. potential wise.

Goff = Montana/Manning
Wentz = Newton/Luck

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Whoa, this thread blows up....
I'm watching grudens QB camp....Goff, then Wentz....Wentz looks comfortable on the board...Goff doesn't...Just saying....Anyone thinks a spread Qb just naturally projects to the pros...well....anyone that thinks that physical size doesn't translate to more durability well....and I could go on and on about arm strength and hand size but hey some guys wanna act like they just make this stuff up.

“We give the quarterback an incredible amount of responsibility and (Goff) got more than any quarterback since I’ve been coaching.

“He probably had more on his shoulders before the snap than any quarterback in the NFL.”
Hey tron, I'd call that some bs, but I see mac already did. LOL ...No way, spreads by nature...the no huddle, are just more simplified...Half-field reads...

I have never seen Wentz play, sorry, but cherry picked highlight film just doesn't cut it with me
I wanna show you some tape...not just hi-lights...good plays and bad....all of them....
and for those that think FCS is just such garbage, I'm sure some of it is...I used to think that way...But I bet his team could easily beat some FBS programs...

Do you know of any tape of Wentz getting pressured, sacked, and knocked around by defenders? ....... because I can't seem to find much.
See above...
Wish I could find one of the 2 games he lost....really the first one of the season...

Another thing on Goff ... .he has been a known "QB prodigy" going way back to his H.S. days at Marin Catholic.
Been playing QB since 7 years old....I think Wentz started out as a safety/lb in HS

openly criticise those here who are shouting for Wentz based on the talking heads in the media. Remember, if there isn't a QB controversy there is no news and it's been a long wait until the draft.
Funny.....The media was all over Wentz when Cleveland was suspected of drafting him...Now, we get the #1 pick, and all of a sudden it's Goff? REALLY!?! Too many reasons NOT to draft both of them, but I pretty much know, Les & Fish...SNISHER.....love going for the upside...Tavon, GROB, GURLEY.....why wouldn't they go upside now? The media is trying to create the controversy by making everyone believe we need to go for Goff. Then when Wentz is selected, it's some big surprise for months on Hardknocks
When have you EVER heard of a current nfl player talking about WHO a team should pick??? And Swartz' isn't even on our team....

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Hey tron, I'd call that some bs, but I see mac already did. LOL ...No way, spreads by nature...the no huddle, are just more simplified...Half-field reads...

Im not disagreeing, was just posting the quotes. Think he said that to try and show that he did more than people thought and that he just wasnt a one read QB like some and how smart he is.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If you want to see what Goff does best; accuracy, anticipation, footwork, and quick decisions... This is a very good highlight video.

Goff looks so natural. My only concern is the hand size (same size as Bridgewater, though) and arm strength. This video illustrates some of his limitation with the deep ball. But... His arm is strong enough. Just pointing out a weakness among those insane strengths.

It's clear to me that Goff is the better prospect. After seeing vids I will say accuracy matters the most, and that closes the deal.

Goff doesn't have a cannon, but his arm will get a little stronger and that's fine. His limit is 50 yards in the air. Under that he throws the ball really well. He gets the idea of throwing a receiver open.

I hope the Rams pick him. I don't want a QB selected on potential upside or what he is being projected to be or because one has superior physical traits.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Whoa, this thread blows up....
I'm watching grudens QB camp....Goff, then Wentz....Wentz looks comfortable on the board...Goff doesn't...Just saying....Anyone thinks a spread Qb just naturally projects to the pros...well....anyone that thinks that physical size doesn't translate to more durability well....and I could go on and on about arm strength and hand size but hey some guys wanna act like they just make this stuff up.

I wanna show you some tape...not just hi-lights...good plays and bad....all of them....
and for those that think FCS is just such garbage, I'm sure some of it is...I used to think that way...But I bet his team could easily beat some FBS programs...

See above...
Wish I could find one of the 2 games he lost....really the first one of the season...

Been playing QB since 7 years old....I think Wentz started out as a safety/lb in HS

Funny.....The media was all over Wentz when Cleveland was suspected of drafting him...Now, we get the #1 pick, and all of a sudden it's Goff? REALLY!?! Too many reasons NOT to draft both of them, but I pretty much know, Les & Fish...SNISHER.....love going for the upside...Tavon, GROB, GURLEY.....why wouldn't they go upside now? The media is trying to create the controversy by making everyone believe we need to go for Goff. Then when Wentz is selected, it's some big surprise for months on Hardknocks
When have you EVER heard of a current nfl player talking about WHO a team should pick??? And Swartz' isn't even on our team....

Of course Champ you know very little separates these two regarding "physical size" but being that you brought it up only one of these guys have suffered multiple injuries ( his name isn't Goff) kinda blows up your theory, no?

Let's get past that, here is one thing I would ask you and @den-the-coach; (because I respect his opinion,and he's weighed in on this)

Who would you choose between, a QB that extends plays by pulling the ball down and then running downfield,

or;

A QB that possesses an uncanny special ability to buy a couple of seconds using his feet (pocket moving) creating a lane to connect with a receiver...downfield

Aren't you just a little wary of a redshirt freshman that didn't become a starter until his junior season, missed most of his senior season and burst onto the as a potential number 1 overall selection due to a mediocre Senior Bowl and nailing the combine.

I am

Btw, thanks for the video, the guy does have potential no doubt

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
6 months ago who would you pick. Goff easily.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's get past that, here is one thing I would ask you and @den-the-coach; (because I respect his opinion,and he's weighed in on this)

Who would you choose between, a QB that extends plays by pulling the ball down and then running downfield,

or;

A QB that possesses an uncanny special ability to buy a couple of seconds using his feet (pocket moving) creating a lane to connect with a receiver...downfield

Aren't you just a little wary of a redshirt freshman that didn't become a starter until his junior season, missed most of his senior season and burst onto the as a potential number 1 overall selection due to a mediocre Senior Bowl and nailing the combine.

I am

Btw, thanks for the video, the guy does have potential no doubt

Yes, @OC--LeftCoast i am wary of a redshirt freshman that didn't become a starter until his junior just as I am wary of a QB, who played out of the shot gun and rarely audiblized and changed the play at the line of scrimmage. And the injury history is more pro Goff than Wentz as you astutely point out, but I am wary of Goff's frame and very small hands and many post that he will be able to put weight on, but he really struggled putting weight on in college.

Here is one more tidbit I can't let go, Wentz is really smart his coaches have stated that and his system at NDSCU was a far more complicated system then Cal's and Wentz ran it to perfection and although Goff had far more starts, Wentz had far more wins and I realize you have to factor programs, but to me, Wentz is a winner that jury is still out on Goff.

Now I love Goff and his pocket awareness, his accuracy and his quick feet, however, sometimes you can buy time, but have to throw the ball away, I would rather have a QB that if the play is dead can make something out of nothing, but that's just me.

Overall both have their strengths and areas of opportunities and @jrry32 likes Goff better because of his body of work and I respect his opinion greatly, but the reason I am pro Wentz is I believe he can be truly a special Quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger special and when I see Goff I see Matt Ryan, nothing wrong with that at all, but I will roll the dice on the guy who is not only bigger, faster and has superior arm strength, but also it seems that his adjustment to the next level will be quicker than Goff because of playing under center and a pro style attack and I feel that a huge advantage at the next level.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Fair enough Den, it's good we can have different perspectives, I would like to say I'm pretty sure your statement Goff rarely audiblized is unsubstantiated to say the least.

Let's hope whomever they select will the right pick

Name
Troy
I don't know enough about either player, but this out-of-nowhere hype on Wentz concerns me. Also, the fact that he could be coming out of a small school, North Dakota State nonetheless, and going straight to a big place like Los Angeles is steep, even if that's a reaching argument. I'm not one for hopping on hypetrains these days.

The little I know about either player has left me neither impressed nor unimpressed. Just gonna echo what others have said about hoping for the best. Whoever our team's front office chooses, I hope they take the league by storm, because we are starving for a winner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, @OC--LeftCoast i am wary of a redshirt freshman that didn't become a starter until his junior just as I am wary of a QB, who played out of the shot gun and rarely audiblized and changed the play at the line of scrimmage. And the injury history is more pro Goff than Wentz as you astutely point out, but I am wary of Goff's frame and very small hands and many post that he will be able to put weight on, but he really struggled putting weight on in college.

Here is one more tidbit I can't let go, Wentz is really smart his coaches have stated that and his system at NDSCU was a far more complicated system then Cal's and Wentz ran it to perfection and although Goff had far more starts, Wentz had far more wins and I realize you have to factor programs, but to me, Wentz is a winner that jury is still out on Goff.

Now I love Goff and his pocket awareness, his accuracy and his quick feet, however, sometimes you can buy time, but have to throw the ball away, I would rather have a QB that if the play is dead can make something out of nothing, but that's just me.

Overall both have their strengths and areas of opportunities and @jrry32 likes Goff better because of his body of work and I respect his opinion greatly, but the reason I am pro Wentz is I believe he can be truly a special Quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger special and when I see Goff I see Matt Ryan, nothing wrong with that at all, but I will roll the dice on the guy who is not only bigger, faster and has superior arm strength, but also it seems that his adjustment to the next level will be quicker than Goff because of playing under center and a pro style attack and I feel that a huge advantage at the next level.

You know I have a lot of respect for you, Den, but I have to disagree with your characterization of Goff's upside. Look at the two best QBs of this era, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Neither had the strongest arms or the best mobility or were the strongest or the biggest. They won with their minds and technical mastery. People always get caught up in looking at the wrong things when determining QB upside. QB upside is determined by the mental ceiling, technical ceiling, and intangible attributes more than anything once you get past the minimum physical requirements.

I also feel it's worth mentioning that Peyton Manning's offense throughout his career has often been one of the most simplistic in the NFL. They didn't try to win with a dense playbook and surprising the defense. They won with execution and Manning's ability to put them in the right play/package/protection at the LOS.

I also don't agree that Wentz has a quicker transition. He's not nearly as polished as Goff in the lower body, he doesn't yet have Goff's mental processing speed, and he didn't face the pressure that Goff did in college.

I also have to mention that the claim that Goff rarely audibled in college is incorrect. I've posted the articles before but his OC specifically speaks to that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love Wentz physical gifts, but agree w/jrry: the mental game trumps that. Big time.

Now... I'm not saying Goff>Wentz on the mental side... But I hope the Rams know the answer to that.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
He's Bradford but without the cannon arm/injury history and stalled development?

I'd take that yeah. Or Matt Ryan a lot of the network guys say?

I think he is more accurate than Bradford was in college especially on the deep ball.
not to mention the excellent pocket presence ,movement and the ability to deliver under heavy
pass rush.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's a win/win. Both QBs are likely going to be very successful.
I'm fine with either one, but I suspect Fisher has an eye on Wentz right now.