Somebody sell me on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I also don't agree that Wentz has a quicker transition. He's not nearly as polished as Goff in the lower body, he doesn't yet have Goff's mental processing speed, and he didn't face the pressure that Goff did in college.

I also have to mention that the claim that Goff rarely audibled in college is incorrect. I've posted the articles before but his OC specifically speaks to that.

Points well taken and just to clarify when Brady came into the league, he had a better ability to run and keep the chains moving in his younger years, that's why they liked him better than Bledsoe. And I'm not diminishing Goff's upside, hell, his accuracy is amazing, but that offense ran at Cal pales in comparison to the pro style offense run at NDSU.

And again I'm not Anti-Goff, I think he'll be a heck of a Quarterback, but I will take the guy who is bigger, stronger, faster and even might have a higher football acumen plus he is a great leader and when the chips are down I still would like a QB that can tuck and run to keep the chains moving, but again maybe that is because the Rams never had a QB that could do that.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think the first year will be tough on both kids. But, I see Goff with the ability to process a bit more, able to just play his role. Wentz reminds me of Bortles. He will get there but has some roughness to get past. We aren't going to have to hang our hats on whoever we choose. That will be on Gurley and the Oline. But Goff's abilities give him an edge to contribute more the first year. Wentz will go through a learning curve a bit steeper than Goff will.

And the lack of seperation most of our guys get really needs the higher level of accuratcy. Like I said before, I want someone who can get it done day 1. Not someone who might play to a higher level someday.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Not sure why some keep saying Goff is more pro ready, when at the same time they say Wentz played in a pro offense, called his own protections, and has reportedly performed better on the white board during interviews. Watching the Gruden camps for both that was re-affirmed.

Then consider Goff played in a spread never being under center and history shows that will be something that will slow his acclamation to the NFL. Plus I believe Gruden was quoted as saying Wentz is the most pro ready QB he has seen in years doing his show, at least from mental standpoint.

Then some question his level of competition. Well some questioned Kahlil Mack, coming Buffalo...how did that turn out? If you can play, you can play.

So give me the kid great intelligence, football smarts from a pro offense, AND has great size and athletic ability and great leadership skills.

Goff will likely be a good QB in the right system, but Wentz just comes off as a baller that will do well in a power attack that the Rams are building and will be very comfortable being the face of the franchise as he jyst seemed more outgoing and confident in these shows working with Gruden and Marriucci

TexasRam

Legend
Not sure why some keep saying Goff is more pro ready, when at the same time they say Wentz played in a pro offense, called his own protections, and has reportedly performed better on the white board during interviews. Watching the Gruden camps for both that was re-affirmed.

Then consider Goff played in a spread never being under center and history shows that will be something that will slow his acclamation to the NFL. Plus I believe Gruden was quoted as saying Wentz is the most pro ready QB he has seen in years doing his show, at least from mental standpoint.

Then some question his level of competition. Well some questioned Kahlil Mack, coming Buffalo...how did that turn out? If you can play, you can play.

So give me the kid great intelligence, football smarts from a pro offense, AND has great size and athletic ability and great leadership skills.

Goff will likely be a good QB in the right system, but Wentz just comes off as a baller that will do well in a power attack that the Rams are building and will be very comfortable being the face of the franchise as he jyst seemed more outgoing and confident in these shows working with Gruden and Marriucci

I would never look at outgoing as a tell tale sign of a good QB. Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers, Brady, Warner, Russell Wilson. Many more would be characterized as reserved rather than the upbeat type. I guess it depends on what you mean by outgoing.

Wentz does come across more outgoing while Goff appears to have more of that silent confidence but that says nothing about how good of a QB they will be.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They watched the film. He's much more polished mechanically and is far more advanced in the pocket.

Gruden Camp is completely meaningless. I remember when people were saying the same things you're saying now about Wentz over Goff about Jimmy Clausen over Bradford. I like Wentz FAR FAR FAR FAR more than I ever liked Clausen but trying to judge them off of Gruden Camp is a really bad idea. And claiming that Wentz is more NFL ready solely because he played in a pro style offense (also something people claimed about Clausen) isn't sound analysis.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
They watched the film. He's much more polished mechanically and is far more advanced in the pocket.

Gruden Camp is completely meaningless. I remember when people were saying the same things you're saying now about Wentz over Goff about Jimmy Clausen over Bradford. I like Wentz FAR FAR FAR FAR more than I ever liked Clausen but trying to judge them off of Gruden Camp is a really bad idea. And claiming that Wentz is more NFL ready solely because he played in a pro style offense (also something people claimed about Clausen) isn't sound analysis.

I admire your fighting the good fight jrry, I pretty much have seen eye to eye with you on this one, doing all this off an iPad sort of limits me, here's the thing, as sure as you and us "Goffr's" know we're right, the other side feels so are they, it has and will supply great reading leading up to the draft. I'll trust that Fisher and Snead have far more research than I, they'll make the right call (fingers crossed)

Man I love this shit!!!!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Clausen had Wentz's physical attributes, he might have been a good QB, but he did not. So that is a silly comparison.

rdw

Pro Bowler
I think he is more accurate than Bradford was in college especially on the deep ball.
not to mention the excellent pocket presence ,movement and the ability to deliver under heavy
pass rush.
Nice avatar :cheers:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Can someone name a college spread QB that has done well in the NFL. I know Bradford cane from a spread and was captain check diwn his 1st few years with some success, but has there been a guy to come in and light it up fairly early in his career, especially a player that was not a run threat like Newton and RG3 was?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Points well taken and just to clarify when Brady came into the league, he had a better ability to run and keep the chains moving in his younger years, that's why they liked him better than Bledsoe. And I'm not diminishing Goff's upside, hell, his accuracy is amazing, but that offense ran at Cal pales in comparison to the pro style offense run at NDSU.

And again I'm not Anti-Goff, I think he'll be a heck of a Quarterback, but I will take the guy who is bigger, stronger, faster and even might have a higher football acumen plus he is a great leader and when the chips are down I still would like a QB that can tuck and run to keep the chains moving, but again maybe that is because the Rams never had a QB that could do that.

Goff can run too. Wentz ran a 4.77 40 to Goff's 4.82 40. And Goff ran for a number of first downs in 2015 when he felt it was the right decision. He's not the runner that Wentz is but he's not immobile either.

The offense Goff ran does not pale in comparison to what Wentz ran.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
With his current build he is not going to run. He is thinner than Burger who was barely 6-3 and was about 210-215.

Now I will say my one reservation in regards to Wentz is his injury history. Can be big and physical, but still injury prone.

Not trying to kill Goff here, just think to trade everything that they have, you need a real special player and I like Wentz's upside and his almost perfect fit in this power run game offense is too good to pass on. Not sure Fisher will get Goff's full potential in this system.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Although, let me add to see Goff with time to throw and not being in that gimmick offense couldd also be special. So I am still open minded, just like the overall package that Wentz provides.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Clausen had Wentz's physical attributes, he might have been a good QB, but he did not. So that is a silly comparison.

It's not a comparison, dude. You've missed the point. Shows like Gruden QB Camp tell you nothing. Don't put stock in it. That's the point of bringing Clausen in here. People made the same assumptions you are now because of Clausen's demeanor. Trying to psychoanalyze a TV show made for entertainment isn't going to produce anything of value.

Can someone name a college spread QB that has done well in the NFL. I know Bradford cane from a spread and was captain check diwn his 1st few years with some success, but has there been a guy to come in and light it up fairly early in his career, especially a player that was not a run threat like Newton and RG3 was?

Cam Newton
Drew Brees
Joe Flacco
Andy Dalton
Derek Carr
Blake Bortles
Ben Roethlisberger
Sam Bradford
Alex Smith
Marcus Mariota

Just a few of the current guys off the top of my head.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With his current build he is not going to run. He is thinner than Burger who was barely 6-3 and was about 210-215.

I bet he'll still run. And he'll do the smart thing and slide or get out of bounds.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
My point was you were saying Clausen being out going meant nothing.... well it meant nothing because he was not physically talented enough, it had nothing to do with his demeanor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point was you were saying Clausen being out going meant nothing.... well it meant nothing because he was not physically talented enough, it had nothing to do with his demeanor.

No, it meant nothing because it meant nothing. Being outgoing doesn't make you a better QB. Gruden QB Camp can be an entertaining watch but it doesn't tell you anything of value.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
So if being interviewed and being but on the white board means nothing, then why do teams do that with these guys? Not saying his personality is the end all be all, I just liked what I saw from Wentz. Seems to have more charisma and again overall seems to be more prepared from the mental standpoint at this time. Just my observation and based on what others have said.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if being interviewed and being but on the white board means nothing, then why do teams do that with these guys? Not saying his personality is the end all be all, I just liked what I saw from Wentz. Seems to have more charisma and again overall seems to be more prepared from the mental standpoint at this time. Just my observation and based on what others have said.

Because they get to sit in on the meeting and conduct it. Not watch a cut up version on TV.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think he's going for the upside this time. He doesn't have time. He probably or should be looking at the guy who can help right now. You don't pay that price for a player with "potential". Fisher's job is probably on the line here.

Since one of the absolute key things to succeeding as a QB in the NFL is the ability to read defenses prior to the snap and make play adjustments as you get to the line, in fact arguably once a QB gets to a certain physical level it is the top factor determining success, and that is an area where Wentz has experience and Goff doesn't, it sounds like you're saying they should draft Wentz.