Somebody sell me on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
I've been a Rams fan since Roman Gabriel days, so I've seen more than my share of scrub quarterbacks wearing the horns. In all those years I have been impressed with John Hadl, Jim Everett and of course Kurt Warner. As I look at this draft now I'm thinking big, strong, tall QB, that's Wentz. As I watch clips of Goff I see a small guy with happy feet throwing the ball aimlessly. Certainly seems like there are more Goff supporters than Wentz, why? What are you all seeing that I don't?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I've been a Rams fan since Roman Gabriel days, so I've seen more than my share of scrub quarterbacks wearing the horns. In all those years I have been impressed with John Hadl, Jim Everett and of course Kurt Warner. As I look at this draft now I'm thinking big, strong, tall QB, that's Wentz. As I watch clips of Goff I see a small guy with happy feet throwing the ball aimlessly. Certainly seems like there are more Goff supporters than Wentz, why? What are you all seeing that I don't?

Those happy feet you see, those are Peyton Manning feet, not "Oh shit, I'm scared I'm going to be sacked" feet.

Aimlessly? If by that you mean accurate as hell and drop dimes like they are coming off a conveyor belt then yes. Watch his bowl game.

Wentz is a big strong tall QB? Yea, great size, and he can run when pressured. Goff buys time and passes instead of running at signs of trouble. Also goff isn't small. Goff is 6'4 215 lbs. And will gain weight. Not small.

Wentz had a bigger injury history than goff(none) as well, and started less games than him.

So goff is an inch shorter and 20lbs lighter. No biggy. Goff has the amazing footwork and ball placement. He ran the offense and called audibles.

Wentz was on a team that would win the championship without him. look up how many 200 and 300 yard games he had and pass attempts, it's not many. He wasn't asked to do much. Goff was asked to do it all.

Goff is going to be amazing. And I pray the Rams take him.

I don't hate wentz and would be ok if they picked him, I just think Goff is far superior.

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep in mind happy feet was the way they described Peyton Manning (y)

That being said. When I watch goff I see an extremely intelligent Quarterback with the ability to read and dissect the entire field very quickly, look off defenders and deliver the ball with extraordinary accuracy and touch.

The most exciting thing to me when evaluation goff is the way he senses pressure while keeping his eyes downfield and can maneuver in the pocket as well as anyone I've seen. He gets the ball out extremely quickly and leads receivers before they are even in their break.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

That being said. When I watch goff I see an extremely intelligent Quarterback with the ability to read and dissect the entire field very quickly, look off defenders and deliver the ball with extraordinary accuracy and touch.

The most exciting thing to me when evaluation goff is the way he senses pressure while keeping his eyes downfield and can maneuver in the pocket as well as anyone I've seen. He gets the ball out extremely quickly and leads receivers before they are even in their break.
Don't forget he places the ball where only his WR can get it most of the time!!!! +1 for your post btw!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Being a NorCal resident and a BIG Cal fan ( been to many, many games and have seen all the QB's live) I can tell you one thing about Goff..... kid does NOT get rattled. Throws a pick .... shakes it off and keeps throwing it. Takes a sack .... gets back up and stands in the pocket. Watch his eyes and facial expressions ... he never changes. Kid has got moxey!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

He has those things that you really can't teach, pocket awareness, and anticipation. Dude is also a baller, who never gives up in a game, seen him get the crap beat out of him, and he just keeps getting up, and throwing impossible throws in tight coverage.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
He has those things that you really can't teach, pocket awareness, and anticipation. Dude is also a baller, who never gives up in a game, seen him get the crap beat out of him, and he just keeps getting up, and throwing impossible throws in tight coverage.
He also didn't have the luxury that prior Cal QB's have had .... a good running game. Lasko was .. meh , but compared to what Boller, Rodgers, Ayoob, Maynard, Kline, Longshore...Riley ... they all had great RB's to compliment them ... Arrington, Lynch, Best, Forsett, Vereen .... those guys could tote the rock!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He also didn't have the luxury that prior Cal QB's have had .... a good running game. Lasko was .. meh , but compared to what Boller, Rodgers, Ayoob, Maynard, Kline, Longshore...Riley ... they all had great RB's to compliment them ... Arrington, Lynch, Best, Forsett, Vereen .... those guys could tote the rock!
All true.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Most important thing in a QB is accuracy. Goff is extremely accurate even when he's got rushers in his face. Feet and pocket awareness are key too. Goff great at both, his shuffle is manning-esque in allowing him to throw the ball at any point. Quick release too. Dude just has everything you want in a QB.

Wentz has the size you want, the arm, the natural mobility, tireless worker, great leader, etc. For those reasons he's probably the guy the Rams want for a "fit" to be a play action passer.

Basically IMO: IF Rams want to open up their offense Goff is the guy. If they want to go heavy play action have that power offense they've been trying to implement it's probably Wentz. Money is on Wentz probably being the guy, I have to admit it, even though I like Goff better. Wentz is the type of QB you'd see in a Steelers uni. Fish is probably gaga over him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I feel like I've spent too much time trying to do that for months. I'll just make it short and sweet: High character guy who checks all the physical boxes, has outstanding pocket presence/movement/poise under pressure, ran his offense from the LOS like a NFL QB would, uber productive on a bad team, very very very accurate, and he's crazy smart (on the field and off).

Peyton Manning is the best QB I've seen play the game...and Jared Goff has Peyton Manning potential. That's how highly I think of the guy. I don't take making that comparison lightly.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I feel like I've spent too much time trying to do that for months. I'll just make it short and sweet: High character guy who checks all the physical boxes, has outstanding pocket presence/movement/poise under pressure, ran his offense from the LOS like a NFL QB would, uber productive on a bad team, very very very accurate, and he's crazy smart (on the field and off).

Peyton Manning is the best QB I've seen play the game...and Jared Goff has Peyton Manning potential. That's how highly I think of the guy. I don't take making that comparison lightly.
I know man, just breaking your balls.

I'd be thrilled with either guy. We get better. We get better.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Y'all have got me extremely torn between Wentz and Goff. I really didn't think the Rams had a shot at either of them so I haven't been paying either much mind. Now, they have the pick of the litter. I'm just enjoying the new direction at the moment and have my fingers crossed.

TexasRam

Legend
Wentz has a career-high of 335 passing yards in a game where Goff averaged 330 yards per game in his career. So while playing against so-so competition, a career day for Wentz was an average day for Goff.

While Wentz looks awesome in t-shirts and shorts, Goff has shown he’s more accurate and better under pressure vs greater competition. Pro Football Focus rates Goff No. 6 in accuracy rate under pressure and No. 7 in accuracy percentage on deep passes in this draft class. Meanwhile Wentz is rated No. 29 on deep passes (20+ yards) and No. 27 in accuracy percentage when pressured.