Somebody sell me on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I was among those who wanted Matthews over GRob for the same reason. I just wonder how many members here on the Wentz Wagon also wanted mr high ceiling questionable experience GRob ( just curious)
This big time. I've had it up to here w/ the "potential" thing. Give me a guy that can get it done day 1. Not someone who might get there someday. Our team is now. We need production now. Not somewhere down the road.......maybe.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I didn't know this until earlier.

More physically mature? Works to his advantage.

Otherwise this is kind of a huge advantage Goff.
I believe it is.
It raised both eyebrows when I heard it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kurt Warner expressed my thoughts best,,,He said that he is tired of hearing about a guy's potential (Wentz), especially since they ever realize that potential. Warner said that Goff's mechanics are extremely good, he's accurate.......Goff has to be the guy

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kurt Warner expressed my thoughts best,,,He said that he is tired of hearing about a guy's potential (Wentz), especially since they ever realize that potential. Warner said that Goff's mechanics are extremely good, he's accurate.......Goff has to be the guy

Warner also said that Colin Kaepernick was ready for a huge year in 2015....I don't disagree with Warner's assessment on Goff, he's very accurate, but IMO, slight build and Wentz has taken far more snaps under center as Goff did more in the shot gun....Wentz is bigger, stronger, faster and just as smart!

tempests

Hall of Fame

Odd coming from him....he wasn't a finished product when he got to the NFL either.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
Keep in mind happy feet was the way they described Peyton Manning (y)

That being said. When I watch goff I see an extremely intelligent Quarterback with the ability to read and dissect the entire field very quickly, look off defenders and deliver the ball with extraordinary accuracy and touch.

The most exciting thing to me when evaluation goff is the way he senses pressure while keeping his eyes downfield and can maneuver in the pocket as well as anyone I've seen. He gets the ball out extremely quickly and leads receivers before they are even in their break.
This is the most I have read about Goff. If he's as accurate as you say, Tavon and Welker will be almost unstoppable. That opens up all kinds of stuff for Gurley and Britt. Usually the guy that's the most spoken of immediately after the college fb season is over proves to be the best of the group. That's Goff. Wentz became popular afterwards, people trying to find the qb that's better. Thanks for the info.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
A lot of people think that Fisher wants Wentz, but it doesn't have to be Wentz, and for so many reasons.

I know, there's always Robinson and Quick, but this is the first overall, and they traded a lot for it, so it's very likely that they'll value the sure thing more here.

Honestly, this is the move that could very well extend Fisher's tenure with the Rams and his legacy in general. He wants this, believe me.

Then there are those who say he doesn't want to change, he wants to win with big defense. I don't think that's true. Fisher inherited a team that was missing a lot of pieces, but not quarterback. He knew he could fix the defense, but he wanted to at least have a quarterback in place, and he didn't want to wait for draft picks on the offensive line to develop either, so he signed free agents there.

Then there's Shottenheimer. Look, I was a Chiefs fan before the Rams came to St. Louis. Brian is not Marty nor did he ever want to be his father. He had big ideas and Fisher not only drafted and signed the players he wanted, but also gave him a surprising amount of rope with that spread offense that failed so badly.

They even spent a ton of picks on wide receivers. It's crazy how much this team has invested in the offense when you consider how poor the results were. Seriously, if you think that Fisher can't or won't change, just look at the chance they took on Tavon Austin. I mean, sure he loves him some special teams, but that pick was obviously more about the offense.

Finally, there's the copycat mentality. Even I've seen them try and fail to implement systems that have had success. They even attempted no huddle more last year as another tool to score earlier so that they could lean on that rushing attack. Make no mistake about it, if they can add a running back with the ability to score a touchdown every time he touches the ball to an offense like the Seahawks, they'll do it.

I will give everyone this, Fisher wants ball control. That won't change. But I'm telling you that he doesn't care how that gets done. If that means striking quick and early, so be it. Heck, they'll even take chances on special teams or show their hand there more often to get that quick start. Points are good, everyone knows that. Making the opposition more predictable is good. Whatever option they think gives them the best chance there is good.

Myself, I just want the guy with the fastest mental CPU. It's obvious that defending the pass is all about pressure these days. Love or hate him, I think that's what really set Manning apart, his ability to read plays and make adjustments.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
No matter how you feel you have to believe that whoever we pick our team and future will be a hell of a lot brighter.
Both of these kids have way more talent and upside than anything we have on the roster today or for that matter the last 10 years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just wonder how many members here on the Wentz Wagon also wanted mr high ceiling questionable experience GRob ( just curious)
I wanted GRob over Matthews...Nothing I've seen since would change that...Just the hardknocks episode of Matthews getting manhandled by JJ Watt made me breathe a sigh of relief. You take the physical specimen....GRob will be fine. Matthews will be a better zone blocker...As far as mauler, hole opener, and blindside protector I'm going with Greg R.
Goff is pretty special under pressure...I worry about this because of his slight frame. He'll move around in the pocket, find receivers, but will probably get hit in the pros.
Fisher's offense needs a smart QB....That can manage a game. And throw the deep ball to loosen up the box for Gurley. If we fail to grab Wentz, it may be a huge mistake. He's already familiar with pro-style reads, pro-style terminology, checks/audibles, and setting his protections. He's been under center. And while he's been injured, he still appears more rugged & sturdy. Dude didn't throw for a bunch of yards but that's just the nature of his offense. Seemed like Cal threw every play...and he was under pressure on a bunch of them....

TexasRam

Legend
I like the way you think but is fisher looking at passing QBs like that? Now compare their running stats. Goff is -114 yards? To Wentz 4.8 YPC?

Wentz has Goff beat on running. Can't argue that. But two points to consider:

1 Will Wentz be able to run on the NFL defenses like he did in the Missouri Valley conference, from which no NFL players come. His team was superior in every way to the competition he played. Not to hard to run for 4.8 ypc in that scenario.

2 Do you want a pocket passer or running QB? This is not 275 Cam Newton or 4.4 Michael Vick. This is 4.77 Wentz running vs NFL players that hit at the highest level and run 4.4's.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I wanted GRob over Matthews...Nothing I've seen since would change that...Just the hardknocks episode of Matthews getting manhandled by JJ Watt made me breathe a sigh of relief. You take the physical specimen....GRob will be fine. Matthews will be a better zone blocker...As far as mauler, hole opener, and blindside protector I'm going with Greg R.
Goff is pretty special under pressure...I worry about this because of his slight frame. He'll move around in the pocket, find receivers, but will probably get hit in the pros.
Fisher's offense needs a smart QB....That can manage a game. And throw the deep ball to loosen up the box for Gurley. If we fail to grab Wentz, it may be a huge mistake. He's already familiar with pro-style reads, pro-style terminology, checks/audibles, and setting his protections. He's been under center. And while he's been injured, he still appears more rugged & sturdy. Dude didn't throw for a bunch of yards but that's just the nature of his offense. Seemed like Cal threw every play...and he was under pressure on a bunch of them....

I sounds like you're saying that we moved up for a game manager, who is 2 inches and 20 pounds bigger than an elite QB who throws nothing but dimes.

A55VA6

Legend
The thing i'm worried about with Goff is his size and durability. Goff is a little lighter than I like at QB.

Wentz reminds me of Alex Smith and Goff reminds me of Matthew Stafford.

So take your pick, I guess.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The thing i'm worried about with Goff is his size and durability. Goff is a little lighter than I like at QB.

And I think in our division specifically, Wentz has the mobility for his size that could make a big difference.
I won't complain either way though. They both are very talented.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
This thread alone has convinced me that Goff is the one I want.

The only problem is there'll be another thread that convinces me that Wentz is the man. And I'll go back and forth like this for the next two weeks.

Having said that, the Robinson/Matthews comparison is an interesting one. Snisher went for "upside" over "NFL-ready" when taking Robinson over Matthews so does that mean a similar approach will be taken now? At this point, I hope not because, as of 12:12pm British summer time on Friday 15th April, I want Goff.
I don't think he's going for the upside this time. He doesn't have time. He probably or should be looking at the guy who can help right now. You don't pay that price for a player with "potential". Fisher's job is probably on the line here.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Goff had a bad line and he got hit a bunch and was never injured. Goff can also add weight. The coaches at Cal didnt really ask him to hit the weights or gain weight during his time at Cal.
Wentz had a good line in the FCS and wasn't sacked much but still got injured and had to have surgery and miss half the season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I sounds like you're saying that we moved up for a game manager, who is 2 inches and 20 pounds bigger than an elite QB who throws nothing but dimes.
Not exactly....we'll only require him to manage games in 2016...Goff will only manage games for us in 2016.....I see a more durable player, probably a smarter player that has more pro-style experience as far as calls & audibles. Goff is a gunslinger....and while he's had more success, I see the arm strength thing as pushing Wentz past him in terms of talent. The tighter windows in the NFL are not as forgiving as college.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'll go on record as saying there is just no freaking way the Rams pass on Goff, the price for failure is just too disasterous to even contemplate, thru my eyes Goff is the safe pick, the smart pick.

I was among those who wanted Matthews over GRob for the same reason. I just wonder how many members here on the Wentz Wagon also wanted mr high ceiling questionable experience GRob ( just curious)

We can debate this for the next two weeks, I'm not going to, time will reveal soon enough

I banged the drum for Matthews too over Grob but we took a shot at Grob who shot up the draft charts last second while Mathews dropped.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...16-nfl-draft-rams-titans-trade-impact-winners

There are a lot of things that go into being a quarterback which can be taught, but accuracy tends not to be one of them. Goff is so far ahead on ball placement and touch I think that alone sets him ahead of Wentz. Goff’s got a quicker release, doesn’t stare down his targets like Wentz does, and is calmer under pressure. All those things are going to be especially magnified as Wentz has an additional gap in level of competition to deal with in transitioning from college to the pros.

It’s not that I dislike Wentz (he’d be sooo much better off going to the Cowboys and redshirting), but in terms of a guy who you want to come in and make your team a contender in the next couple of years, your guy is Goff. And it’s pretty straightforward; he’s more polished, more cerebral, a better arm talent, has a better feel for the pocket.

Wentz has major issues with timing, staring down receivers, spotty accuracy, lack of touch, not to mention lack of experience and the fact that he’s going to have to learn a pro offense from the very beginning and gets jittery under pressure. Since this trade came out I’ve gone back and watched tape of both of them, and my gut is telling me that if the Rams pick Wentz over Goff, they’re making a huge mistake.