Some thoughts on Kroenke as an owner...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamzFanz

Damnit
By the way, I think Stan is the perfect owner for LA. Who else would build what he is building?

What STL thought we had, because of his own statements and commitments, was a local owner who wanted the team here and was more interested in a STL NFL team, for his home state and pride in where he came from, than just making as much as he could off them. That's his own doing for selling himself that way and then doing nothing. But that IS his history and it can't be rewritten.

bluecoconuts

Legend
He was slightly emotional that he was approved to move to LA after the vote. I'd be emotional too if my NFL team just doubled in value.

You saw him walking around the locker room and watching the games? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I sure didn't. I never saw him at TC or the draft either. I mean, when he wasn't in LA pretending the Dallas TCs with his biggest ally was a coincidence. Did you? Have you ever heard him just talk football?

His statement about Sam, not letter, has every earmark of an emotionless statement written by someone else with zero personal insight or relationship with that person.

"Throughout his five years with the Rams, Sam has been a consummate professional,” Rams Owner E. Stanley Kroenke said. “We thank Sam for his dedication to our team and community and wish him and his family the best moving forward."

That pretty much sums up his emotion.

He went to every game, JT has reported that he has gone into the lockerroom and such.

In terms of the Draft... Well I don't see Jeff Fisher or Les Snead at the draft either, they're back in the war room. Either way, Stan not being in the draft room is probably for the best, let the football guys make the football decisions. I don't give a shit about hearing Stan Kroenke talk football, because he's not our GM or our coach, I care about the decisions those guys are making, because they effect our team. I care about what Demoff says about our team because he has an active role in it. I could never see or hear Kroenke again and I wouldn't care at all... Just like I don't care about what Phil Anschutz says about the LA Kings... I care about what Sutter or Blake or Lombardi say, because they're the ones building and coaching the team.

As for training camp, you already mentioned the Dallas camp, here he is at Rams Park:

176479318-st-louis-rams-owner-stan-kroenke-watches-the-gettyimages.jpg

St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke watches the team practice on Tuesday, August 13, 2013, at Rams Park in Earth City, Missouri.

I also don't think that Stan is some perfect owner who can do nothing wrong.. I honestly don't give two shits about what he does or says as long as he writes checks. I just don't think he's a bad owner because he doesn't get super involved in the daily decision making of the team. He lets those who know more handle things. Demoff has more to do with the direction of the team than Stan does.. Yes, ultimately the buck stops at Stan, and he'll replace everyone, including Kevin, if he thinks he needs to, but at this point he doesn't think that and I agree. Fisher and Snead may be nearing the end of their rope, but we'll pass that bridge when we get there.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think Stan does care and he does get emotional.

His eyes teared up while giving a speech at the Forum a couple of week back.

Also according to Sam Farmer, he started crying while giving an interview to the LA Times.

Emotional as a Rams fan or emotional about getting what he wanted and having this opportunity after a long process with strong opposition? I see no evidence of the former. I could be wrong, but I can't ever remember the mostly absent Kroenke talking about the Rams other than as a product line he owns.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He went to every game, JT has reported that he has gone into the lockerroom and such.

In terms of the Draft... Well I don't see Jeff Fisher or Les Snead at the draft either, they're back in the war room. Either way, Stan not being in the draft room is probably for the best, let the football guys make the football decisions. I don't give a crap about hearing Stan Kroenke talk football, because he's not our GM or our coach, I care about the decisions those guys are making, because they effect our team. I care about what Demoff says about our team because he has an active role in it. I could never see or hear Kroenke again and I wouldn't care at all... Just like I don't care about what Phil Anschutz says about the LA Kings... I care about what Sutter or Blake or Lombardi say, because they're the ones building and coaching the team.

As for training camp, you already mentioned the Dallas camp, here he is at Rams Park:

176479318-st-louis-rams-owner-stan-kroenke-watches-the-gettyimages.jpg

St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke watches the team practice on Tuesday, August 13, 2013, at Rams Park in Earth City, Missouri.

I also don't think that Stan is some perfect owner who can do nothing wrong.. I honestly don't give two shits about what he does or says as long as he writes checks. I just don't think he's a bad owner because he doesn't get super involved in the daily decision making of the team. He lets those who know more handle things. Demoff has more to do with the direction of the team than Stan does.. Yes, ultimately the buck stops at Stan, and he'll replace everyone, including Kevin, if he thinks he needs to, but at this point he doesn't think that and I agree. Fisher and Snead may be nearing the end of their rope, but we'll pass that bridge when we get there.

Dude, way off point. A TC visit years ago? Showing up for a game or two doesn't mean you're a fan of your team or even a fan of the NFL. Nor does an occasional locker room visit. I never said we wanted to hear him talk football, but if he's a fan, you would think he would on occasion, no? I also never said I wanted him making football decisions. I would want to know he was very interested and emotionally involved in winning though. I've never seen that from him.

He went to every game? Really? I've personally never seen him at one on the big screen or TV. You sure?

I'm not slamming Kronke, there's nothing wrong with business people running a business, but if people want to say he's something he's not, like he's some big Rams fan or all about LA because he loves LA, I'm not letting him slide. He makes false statements and he's not shown much interest in the team as a team. He helped take the Rams from LA for more profit and he's moving them back for more profit.

“I believe my actions speak for themselves,” - Stan Kroenke 2010

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Dude, way off point. A TC visit years ago? Showing up for a game or two doesn't mean you're a fan of your team or even a fan of the NFL. Nor does an occasional locker room visit. I never said we wanted to hear him talk football, but if he's a fan, you would think he would on occasion, no? I also never said I wanted him making football decisions. I would want to know he was very interested and emotionally involved in winning though. I've never seen that from him.

He went to every game? Really? I've personally never seen him at one on the big screen or TV. You sure?

I'm not slamming Kronke, there's nothing wrong with business people running a business, but if people want to say he's something he's not, like he's some big Rams fan or all about LA because he loves LA, I'm not letting him slide. He makes false statements and he's not shown much interest in the team as a team. He helped take the Rams from LA for more profit and he's moving them back for more profit.

JT was constantly saying he saw him talking to other owners, or was in the house on twitter... In terms of talking about football, I don't see him making press conferences talking about money either, but we are all pretty certain he likes that.. Just because someone doesn't shove themselves into the spotlight to gush over something it doesn't mean they're not a fan.

I think he's invested in winning, he spent a lot of money on the Rams since taking over as full ownership, and while it hasn't paid of yet, they're a lot closer than they were before... The talent we have on our roster from before is night and day.

RamzFanz

Damnit
JT was constantly saying he saw him talking to other owners, or was in the house on twitter... In terms of talking about football, I don't see him making press conferences talking about money either, but we are all pretty certain he likes that.. Just because someone doesn't shove themselves into the spotlight to gush over something it doesn't mean they're not a fan.

I think he's invested in winning, he spent a lot of money on the Rams since taking over as full ownership, and while it hasn't paid of yet, they're a lot closer than they were before... The talent we have on our roster from before is night and day.

I agree. He's dropped some money in the team he owns and benefits from and as Rams fans, that's better than not.

Meeting owners at a stadium, owners who he needed to vote his way, in no way means he watched the game or is even a fan of the game. I don't get the insistence of trying to portray him as something he's never shown himself to be. His absence from Rams games, Rams charity events, and other Rams events has been noted in the media for half a decade.

Look Blue, you can love the Rams in LA, you can love the new stadium, but Kroenke is who he is. He said one thing and then immediately disappeared and did the complete opposite. He has also almost never been an active participant in anything Rams. That's what he did. It's historical fact.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I agree. He's dropped some money in the team he owns and benefits from and as Rams fans, that's better than not.

Meeting owners at a stadium, owners who he needed to vote his way, in no way means he watched the game or is even a fan of the game. I don't get the insistence of trying to portray him as something he's never shown himself to be. His absence from Rams games, Rams charity events, and other Rams events has been noted in the media for half a decade.

Look Blue, you can love the Rams in LA, you can love the new stadium, but Kroenke is who he is. He said one thing and then immediately disappeared and did the complete opposite. He has also almost never been an active participant in anything Rams. That's what he did. It's historical fact.

You're being inconsistent simply because you want to make him into a bad guy. First he doesn't go to games, when I pointed out he does, now he's not watching them? What is he doing for three hours, looking out a window towards the field, picking his nose? Then you say again that he's absent from games...

I don't give two shits about the Rams in LA, or the Rams in Inglewood... Is the stadium nice? Yes, it'll be the best stadium in the NFL by far when completed.. Will it change my life? Not even remotely. I have 6-7 months left in LA, I'll be lucky if I even make it to a preseason game. I could care less if Kroenke sold the team right now, I could care less where they play.. In the end Kroenke did exactly what I expected him to do, he made a business decision, and based it off of what was in front of him and what happened previously. He didn't like the actions of the city, he didn't like what they offered up instead, he left. Am I going to sit and pretend that he's Mr Burns trying to block out the sun so he can make more money? Am I going to pretend like he sat around laughing at various St Louis fans and articles because he was working on relocating? No.

Yes it is fact that Kroenke said that he was going to try to keep the Rams in St Louis.. Yes it is fact that he moved them to LA... It's also fact that he offered a plan to keep the Rams in the EJD, and that he said he wanted a building that could bring new events to St Louis, such as Final Fours.. It's also a fact that the CVC/City said no to his plans, waited around for months doing nothing until he made another move to leave, and then offered up a solution that did not bring said events to St Louis. Kroenke isn't blameless, neither is the city. In the end nobody did anything shocking. The businessman made a business decision, the politicians played politics, the little people lost.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I get the hard feelings when it comes to Stan. I do. Anyone with a pulse does. But I also think it is silly to think the man does not have a genuine love for and desire to see this team win more championships. This move and this stadium are a testament of what he wants the Rams to be. A high profile winner. Of course he wants to make money on his investment...what would you call a man who doesn't?? An idiot.

The way I see it, this team (and the new stadium), above all of his other business ventures, represent his legacy. I have no doubt that he will do everything in his power to see that the product on the field matches the surroundings. The NFL is hard guys, if it were all about the $, the Shithawks, would win every Superbowl. This team is finally where and what he wanted it to be. Let us see where it goes from here.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Let's be honest here folks... Kronkoe really doesn't care about the Rams, or else he would be more involved.
Would you rather have Jerry Jones as the Owner of the Rams!? He's a more involved Owner!!
I personally wouldn't!! I prefer an Owner who hires the right people and then stays the hell out of the way!! JMHO

RamzFanz

Damnit
First he doesn't go to games, when I pointed out he does, now he's not watching them?

No Blue, you said he went to every game and then justified that statement with a supposed random JT tweet that he met with an owner at a game. I can't remember a single shot of Kroenke at a game after taking ownership. I do recall many reports that he was not present. It's not scientific, but I do not believe he attended many games. You assume he stayed, I do not. I have no reason to.

In the end Kroenke did exactly what I expected him to do, he made a business decision

And there we have it. He sold STL on wanting the team here and doing everything he could to make that happen, and he didn't. You see it as a business decision and I see it as deception to get what he wanted when he wanted it.

Kronke made a great business move. He bought a team with a lease he knew they couldn't live up to, he made statements he knew he could never be held to live up to, he compromised on just $700 million in improvements from tax dollars, and he engineered a huge profit for himself all along the way with a massive balloon payment at the end.

THAT doesn't make him a FAN of the Rams or NFL. His detached maneuvering in defiance of his own words ARE his actions.

"I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis." Stan Kroenke 2010

It's really simple Blue, did he? You do realise he offered nothing to keep them here, right?

Yes, yes they do. Stan Kroenke made it possible for the Rams to move away from LA for profit and now people want to act like he's LA's benevolent benefactor and some huge Rams or LA fan just because they got what they wanted. His actions speak for themselves Blue, not random JT tweets of a rumor Kroenke is in the building somewhere maybe.

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
This move and this stadium are a testament of what he wants the Rams to be. A high profile winner.

Any team that won the Super Bowl would be a high profile winner no matter what city they were in.

This franchise relocation is only testament to the business opportunity that presented itself. Stan owning his own shiny new stadium and relocating to the second largest market likely means the Rams will be among if not the most profitable franchise in football.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He put out a personal letter about Sam Bradford when we traded him, and he was pretty emotional when discussing the Rams relocation back to LA. I think people assume that due to him staying out of the spotlight he doesn't care/know about the team, but it appears to not be the case. Kroenke is a pretty sharp guy, seems to be more connected than not. He's walking around the lockerroom and watching the games every Sunday, why wouldn't he know the team?

I think you are overestimating his "emotional" attachment to the team, and by a whole lot.

And he was rarely at Rams games by the way and I can't remember a time when he went into the locker room and a reporter mentioned it, maybe it happened but it wasn't often that's for sure.

deleted

@BuiltRamTough who do you know that knows Kroenke and says nice things about him? He's been sued several times by people who entered into deals with him. And I'd bet you money that SKahn wouldn't say many nice things about him.

In retrospect it's too bad for STL that Kahn didn't end up with the Rams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any team that won the Super Bowl would be a high profile winner no matter what city they were in.

This franchise relocation is only testament to the business opportunity that presented itself. Stan owning his own shiny new stadium and relocating to the second largest market likely means the Rams will be among if not the most profitable franchise in football.
That is your opinion, and that's fine. I respectfully disagree however. A Super Bowl winning team in St. Louis does not equal a Super Bowl or even playoff caliber team in LA. As you stated, LA is the second largest market in the country. With that comes MUCH more scrutiny. Stan has an ego, I think we can all agree on that. Why would he want anything other than success on a stage this big?? Of course he wants to make money. We get it. He would be fool NOT to want return on his investment. To think he doesn't want the spoils and admiration of owning a WINNING team in this market is absurd.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No Blue, you said he went to every game and then justified that statement with a supposed random JT tweet that he met with an owner at a game. I can't remember a single shot of Kroenke at a game after taking ownership. I do recall many reports that he was not present. It's not scientific, but I do not believe he attended many games. You assume he stayed, I do not. I have no reason to.

And there we have it. He sold STL on wanting the team here and doing everything he could to make that happen, and he didn't. You see it as a business decision and I see it as deception to get what he wanted when he wanted it.

Kronke made a great business move. He bought a team with a lease he knew they couldn't live up to, he made statements he knew he could never be held to live up to, he compromised on just $700 million in improvements from tax dollars, and he engineered a huge profit for himself all along the way with a massive balloon payment at the end.

THAT doesn't make him a FAN of the Rams or NFL. His detached maneuvering in defiance of his own words ARE his actions.

"I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis." Stan Kroenke 2010

It's really simple Blue, did he? You do realise he offered nothing to keep them here, right?

Yes, yes they do. Stan Kroenke made it possible for the Rams to move away from LA for profit and now people want to act like he's LA's benevolent benefactor and some huge Rams or LA fan just because they got what they wanted. His actions speak for themselves Blue, not random JT tweets of a rumor Kroenke is in the building somewhere maybe.

And he said "I'm not leading the charge out of STL" when in fact we now know he was doing just that as soon as he owned all of the team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone else getting tired of reading about Kroenke?

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
In retrospect it's too bad for STL that Kahn didn't end up with the Rams.

Agreed. But would it have been better for the TEAM? Kahn isn't lighting the world on fire with his Jaguars after all.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That is your opinion, and that's fine. I respectfully disagree however. A Super Bowl winning team in St. Louis does not equal a Super Bowl or even playoff caliber team in LA. As you stated, LA is the second largest market in the country. With that comes MUCH more scrutiny. Stan has an ego, I think we can all agree on that. Why would he want anything other than success on a stage this big?? Of course he wants to make money. We get it. He would be fool NOT to want return on his investment. To think he doesn't want the spoils and admiration of owning a WINNING team in this market is absurd.

Well why doesn't he want success for his other teams?

Scrutiny doesn't mean a damn thing. If it did CLE would be producing winning teams every year. That team is as much a part of the fabric of that town as the Packers are in GB..........and the media cuts NO slack. But they aren't winning. Scrutiny doesn't mean a thing or the Jets and Giants would be dominant.....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agreed. But would it have been better for the TEAM? Kahn isn't lighting the world on fire with his Jaguars after all.

If you think moving to LA is going to create wins by osmosis you are forgetting the history of the team we both love.

This myth that moving to LA will improve the team is hilarious...........and so off base.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I get the hard feelings when it comes to Stan. I do. Anyone with a pulse does. But I also think it is silly to think the man does not have a genuine love for and desire to see this team win more championships. This move and this stadium are a testament of what he wants the Rams to be. A high profile winner. Of course he wants to make money on his investment...what would you call a man who doesn't?? An idiot.

The way I see it, this team (and the new stadium), above all of his other business ventures, represent his legacy. I have no doubt that he will do everything in his power to see that the product on the field matches the surroundings. The NFL is hard guys, if it were all about the $, the Shithawks, would win every Superbowl. This team is finally where and what he wanted it to be. Let us see where it goes from here.

I agree he's spent money on the Rams, he's about to spend a fortune, it may help the team, and it's a good business decision. His maneuvering since day one has been immaculate.

Of course he wants a high profile winner. Winners sell tickets. But I would also bet he would happily take a high profile profit maker and live with 8-8 for the rest of his life.

I hope the Rams do great. I hope the stadium is great. I hope we get a great QB.

Where I don't agree is this somehow transforms him into some big Rams fan or an honest person. He's not. Not if we judge him based on his own words.

Status
Not open for further replies.