Some thoughts on Kroenke as an owner...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I know that my opinion on Kroenke as an owner is probably a minority opinion. And that I'll take some flak for it.

But please try to consider the following with an open mind.

He is a non interfering owner. That's a GM and HC's dream.
He willingly pays his HC top dollar.
He has deep pockets and doesn't skimp on asst coaches salaries, etc, either.
He's building a fabulous stadium in sunny SoCal which might assist in attracting FA's.
His team spends right up to the cap.
His hire of Demoff makes cap management a non problem in retaining most FA's. A huge boost for the GM and HC.

His Achilles heel as an owner, IMO? He made a mistake with the Fisher hire. He wanted to install a "Patriot Way" FO. The efficiency and longevity were very enticing, no doubt.

The problem is that Fisher is no Bellichek. Fisher has a huge hole in his O game strategy. Not to mention stubbornness and inflexibility issues.

So, while he may not be my favorite person, Kroenke gets high marks from me regarding his overall ownership philosophies from the pov of Ram fans and future HC candidates.

As an aside, I seriously doubt that Fisher would have lasted this long with any other owner.

Other opinions may vary. Lol.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
All of that may be true - but he has a very distinct history of creating losing franchises and driving down attendance.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
All of that may be true - but he has a very distinct history of creating losing franchises and driving down attendance.

I don't know if that's true I haven't looked at attendance #'s but he isn't popular among fans of his teams because of the W-L records. I don't know how well liked he is among Arsenal fans over in the UK because I don't follow soccer but a quick Google search leads me to believe those fans feel like the rest, I don't know how successful that team has been though.

His commitment to winning has been called into question by almost everyone who follows his teams that's for sure.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I know that my opinion on Kroenke as an owner is probably a minority opinion. And that I'll take some flak for it.

But please try to consider the following with an open mind.

He is a non interfering owner. That's a GM and HC's dream.
He willingly pays his HC top dollar.
He has deep pockets and doesn't skimp on asst coaches salaries, etc, either.
He's building a fabulous stadium in sunny SoCal which might assist in attracting FA's.
His team spends right up to the cap.
His hire of Demoff makes cap management a non problem in retaining most FA's. A huge boost for the GM and HC.

His Achilles heel as an owner, IMO? He made a mistake with the Fisher hire. He wanted to install a "Patriot Way" FO. The efficiency and longevity were very enticing, no doubt.

The problem is that Fisher is no Bellichek. Fisher has a huge hole in his O game strategy. Not to mention stubbornness and inflexibility issues.

So, while he may not be my favorite person, Kroenke gets high marks from me regarding his overall ownership philosophies from the pov of Ram fans and future HC candidates.

As an aside, I seriously doubt that Fisher would have lasted this long with any other owner.

Other opinions may vary. Lol.

Somehow I knew this would come back to your complete and total dislike for Fisher.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Way too soon to get me to say anything nice about him as an owner or person.

Maybe- maybe he brings more exposure to our team, refs quit screwing us and the NFL decides to be kind to us.... so give me another 5 years and hopefully I won't despise him...

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I like the fact that he leaves the team to the GM and Head coach. Now with that said , finding a head coach is like landing that QB. The successfull coaches have the great or above average QB on the team. The recent acception I can think of lately is John Fox.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I don't know how well liked he is among Arsenal fans over in the UK because I don't follow soccer but a quick Google search leads me to believe those fans feel like the rest, I don't know how successful that team has been though.

He's pretty stingy for Arsenal but when you look at the payroll of the team vs the Big 3 (Manchester United, Chelsea, and Manchester City), it's rather impressive that he's been able to field a team that stays in the Top 5 of the EPL as well as Champions League berths. I don't expect him to spend big money on star players anytime soon with that new stadium he's building for the Rams.

I'm fine with him as an NFL owner as long as he has a philosophy that is capable of winning Super Bowls but as OP said, Fisher is a questionable hire with regards to his ability to make personnel decisions.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's be honest here folks... Kronkoe really doesn't care about the Rams, or else he would be more involved. I'm sure he'd like to see them go 16-0. But what really matters to Kroenke is the game of money, business, and winning. The Rams are only a railroad or hotel or boardwalk he owns in his personal game of Monopoly. Just my thoughts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams are an elite franchise now. High value team in a high population city. Power owner who is patient and who lets his people do their jobs.

The future for us is blindingly bright man. It doesn't matter if Fish succeeds, either. Even if he fails next year this organization is going to win because the groundwork has been laid and this would be the most coveted job in the league if and when it comes open.

Psycho_X

Legend
Winning is the only cure and so far the Kroenke/Fisher combo hasn't found what it takes. Something better change soon or else we'll just be a sad, pathetic version of the Bengals who don't even make it to the playoffs to lose.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I like that SK doesn't get involved. The Rams would be guaranteed to never win if he did that. If he has made a mistake it might be hiring the wrong people to run the team. But get the right people (maybe snead/fisher are the right guys) to run things and then stay the fuck away, please.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Rams are an elite franchise now. High value team in a high population city

So what? It won't mean much if Stan treats the team as an asset vs. winning football. I have my doubts about Stan. Will he make the stadium area all Rams like Robert Kraft did with his "Patriots Place?" (say what you want about him, but NEs gameday atmosphere is amazing).

In other words, will the LA Rams be the new Dallas Cowboys or the Carolina Panthers?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
He's pretty stingy for Arsenal but when you look at the payroll of the team vs the Big 3 (Manchester United, Chelsea, and Manchester City), it's rather impressive that he's been able to field a team that stays in the Top 5 of the EPL as well as Champions League berths. I don't expect him to spend big money on star players anytime soon with that new stadium he's building for the Rams.

I'm fine with him as an NFL owner as long as he has a philosophy that is capable of winning Super Bowls but as OP said, Fisher is a questionable hire with regards to his ability to make personnel decisions.

I was just at the Arsenal vs Chelsea game at the Emirites this past Sunday and drank many pints with my fellow Gooners and they have no issue with Kroenke more so than Wenger - the Arsenal board have money available but Wenger is really prudent with his purchases and won't buy unless they are a serious upgrade over when they have currently or in the pipeline - thing is Arsenal have loads of talent and are closer this year to winning the league than they have been for the past 12 years

Stan let's his football people handle football operations - they have bought Ozil, Sanchez, and the best signing of the year in Cech

RamzFanz

Damnit
While the formula of non-interfering and delegation may work well with the right people, nothing Kroenke has ever said or done leads me to believe the Rams are anything but an ATM for him. I'd be absolutely shocked if he knew most of the player's names or any real history of the Rams. Prettying the team up and making more money off of them isn't a formula for success if he's not emotionally attached to them winning. If his goal is to win enough games to sell enough tickets to maintain their new value, that's not a winning philosophy, it's a bean counter philosophy that leads to mediocrity and settling for personnel because they don't rock the boat and are good enough to reach his goal.

When he wants to talk Rams, does he call his accountant? I think he does.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I don't know how well liked he is among Arsenal fans over in the UK because I don't follow soccer but a quick Google search leads me to believe those fans feel like the rest, I don't know how successful that team has been though.

The thing with Arsenal is they have one of the best managers of all time, Ferguson was always above him, but now that he's retired and Mourinho has been sacked he's probably the best manager in English football currently, although the way it's going Ranieri may take that title...anyway my point is without Wenger he'd be more hated than he currently is.

bluecoconuts

Legend
While the formula of non-interfering and delegation may work well with the right people, nothing Kroenke has ever said or done leads me to believe the Rams are anything but an ATM for him. I'd be absolutely shocked if he knew most of the player's names or any real history of the Rams. Prettying the team up and making more money off of them isn't a formula for success if he's not emotionally attached to them winning. If his goal is to win enough games to sell enough tickets to maintain their new value, that's not a winning philosophy, it's a bean counter philosophy that leads to mediocrity and settling for personnel because they don't rock the boat and are good enough to reach his goal.

When he wants to talk Rams, does he call his accountant? I think he does.

He put out a personal letter about Sam Bradford when we traded him, and he was pretty emotional when discussing the Rams relocation back to LA. I think people assume that due to him staying out of the spotlight he doesn't care/know about the team, but it appears to not be the case. Kroenke is a pretty sharp guy, seems to be more connected than not. He's walking around the lockerroom and watching the games every Sunday, why wouldn't he know the team?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Somehow I knew this would come back to your complete and total dislike for Fisher.

Actually, I like Fisher, Selassie I. Does that surprise you?

He has many qualities that I admire.

Hell, I'd enjoy having a beer with him.

My point is that my opinion of Fisher is NOT personal.

I consider him a limited HC with a tone deaf like lack of understanding in O matters. And far too much stubbornness to make the necessary corrections.

I'll give you a humorous personal example to illustrate what I'm talking about. I'm a hopeless klutz when it comes to home repair/improvement matters. Eventually, I figured out that it was far quicker and far less expensive to hire the professional plumber or electrician in the first place before I tortured myself and my family by making a fool of myself.

I think Fisher is in that boat with O matters, frankly. An experienced OC, if given full authority, would do wonders for Fisher's W/L record. But now, even if he could bring himself to do it, it's probably a too little, too late situation.

RamzFanz

Damnit
he was pretty emotional when discussing the Rams relocation back to LA

He was slightly emotional that he was approved to move to LA after the vote. I'd be emotional too if my NFL team just doubled in value.

You saw him walking around the locker room and watching the games? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I sure didn't. I never saw him at TC or the draft either. I mean, when he wasn't in LA pretending the Dallas TCs with his biggest ally was a coincidence. Did you? Have you ever heard him just talk football?

His statement about Sam, not letter, has every earmark of an emotionless statement written by someone else with zero personal insight or relationship with that person.

"Throughout his five years with the Rams, Sam has been a consummate professional,” Rams Owner E. Stanley Kroenke said. “We thank Sam for his dedication to our team and community and wish him and his family the best moving forward."

That pretty much sums up his emotion.

Last edited:

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I think Stan does care and he does get emotional.

His eyes teared up while giving a speech at the Forum a couple of week back.

Also according to Sam Farmer, he started crying while giving an interview to the LA Times.

Besides the people in STL, anyone who knows Stan personally says good things about him. I've never really heard anyone talk bad about him outside of STL.

Status
Not open for further replies.