so what's the verdict on Mr Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a good backup, that is all. He has a terrible deep ball, which is why he'll never be anything more than a backup. He's better than I thought he'd be when I watched him last year, but as the season plays out, the Austin Davis hyperbole from the fans will come back down to Earth...

I thought he threw well to all spots..He's very fun to watch. Also he looks much better than a good back up.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
How much you want to bet Hill's "thigh injury" starts bothering him again and Davis is the starter in week 5?

Starting to sound a lot like Finnegan's "injuries" last year.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious where the ESPN's of the world rank AD this week?
Had to add I love the kid! I haven't been this excited about a QB in a long time. Sam Bradford goes down and I thought the season might be over. We get our butts kicked by the Vikings, then I really need some glimmer of hope and AD is it with the past 2 starts.

Rams0307

His deep ball is actually pretty darn amazing. He was the most accurate QB in the league going into this week in terms of deep passing and he was inches from hitting Britt on those two long balls, hit Quick in stride on another deep ball for a TD, and hit Britt on that jump ball putting it just outside the reach of Claiborne.

I'm more concerned about his vision at the LOS than his deep ball. It seems like he has some issues seeing over the line clearly and teams can fool him by dropping DLs and backers just behind the DL out of his sight-line.
I thought he threw well to all spots..He's very fun to watch. Also he looks much better than a good back up.

He overthrew his deep ball 4 different times. 3 of which were to Kenny Britt, who was wide open each time and very possibly would have gone in for a TD. His pass to Quick was a good pass no doubt. But he overthrows his receivers often when he throws it down field.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that Davis gives us what some wanted from Johnny Football. And he is playing better than JFF!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He overthrew his deep ball 4 different times. 3 of which were to Kenny Britt, who was wide open each time and very possibly would have gone in for a TD. His pass to Quick was a good pass no doubt. But he overthrows his receivers often when he throws it down field.

You can argue with me all you want...coming into this game, Austin Davis was #1 in the NFL by over 26% in deep passing accuracy percentage. There's no arguing that he's not accurate on the deep ball. And his over-throws to Britt were by a slim margin.

His deep ball has been accurate and on point. When he has missed, it has not been by much.

Rams0307

You can argue with me all you want...coming into this game, Austin Davis was #1 in the NFL by over 26% in deep passing accuracy percentage. There's no arguing that he's not accurate on the deep ball. And his over-throws to Britt were by a slim margin.

His deep ball has been accurate and on point. When he has missed, it has not been by much.

Apparently there is arguing it because you keep doing it. You have to define what a deep ball is when you're stating that. His throw past Britt in the 1st was 5 yds in front of him...I'll wager he doesn't make the top 15 in deep ball accuracy this year...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently there is arguing it because you keep doing it. You have to define what a deep ball is when you're stating that. His throw past Britt in the 1st was 5 yds in front of him...I'll wager he doesn't make the top 15 in deep ball accuracy this year...

DeepPassing_zps5cd99dad.png

They define it as 20+ yards in the air(from the LOS). This week hasn't yet been added in.

And now, I'm done arguing it.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
Austin Davis has 1 completion of 40+ yards per NFL.com.

So does Brees, Cutler, Flacco, Locker, Palmer, Rodgers....

Wilson, Kaeperprick, Newton, Tannehill, Smith, dont' have any.

Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, Manning have 2.

Your point is...what exactly?

Rams0307

So does Brees, Cutler, Flacco, Locker, Palmer, Rodgers....

Wilson, Kaeperprick, Newton, Tannehill, Smith, dont' have any.

Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, Manning have 2.

Your point is...what exactly?

We were discussing deep ball accuracy. I asked the poster what his parameter was for deep ball accuracy because he said it was the best in the NFL. I stated that he has 1 completion over 40+ yds. He said he's using a parameter of 20+ yds. Just using different stats.

Athos

Legend
I'd consider anything 20 and over deep as well.

Intermediate in my mind, is 11-20.

Wonderboy

Rookie
I was unconvinced of AD being anything special after last week. I didn't get the fuss that was being made of him. I thought his play was positive but not superb. I was much more impressed with today's effort and now want to see more of him. Nobody could convince me that Shaun Hill will absolutely be better than AD going forward.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yup as I said, he threw the balls well, a deep TD, and the other three were pretty close. All I really remember was that TD.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can we lock him up for 5 years, 5 million now? Cuz he might get expensive later.

moklerman

Warner-phile
72% completions.
8.0 yards per attempt.
93.1 rating.

I couldn't care less about perceived arm strength. Dude's playing good football and has won the starting job.

In fact, he deserves a helluva lot of credit for making Schottenheimer's offense productive.

Rambition

Rookie
Again, the kid pretty much put up 34 points for the Rams if you factor in Cook's dropped TD, the 4th and goal fail, and the Wells fumble butt snap.
not sure i follow your thinking. are you saying that davis somehow gets credit for jenks' pick 6?

moklerman

Warner-phile
not sure i follow your thinking. are you saying that davis somehow gets credit for jenks' pick 6?
I think he's saying that it wasn't Davis' fault that Cook dropped a TD and that Wells killed a scoring drive that would have been at least a FG. Granted, they're hypothetical points but realistically Davis basically led the team to them.