Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/17/no-way-aaron-donald-skips-the-season/

No way Aaron Donald skips the season
Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2017

460875412-e1502995598822.jpg

Getty Images

The report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter regarding the pessimism surrounding the Aaron Donaldholdout includes a claim from an unnamed source that the Rams defensive tackle may sit out the entire season. Regardless, there’s no way that will happen.

Apart from the fact that hardly any who huff and puff about skipping a full season ever do, Donald gains nothing by not playing this year. He gets no compensation (duh) and, more importantly, he doesn’t get a year of credit toward finishing his contract.

The Rams hold Donald’s rights for two more years. If he skips the full season, they’ll still hold his rights for two more years.

The key will be to show up on time to get the benefit of the Joey Galloway ruling from nearly a generation ago. League insiders believe eight games are the most that can be missed by a player under contract in order to comfortabley take advantage of the Galloway ruling.

Donald already has forfeited a year of service toward free agency, but that doesn’t matter since he’s under contract for two more years. If he misses more than eight games, he risks being in the same position next year that he’s in this year.
So he's probably going to threaten to sit out into the eighth game...aka half the season

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Unfortunately its about as strong as the leverage I have with my wife when I threaten to leave her for Salma Hayek
Well, I got 50% of that done. Now if I could only figure out a way to get Salma on board with the program...:thinking:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
freak em. If I'm McVay I don't want him back at that point.

I'm not quite at that point yet, but not really in the supportive mood either...My attitude gets more harsh with each passing day...If he sits out even ONE regular season game, then I don't really care at all about whether or not he ever signs...As I've said for quite some time, I left the "just pay the man at any cost" group long ago...

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Good that means he will be healthy for the playoff run when we really need him, two years in a row like a cheap rental.

Not really. If he comes in half way, and plays 8 games and we make the playoffs, he can then sit out the playoffs, and put the Rams in a real tough situation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams are playing this right. They're in a position of strength and this is a business. Hardball it is.

Once the season comes, things are going to get more intense. That is when you start to really see the hard feelings that have maybe been building behind the scenes, when the gloves come off. In fact it may have already started with the "leak" to numbnuts about the 3 year buyout. Wouldn't surprise me if the Rams floated that one anonymously for image protection in preparation for AD's camp digging in.

AD has very little leverage, so I still think this thing will get done. But man. If his demands are out of control and he's willing to dig in, it's going to get fugly.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
The idea of him sitting out the entire 2017 is the only leverage he has.
Unfortunately its about as strong as the leverage I have with my wife when I threaten to leave her for Salma Hayek
salma-hayek-1024.jpg

"Dieter, Darling. when are you going to step away from that silly computer, and come give me some loving?"

FRO

Legend
If you trade Donald, where will the pash rush come from? Guys like him are extremely rare. Great players cost money. The Rams went cheap on Jenkins and lost a very good CB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The mental midgets on reddit are discussing trade options for AD. One genius Raider fan suggest Mack for AD and a 2nd. Then backed off because he said that wasn't enough for Mack. hahahaha

The OP it seems a Pats fan suggested Gronk, Butler and a 2nd for him. No thanks to that too.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The mental midgets on reddit are discussing trade options for AD. One genius Raider fan suggest Mack for AD and a 2nd. Then backed off because he said that wasn't enough for Mack. hahahaha

The OP it seems a Pats fan suggested Gronk, Butler and a 2nd for him. No thanks to that too.

Ummm. . . Mack and a 2nd for AD. Yes?

Edit. I got that second backwards. But i think I'd still consider

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

A guy drafted higher than Aaron. Has produced arguably as much. Has won Defensive player of the year. Also saw his QB get the highest billing in the entire NFL and is still in camp - on a similar term contract to Aaron.

Yes. I'll take that deal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Edit. I got that second backwards. But i think I'd still consider

Fuck no. I'd lean towards no on Mack + a 2nd for AD. I'd hang up the call as soon as they offered Mack for AD and a 2nd. AD is a better player at a more valuable position. And we don't have anyone to replace him.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
freak no. I'd lean towards no on Mack + a 2nd for AD. I'd hang up the call as soon as they offered Mack for AD and a 2nd. AD is a better player at a more valuable position. And we don't have anyone to replace him.

I kind of would like to hear more. I love AD. He can be an absolute disruption.

I also think Mack can be and has been. They will both demand loads of money. But Mack was drafted the same year, we haven't heard a thing out of his camp, and he plays with the highest played player in the league.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kind of would like to hear more. I love AD. He can be an absolute disruption.

I also think Mack can be and has been. They will both demand loads of money. But Mack was drafted the same year, we haven't heard a thing out of his camp, and he plays with the highest played player in the league.

Mack is going to get the same sort of contract AD gets. Whether it happens this year or next, it will happen. Frankly, I'd rather we pay AD this year. If we wait a year, someone will likely set the market price even higher than it currently is.

As for what Mack is, there's an argument that he's as good as AD. But he plays a position with a lot more talent at it. AD is one of a handful of guys who can provide consistent disruption from the interior DL and challenge double digit sacks every year. There are many guys who can rush the passer at a high level from the outside. Mack does it well as almost anyone, but I'd rather have the guy with the more scarce skill-set. AD is a lot harder to replace than Mack. Hell, Quinn might be able to provide us Mack-level pass rushing if he stays healthy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A guy drafted higher than Aaron. Has produced arguably as much. Has won Defensive player of the year. Also saw his QB get the highest billing in the entire NFL and is still in camp - on a similar term contract to Aaron.

Yes. I'll take that deal.
Sorry not a chance! AD is just as good a player if not more when you consider position. Contracts are going to be about the same. And I think the AD hold out has more to do with the agent than the player. I'll be highly disappointed if he misses any regular season games though.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

any trade for Donald at least for me starts with the words

"two 1sts and ....."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quinn might be able to provide us Mack-level pass rushing if he stays healthy.

I think with the recent injuries we've kind of forgotten how elite Quinn can be rushing the passer.

At 27, and another year removed from his most serious downtime, Quinn could "seemingly come out of nowhere" and surprise like that.