Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Believe it or not, the wins you DO get might be due in large part to STUDS like Aaron Donald. I can think of a game right off the bat against Seattle a couple of years back. Donald stuffed Marshawn Lynch for a loss, ending the game in OT, sealing the win. No way to know for sure if the Rams would have lost that game without that play...but give Pete Carroll a first down at that point with that field position, I would not have liked our chances.

Thanks Aaron Donald, for not playing like :poop: when it counted.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Bottom line? We're still a losing team WAY under .500 occupying the cellar with or without Donald.

Again, like I mentioned previously, I'm not advocating a Donald trade. I'm just saying it might not be the end of the world. We've already been stinking the place up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bottom line? It takes a complete team to win games in this league....Otherwise, I expect an Andrew Luck dumping any moment now for that 4200+ yard passing performance in a non-winning effort last year by the Colts.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Not sure if I understand what you are asking, but it seems like you're asking if he sits out enough this season for it not to count toward restricted/unrestricted FA can the rams add another 5th year option onto his contract? Assuming thats what you are asking, the answer is no. If a player sits out it still counts as a year on his contract, it just doesnt count on a year toward becoming a unrestricted FA (need to play 4+ years to become a unrestricted FA). If they could just slap on another year to his contract, it would be entirely pointless for him (or any player) to miss a season then.

What I was saying is that at the end of this year he's a third year player according to the CBA, because he didn't report by August 8. If he's a third year player according to the CBA can he be contractually obligated to the "fifth year" option on his contract? He hasn't even been in the league 4 years to enter the fifth year, again only according to the legalese of the CBA. Again, according to the CBA after his third year, which will be after this year because he lost this year's eligibility already, the team has a right to a fifth year option. We would have to lose that option because his fourth year of contract is gone, but his fifth year of player eligibility is still 2 years away. But then the team wouldn't have the fifth year option they should have. So they must have the fifth year option we already exercised, but on a third year player. Which makes no sense.

My point after all that, was that his contact years and his player eligibility years won't match. I don't know, and last time we had this conversation no one else did either, how the language of the contract reads as far as specifying years of the contract or player eligibility years for the fifth year option, or if that's directly from the CBA and uses his player eligibility years or contact years.

Basically the math turned weird and no one knows how much of a legal leg he'll have to stand on it next year he throws another fit saying he can't play on fifth year option if he's not a fourth year player earning his fifth year of eligibility. Maybe that's the Gambit he's playing. Maybe (big hairy stupid conspiracy theory maybe) he wants off the Rams and his agent thinks that if he sits out this year he can't be a third year player in a fifth year of contact, so he hits restricted agency knowing that somebody will price the Rams out of the market for him.

That was long... And confusing. Sorry.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Merlin Olsen was into his sixth season and Deacon Jones his seventh before the Rams went to the playoffs with those two.

Trading Donald only pushes the Rams competitive window further away.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
What I was saying is that at the end of this year he's a third year player according to the CBA, because he didn't report by August 8. If he's a third year player according to the CBA can he be contractually obligated to the "fifth year" option on his contract? He hasn't even been in the league 4 years to enter the fifth year, again only according to the legalese of the CBA. Again, according to the CBA after his third year, which will be after this year because he lost this year's eligibility already, the team has a right to a fifth year option. We would have to lose that option because his fourth year of contract is gone, but his fifth year of player eligibility is still 2 years away. But then the team wouldn't have the fifth year option they should have. So they must have the fifth year option we already exercised, but on a third year player. Which makes no sense.

My point after all that, was that his contact years and his player eligibility years won't match. I don't know, and last time we had this conversation no one else did either, how the language of the contract reads as far as specifying years of the contract or player eligibility years for the fifth year option, or if that's directly from the CBA and uses his player eligibility years or contact years.

Basically the math turned weird and no one knows how much of a legal leg he'll have to stand on it next year he throws another fit saying he can't play on fifth year option if he's not a fourth year player earning his fifth year of eligibility. Maybe that's the Gambit he's playing. Maybe (big hairy stupid conspiracy theory maybe) he wants off the Rams and his agent thinks that if he sits out this year he can't be a third year player in a fifth year of contact, so he hits restricted agency knowing that somebody will price the Rams out of the market for him.

That was long... And confusing. Sorry.

Nah I get what you're saying, and from my understanding of the situation (and it could be wrong, im no expert) you are wrong. Once the Rams agreed to his 5th year option, he now had a contract totaling 5 years. And retirement aside, every year counts toward that contract. The whole by CBA standard him only having 3 years if he sits out this season is in terms of counting toward restricted/unrestricted free agency (less than 4 years of NFL experience and you are a RFA). so no matter if he sits out or not, the rams only have him currently under contract until after the 2018/19 season, and him sitting out or not will only effect his free agency status in 2019. hope I explained that well enough

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Nah I get what you're saying, and from my understanding of the situation (and it could be wrong, im no expert) you are wrong. Once the Rams agreed to his 5th year option, he now had a contract totaling 5 years. And retirement aside, every year counts toward that contract. The whole by CBA standard him only having 3 years if he sits out this season is in terms of counting toward restricted/unrestricted free agency (less than 4 years of NFL experience and you are a RFA). so no matter if he sits out or not, the rams only have him currently under contract until after the 2018/19 season, and him sitting out or not will only effect his free agency status in 2019. hope I explained that well enough

Oh no. Common sense dictates that he'll be under contract next year. I think he'll be under contract next year from his current contact of nothing else. There was a comment made here a few days ago that I may be remembering incorrectly, that something about the contract times compared to player eligibility times might have an outside chance of causing an issue. That was all I was getting at. Then I got distracted by the ridiculous conspiracy theory that is about as likely as JFK shot by werewolf space pirates.

When it comes to sneaky lawyers, one never knows. But yes, we already picked up a fifth year, we get a "fifth" year even if he sits out the fourth year.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Unless he's asking for 25 to 30 M, pay the man. And if his agents were seeking an opt out clause, that just means, to me, that AD is planning on continuing total dominance that even at 21 M he will still be underpaid in 3 years. I wouldn't agree to a 1- sided opt- out, but would consider additional incentives based on continuing dominating performance in years 3+ that would likely keep him the highest paid D player. He's that good. I think they'll get this contract done and it will be somewhat unique and groundbreaking. And if they don't, unless AD's side was being totally unreasonable, I won't blame AD, I'll blame the Rams.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't see the upside for Donald in sitting out 2017 at all. I'm hoping this is just smoke

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
I say screw him, think how pissed he's going to be when we win the Super Bowl and he ends up signing with the Browns.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If he sits 2017, then what? He is a year older and he is still under Rams control. Now what's the plan?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see the upside for Donald in sitting out 2017 at all. I'm hoping this is just smoke
The idea of him sitting out the entire 2017 is the only leverage he has.
Unfortunately its about as strong as the leverage I have with my wife when I threaten to leave her for Salma Hayek

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/17/no-way-aaron-donald-skips-the-season/

No way Aaron Donald skips the season
Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2017

460875412-e1502995598822.jpg

Getty Images

The report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter regarding the pessimism surrounding the Aaron Donaldholdout includes a claim from an unnamed source that the Rams defensive tackle may sit out the entire season. Regardless, there’s no way that will happen.

Apart from the fact that hardly any who huff and puff about skipping a full season ever do, Donald gains nothing by not playing this year. He gets no compensation (duh) and, more importantly, he doesn’t get a year of credit toward finishing his contract.

The Rams hold Donald’s rights for two more years. If he skips the full season, they’ll still hold his rights for two more years.

The key will be to show up on time to get the benefit of the Joey Galloway ruling from nearly a generation ago. League insiders believe eight games are the most that can be missed by a player under contract in order to comfortabley take advantage of the Galloway ruling.

Donald already has forfeited a year of service toward free agency, but that doesn’t matter since he’s under contract for two more years. If he misses more than eight games, he risks being in the same position next year that he’s in this year.