Snead: if Donald decided to not report, it's something the organization "has to respect."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
donald doesn't strike me as an ego problem player. but he does look like the kind of guy that won't take being disrespected. the rams didn't leave much in the kitty to extend him. they're gonna have to get creative.

Come on man, you I and everybody on here have no idea what the contract offers have been and if they're fair or not. You're speculating and trying to cast blame on the FO when we don't know a damn thing that's been said between the two sides. This topic is bad enough without guessing like this.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Donald may be a great player, but ethical standards should still stand for something. Donald signed a contract and we should all expect him to abide by his word and signature. I'd fine him the max for missing time. The Rams like every other team has a CAP, the money just doesn't exist today without cutting other valuable team members. Had we not given TruJo the franchise tag, this would probably be a settled issue with Donald by now, but it's not up to Donald to decide which players are deserving of a job. We can't just throw away long-term contracts every time a player has a good year, these guys must learn to live within the rules established by the union as well as the league, ... or find a career elsewhere where there are no rules. The Rams still have all the leverage, he is under contract for two more years and then they can franchise tag him for two more if it comes down to it, ... and it won't. He'd be crazy to sit out the season. Agents that push players to violate contracts should lose their license. The available CAP will exist for him next year without destroying team structure today. Pure selfishness on his agent and Donald's part. I could care less about whining over it any longer. If he's not reporting by the first day of the season, I start looking for teams that will trade for him, and be willing to sacrifice top players/draft picks to us. jmo.

Last edited:

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Donald may be a great player, but ethical standards should still stand for something. Donald signed a contract and we should all expect him to abide by his word and signature. I'd fine him the max for missing time. The Rams like every other team has a CAP, the money just doesn't exist today without cutting other valuable team members. Had we not given TruJo the franchise tag, this would probably be a settled issue with Donald by now, but it's not up to Donald to decide which players are deserving of a job. We can't just throw away long-term contracts every time a player has a good year, these guys must learn to live within the rules established by the union as well as the league, ... or find a career elsewhere where there are no rules. The Rams still have all the leverage, he is under contract for two more years and then they can franchise tag him for two more if it comes down to it, ... and it won't. He'd be crazy to sit out the season. Agents that push players to violate contracts should lose their license. The available CAP will exist for him next year without destroying team structure today. Pure selfishness on his agent and Donald's part. I could care less about whining over it any longer. If he's not reporting by the first day of the season, I start looking for teams that will trade for him, and be willing to sacrifice top players/draft picks to us. jmo.
Who says they have to cut players to sign him now? You sign him to what you can afford for this season then guarantee him extra $ over the next several seasons, regardless of injury, so it averages out to x$ per year. That's probably the framework they are negotiating, just trying to agree on the total package.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Who says they have to cut players to sign him now? You sign him to what you can afford for this season then guarantee him extra $ over the next several seasons, regardless of injury, so it averages out to x$ per year. That's probably the framework they are negotiating, just trying to agree on the total package.

Point being the Rams currently have under $5.mil in available 2017 CAP. We just lost one potential starting DE/DT to injury and we haven't yet entered our final phase of waivers or CAP casualty cut free agency. Traditionally, NFL teams don't like to begin a season with less than $2-$3mil on hand for signing emergency injury replacement players, so the team isn't capable of giving Donald a huge signing bonus and extended contract based 2017 numbers. Now, if the Rams & Donald are technically working on a 2018 extension/bonus that doesn't affect 2017 numbers by more than $1-$2 million bucks, perhaps this will meet with league approval. The only other way I know to find money this season would require other highly paid players to restructure contracts or become CAP casualties prior to the end of training camp. The two big roadblocks for extending Donald this year are TruJo's franchise tag & Austin's early & enormous payday. I honestly believe the Rams F/O may have been caught slightly unaware, rightfully thinking they would have another year to worry about Donald, and with the coaching changes/practice facility improvements along with improving the team made thru free agency spending, why would they lose focus because a guy with two years remaining on his contract decides to go rogue ? Donald & his agent are playing hardball, I think they are jumping the gun and just proving the whole 'we not me' slogan meaningless. The Rams don't want to set a bad precedent by allowing players under contract to dictate new terms, and I for one would support the team for fining Donald the max allowable. jmo.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Show up for work Donald. If not, pay the fine without a word of bitching.

No work, no pay. It's that simple.

I just completed a contract. A new position was negotiated just prior to the contract's end. There were negotiations beginning in March but I still showed up everyday to fulfill my end of the contract. There was no respect lost in the process.