Snead: if Donald decided to not report, it's something the organization "has to respect."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
This makes me sick, it is more of an ego thing then about the money. How many millions is enough,when they start this stuff it leaves me with a lower opinion of them. He is behaving like a self centered child.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't believe it has come to this. The rams knew a year ago Donald would expect an extension this season if he continued playing like an all pro. They're not sure about tru but give him $16m, they leave the best defender in the nfl in the lurch. Crazy.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Two things.

Beckham and Mack appear to be getting far better advice from their agents than is AD.

I've read that AD already has a self paid injury insurance policy. If true, then he has less to fear about joining camp than we had first thought.

But not to worry, fellas. This will work out, one way or another.

Probably in 7-10 days or so. Rams are holding all the cards and appear to be calling the bluff.

nanotech

Rookie
The Rams should not go beyond what is reasonable just to make a statement to the LA audience. On the surface, we not me, seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
I can appreciate worrying about future injury and lifespan related to NFL players. It seems he has already made, and will make in the next two years, enough money to have him and his family live comfortably for the rest of his life. I am sure the offer the Rams have made for his future services goes far beyond that.
If it is about financial pecking order, then I am definitely not on his side. That implies ego that is destructive.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams should not go beyond what is reasonable just to make a statement to the LA audience. On the surface, we not me, seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

if we not me means screwing your best player then i'm not down with it. they knew what they had in donald 3 years ago and had all that time to work on a plan to keep him happy this season yet here we are, donald is made to look like the bad guy.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Just pay the man ffs! He's a once in a generation talent.

Don't care about how long he's got left on the existing contract or whether he's being disloyal and all that nonsense.

He's a future hall of famer. Backload the new deal after this year so TruJo's ridiculous salary this year doesn't hamstring the whole thing.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I understand Donald's side of this, I really do. He has outplayed his contract and nobody could argue differently.

At the same time, he needs to accept a few realities. The first one is that the Rams currently have limited cap space, particularly with the franchise tag on Tru (which pisses me off at Tru because it doesn't seem like he has been willing to negotiate with the Rams much). Tru's number will be off the books next year, and if Tru is on the roster next year (which I'm doubting at this point), it will be at a smaller number.

We also have other guys to pay, like Ogletree, who, while not a once in a generation talent, is most definitely a keeper.

Third, a new defense is being installed, and missing significant time is not going to help him or his teammates.

I would love to know what the hold-up is. Obviously the Rams recognize that Donald has overplayed his current contract, otherwise they would not be negotiating a new deal with him in the first place. But given salary cap realities, they cannot give him that much of a raise this season. For future seasons, yes, but not this one. I just hope Aaron can accept that and allow for a deal that squares with the Rams current situation. Every indication is that they are trying to work with him. I'd like to see some indication from his side that he's willing to do the same.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See peeps are screaming pay the man and I agree to an extent ...say the Rams offered 6 year 110 mil contract 70 guaranteed

What I'd AD Scoffed at it and wants a 5 year 140 mill 90 guaranteed .... the FO has the TEAM to think about

I want AD to be a ram for a life but in a salary cap league pay the man isn't a fair shout ... should he be the highest paid defensive player .. fuck yeah ... but that's the thing with negotiations they tend to be a two way street

Until we know details of the offer let's calm out tits .. and Ad should be in camp

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
It makes no sense for him to go to camp, get injured and lose out on a huge payday. Especially for training camp.

Look at it from another perspective. Would you still agree with your thinking if you give him big money and he gets injured during TC?

I agree he needs to get paid, but he still has two years left on his contract, plus it appears the Rams are trying to get something done, and it's going to take time given their cap space. The longer he sits out the further behind he gets with Wade's defense. Add to it he's being fined $40K each day for not being at camp. I blame the Rams FO for this problem, especially extending Austin last year and tagging Johnson for the 2nd straight year. They should have known Donald is a franchise player and should have been a priority before Austin and Johnson.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
If he holds out the whole time until he has to report to earn the years service it could cost him millions. He'll be fined more than he makes, hope they do if he keeps holding out.
Not only that but ... he IS going to get paid one way or another. And if he chooses to hold out for a deal now, then he is screwing himself long term. His leverage grows going into next year and possibly a FT year. The $$$ then will be much more than anything he would get now. He can protect himself in the short term with an injury insurance policy and gain more leverage as time goes on. This is doing nothing but costing him money and causing a stir in this teams "new beginning".

I don't like this at all. I understand he has out performed but .... he IS under contract for 2 more yrs. Not a "team player" You can either "help" your team or "hurt" it ... and he is choosing the "me" approach. ODB Jr. is "helping" his team make their ascent. AD could be slowing/ruining his team's chance to ascend.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Always bad news....this happens with terrible negotiating tactics.....Demoff and Snead are dropping the ball...You don't upset the BEST PLAYER ON THE DAMN TEAM....SHOULDA BEEN DONE WEEKS AGO...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Always bad news....this happens with terrible negotiating tactics.....Demoff and Snead are dropping the ball...You don't upset the BEST PLAYER ON THE DAMN TEAM....SHOULDA BEEN DONE WEEKS AGO...

I would just LOVE to play Monopoly with you, Champ!. Lol.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Until he misses a regular season game it's just clickbait.

The issue is the interpretation of Donald's age. He's 26. AD doesn't want to get Tru'd. If the Rams want to force him into the 2+2 plan he would be going into FA for the 1st time at 30. Cap wise it's a huge win for the Rams. They get the best years of a HOF player under market value. Can't blame the Rams for that since their analysis might suggest his play as great as it is isn't worth a 20m + cap hit the next 4 years.

AD doesn't want to get tagged bottom line. In FA at 30 he gets a lower overall contract with much less guaranteed $$$. even adding the 2+2 he will get much less career earnings than signing the big contract now and a smaller one later. At the most he can do about it is play the 6 games he's required to get a accrued season.

If this does get a couple games deep into the season then we know both sides are dug in.
The NFL isn't a sport. Its a business. Just wrap head around it and move on.

nanotech

Rookie
if we not me means screwing your best player then i'm not down with it. they knew what they had in donald 3 years ago and had all that time to work on a plan to keep him happy this season yet here we are, donald is made to look like the bad guy.

Screwing your best player? Please show me the data.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Screwing your best player? Please show me the data.

the data is donald not showing for camp. many of us knew he had to be extended this offseason or he would be an unhappy chappy. and here we are. what more data do you need? actual numbers? sometimes you don't need numbers to see what's going on.

nanotech

Rookie
the data is donald not showing for camp. many of us knew he had to be extended this offseason or he would be an unhappy chappy. and here we are. what more data do you need? actual numbers? sometimes you don't need numbers to see what's going on.

Please, show me where the offer(s) the Rams made is/are not respectful of his contributions. Smells of potentially two things: Bad agent advice; ego problems. I do not believe agents are not trying to maximize their income in a process like this. So whose interests are they looking out for?

I am not privy to the negotiations, so I can make no assumptions about whether either side is trying to be fair or placate. If you have more information, please provide. Kind regards.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please, show me where the offer(s) the Rams made is/are not respectful of his contributions. Smells of potentially two things: Bad agent advice; ego problems. I do not believe agents are not trying to maximize their income in a process like this. So whose interests are they looking out for?

I am not privy to the negotiations, so I can make no assumptions about whether either side is trying to be fair or placate. If you have more information, please provide. Kind regards.

donald doesn't strike me as an ego problem player. but he does look like the kind of guy that won't take being disrespected. the rams didn't leave much in the kitty to extend him. they're gonna have to get creative.